Author Topic: Things you used to think you needed, but didn't  (Read 55555 times)

AdiposeFinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Things you used to think you needed, but didn't
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »
I used to believe that you needed to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner plus snacks in between. Now I regularly fast 24 or 36 hours a few times a week. I am fasting now and don't plan on eating until Monday which will be a minimum of 60 hours of pausing my eating.

I am not doing it to save money but it has a lot of health benefits and gives you back a lot of time. My house is getting very clean today because I will keep busy so I don't think about food. :)

I'm considering adding fasting to my lifestyle. I used to try and fail miserably because I just felt so AWFUL. Then my brother told me he occasionally does a day where he does just liquids - whenever he starts feeling bad he'll drink a bit of clear juice to bring his blood sugar up. A couple weeks ago I had to go into work and because my intestines weren't tolerating any food, I just drank juice a few times in the day, and I actually got through a work day without eating! My intestines were able to recover with no lost time at work! So now I'm thinking of doing this once a fortnight.

Any tips for a fasting newbie?

Hi Fasting Newbie. I would pickup the book The Complete Guide to Fasting by Dr. Fung for more in-depth details. And/or listen to the Fasting Talk podcast. Then make sure you are clear on why you want to fast because it will be very hard without clear motivation.

In a nutshell you will want to fast intermittently and start small with your fasting training wheels. An intermittent fast is usually 16/8 or 18/6 (16 hours or fasting with an 8 hour eating window). Example: Finish eating eating dinner at 8pm and don't eat until 12pm the next day. Coffee and tea are fine. Get used to that and then try 18/6 by extending the fast until 2pm.

This may be hard at first just like going to the gym at first  is hard but it will get easier as you build your fasting muscle. Then do a 24 hour-ish fast. Finish dinner at 8pm and don't eat until 7pm the next day. This is quite easy for me now but was difficult at first.

There are lots of other tips like don't eat high-carb, high-sugar meals before your fasts. This will make it difficult for sure. Also, the hunger comes and goes in waves so just let it pass and the hunger is the same whether you haven't eaten in 4 hours or 20 or 36.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Note: Do not fast if...
  • You are pregnant or want to get pregnant
  • Breastfeeding
  • Are under weight or BMI is 20 or less
  • Taking blood sugar lowering drugs - talk to your doctor
  • Have eating disorders

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
A college degree.

Excellent job evaluations and the praise of my managers.

A job.

(Less than one year away from proving that last one.)

This is fantastic!

DH doesn't have a degree and I think he could make more than me and I have a masters.  He will stay in current low-ish paying job that he loves while focusing on starting a fulfilling side job also doing what he loves. Win win no degree necessary.

I'm learning to discount the validation of my boss.  Better to focus of self fulfillment.

Woohoo on the last one.

We've given up:
Cable
Fabric softener
Expensive lotions for a simplified skin care process
Uncomfortable shoes

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2017, 12:54:17 AM »
Erm, an i-anything??? Android all the way, baby!

checkedoutat39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
Hotels. Pull into a rural Wal-Mart or BLM/USFS land and sleep in the car.

rbw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »
(For women) - Sanitary pads/tampons. Just started using a menstrual cup and it is awesome (though it took several tries to get it right).

(Like others on this thread) - Physical books. I love reading, but I have mostly stopped buying books. I rely mainly on library books - mostly e-books, in fact (my Kindle is lighter than a physical book when I am reading on my commute). I admit I do miss being able to lend books to people though (whenever I read something great, I want to foist it on someone!).

GPS watch - My strap broke recently, and I decided to just run without it. I don't know what the point is of recording my exact distance and pace anyway, since I'm not training for anything right now.

Yoga classes - I do enjoy yoga classes, but I love the freedom of being able to do yoga in the privacy of my own apartment, anytime I feel like it. I use yogadownload - my (super-cheap Groupon) subscription has run out, but I have an archive of downloaded videos from there.  I will look to other free yoga classes online when I get bored of my 100+ videos...

Pedicures - My nails are now much healthier!

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2017, 02:35:30 AM »

Yoga classes - I do enjoy yoga classes, but I love the freedom of being able to do yoga in the privacy of my own apartment, anytime I feel like it. I use yogadownload - my (super-cheap Groupon) subscription has run out, but I have an archive of downloaded videos from there.  I will look to other free yoga classes online when I get bored of my 100+ videos...

