Author Topic: Things you used to think you needed, but didn't  (Read 55560 times)

toodleoo

• Stubble
Things you used to think you needed, but didn't
« on: March 06, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
A few examples to start the discussion. I'm sure you all will have much more badass ones :)

1) Wristwatch. The batteries died on mine a couple of months ago and I never bothered to get them replaced. I just look at my phone now.
2) Hair conditioner. My hair seems to be the same whether or not I use it, plus I was wasting a ton of water trying to get it all rinsed out (I have long, THICK hair).
3) Dryer sheets. My clothes seem just fine without them.

jessicat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Things you used to think you needed, but didn't
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:42:20 AM »
fabric softener
jewelry
kraft macaroni and cheese-turns out my kids like the cheapest that kroger sells better.
books-i have a kindle and borrow from the library now

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Things you used to think you needed, but didn't
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:47:18 AM »
A toaster - We toast bread in a pan on the stove now.

A 2nd car for the household - We walk to work and usually go skiing or mountain biking together on weekends, so a 2nd car was rarely (if ever) necessary.

A microwave - We didn't need a microwave taking up 1/3 of the counter space in our kitchen just to reheat food occasionally. We do it on the stove and it's almost as fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:50:09 AM by trix76 »

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »
I realized I didn't need a watch when I finally went through stuff inherited when my dad passed away.  Included some medium nice watches and a bunch of junk watches.  I haven't worn a watch in 10 years.  Ebayed all but 1 watch which is a Longines automatic with inscription from when dad was Jaycees national vice president.  My youngest son now has that and wears it for formal dances.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:03:02 AM »
Oven. Mine died again about 6 months ago. It's the original one from the 60's when the house was built, so it's a pain to have fixed. I don't replace it b/c my whole kitchen has the original appliances which are beautiful throwbacks - chrome and stainless steel. I have been doing fine, cooking for one, with a toaster oven and a crockpot.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
At least 80% of the stuff we received as gifts at the shower for our first child.

By kid number three, all we needed was a blanket and a bottle.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
Oven. Mine died again about 6 months ago. It's the original one from the 60's when the house was built, so it's a pain to have fixed. I don't replace it b/c my whole kitchen has the original appliances which are beautiful throwbacks - chrome and stainless steel. I have been doing fine, cooking for one, with a toaster oven and a crockpot.

My oven is from the 60s and died about 4-5 months ago too!  I get by using our grill whenever I want to bake something.  I wish I had a toaster oven...always enjoy using those when I get the chance.  My broken oven and stove are one unit and a couple burners on the stove don't work and one only works on HI, so cooking has been interesting the last couple years, but it's not that hard to adjust to.  However, I think we will be remodeling the kitchen and likely replace the stove and oven.  The cabinets are literally falling off the ceiling and so it's time to get some work done on this old kitchen!

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »

Yeah, ovens are pretty optional I've found. I lived in Japan for 3 years and most Japanese houses don't have ovens. They'll have some stovetop burners, but not the oven part itself.

I got by easy with stovetop burners, a microwave, and a rice cooker.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »
A second car. An MBA.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
a PhD. In the private sector of my field, exceptionally smart folks with either a B.S or M.S can go just as far as a PhD in job responsibility, compensation, and yes, even title. Its not the rule, rather the exception. But as I said, EXCEPTIONAL MS/BS folks can rise just as high in the org as a PhD. In the megacorp I work at, there are certainly examples of this.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
Suits for work. In my field a good dressy sweater or a button down and occasional blazer (lives on a hook in in the office) will do it all.

An "up to date" bike. I'm a bike fanatic but right now am having a great time riding a 1986 6-speed mountain bike (price $100) in snow. A beautifully made Japanese work of bike art/craft. In summer I'll ride an '80s steel bike 100k or 200k a week. It was state of the art once--what made it crappy 30 years later? Works perfect, and fits. Plus I understand how to fix everything on it. Also realized I don't need click-in pedals, or clicky gears. Not in the Tour de France: just riding a bike.

New sound equipment. Using stuff from 80s. Started to research newer stuff, realized this stuff sounds great. Just play music.

Prescription glasses. Had some until I realized my "prescription" is simply magnification, i.e. "readers." Buy 'em online for cheap.

The perfect "man bag." Got interested in this idea for a while because: stuff to carry! Realized my bike-to-work knapsack is better than anything else. Also: just carry less stuff.

More "optimization" of every damn thing. At a certain point stuff (spending, saving, retirement planning etc.) is "adequately optimized." Just accept good-enough, and enjoy life.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
Shampoo. I just use soap.

