Author Topic: The $3700 Prius Experiment  (Read 45505 times)

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
Re: The $3700 Prius Experiment
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 07:44:37 AM »
They have been ranked least expensive to maintain by a number of publications.  They really do make good sense just from a maintenance standpoint, and the low cost to fuel them is like icing on the cake.

It is true Prius has the lowest maintenance cost over 10 years but that covers year 0 - year 10.  So if you are buying an 06 Prius, it does not means your Prius is going have the lowest maintenance because the car is now in year 11, and who knows what the maintenance will be from year 11 to year xx.

On average, it may well be a Camry or Corrolla or other models will beat Prius by significant margin when the battery on Prius need to be replaced - from my understanding, the battery is costly. I do not know what is the end-of-life for these batteries, so maybe that is not an issue but it is still a risk when owning a hybrid vs owning a regular car.

Just my 2c.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
I'll chime in here and say that my family has 3 Priuseseses (Prii?), an 04, 07 and 09.  Total maintenance on all three to date has been two 12v batteries, a couple of HID bulbs and a ballast (skip the HID option if you can..), a couple of taillight bulbs, and one hybrid battery. 

The hybrid battery failure was ironically on my wife's car which is an 07 with the lowest miles.  I bought a used pack for $500 and changed it in about an hour.  It's a very easy swap.  I kept the old one and paid a core charge, and bought a used module on Amazon to replace the failed module.  I also bought a $50 programmable charger to "rebalance" (i.e. charge and discharge each module in the pack).  So, basically I have a spare if one of the others needs one. 

My 04 has 217k showing; probably more in actuality because it has a dash problem where the display does not always power on.   I just ignore it because I'm too cheap/lazy to change the "combination meter" i.e. the display.  It has basically had a 12v battery replaced in my ownership, nothing else.  I tow a trailer with it regularly, including one trip to the dump with 2,000 lbs of brick in the trailer.  I don't recommend this but I made it fine.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
They have been ranked least expensive to maintain by a number of publications.  They really do make good sense just from a maintenance standpoint, and the low cost to fuel them is like icing on the cake.

It is true Prius has the lowest maintenance cost over 10 years but that covers year 0 - year 10.  So if you are buying an 06 Prius, it does not means your Prius is going have the lowest maintenance because the car is now in year 11, and who knows what the maintenance will be from year 11 to year xx.

On average, it may well be a Camry or Corrolla or other models will beat Prius by significant margin when the battery on Prius need to be replaced - from my understanding, the battery is costly. I do not know what is the end-of-life for these batteries, so maybe that is not an issue but it is still a risk when owning a hybrid vs owning a regular car.

Just my 2c.

That may be.  However, I see more older Prius ( 2nd gen ) than any other older car..by far.  Even up here in Minnesota.
 They really are that reliable.  Not sure how many have had the hybrid battery replaced though obviously.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2017, 04:24:58 AM »
What is the cost of a new battery?

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2017, 05:55:54 AM »
What is the cost of a new battery?

A brand new battery, depending on the model of Prius, is ~$3500.  But like the transmission in most cars, the batteries are not a disposable item, and they get rebuilt.  A full up refurbished pack is ~$1500-2000, and you can get used ones like this guy:

I bought a used pack for $500 and changed it in about an hour.  It's a very easy swap.  I kept the old one and paid a core charge, and bought a used module on Amazon to replace the failed module.  I also bought a $50 programmable charger to "rebalance" (i.e. charge and discharge each module in the pack).  So, basically I have a spare if one of the others needs one. 

I'm glad the used Prius is working out for you, OP.  They appeal to my engineering side and I'll probably own one at some point. 

For the high mileage owners, do you have any oil burning issues?  I've got a friend that has one with ~200,000 miles on it and it burns a noticeable amount of oil, he puts in 2-3 quarts between oil changes.  I imagine it has something to do with his drive cycle (he's pretty mustachian and doesn't really drive it much) but I was wondering if it was a common thing. 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2017, 06:55:21 AM »
That may be.  However, I see more older Prius ( 2nd gen ) than any other older car..by far.  Even up here in Minnesota.
 They really are that reliable.  Not sure how many have had the hybrid battery replaced though obviously.

I do not doubt that and I am a bit biased here. IMO cars made in Japan/built in Japan are just built better than if the car is built somewhere else. Plus Toyota invested a boat load of cash to make sure Prius is a great product. Both of our cars with high miles (not Prius) are made in Japan :)

Having said that, things worn-out, and breaks due to age and miles regardless where it is made. Since this is MMM, and we always circle back to money spent and cost, all I am saying is that when we are talking about owning older cars, obviously maintenance and complexity of the car matter since these cars are now not covered under warranty. A simpler, non-hybrid car might be cheaper to operate in this case.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2017, 07:25:33 AM »
Having said that, things worn-out, and breaks due to age and miles regardless where it is made. Since this is MMM, and we always circle back to money spent and cost, all I am saying is that when we are talking about owning older cars, obviously maintenance and complexity of the car matter since these cars are now not covered under warranty. A simpler, non-hybrid car might be cheaper to operate in this case.

