Author Topic: Toothpaste Badassity  (Read 6695 times)

Monerexia

• Bristles
Toothpaste Badassity
« on: February 13, 2020, 10:03:30 PM »
Bought tube September 2018. About 30% gone as of today. At this rate it may last three years. And no it is not a huge tube and yes I have teeth and yes two sometimes three brushes/day. BOOM.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Toothpaste Badassity
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 01:40:07 PM »
How is misusing a trivially cheap product 'badass'?. Some quick math tells me your using about 5% of the recomended amount (a pea size). In other words, you're deriving no benefit from it. Might as well brush without it.

This is cheap and unwise, not frugal and badass.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 03:14:20 PM »
How is misusing a trivially cheap product 'badass'?. Some quick math tells me your using about 5% of the recomended amount (a pea size). In other words, you're deriving no benefit from it. Might as well brush without it.

This is cheap and unwise, not frugal and badass.

Haha false dear fellow I get a great foam and only those hypnotized by their corporate overlords use the "recommended amount." That said, I may have to look into going without it bc the whole "toothpaste" thing may be a scam. Stay tuned.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 06:46:46 PM »
Yeah... gonna go with cheap here. Although at some point the dentist will LOVE you. Might take a while, but it will happen.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:14:52 PM »
...and here I thought you were going to brag on using Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide...

Yeah, I'm going to side with the "cheap" chorus.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:41 PM »
Numbers are rolling in guess that means name checks out :)

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 04:55:40 AM »
‘twas ever thus!  One man’s frugal is another’s cheap! :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 05:41:56 AM »
The amount you use isn't really important, even a tiny amount of toothpaste will do its job quite well.

The problem here isn't the amount, it's that the fluoride breaks down over time, so two years after manufacture, the paste starts going from medicinal to just sweet soap.

So yes, this is definitely cheap, but not for the reasons that people think it is.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 07:08:49 AM »
The amount you use isn't really important, even a tiny amount of toothpaste will do its job quite well.

The problem here isn't the amount, it's that the fluoride breaks down over time, so two years after manufacture, the paste starts going from medicinal to just sweet soap.

So yes, this is definitely cheap, but not for the reasons that people think it is.

WTF? Documentation, please. Fluoride is the element fluorine with an extra electron.

You're not going to lose fluoride to any significant degree. There may be other issues, but not losing fluoride.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 08:02:31 AM »

WTF? Documentation, please. Fluoride is the element fluorine with an extra electron.

You're not going to lose fluoride to any significant degree. There may be other issues, but not losing fluoride.

My source is some consensus article from the ADA on standards for toothpaste and something about bioavailability of fluoride over time.

I could dig through course notes from a decade ago, but I'm not that concerned with you believing me, so it's easier to let strangers on the internet assume I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm sure I could get a toothpaste rep to drop off some relevant research at my office if I were curious enough, as I know that sensodyne has research supporting their claim that the Fl- in pronamel is more bioavailable due to the absence of certain compounds that inactivate it or something like that.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:04:05 AM by Malkynn »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »
Doing some online research says there can be a time-based issue of fluoride bioavailability with toothpastes using monofluorophosphate as the fluoride source. The fluoride doesn't break down, it reacts with calcium.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 08:24:32 AM »
Numbers are rolling in guess that means name checks out :)
I would never roll the dice with my oral health.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »
Doing some online research says there can be a time-based issue of fluoride bioavailability with toothpastes using monofluorophosphate as the fluoride source. The fluoride doesn't break down, it reacts with calcium.

*Shrug* a lot of my profs were Francophones, so "breakdown" was probably a linguistic quirk that I never thought much about.

It's also the terminology that the toothpaste companies themselves use to describe it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/basics/nutrition-and-oral-health/does-toothpaste-expire-
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 12:21:57 PM by Malkynn »

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 06:24:46 PM »
the amount you're saving per year is less than the value of the time it took me to read this thread

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »
Cheap.  Not frugal or badass.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 06:47:13 PM »
Who knew there were toothpaste police. Fine impoverish yourselves with exorbitant toothpaste expenditures as for me I will relax into opulence with my savings.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 05:32:43 PM »
Who knew there were toothpaste police. Fine impoverish yourselves with exorbitant toothpaste expenditures as for me I will relax into opulence with my savings.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 07:25:23 PM »

Okay, this was humorous. I got a mental image of someone rolling around laughing in a huge blob of foaming toothpaste. It was the blue gel kind on a white tile floor, in case you were wondering.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 09:51:20 PM »

Okay, this was humorous. I got a mental image of someone rolling around laughing in a huge blob of foaming toothpaste. It was the blue gel kind on a white tile floor, in case you were wondering.

