Author Topic: Thrift Store Shopping  (Read 90371 times)

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
Re: Thrift Store Shopping
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
How about hand washing them in cold water and then laying flat to dry???

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2016, 06:40:35 AM »
How about hand washing them in cold water and then laying flat to dry???

Thanks, I will try that

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2016, 08:17:43 AM »
I have about 70-80 cashmere sweaters from thrift stores (yes, I have a bit of an addiction).

Man, you're not alone. Thrift shopping clothes are my Achille's heel. I don't know if it's the thrill of the hunt, or the fact I can't just "think about it and maybe buy it eventually" as I used to do on regular stores, but I keep going to the thrift store every other week and I always find something I like - a silk scarf, a shirt for the hubs, another linen shirt for me... It's so unmustachian! A few months ago I actually wondered if it could be an addiction!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2016, 01:58:27 AM »
Hehehe, my favourite is scoring a deal and then either posting it her or boasting to my bff. We are love a good find.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »
I've started thrift store shopping recently too.  I have a question:

Does the store treat the clothes with some kind of bug killer to prevent the spread of bedbugs, lice, etc?  Or even - Moths!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFf9GifEHhg

I would assume they have to treat everything coming in.  Is that why the store smells a little funny (I had a sneezing fit in the store once).  I always run my purchases through a cold water wash with a little detergent - hopefully that's enough to clean off any chemicals.  Anyone know more details on this?

Been shopping 80-90% of our famiy's clothes from thrift stores and the like for over a dozen years now and have not yet had a problem with any of the above. I do run everything through a load of wash before wearing. Nothing special - just my usual cold water, delicate cycle and then dryer (or hang dry if needed). I'm curious why you choose to use "a little detergent"? Why not a normal amount of detergent? I wouldn't consider the clothes clean when they come to my house so i treat them just like our own dirty laundry.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »
My wife and I frequent a local thrift store often. It's half a mile from where we live. We know what size everyone in our families wear, so we keep an eye out for really nice stuff for them as well. On Saturday we gave my sister two jackets that we bought from the thrift store. I think we spent $10/each. Retail on each jacket is $75 and $85 respectfully. My mom was super jealous, and my sister who regularly shops at thrift stores for herself and children (an admitted thrift store addict) could care less that they didn't have tags on them and likely came to her second hand. She loved them!

We went back yesterday while they had a store wide 50% off sale and spent $60 and left with $500+ in clothing. A lot of name brand stuff. A pair of express jeans ($5) that retail for $80, Eddie Bauer insulated trekking pants ($5) that retail at $90 etc . We're just north of Seattle where the median income is around $60k per family (much higher for many) and there tends to be some nice things that show up every so often.

Mom will get a couple of really nice running jackets for Christmas to supplement her colorful wardrobe (she runs 30+mi/wk) and she'll be stoked! And we'll have spent $10 on her gift.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »
I'm a massive thrift store shopper. I furnished my entire house from thrift stores (as well as garage sales, curbside and Kijiji) I collect vintage furnishings, decor and housewares. The items in my house have very high resale values and I got them all for pennies on the dollar. I actually ran a vintage shop for years and found all my items from thrift shops. People donate valuable items with no idea their actual worth.

A month ago I bought a mid century tufted turquoise velvet couch set. $120. It is pristine! One of my favourite vintage shops on Queen Street in Toronto (that I only look at never buy from) is selling just the couch (green colour = less desirable) for $4000 and its not pristine.

I doubt my whole house with everything in it cost me more than $5000. I do have a distinctive look because it's all vintage, but I get compliments whenever anyone new enters my house even if they don't get vintage and no one ever believes me when I tell them how much things cost or should I say how little they cost.

haschen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2016, 09:54:48 PM »
Hehehe, my favourite is scoring a deal and then either posting it her or boasting to my bff. We are love a good find.
I'm addicted to thift shops, and I'm doing the same.
I have separate instagram account to share my scores!