They have great yoga classes on YouTube for free...we can watch YouTube via TV so I do yoga in lounge...'DoYogawithMe.com' and David Procyshyn I find particularly good.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
In a nutshell you will want to fast intermittently and start small with your fasting training wheels. An intermittent fast is usually 16/8 or 18/6 (16 hours or fasting with an 8 hour eating window). Example: Finish eating eating dinner at 8pm and don't eat until 12pm the next day. Coffee and tea are fine. Get used to that and then try 18/6 by extending the fast until 2pm.

Interesting.  When I was a SAHM, I gravitated to eating two larger meals a day - one at around 10am, and one at 4pm and that was pretty much it.  It follows my natural eating patterns, and I think I just felt better that way.  I enjoyed food more because I was eating when I was actually hungriest.  When I returned to work I started eating breakfast again but a lot of time I am not even super hungry.  I have been entertaining the notion of returning to the two a day eating pattern in some form or another. 

A lot what made MMM great was learning new habits that not only improved my life, but were cheaper.

I stopped buying books and get ebooks from the library.
I wash my clothes less often and they are lasting a lot longer.
I don't use Fabric softener.

Things I never did:
Buy jewelry
Go to a gym

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
Hotels. Pull into a rural Wal-Mart or BLM/USFS land and sleep in the car.

Walmart??     Ewwwwwwwwww !!

After seeing the life-forms that shop at Walmart, I would be very nervous about sleeping in a WM parking lot in my car.
The WM zombies come out at night and walk the earth in search of protein !!!!

KJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »
I do need soap, toothpaste and showers (every day, live in the tropics in Australia, try not showering every day and see how bad you smell, also live on acreage and so get dirty every day)

I don't need:

To wash my clothes after one wear unless visually dirty or smell
Commercial Free to Air Tv - Netflix and You tube which means we get to choose what we watch and can watch more docos and not get your head filled with mindless crap
Drier - rarely used except in the wet season for towels and sheets and we could get always with it if we just put off washing till a non wet day
Brand new clothes - Been op shopping for years but before that spent a long time not even knowing these existed

Cabaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »
Buying books (the library is such an amazing thing...I am not sure why it took me so long to realize it!)

Washing my clothes every time I wore them (the exception being underwear)

Needing the newest iPhone (I felt when I significantly cut social media usage, my desire for the newest things also decreased--although the reason I decreased my social media usage was because of a mind shift change and I'm guessing that was also the reason for the lack of desire to have the most recent items as well).

The new phone is today's new car imo to keep up with the Jones's. you really do not need it until it is obsolete to get upgrades for anything you use.

I have gotten rid of most everything and my shirts are now $8 each, just found what I liked on Amazon and bought several different colors; most people couldn't tell you what you wore yesterday; why are you spending more than the minimum to impress no one.

I will never get rid of my books though, the sense of accomplishment they give is worth the price.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
A huge filing cabinet.

Notes from college (I did keep the papers I wrote, though).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »
FIL is thinking about dropping his stationary phone. He has a cell phone.

rbw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2017, 07:08:33 AM »

They have great yoga classes on YouTube for free...we can watch YouTube via TV so I do yoga in lounge...'DoYogawithMe.com' and David Procyshyn I find particularly good.

Thank you for the recommendations, Vicster!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2017, 07:13:49 AM »
Fancy cable TV channels like Golf Channel, BigTen Network (for college football), and all the political channels like Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc.  I was paying $108 per month and it was just too much. So I chopped it down one tier to basic cable, and all those fancy channels are gone, and my new monthly bill is only $34.  I don't miss it. I actually don't even want to turn on the TV because there's just nothing I want to see, unless I luck into some interesting news, plus whenever there is something interesting, it's chock full of depressing irritating commercials. (Unless it's PBS).  I'm actually thinking of canceling the cable completely! Scary thought, eh?  I'd still have antenna TV for local news and some PBS. Plus DVD watching would still be doable.

Writology

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Writology
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
I am thinking about a watch...I forgot it))))) Hmmm...What else? Knife sharpener is. It`s like an old uninteresting souvenir...