Haha yep and word to the wise if you ever decide to cut down on hot sauce or something best not to post.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 10:17:10 PM »
I have used a pea-sized lump for 30 some years and two total cavities, ever since my kindergarten hosted some "expert" who showed us the correct way to brush. In the decades that have followed, I've sometimes wondered if that advice was only for little kids or if it was supposed to be lifelong wisdom, especially now that I have little ones of my own who also get the pea-sized treatment. But then I shut off this dangerous line of thinking in favor of MORE TOOTHPASTE SAVINGS. 

My wife and I prefer different flavors of the same brand toothpaste (so it comes in the same-sized container). I often needle her over her exorbitant rate of consumption. To her credit, she cuts the tubes in half at the very end to scrape out the last bits of toothpaste. We're a Mustachian family.

I'm with @Monerexia . Toothpaste Badasses of the world, unite!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:33 PM »
There should be a new frugal toothpaste called Monerexia Plus (TM). BOGO on Tuesdays!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 08:28:12 AM »
I have used a pea-sized lump for 30 some years and two total cavities, ever since my kindergarten hosted some "expert" who showed us the correct way to brush. In the decades that have followed, I've sometimes wondered if that advice was only for little kids or if it was supposed to be lifelong wisdom, especially now that I have little ones of my own who also get the pea-sized treatment. But then I shut off this dangerous line of thinking in favor of MORE TOOTHPASTE SAVINGS. 

My wife and I prefer different flavors of the same brand toothpaste (so it comes in the same-sized container). I often needle her over her exorbitant rate of consumption. To her credit, she cuts the tubes in half at the very end to scrape out the last bits of toothpaste. We're a Mustachian family.

I tend to go with a smear for the kids and pea-sized for myself, actually.  Drives me nuts when they put the toothpaste on their toothbrushes themselves and try to make it look like the big loopy blob that gets put on toothbrushes in commercials.  Then it inevitably falls in the sink (if I'm lucky it's the sink) and makes a mess.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »

Yes, the way children are taught to brush is suboptimal, it's a technique designed for small people with tiny teeth and poor dexterity.
The pea sized amount is fine though, and I personally use much less than that. I'm extremely low risk for cavities though, so I would probably be fine if I didn't use toothpaste at all. I typically brush with no toothpaste at all, then brush a tiny amount of toothpaste onto my very clean teeth, spit and don't rinse.

dd564

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »

Brushing teeth became a thing in the U.S. in the early 1900's and was largely pushed to the masses by Pepsodent toothpaste.

I brush my teeth, but the needing to replace a toothbrush every 6 months seems absolutely wasteful where 100 years ago, using a twig was sufficient.

That said, trying to use that little of toothpaste seems cheap at best and possibly a waste of time and effort at worst.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »

Yes, the way children are taught to brush is suboptimal, it's a technique designed for small people with tiny teeth and poor dexterity.
The pea sized amount is fine though, and I personally use much less than that. I'm extremely low risk for cavities though, so I would probably be fine if I didn't use toothpaste at all. I typically brush with no toothpaste at all, then brush a tiny amount of toothpaste onto my very clean teeth, spit and don't rinse.

@Malkynn dropping toothpaste knowledge! Certain forum members never cease to amaze me with their breadth and depth of expertise. Meant sincerely not sarcastically since you can't read my tone.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 11:24:14 AM »

Brushing teeth became a thing in the U.S. in the early 1900's and was largely pushed to the masses by Pepsodent toothpaste.

I brush my teeth, but the needing to replace a toothbrush every 6 months seems absolutely wasteful where 100 years ago, using a twig was sufficient.

That said, trying to use that little of toothpaste seems cheap at best and possibly a waste of time and effort at worst.

I always snicker at this type of argument: "well, 100 years ago such and such wasn't even a thing, so why do we do it now. Must be the EVIL CORPORATIONS TRYING TO SCAM US!"

Seriously, are you completely unaware of the vast difference in oral and dental health between 100 years ago and today?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:32:20 AM by MilesTeg »

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 11:26:03 AM »

I'm not the OP, but I read the OP to be a funny little aside (hey, look at how long this tube of toothpaste is lasting!  Wow, at this rate I won't need another tube forever!) rather than a true effort at increasing FIRE savings by parsimoniously allowing only a few atoms of toothpaste to hit the brush twice a day.  All the "you're so cheap and unhealthy" comments were the posts that I found possibly a waste of time.