My biggest score so far:
Authentic Chanel suit for 24$
It could be sold on ebay for 1000-2000$

I told my husband that we can add it to our networth)))))

Cerastez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »
Thrift stores are also a great place to find hardware items that are ridiculously expensive if you buy them new.  For example, curtain rods, cabinet knobs, and shelf brackets.  I have even replaced a bathroom faucet with one that I bought in a thrift store.  I did have to go buy new ferrules for it, but it was still much cheaper than buying a new faucet.   I have attached a picture of my hallway lights.  They were bought in a thrift store.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:46:14 AM by Cerastez »

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2016, 02:09:43 PM »
Thrift stores are also a great place to find hardware items that are ridiculously expensive if you buy them new.  For example, curtain rods, cabinet knobs, and shelf brackets.  I have even replaced a bathroom faucet with one that I bought in a thrift store.  I did have to go buy new ferrules for it, but it was still much cheaper than buying a new faucet.   I have attached a picture of my hallway lights.  They were bought in a thrift store.

Wow, I love those lights.  Great find.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »
I love thrift store shopping and giving back. Couple weeks ago since I lost alot of weight I really needed some jeans and I am pretty tall so hard to find. I found two pair of really nice banana republic Jeans at Goodwill I thought were new for 10$. Women that checked me out even said something about it.

The otherday my DW and I went to St. Vincent Depaul? and Got my one son a brand new pair of like winterized hiking boats Nike probably 70$ new for 6.99$ and a pair of soccer sweats for my other son for 3$.

I wear alot of flannels, sweatpants and stuff like that so since both are right near where we shop I go in there once or twice a month ahead of needing stuff and to look for good deals.  I have caught several people as well with there phones out pricing things looking to resell which personally I have no time in.

With 4 kids...and my simple taste.. I have learned to live thrift stores the last 2-3 years.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »
Went Saturday to Goodwill. 5 pair work pants, 1 pair nice jeans, and 1 sweater - $40. Score.

Kaivalagi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »
I was on my way to an camping shop to get some winter boots (around £50-60) last night after work and thought I would pop into the charity shop before it closed. I managed to find a lovely pair of faux fur lined ankle boots that will do the job just fine for £8! I also got a pair of brand new trousers, a scarf and a hat for £12. Really pleased with that!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
Went to the thrift store to buy a robe de chambre to wear at the hospital, could you believe they were priced at 10$?! Nope thanks!
Incidentally, once I'm tired of something I don't bring it to the thrift store again, I bring it to swaps, so I can get something I like in exchange, without spending more money. Win-win!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »
My wife frequently shops thrift stores, sometimes even buys things we need:-/
Oh, not fair, she's very frugal and buys in quantity when things are on sale.
However, remember VCRs? She records her soaps on a VCR for later watching.
Well, not many VCRs for sale anymore, so she stocked up when she saw them at
the thrift store, usually $5 or $10 each.
 Six months ago I bought her a neat little tuner that records her
soaps on a thumbdrive. She was slow to adopt the new technology, but now uses
it daily and has better command of how to use it than I do.
 Recently she decided she can lighten up on the the VCRs she bought at the thrift store.
 She ask me to go through some boxes and pick out the best two VCRs and she
would sell the rest in a yard sale.
 She had stocked up with 11 (eleven) VCRs.
This doesn't include the three we already have in use.
Do you think she has a problem?  :-)
  That's rhetorical, I know there are many things I have too many
of, in her opinion, but not mine.  :-)

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2016, 07:51:02 PM »
I also like to buy water bottles at thrift stores. I seem to lose a water bottle every couple years and Mr. Tuxedocat loses 1 or 2 EVERY year. He just lost one at the park a month ago.