Paper towels. I use napkins for me and microfiber towels for all cleaning.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »
Second car (household of two).  A single car and occasional rentals (with public transportation available as a fallback for me to get to work) are a perfect fit for us.  The second car (before its unfortunate end) sat most of the time anyway.
College degree.  Nope.
Wristwatch.  Old one finally quit and I put off getting a new one long enough to get used to not having it anymore.
Kleenex.  Toilet paper works in a pinch, and we don't really get sick anymore anyway.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
A dryer - been over two years and I love line drying
A watch, an alarm clock, and wall clocks: I use my phone and save on batteries/electricity.
Paper books (excluding reference, coffee table and childhood favourites) I LOVE reading, I do not love paper books.
Massive amounts of clothing - losing weight has taught me how few clothes I truly need
Fancy toiletries - I stick to the basics now and am much better off for it.
Extensive kitchen appliances, tools, utensils.
I could go on forever, I have insanely simplified my life in the last few years and I am much happier.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
dryer sheets and fabric softener: haven't used either in 4+ years
makeup
paper books (ebooks from the library on my kindle)
cable tv. 5-10 years ago I kept up with at least 8-10 shows every season. Now? Our tv hasn't even been turned on since mid-February.
coffee maker, have been using a cone and pour-over at home for at least a year now.

I'm sure there are others...

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
soap
shampoo
tv
paper books
hotel rooms
the approval of my inner critic

Mr Chin Stubble

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 06:57:01 PM »
A toaster.

Cable.

Flat screen tv

Driving to work when the bus will take you there.

I think a watch is important though and wear one all the time. I used to think I'll use my phone but it's nice to have a watch.

Mr Chin Stubble

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
soap
shampoo
tv
paper books
hotel rooms
the approval of my inner critic

Wait a minute. How do you not need soap?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »
Jewelry, new clothes, make-up, a nice purse, heels.

Wall art. Handmade decorative pillows for my couch. A couch.

A TV. Paper books. Podcasts during my walks. A music subscription.

Meat in most meals.

A college degree.

Excellent job evaluations and the praise of my managers.

A job.

(Less than one year away from proving that last one.)

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
Excellent job evaluations and the praise of my managers.
same as this above plus
home ownership (we rent)
makeup
more professional qualifications
cable tv
expensive phone package
new clothing
drier sheets
expensive acne treatments for DS

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 10:55:38 PM »
A job.

(Less than one year away from proving that last one.)

Nice!

I've definitely gotta agree with the "meat with every meal" one. We cut our meat conception in half (or less, really) and I don't miss it.

Old school notes - I keep them for a year or two before realizing I'll never look at those notebooks or textbooks again
Most books
Souvenirs (why did I feel like I had to buy all those obnoxious keychains?)

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 04:05:18 AM »
Paper towels
Dishwasher (stopped using one in old house and never bought another one in new house)
Air con (broke 3 years ago , not fixing it!)
Make up
Different handbags , now I have only one
Toiletries apart from toothpaste and shampoo
Block out curtains
Paper books

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 05:12:37 AM »
Makeup
Hairdresser (spouses can cut each other's hair)
Hotel rooms
Racing bike
Fancy shoes
Ironing board (oh no, we need it when sewing clothes)
Solarium (I bought one many years ago before getting married, not used after that)
Stationary computer
Heart rate monitor
Snow shovel machine (we have one now together with the neighbours, but survived for 15 years without one in our previous house)
Electric grass clipper (we never had one, but almost everybody else does)
Paper books
Norwegian books (English books on Amazon are much cheaper)

In the summer I don't use the tumble dry, but hang it outside. But I will test hanging up clothes inside the bathroom and see if that works out.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
Just about everything.

Hiking the AT last summer I found that I didn't miss much. Having my entire material burden consist of less than 10 pounds, outside of food and water, was incredibly freeing.

jessicat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 05:29:16 AM »
Wanted to add
Smart phone

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 05:33:08 AM »
Wait a minute. How do you not need soap?

I'm not totally soap-free... I use it on my hands when I transition between Dirty Stuff and Clean Stuff.

But for the rest of me, I use water and a brush or washcloth. Read about it online, gave it a try, works for me, been doing it for about five years. My previous greasiness and stink was apparently due to my body freaking out at the chemicals or alkaline nature of the soaps I was using.

Now I'm actually less stinky than before, and my skin lives in that happy zone -- not dry, not oily.

Which reminds me, I also no longer need skin lotion.

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 04:07:23 AM »
Things I thought I needed but don't:

1. Approval and inclusion from people who I don't actually need in my life
2. Lots of (cheap) clothes which disintegrate after a couple of washes
3. Alcohol. Don't need alcohol to have a good time

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 04:59:00 AM »
Just set up an apartment (second home...yeah, I know, I know...no face punches please...I can justify it if need be)--and I have no small kitchen appliances whatsoever except for the coffeemaker. No microwave, no toaster, no blender, no crockpot, no mixer, no Instapot. Just using the four stove burners and the oven, I am fine. Amazing.

No piano. I thought I couldn't live without a piano, but I can. I play my harp a lot more.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 05:24:42 AM »
Cable TV - Nuff said.

Sports packages on TV - No more watching spoiled millionaires participate in playground games when I can just do it myself.

Microwave dinners - So much cheaper and healthier to cook real food instead.

Cigarettes - Much happier without this weight around my neck.