That said, I'll still go with a toothbrush and replace is every 3-6 months b/c why would I honestly use a twig?  I also use a refrigerator instead of an icebox.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 11:28:42 AM »

I always snicker at this type of argument: "well, 100 years ago such and such wasn't even a thing, so why do we do it now. Must be the EVIL CORPORATIONS TRYING TO SCAM US!"

Seriously, are you completely unaware of the vast difference in oral and dental health between 100 years ago and today?

Maybe so, but I once was visiting a new dentist for my first cleaning. He said (and this is an exact quote because it was so weird the words burned into my brain) "I recommend all my patients use the Crest Brand family of products." I suspected the sinister agents of Big Tooth had not been idle.

ETA: corrected typo
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:30:52 AM by acepedro45 »

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 11:33:10 AM »

Maybe so, but I once was visiting a new dentist for my first cleaning. He said (and this is an exact quote because it was so weird the words burned into my brain) "I recommend all my patients use the Crest Brand family of products." I suspected the sinister agents of Big Tooth had not been idle.

That your dentist is shilling a particular brand of toothpaste does not mean that toothpaste has no value or provides no benefit.

In some ways modern science has been so successful that it has given lots of folks a false sense of confidence. Lots of folks go on and on about how "people in the olden days didn't do X and they were just fine!". Except, of course, people in the olden days weren't "just fine". They suffered far worse health than a modern person.

dd564

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 01:56:18 PM »

I'm not the OP, but I read the OP to be a funny little aside (hey, look at how long this tube of toothpaste is lasting!  Wow, at this rate I won't need another tube forever!) rather than a true effort at increasing FIRE savings by parsimoniously allowing only a few atoms of toothpaste to hit the brush twice a day.  All the "you're so cheap and unhealthy" comments were the posts that I found possibly a waste of time.

That said, I'll still go with a toothbrush and replace is every 3-6 months b/c why would I honestly use a twig?  I also use a refrigerator instead of an icebox.

I don't recommend a twig.
But a toothbrush that is 9 years old (and occasionally cleaned) I would guess is 99% as effective of cleaning as much as a new toothbrush.
That is all.  (I change my toothbrush about annually myself but I'm not religious about it either).

dd564

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 01:58:03 PM »

I didn't say the evil corporations are trying to scam us.

When you wash and shampoo your hair, do you rinse and repeat?

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 05:39:48 PM »

Right?? You would think I said Top is in.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 06:06:23 PM »

I don't recommend a twig.
But a toothbrush that is 9 years old (and occasionally cleaned) I would guess is 99% as effective of cleaning as much as a new toothbrush.
That is all.  (I change my toothbrush about annually myself but I'm not religious about it either).

A fresh miswak twig is way better than a 9 year old toothbrush. Also, people who use miswak twigs tend to clean much more thoroughly.

So...Yay twigs!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »

Lol!!!

As someone who advises many many dentists on their personal finances, I find it hilarious that people would think that toothpaste companies are somehow significantly financially benefitting dentists.

The most I've ever seen a dentist profit from a toothpaste company was a dentist I know who made $2000 to appear in a Sensodyne commercial.

Toothpaste companies are even stingy with their samples.

So chances are, your previous dentist just really liked Crest. Dentists do tend to have pretty strong opinions about such things. I've seen dentists in raised voice fights over Oral B vs Sonicare brushes...granted, they were really fucking drunk.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Toothpaste Badassity
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2020, 07:28:07 PM »

And that kids, is why your grandparents had dentures.  And they used boar hair brushes. 

TF did you come up with that idea of a twig? Sure, 6 months is crazy.  But saying that brushing is some sort of new fangled toothpaste conspiracy? That’s nuts. 

Plus this whole idea of saving $2 a year on a tube of toothpaste In the badassity forum? This is the bullshit that makes the media LOVES to bash on. Yeah, all us FIRE folks are fucking weirdo, toothbrushless, soapless, no spend asshats that deprive ourselves of all modern conveniences just so we can “retire” at 35.  Sure.  That’s what we are.

Throw some face punches at the real spendy people and go find a coupon for some crest.  And start bragging on some real savings.  Or I’m going to come back with a god damn thread on how I saved $4 this year because I triple wipe with my single ply TP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2020, 04:33:27 AM »

And that kids, is why your grandparents had dentures.  And they used boar hair brushes. 

TF did you come up with that idea of a twig? Sure, 6 months is crazy.  But saying that brushing is some sort of new fangled toothpaste conspiracy? That’s nuts. 