My best water bottle purchase was a brand new sigg water bottle for $3 at the thrift store. It is really beautiful too. I am currently using this one for myself. This weekend, I brought a spare, which will probably be for my hubby. It's plain, metal and perfect size for the bike water bottle holder. The price was $2.50 and I feel it's worth around $10, so pretty good.

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:35 AM »
I'm addicted to thift shops, and I'm doing the same.
I have separate instagram account to share my scores!

My biggest score so far:
Authentic Chanel suit for 24$
It could be sold on ebay for 1000-2000$

I told my husband that we can add it to our networth)))))

An authentic Chanel suit! Incredible! Are you sure it was real?

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2016, 01:13:25 AM »
Just piping in here as a new Mustachian! I've enjoyed reading this thread about the thrifty finds from charity stores (or op-shops as we call them in Australia) and so happy there are others who enjoy my passion for op-shopping!

I work in fashion and constantly surrounded by a consumerist culture so enjoy reading other's op-shop adventures. My reasons for op-shopping mainly centre around the desire to find high quality items at a fraction of the price. My style is classic and elegant - I don't follow trends but prioritise looking good and well-groomed. I also donate regularly to op-shops or homeless shelters.

I started op-shopping as a student and continued to do so even though I'm at a salary where I don't necessarily need to. Numerous reasons why I op-shop:

1. Find high quality, long lasting pieces at a fraction of the retail price. Op-shops are in constant oversupply so there's always something good in stock.
2. Reduce clothing waste - people consume and have a 'disposable' mindset given how cheap everything has become to manufacture; an attitude which I found has grown over the past 10 years and is wasteful to the wallet and environment.
3. Save money which I can invest elsewhere.
4. Help op-shops employ disadvantaged people by shopping and keeping their business in the green.

My main tips for op-shopping is seeking out op-shops in well-to-do areas - often I find designer garments with the tags still attached for a discounted price and high-quality items which have been hardly used. It's an affordable way to remain well-dressed without being a sucker to retail shops and being a victim to trends and huge mark-ups.

Greenway52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2016, 03:58:11 PM »
I don't really shop that much as I wear my cloths until their pretty worn out. When I was in University, I bought all my cloths from a thrift store in downtown Toronto (Honest Ed's). Since I finished University and started working I don't go downtown anymore so haven't shopped for cloths in 3 years.

Now, sadly, at the end of 2016 this store is closing. So I've done a couple of trips to the store (more planned) before it closes to bulk up on my cloths so I won't have to shop again for a while. Some of my scores:

- Dress pants: $0.99 each
- Socks - $0.33 each
- Dress shirts: $6.99 each

The only thing I couldn't find a good deal for was dress shoes. It cost $20. If anyone knows where I can buy men's dress shoes for less than $20, let me know. I've looked at Walmart and Value Village and couldn't find better deals.

I've bought a bunch of each of those items (except the dress shoes), so I'm hoping I won't have to shop for cloths for another 5 years at least.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »

- Dress pants: $0.99 each
- Socks - $0.33 each
- Dress shirts: $6.99 each

I really wonder how these places set their prices. I hear ranges from 0.25 to 5$ for the same item, depending from the place/store... what creates a 2000% difference?!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »
Does anyone know where to find men's cashmere sweaters? Mr. Tuxedocat wants one so bad that he is going to buy it new.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »
Does anyone know where to find men's cashmere sweaters? Mr. Tuxedocat wants one so bad that he is going to buy it new.

Rich areas' thrift stores, especially in towns where people are likely to retire.
Otherwise maybe E-bay?

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »
I agree with so much on this topic: making a sustainable and environmental choice by shopping second-hand, supporting jobs, seeing the quality of clothing as most items have already been washed a few times and flaws are easier to avoid.

My recent success story is finding the very same cereal bowls we already had at home. 1 or 2 had broken from my set over the last 10 years and there are always more bowls dirty than any other type of dish (cereal lovers in the house). After having this on my thrift store list for the last few visits and not finding anything right for me, I finally found the perfect ones that can stack with what we already have.