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »
Heat in my car in the South. I just feel like it doesn't get cold enough here so I never got it fixed. I actually start sweating when driving other people's cars with heat in the winter, even with the fan off and with only a t-shirt. Maybe I'll actually bother with it next year...

Selah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
High-heeled shoes. Slips and half-slips, and girdles! Blue eye-shadow! More than two pairs of (ugh) pantyhose!

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2017, 08:44:55 AM »
- Caffeine (full disclosure: I drink, on average, 4 cups of decaf black tea a week and have a couple of cups of decaf coffee a year. Don't drink green or white tea, or sodas. I do have dark chocolate on occasion, but usually a small amount. So I'm not totally caffeine-free, but consume very little). I've been doing this for 20+ years. I know those of you who use caffeine can't believe it, but I feel so much better now that I don't take caffeine.
-Dairy products. I quit six months ago. My skin has cleared up and I feel a LOT better.
-Coloring my hair
-Wearing makeup
-A microwave (four years ago we moved and left our built-in behind... haven't gotten around to getting another yet because we don't really miss it).
-New cars, new clothes, expensive jewelry, new cellphones or electronics, TV, expensive yearly vacations, gym memberships, high-stress jobs, processed foods, physical birthday presents or big parties (family dinner and a fun experience work waaay better for me), pedicures, etc.
- coffeemaker (DH drinks coffee daily and uses a pour-over cone and a thermos. I love that we don't have a coffeemaker taking up counter space in the kitchen.

While I have lived without a dishwasher and without hot water before, I can say that both those things make my life a LOT better and so we're keeping them.

ENT Doc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2017, 02:56:33 AM »
Coffee
Alcohol
Cable TV
Facebook
A new phone (still rockin' out with my 100% subsidized iPhone 3GS)
Showers on the weekend
Eating out

HelinaHandbasket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2017, 12:15:29 PM »
cake mixes, pasta and pizza sauces, seasoning/shake and bake packets, cooking sauces, etc.
Manufacturer recommended doses of laundry liquid. Half as much is more than enough with our machine.
Fabric softener, fragrance pearls and dryer sheets.
Antibacterial anything, outside the first aid kit.
Kitchen paper and cleaning wipes. Disposable cleaning cloths and pot scrubbers
Plastic grocery/shopping bags
Tv channels -have Internet and Netflix, but no stations.
Land line phone
iPhones
Fancy handbags
Magazine subscriptions
Cinema membership
Gym membership

I'm also pregnant, and we are skipping buying travel systems, baby cctv, mobiles, wipe warmers, changing tables, and most stuff fear-marketed to first time parents. There's so much of it!

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
I'm also pregnant, and we are skipping buying travel systems, baby cctv, mobiles, wipe warmers, changing tables, and most stuff fear-marketed to first time parents. There's so much of it!

Congratulations!  Agreed, I was sucked into the idea that I needed all kinds of baby stuff to be a good parent.  I felt responsible and bought new good quality gear.  My two boys are a year apart so all that beautiful baby stuff had a lifespan of only about 2-3 years.  Just a flash in time and then sold for a tiny fraction of what it costs.  Babies don't really need much and they certainly don't need new.  Good for you for recognizing this early. 

For me, I loved collecting books but have since stopped and rely on the library. 

savings4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »
Others approval
Eating out in restaurants (only do on rare occasions)
Boss' praise (I am a hard worker and everyone knows it)
Soft drinks
Expensive outdoor security light from power company (had it turned off, and installed my own)
Spendoholic spouse (put up with it too many years, now ex-)
Fancy work clothes (now shop around and catch nice dress clothes on sale)
High heels
Expensive hairspray and make-up

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2017, 01:59:09 AM »
- Hairdresser haircuts. I'm a mid-20s female but haven't been to a hairdresser in 5 years.
- New sneakers. I've been buying store seconds or lightly used second hand sneakers for about $100 cheaper than instore. Love it.
- Books. I read about 2 books a week, so definitely don't buy these anymore (free library all the way!)
- Car. Although to be honest I've never owned one so not really a real one.

