Author Topic: Thrift Store Shopping  (Read 52124 times)

accolay

• Pencil Stache
Re: Thrift Store Shopping
« Reply #300 on: December 02, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
Over the last year I've picked up four vintage (pre 1960s) cast iron pans and fixed them up. Seems like the blacker caked on burnt grease, the longer they'll be in the store. I'm quite enjoying the results after restoration and using them after seasoning.

I have two old cast iron skillets that I love.  They have a smooth inner surface, quite unlike the ones you can buy today.  The sides of the large pan are a bit built up with gunk - how do you remove it?

Yeah...love that smooth surface!

The internet told me to soak them in lye/water mix. It works, but can take time depending on the amount of grease. Soak-scrub-soak-scrub. Some people apparently put them in the oven on the clean cycle...but others suggest the high heat can damage the pans. Also be careful with using them over electric stoves or something. Some also use electrolysis to get rid of any rust.

sparkytheop

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: December 03, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »
I've also heard of people getting rid of the crud by spraying it with oven cleaner, putting it in a garbage bag, and setting it in the sun for a few days.

E-tanks and the lye/water mix is also used by some.  High heat/fire cleaning is not recommended because it can damage the cast iron.

I love my cast iron, and my favorites came from a local thrift store.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: December 03, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »
I tried that garbage bag trick once and it didn't touch the burnt on stuff. With a couple of pans, even the lye took a very long time to loosen the crud.