I don't really mind if people think that Priuses are expensive to operate later in life--it makes them depreciate better! Its one of the reasons I also love older BMWs...they're a killer deal, so I don't try too hard to dissuade people from thinking otherwise.

But with that said, a Prius is pretty damn simple, the complexity is in the programming, which doesn't wear out.  Its transmission only has about 20% of the moving parts of a regular transmission, and the rest of it is basically a Corolla with a twist beam rear and mac-strut front.  I wouldn't worry about long-term ownership with one, I think maintenance costs would be comparable to a Corolla or a Civic, except that you get double the mileage. 

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2017, 08:03:51 AM »
Following along! There was another Prius thread recently that made me curious about used Priuses/Prii in my area, and I'm pretty surprised at the availability. I live an hour from a major city and another hour or so from farm country (in the opposite direction), and the cars in the city definitely seemed like a better deal than the ones in the country (lower mileage and newer going for cheaper). There was a 2013 (maybe?) with 80k miles selling for $6k... it's tempting. I currently drive a 2011 Dodge Avenger (bought new) that has less than 50k miles on it (I don't drive that much).

Does anyone know of a buying/selling a used car guide for dummies? What to ask for, what to do, what to check? My Avenger was my first car purchase, and my parents have never bought a used car. I'm afraid of being taken advantage of and/or buying a clunker. Where can I learn, o wise ones?

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »

For the high mileage owners, do you have any oil burning issues?  I've got a friend that has one with ~200,000 miles on it and it burns a noticeable amount of oil, he puts in 2-3 quarts between oil changes.  I imagine it has something to do with his drive cycle (he's pretty mustachian and doesn't really drive it much) but I was wondering if it was a common thing.

My 217k mile car burns a bit, and one of my friends' 2004 burns some as well.  Maybe a quart or two between oil changes.  Not a big deal to me.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
Does anyone know of a buying/selling a used car guide for dummies? What to ask for, what to do, what to check? My Avenger was my first car purchase, and my parents have never bought a used car. I'm afraid of being taken advantage of and/or buying a clunker. Where can I learn, o wise ones?

Join a forum for that particular car, so look for Prius specific forum, and you should be able to find lots of info. I dunno what it is, I do not own Prius.

In general, when one is not familiar with car, buying used car can be hard thing to do, that is why many people just buy new cars that comes with warranty. But you can learn, and lots of info on internet. I did. I started with no clue whatsoever, and I now do my own maintenance from oil change, to brakes, suspensions, alternator, radiator etc. I do enjoy working in the garage, a change of pace from sitting in front of computer all day.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »

I do not doubt that and I am a bit biased here. IMO cars made in Japan/built in Japan are just built better than if the car is built somewhere else. Plus Toyota invested a boat load of cash to make sure Prius is a great product. Both of our cars with high miles (not Prius) are made in Japan :)

Sounds like a well reasoned conclusion, but it really doesn't play out that way with a Prius. Taxi companies are regularly running them the first 300k miles with a few wheel bearings, and tires.  They are ending up at the top of cost of ownership surveys, as being the most reliable and cheapest vehicle to operate long term.  There are probably other hybrids that don't pencil out as well, but I doubt that, if the goal is 15-20 years of operation and a minimum of 300K miles of service, there is a more reliable, cost effective option out there.  Certainly there are Corrollas, Civics, Accords and Tacomas that will run that distance easily, but when long term repair, maintenance and fuel costs are factored, my guess is that they can't compete.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:49:27 AM by paddedhat »

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:14 AM »
I did this for three years and it was sweet. Never had any issues with my Prius. I got a little lifestyle inflation, sold it and got a new car and I immediately regret my decision :/

Plugra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2017, 03:48:32 PM »
I love my five-year old Prius. Lifetime cost of ownership so far (Cost of new car +gas+repairs)/(miles driven) = $0.71/mile and falling.  My plan is to drive it 100,000 miles before I take it into any shop (not counting tire replacement, which I just did at 40k miles). 

Having said that, sometimes it feels like I'm driving a soft boiled egg.  That's the price of perfect reliability.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2017, 07:32:56 PM »

Sounds like a well reasoned conclusion, but it really doesn't play out that way with a Prius. Taxi companies are regularly running them the first 300k miles with a few wheel bearings, and tires.  They are ending up at the top of cost of ownership surveys, as being the most reliable and cheapest vehicle to operate long term.  There are probably other hybrids that don't pencil out as well, but I doubt that, if the goal is 15-20 years of operation and a minimum of 300K miles of service, there is a more reliable, cost effective option out there.  Certainly there are Corrollas, Civics, Accords and Tacomas that will run that distance easily, but when long term repair, maintenance and fuel costs are factored, my guess is that they can't compete.