Plus this whole idea of saving $2 a year on a tube of toothpaste In the badassity forum? This is the bullshit that makes the media LOVES to bash on. Yeah, all us FIRE folks are fucking weirdo, toothbrushless, soapless, no spend asshats that deprive ourselves of all modern conveniences just so we can “retire” at 35.  Sure.  That’s what we are.

Throw some face punches at the real spendy people and go find a coupon for some crest.  And start bragging on some real savings.  Or I’m going to come back with a god damn thread on how I saved $4 this year because I triple wipe with my single ply TP.

Me, I'm the one who mentioned the twig. I've mentioned it multiple times, it's a very very good cleaning tool for teeth.

Why is everyone in this thread so anti-twig?

Lol, dude, this thread was very clearly not serious. I'm sure OP seriously doesn't use much toothpaste, but I'm positive that he was sharing in a very light hearted way.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2020, 06:31:59 AM »

Me, I'm the one who mentioned the twig. I've mentioned it multiple times, it's a very very good cleaning tool for teeth.

Lol, dude, this thread was very clearly not serious. I'm sure OP seriously doesn't use much toothpaste, but I'm positive that he was sharing in a very light hearted way.

I think it was @dd564 who first mentioned the twig. I didn't know about the serious twig usage before you commented, though, so I was thinking about the scene in Shakespeare in Love where Gwyneth Paltrow is cleaning her teeth with a twig, and about the twigs from my garden and how they will not be used in my teeth cleaning routine, ever.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 06:47:52 AM »

I think it was @dd564 who first mentioned the twig. I didn't know about the serious twig usage before you commented, though, so I was thinking about the scene in Shakespeare in Love where Gwyneth Paltrow is cleaning her teeth with a twig, and about the twigs from my garden and how they will not be used in my teeth cleaning routine, ever.

Ahhh...I had originally written about the twig in an earlier post, but I guess I had edited it out before posting. It's a common factoid I like to mention whenever debates about oral healthcare come up.

Miswak twigs are still very much used today, even in North America.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2020, 10:15:21 AM »
This morning I accidentally squeezed out a big glob of toothpaste while brushing and thought of my fellow Toothpaste Basasses.

I hope I didn't set my FIRE date back too many seconds.

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2020, 11:12:43 AM »
last night I brought a case of toothpaste to the club and started squeezing them out into the air at our table

I was escorted out shortly after

dd564

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »

I mentioned it, but someone else may have prior to me.

Arguments I'm making:
1. A toothbrush at month 7 is probably still highly effective at executing it's purpose.  In the use of teeth cleaning tools, we've traveled far in 100 years.

2. I hope I'm never in the financial shape where toothpaste usage has a conscious affect on my thoughts on retirement.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »

I'm not a expert by any means . . . but my understanding is that toothbrushes have radically improved oral and dental heath since the 1920s.  Which would indicate that using a twig wasn't actually sufficient.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
last night I brought a case of toothpaste to the club and started squeezing them out into the air at our table

I was escorted out shortly after

You have to buy the overpriced tubes in the club if you want to do that. Or at least so I've heard.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2020, 05:09:21 PM »

I'm not a expert by any means . . . but my understanding is that toothbrushes have radically improved oral and dental heath since the 1920s.  Which would indicate that using a twig wasn't actually sufficient.

Twig is totally sufficient, actually pretty awesome, just takes a lot longer. Don't be down on the twig.

Y'all are super twignorant in this thread.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2020, 05:20:40 PM »
Twig lit
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4436748/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276103510_Miswak_The_miracle_twig

Also, as I mentioned before, the twig is still used in many parts of the world today, it isn't some relic of the past.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
This morning I accidentally squeezed out a big glob of toothpaste while brushing and thought of my fellow Toothpaste Basasses.

I hope I didn't set my FIRE date back too many seconds.

Yes I have done this next time save it in the baggie next to the tube.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2020, 06:17:34 PM »
Apologies.  I didn't mean to twigger anyone.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2020, 06:19:18 PM »

Need I remind you that $4/year in 2.5 years will be $10 and as The Wise One once said, A Millionaire is Made $10 at a time. SPTPFTW!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2020, 06:33:12 PM »
Apologies.  I didn't mean to twigger anyone.

Nice ;)

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 08:17:35 PM »
Twig lit
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4436748/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276103510_Miswak_The_miracle_twig

Also, as I mentioned before, the twig is still used in many parts of the world today, it isn't some relic of the past.

I had actually been reading that NIH link earlier today, after a quick Google search following your last post on the subject. Interesting. I did note that one of the studies said something like you need to use the twig 5 times daily to equate to brushing twice with a standard toothbrush. Will still be sticking with my toothbrush twice daily, but interesting nonetheless.