Another benefit I will add: thrift shopping while travelling gives the most unique stories and memories and items. When we went to Japan a few years ago I really wanted a yukata but they were just out of season and not in any retail store. So we went to the 'Book off' shops and found some appropriate and beautiful pieces, plus a new bag so perfect that I threw out the one I was using and immediately started carrying that one instead. It lasted me through everyday use for more than 2 years.  A fantastic 500 yen ($5) find!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
Had a great week at the thrift shops.

* Just when I needed a new bag, a Louis Vuitton tote appeared at my Goodwill for $25. The suede inside was pretty wrecked but I am having it cleaned up at a nearby shoe repair shop and it should be a useful thing for many years to come.
* Someone dropped off a huge All-American pressure canner, new in box, and I got it for $30. Used pressure canners are a somewhat scary prospect but this one still had all the original packaging, instruction manual, warranty card and so on. It seems like perhaps it was a gift that didn't suit? It retails for $200+ so I feel very lucky!

These are my two best finds since I found a Griswold cast-iron skillet for $0.99 several years ago.

Also found some vintage books I can resell. The first one already sold and the $13 profit will be auto-deposited in an investment account.

Rotax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Suburbantoolbox.com
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2016, 04:48:36 PM »
I use to be very down on thrift shopping only because I was finding that some of the larger chain thrift stores were charging only a dollar or two less for men's clothes, compared to new. It wasn't until I started looking for less main stream stores that I realized thrifting was a gold mine where I could simply get 70-80% off every time. I was hooked once I found a place by me called 360 Thrift. I literally felt like I was robbing the place and I think I've been on the thrift circuit ever since. It's like a fun little treasure hunt for me. Another good store for anyone in the Phoenix area is Deseret Industries. The merchandise isn't quite as new but the prices are still better than Goodwill almost every time.

greenbull

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Bullfacts
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
I am a huge fan of thrift shopping, and a word to the wise:
Thrift shopping in some areas can invite bedbugs to your home!  If you live in a city that has had bedbug problems make sure you take your clothes home in a plastic bag, wash them and dry them on high heat.  Be careful with furniture, even wood furniture.

I was lucky enough when my apartment got a bedbug infestation to be one of the few units that didn't have bedbugs.

purephase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2016, 02:51:37 PM »
My daughter loves charity shops (thrift shops in the UK are usually run by charities), she is always finding the craziest clothes that probably belonged to the worst dressed person in town, but when they are combined with the right clothes they can look really good in a left field sort of way, she also never pays more than a couple of pounds for an item.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2016, 12:07:25 AM »
I hit up the thrift store that's a half mile from our house with wifey last week and picked up 3 mens pullover sweaters, 2 Columbia brand and one Exofficio (paid $9, retail is $100).

I sold the nicer Exofficio today for $35, which paid for the other two with dollars to spare.

Today wifey stopped by on the way home from work and picked up a great dress for only $9 that she tells me retails at over $100. She'll wear it tomorrow at my work Christmas party and be super fancy.

I love the thrift store!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2016, 12:26:42 AM »
I hit up the thrift store that's a half mile from our house with wifey last week and picked up 3 mens pullover sweaters, 2 Columbia brand and one Exofficio (paid $9, retail is $100).

I sold the nicer Exofficio today for $35, which paid for the other two with dollars to spare.

Today wifey stopped by on the way home from work and picked up a great dress for only $9 that she tells me retails at over $100. She'll wear it tomorrow at my work Christmas party and be super fancy.

I love the thrift store!

Sweet deals! I have been keeping my eyes open for nice dresses at thrift stores for myself and so far, no luck. I am super impressed that your wife found a fancy dress and has an event lined up to wear it at.

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2016, 12:31:10 AM »
So, I work for a high-end buying office and found out that any samples from vendors which are not sold to staff are donated to charity.