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2017, 02:55:33 AM »
New clothes (fortunately I much prefer op shopping)
Makeup
Hair products
Conditioner (diluted vinegar is better)
Most cleaning products
Regular alcohol
Regular eating out
Scented stuff (now avoid)
A landline
Expensive trips to the hairdresser
Mementos
A financial planner
To work until I die

"No oven" people???!!! How do you make apple crumble???

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
How do you make apple crumble???
You hit it with a hammer until it crumbles.

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2017, 02:48:05 AM »
You hit it with a hammer until it crumbles.

So you're a dad then? Or just a really bad cook?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

kbray003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »
1. Coffee Maker - I use a kettle and pour over carafe.  Makes a better cup and doesn't take up space on my counter.
2. Makeup, shampoo, face soap, lotions, and other extraneous "health and beauty" products
3. A hundred pairs of shoes
4. Toaster
5. Cable tv
6. Purses - Why do I need to carry around a bunch of crap?  Phone case with built-in wallet is all I "need"

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2017, 04:07:06 PM »
A large house with lots of storage space.
A credit card.
To be liked by everyone.
Hiking boots.

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2017, 08:53:18 AM »
Well this thread just got a whole lot more interesting thanks to the great backpacker debate! Pity it had to end so soon.

I posted earlier in the thread and have since discovered the joys in minimising many other things which I don't need anymore:

- Lots of make-up. Now I have a specific beauty 'look' I love, I only need a small bag of good quality, reliable make-up.

- Expensive skincare. I have sensitive skin and the best skincare is the cheap, fragrance-free pharmaceutical brands that you buy in bulk. Luxury and designer skin care is completely unnecessary. Plus, the secret to great skin is a great sunscreen, drinking lots of water and getting enough sleep.

- Lots of cheap, poorly-tailored clothes. Now I buy more expensive clothes and shoes less frequently that are more durable and age/wear well.

- A car. Living inner-city saves me money on a car and car related expenses (as I don't need one), public transport (as I walk everywhere) and time (as all travel time is minimised).

- Alcohol. I don't need alcohol to catch up with friends or have fun.

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »
for over a year now:
soap
shampoo
shoes+socks (I still have them, but almost universally wear sandals now, which means no more smelly socks)
eating at restaurants (I can still go there with other people, and not buy anything, done it ~50 times now and am used to it)
movies / tv shows / entertainment

last 1-3 months:
a mattress/bed and blankets/sheets (now sleep on the floor on a camping pad, in a sleeping bag)
online media / news (so much more time now!)
deodorant
shaver (let it grow, let it grow!)
animal products (and with them, the refrigerator)
food packaging (I just eat bulk food using my own containers, and veg/fruit which is either unpackaged or taken from dumpster)
paper towels (just use cloth or hands, and wash)

next to let go of:
job/income
room of my own
camera

probably after that:
laptop of my own
savings/money
...... ?

I feel more free than ever before, enjoying it and at peace about what's coming next..

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2017, 03:58:36 AM »
A mountain cabin. Although we still have and I am sitting in it right now. It means we have 2 households and are often transporting stuff on each trip. We need to pay property tax and a price for having electricity, some road contribution money and a sum for garbage collecting. In summer time you can you as easily go camping with a tent. The rest of the year we should ideally live somewhere with better conditions for skiing, fishing and hiking in mountains. If you have all that on short distance from home, no hut is needed. I just discussed with DH yesterday that we should sell it when we FIRE.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2017, 09:06:51 PM »
A toaster, I use the oven instead. It doesn't save any money, but there is less clutter.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
I never used fabric softener or dryer sheets
Soda
Coffee
Jewelry (for the most part; never anything fancy)
A car (never owned one) so no gas and no car insurance
Sponges (use old washclosths to clean)
New bed sheets (haven't needed new sheets in ages)
Purses (haven't bought one in a year; use a free backpack)
Expensive makeup (drugstore only)
Pajamas -- "retired" comfy clothes like old tshirts instead

pennyhandlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2017, 04:20:53 AM »
Just about everything.

Hiking the AT last summer I found that I didn't miss much. Having my entire material burden consist of less than 10 pounds, outside of food and water, was incredibly freeing.

Getting your pack down to under 10 pounds is an achievement! Do you happen to have your packing list?

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
Just about everything.