I think we got a little side-tracked here. I am not trying to get into debate that  that taxi companies regularly run them the first 300K miles and the cost of ownership is cheaper compare to others. But imo that does not apply here.

Why?

Because we are discussing 12 yr old car that has 152K. Correct me if I am wrong here, but there is no data that shows Prius still come up as winner (lowest cost) from 150K to 300K. Just because it has the lowest cost of ownership for the first 10 years (which was posted above), it does not means it will be the winner from 10 year - 20 year. And of course, in the first 10 years, some of the cost of maintenance are covered by warranty, so if anything breaks, does that counts as cost of ownership? because presumably the dealer fix that for free.

Also, unless OP is using his Prius as taxi, the comparison does not really apply here. Taxi do not go on short trips - the engine gets started, and run until it reach optimum temp and stayed there. Short trips are harder on engine - that is why companies recommend a more frequent oil change when cars are used for short trips often.

Not trying to rain on OP's parade, and I really hope OP's Prius will be trouble-free until 300K, but we need to look at the data and fact correctly here.

I just went thru the same discussion with a friend, trying to help him determine which car is the most economical for his needs. For used cars without warranty, we come to conclusion that small non-hybrid car like Civic or Corrolla is a safer bet due to it's simplicity. Yes, gas cost maybe higher than Prius, but that cost are split into years of ownership. And if you look at the miles/gallon + gas prices now, the differences every year are not that much. When a hybrid battery need to be replaced, you can not really spread the cost. And just because most battery last a long time, does not means you do not have a risk of spending the money here.

Can't Wait

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2017, 05:41:02 AM »

I think we got a little side-tracked here. I am not trying to get into debate that  that taxi companies regularly run them the first 300K miles and the cost of ownership is cheaper compare to others. But imo that does not apply here.

Why?

Because we are discussing 12 yr old car that has 152K. Correct me if I am wrong here, but there is no data that shows Prius still come up as winner (lowest cost) from 150K to 300K. Just because it has the lowest cost of ownership for the first 10 years (which was posted above), it does not means it will be the winner from 10 year - 20 year. And of course, in the first 10 years, some of the cost of maintenance are covered by warranty, so if anything breaks, does that counts as cost of ownership? because presumably the dealer fix that for free.

Also, unless OP is using his Prius as taxi, the comparison does not really apply here. Taxi do not go on short trips - the engine gets started, and run until it reach optimum temp and stayed there. Short trips are harder on engine - that is why companies recommend a more frequent oil change when cars are used for short trips often.

Not trying to rain on OP's parade, and I really hope OP's Prius will be trouble-free until 300K, but we need to look at the data and fact correctly here.

I just went thru the same discussion with a friend, trying to help him determine which car is the most economical for his needs. For used cars without warranty, we come to conclusion that small non-hybrid car like Civic or Corrolla is a safer bet due to it's simplicity. Yes, gas cost maybe higher than Prius, but that cost are split into years of ownership. And if you look at the miles/gallon + gas prices now, the differences every year are not that much. When a hybrid battery need to be replaced, you can not really spread the cost. And just because most battery last a long time, does not means you do not have a risk of spending the money here.

I'm not sure about a 2nd gen Prius, but a 3rd gen Prius is much easier to maintain than an ICE vehicle. A 3rd gen Prius has no belts to replace, no alternator, no starter motor, no power steering pump, the brakes can last for 10 years, etc..

As someone who has kept a few ICE vehicles well past 200k miles, those are the things that need to be replaced in years 10-15. Maybe not all at once, but it sure is frustrating to have your alternator go out and leave you stranded, then 4 months later your starter goes bad. Then a belt snaps. I'd much rather have a car that just didn't have any of those things.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »

Why?

Sorry, but the fact that a Prius can go the first 300k in taxi duty with no significant repairs is far from a useless piece of information in this discussion, simply because few vehicles can match that kind of durability and  reliability. The industry really only had one other rock solid choice, which was the old Panther class Fords, (Crown Vic)  If a vehicle is stunningly reliable in 300k miles of severe duty service, it matters, A LOT. Have you seen a lot of other fWD, unibody competitors in taxi fleets? I once got a ride in a newer Dodge caravan taxi with 260K on it. I comment about it to the driver, who responded that the thing is maintained and/or  repaired on a nightly basis, and has a check engine light that cannot be cured, so don't be too impressed.

When it comes to long term, multi-decade, 200k+ mileage data, as I'm sure you are aware, it's pretty hard to find. It would also be incredibly suspect. I saw one study of the longest lasting vehicles, that even the authors noted could be suspect, due to issues like municipal fleets that keep vehicles for decades, and taxi fleets that recycle used municipal vehicles and drive then forever.