Want that $500 leather jacket that you've been eyeing but can't afford? That $900 knife set? Head to charity stores and you can find it for $10.

All the more reason to shop at thrift shops!

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2016, 05:06:17 PM »
I found a thrift store that is has all clothes 1 dollar every Sunday. It is also a place for developmentally disabled to work AND it has a very convenient drop off for donations at the back that is open when the store is open. So I can get rid of things we don't use, clean up clutter and shop for clothes like crazy knowing they are only 1 dollar each!!Plus it is right down the street from my house!
I bought a nice pair of like new denim capris and a shirt for work that seems brand new today. Cost 2.16 and I get my clothes shopping fix, too. Oh and they have a dressing room! I tried on about 6 things I decided not to buy.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »

I love the thrift store!

Sweet deals! I have been keeping my eyes open for nice dresses at thrift stores for myself and so far, no luck. I am super impressed that your wife found a fancy dress and has an event lined up to wear it at.

Turns out the dress was $11.50, made by Adrianna Papell. The cheapest dress they sell is $100. I couldn't find the dress wifey found on their online selection, but similar dresses see for $220+. She bought it Friday night, and wore it Saturday night for my work Christmas party.

The BEST part was all the compliments she received over the dress, and their reaction when she told them she bought it at the thrift store for $12. All the women were jealous as their dresses were all much more expensive. Hehehehe.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
At the local consignment store I got two brand new pairs of jeans with the tags on them, a winter coat, and a sweater for $45.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2016, 06:45:25 PM »
I'm feeling jealous.  The Goodwill's in my old area (St Louis) were awesome, the ones in my new area (Raleigh) not so much.  Overpriced and piles of clothing that you need to dig through.  I'm going to have to figure out how to work garage sales or just go back to shopping clearance and Ross. 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2016, 08:14:30 PM »
I am a huge fan of thrift shopping, and a word to the wise:
Thrift shopping in some areas can invite bedbugs to your home!  If you live in a city that has had bedbug problems make sure you take your clothes home in a plastic bag, wash them and dry them on high heat.  Be careful with furniture, even wood furniture.

Yeah where I live we have bedbugs problems, I deal with it by sticking my new purchases in the freezer right the moment I get home, leave them there a few days, then was as indicated. Never had any problem.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:43 PM »
Yeah where I live we have bedbugs problems, I deal with it by sticking my new purchases in the freezer right the moment I get home, leave them there a few days, then was as indicated. Never had any problem.

I've seen varying reports on the efficacy of the freezing trick (good for bugs, bad for eggs? vice versa?)... but if you're running stuff through the washer and dryer afterward, the dryer heat should be doing the job.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
We're just north of Seattle where the median income is around $60k per family (much higher for many) and there tends to be some nice things that show up every so often.

Which thrift shop? My favorite that is close to me is the Ballard Goodwill.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
We're just north of Seattle where the median income is around $60k per family (much higher for many) and there tends to be some nice things that show up every so often.

Which thrift shop? My favorite that is close to me is the Ballard Goodwill.

We're actually in Everett, and we're half a mile from the Value Village on Evergreen Way. My sister hits up the Goodwill in downtown Everett on Hoyt Avenue and finds goods stuff there for her children. A couple months ago I bought a Marmot Down Jacket for $4.99. Looks new. Retail cost is $100.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2016, 06:44:09 PM »

I've seen varying reports on the efficacy of the freezing trick (good for bugs, bad for eggs? vice versa?)... but if you're running stuff through the washer and dryer afterward, the dryer heat should be doing the job.