Hiking the AT last summer I found that I didn't miss much. Having my entire material burden consist of less than 10 pounds, outside of food and water, was incredibly freeing.

Getting your pack down to under 10 pounds is an achievement! Do you happen to have your packing list?
Just consulted my Gear Grams list. I was mistaken. I was thinking of my "big 4" weight. My total pack weight was just under 15 pounds.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=32700

JimmyFry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »
Lots of great items on here.  +1 to Gym Memberships, Books, Cable, Wristwatches, and Yoga Classes

A game changer for me was finding a safe bike-route to do out of my garage.  I'll still drive to rides on occasion for events/socializing/mountains, but getting most of the riding done from home is huge.

Related to the above - Global Cycling Network youtube videos for "spin" classes I can do on the trainer

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »
Lotion
Hair dryer
Straightener (though I still have one in case of an interview or something)
Hair dresser (no one's cut my hair in at least 4 years now!)
Purse
Nightstand
Dresser or chest
Queen size sheets (my old full-size sheets are super stretchy and fit fine!)
Soda/Gatorade
Sugar in tea

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2017, 07:26:15 AM »
1,000 babyproofing supplies.  Knob covers, stove shield, expensive magnetic drawer locks, etc.  The only really useful objects were high locks on our front and balcony doors when we lived in an apartment, and a set of stair gates.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
1,000 babyproofing supplies.  Knob covers, stove shield, expensive magnetic drawer locks, etc.  The only really useful objects were high locks on our front and balcony doors when we lived in an apartment, and a set of stair gates.

I used to think these were all useless too ("just pay attention to your child!"). Then my friend had a fearless climber, who got into EVERYTHING. She once came out of the bathroom to find her two year old on top of the fridge, pulling knives out of the block, etc...

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2017, 06:02:47 PM »
A toaster, I use the oven instead. It doesn't save any money, but there is less clutter.
My toaster is right next to my toaster oven.  I have no idea what so ever how to make toast in the toaster oven.

ajtegret

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
Not only new stuff, but also my old clothes, old kitchen appliances, old papers, old knick knacks. Turns out, getting rid of the old stuff is great - instead of running out of storage space and buying more cabinets, I just got rid of stuff. And eventually, I'm going to get rid of my extra storage cabinets (less empty space that I thought I needed to fill).

Mr Griz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
Starbucks
Alarm clock
Daily stock price updates
Newspapers
My job (I still work but have F-you money and then some)

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
A 2nd car
Shampoo (condition and rinse, dove soap on occasion)
A new smartphone every 2 years
Facebook
A barber
Cable
Cleaning agents besides vinegar
Breakfast
To wash denim regularly
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:33:15 PM by YummyRaisins »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »

I used to think these were all useless too ("just pay attention to your child!"). Then my friend had a fearless climber, who got into EVERYTHING. She once came out of the bathroom to find her two year old on top of the fridge, pulling knives out of the block, etc...

You're right, but it's easier and possibly cheaper to gate off entire areas like the kitchen, bathroom, or stairs then go through securing item by item. Kids are really unpredictable; one of my toddlers (usually pretty calm) woke up at dawn, went to the bathroom, and started SHAVING his face.  Poor thing had thin red lines down his chubby cheeks for a week. He probably knew he wasn't supposed to which is why he got up to do it while we were all sleeping. Must have climbed on the sink to get at the medicine cabinet.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
Cats.

Bella78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
Conditioner
Most makeup
Dryer sheets
Washing clothes after wearing once (especially in the winter)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
Third kid. (Corollary: 2nd kid, 1st kid.)
Jewelry.
Fast cars.
Conditioner.
Dogs.
Home phone, television package.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2017, 02:40:12 PM »
Netflix.

To be fair, I replaced it with Filmstruck!   But I had been a Netflix customer for about 15 years and considered keeping both. It was a little sad to hit the kill switch on what had been my primary media access point for so long. The service has really gone downhill, though, and the few things I love on there just aren't worth it.  Goodbye, Netflix.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
Netflix - had it for a while, got rid of it.  Library has most movies.
Hairdresser - Whal clippers are a one time expense.
Shampoo - Soap works just as well.
Using the car - Short trips add up (gas expenses), walk more now.
Soda - No more Coke, this was a big one for me to kick.