Expensive shoes - I thought people would be impressed, but no one really cares.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 05:41:54 AM »
Cable, going out every weekend, going shopping, having tons of kids activities.  Don't miss any of these.

lchu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2017, 09:42:14 AM »
Craft Supplies -- Pre-Moustache days, I kept letting myself buy clearance craft supplies with no real project in mind.  Then, when I did decide to make something, I would end up going out to buy the supplies I actually needed for the project because it turns out that I didn't actually want anything that was in the stockpile.

Faux-DIY projects in general -- In face-punch worthy levels of shame, a lot of the decorative "DIY" craft projects I did while patting myself on the back for "saving money" turned out to mean that I spent more money on the supplies than it probably would have cost to just outright buy a functional version of any item I was DIY-ing.

Actually, thinking about it, that was probably what started me on the path towards minimalism in the first place!  Wow!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »
A bath tube. I could live without. My DH likes it though and uses it once every 2 weeks or so, in the winter.

PhoenixHeat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »
fabric softener
jewelry
kraft macaroni and cheese-turns out my kids like the cheapest that kroger sells better.
books-i have a kindle and borrow from the library now

awesome!

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
Pedicures
More clothes!
Frequent haircuts

AdiposeFinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 02:19:26 PM »
I used to believe that you needed to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner plus snacks in between. Now I regularly fast 24 or 36 hours a few times a week. I am fasting now and don't plan on eating until Monday which will be a minimum of 60 hours of pausing my eating.

I am not doing it to save money but it has a lot of health benefits and gives you back a lot of time. My house is getting very clean today because I will keep busy so I don't think about food. :)

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
Candles  and Scentsy products.
Nice plates- matching stuff
microwave
flea stuff for cats in winter

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 07:00:49 PM »
Social media!  Some time ago I deleted Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... the works. Immediately I felt a sense of liberation. So much mental clutter just instantly disappeared.

-- Now, when something interesting happens, I enjoy the moment rather than taking a picture and crafting a "like"-able caption. 

-- When people want to communicate with me, they email or even arrange to chat in person, and we have better interactions.

-- When a funny meme or important article is circulating, my husband sends me a link. So I see a limited selection of good stuff from the internet, and the rest just never reaches me.

It's great!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »
Social media!  Some time ago I deleted Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... the works. Immediately I felt a sense of liberation. So much mental clutter just instantly disappeared.

-- Now, when something interesting happens, I enjoy the moment rather than taking a picture and crafting a "like"-able caption. 

-- When people want to communicate with me, they email or even arrange to chat in person, and we have better interactions.

-- When a funny meme or important article is circulating, my husband sends me a link. So I see a limited selection of good stuff from the internet, and the rest just never reaches me.

It's great!

I don't go on twitter or instagram a lot but I am considering closing my Facebook account.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet but am getting close.  I end up up sad or depressed most days.  It is a no fail that someone will either post an abused animal or abused person story and just political stuff from both sides.  And I am pretty sure I don't care where you ate last night. 

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
steamer for clothing (I had one and donated it to Amvets) -nope don't miss it 

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2017, 08:17:12 PM »

It's great!

I don't go on twitter or instagram a lot but I am considering closing my Facebook account.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet but am getting close.  I end up up sad or depressed most days.  It is a no fail that someone will either post an abused animal or abused person story and just political stuff from both sides.  And I am pretty sure I don't care where you ate last night.

don't have twitter, instagram, or FB, and I'm happy :) I plan to continue this way...maybe if I get FB then I 'll put lots of restrictions and I'll allow only DH, and DS 1,2,3 as contacts and don't care about the rest of the world
***see MMM's post "the low information diet"

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 08:41:38 PM »

Yes, this is how I felt. The feed became upsetting on many levels, and I realized that I was losing respect for some of my friends based on what they posted. It was better to opt-out!

I was also prompted to cut social media by the web site Study Hacks. The blog is all about reducing distractions so that you can dedicate time and energy to the most important goals in your life. It's like Mustachianism for the brain!

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »
I wasn't on FB for years and now I am on it.. though not that active . I'd say you can limit what you see and it's only great if you have friends all over the world and want to stay in touch. Other than that, meh.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2017, 11:48:42 PM »
Caring what other people think.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2017, 04:07:09 AM »
deodorant - wear it when i go to work, but have been experimenting with not wearing at weekends and maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't seem to sweat and if I've showered and am wearing a clean top I don't really need it.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »
* Worried about what other people thought
* May be covered with the first one. Work title
* Newer car for reliability. Over 20 years of multiple car ownership and the only car broke down in the middle of the night was one year old.
* Three car garage house. Boy, was I wrong on that one.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »
deodorant - wear it when i go to work, but have been experimenting with not wearing at weekends and maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't seem to sweat and if I've showered and am wearing a clean top I don't really need it.

Good for you. My DH also didn't use deo for many years and didn't smell. Unfortunately I need it.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »
Social media
Dinner at fancy restaurants
Big house
New clothes

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2017, 02:31:08 PM »