Yeah it goes from the freezer straight to the washing mashine, altho not necessarily the dryer because I have a soft spot for luxury fibers that wouldn't do well in the dryer...

chaseboy2010

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »
Do thrift store purchases have no sales tax?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2016, 02:34:18 AM »

Not that I'm aware of. Definitely not here in Washington state. Sales tax is collected.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »

Depends on the thrift store around here...  Church-owned stores do not.  (Deseret Industries, that little Catholic thrift store, etc.)  The rest do (Goodwill, Saver's, etc.)

piethief

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »
My wife, who does all the clothes shopping for everyone except me in the family, buys most clothes especially for the kids, at the thrift store.  They are usually new (or new-like) and cost a buck or three, instead of $19.99 or whatever per item.  I can't imagine the squeeze I'd feel if we shopped retail for kid clothes.

chaseboy2010

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
Ended up going to a thrift store after reading most of this thread. It's always hard for me to find shoes with 4E width, but found 3 pairs that fit. Also found 3 nice shirts and 3 pairs of pants.

Best purchase was a really nice pair of gap khakis for $6.25

And I did have to pay sales tax :)

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
Ended up going to a thrift store after reading most of this thread. It's always hard for me to find shoes with 4E width, but found 3 pairs that fit. Also found 3 nice shirts and 3 pairs of pants.

Best purchase was a really nice pair of gap khakis for $6.25

And I did have to pay sales tax :)

I am impressed. Good job on saving money and helping the environment!

LadyFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
Major thrifter here.

Some recent finds:
School uniforms for my daughter for next year - 1 jumper, 4 skirts and 4 tops for $20 total.
Two high-end sweaters for me (one new with tags) - $4 each.
Designer jeans (Nordstrom price $168) that appear to have never been worn - $7.
Royal Robbins travel pants - $3.
Ann Taylor skirt - $1.
Gymboree Christmas nightgown for my daughter - $2.
Moving Comfort sports bra (retail $58) in mint condition in my hard-to-find size - $4.
Lands' End rain shell and LL Bean rain pants for my daughter - $7 total.
North Face jacket for daughter - $5.
Vintage Ferragamo kitten heel shoes - $1 (not a typo. Yes they are authentic. And gorgeous).

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »
You can more than welcome to post thrift store fails too! I was in downtown today for a meeting and after the meeting, I was checked out this thrift store that has many positive reviews on yelp. The clothes were quite nice but so expensive i.e. a wool sweater non-name brand was $28. It was not cashmere either. I looked up the sweater on the store's website and it was only $39.99. Yesh!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
Goodwill went out of business here in the 80s because they were too expensive.  They built a new (huge) store here about a year or two ago.  I went to check it out, and first thing I looked at was a basic long sleeve t-shirt, KMart brand, for $12, definitely used.  Same shirt KMart usually puts on sale for $10.  I think I checked one or two more items and then just walked out.  We have a Salvation Army and St Vincent de Paul here, they are much better.  I still don't understand why Goodwill's parking lot is always full.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
Something else you should also look for is Stephen King books. It's a long shot, but I've seen many collections donated that included 1st editions. Someone I know just snagged a few for $1 each. They weren't the rarest books, but one of them is worth an easy $150 on eBay.

If you find a true 1st edition/1st printing of Carrie or 'Salem's Lot, you're looking at thousands of dollars if it's in good condition.

I always check. I thought I got lucky with a first edition of Carrie at a Goodwill in Reno, but it was a Book Club Edition, which isn't worth anything.

munchabunch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2016, 08:43:30 AM »
I recently converted my husband!  He's 6'4" with long arms, and its historically been difficult to find clothes that fit at all, so I don't blame him for his skepticism.  We went to one of the nice St. Vinny's in town and walked out with four shirts for him and two pairs of jeans that fit me perfectly all for $30.

The store you go to has such an impact.  We have a Goodwill 1 mile from our house, but the clothes there are more heavily worn, often damaged, and sometimes dirty.  But if you're looking for random dishware to tchotcke, it's good.  My mom wanted one of those old fashioned Rolodexs to hold her online account names.  Three Saturdays of walking down to Goodwill and back, and I gave her a birthday present a Rolodex (even the ubiquitous brand!) for $1.20.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!