The other extremely important fact in this discussion is, the overall experience of operating a vehicle for the second half of it's life, is highly dependent on how well it was cared for since day one. If you're the kind of owner who takes it to a quick lube place every 10-12K miles, ignores four out of five issues the vehicle has since "hell, it still runs", and put's  the cheapest of everything on it, from tires, to parts, it's not going to be a prime candidate for going the distance. If you do things like I do, with 5K synthetic oil changes, changing every other fluid every 30K or two years, and doing quality repairs with OEM parts, it's a totally different picture.

I find it amusing that most cost of ownership discussions involving Priuses always end up at the, "well, you lose WHEN the battery quits, and you know it's gonna' happen any day, so there" claims. Oddly enough, there seems to be damn few actual owners who ever needing batteries, and several low cost solutions to the problem of a weak or failed battery. I would suggest that driving an old civic or similar   always comes with the risk of a blown head gasket, and warped head,  a failed auto transmission, or a worn out clutch, all of which can easily cost as much, or more than the mythical, continually failing batteries, that oddly enough, don't seem to fail very often.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:27:22 AM by paddedhat »

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »

The Prius engine shuts off when not moving (or charging).

Many cabs spend many hours stationary during the shift at cab ranks. And in many towns the trips are very short... with long gaps in between.

I do agree that most machinery that runs continuously at the designed operating temperatures last longer. Not sure that applies in your specific example with the Prius/taxi comparison though.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »
Sorry, but the fact that a Prius can go the first 300k in taxi duty with no significant repairs is far from a useless piece of information in this discussion, simply because few vehicles can match that kind of durability and reliability.
Again, we are talking about cost at 150K and up. Just as I said earlier, Prius may have the cheapest cost of ownership from 0 miles - 300K miles. But when we are talking about cost from 150-300K miles, it does NOT means that same car will have the cheapest cost. That is a very real possibility right? Do you understand what I am trying to say?

Have you seen a lot of other fWD, unibody competitors in taxi fleets?
Um... yes - plenty of corolla, camry, civic, accord etc which are sold a boat load more than prius worldwide and driven as taxis pretty much everywhere in the world.

So let me ask this question, if Prius is so awesomely reliable and has the lowest cost of ownership up to 300K, why are rental and taxi companies not jumping in and buying Prius for their fleet by the bulk? 

When it comes to long term, multi-decade, 200k+ mileage data, as I'm sure you are aware, it's pretty hard to find. It would also be incredibly suspect. I saw one study of the longest lasting vehicles, that even the authors noted could be suspect, due to issues like municipal fleets that keep vehicles for decades, and taxi fleets that recycle used municipal vehicles and drive then forever.
Agree

The other extremely important fact in this discussion is, the overall experience of operating a vehicle for the second half of it's life, is highly dependent on how well it was cared for since day one. If you're the kind of owner who takes it to a quick lube place every 10-12K miles, ignores four out of five issues the vehicle has since "hell, it still runs", and put's  the cheapest of everything on it, from tires, to parts, it's not going to be a prime candidate for going the distance. If you do things like I do, with 5K synthetic oil changes, changing every other fluid every 30K or two years, and doing quality repairs with OEM parts, it's a totally different picture.
Agree

I find it amusing that most cost of ownership discussions involving Priuses always end up at the, "well, you lose WHEN the battery quits, and you know it's gonna' happen any day, so there" claims. Oddly enough, there seems to be damn few actual owners who ever needing batteries, and several low cost solutions to the problem of a weak or failed battery.
But it is an increased risk, no matter how low is the probability of needing battery. No battery = no risk of replacing that battery :)

I would suggest that driving an old civic or similar   always comes with the risk of a blown head gasket, and warped head,  a failed auto transmission, or a worn out clutch, all of which can easily cost as much, or more than the mythical, continually failing batteries, that oddly enough, don't seem to fail very often.

Hmm... so I do not have a Prius, so I could be in the wrong here. Does Prius has head gasket, auto tranny? You just prove my points here :) All I have been saying is the battery add a risk and potential cost compare to other cars, because other cars do not have it.

I would imagine cost of fixing head gasket, warped head auto tranny etc in Prius is about as expensive as in other cars, unless Prius do not have these.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:00:04 PM by sequoia »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »
I'm not sure about a 2nd gen Prius, but a 3rd gen Prius is much easier to maintain than an ICE vehicle. A 3rd gen Prius has no belts to replace, no alternator, no starter motor, no power steering pump, the brakes can last for 10 years, etc..

As someone who has kept a few ICE vehicles well past 200k miles, those are the things that need to be replaced in years 10-15. Maybe not all at once, but it sure is frustrating to have your alternator go out and leave you stranded, then 4 months later your starter goes bad. Then a belt snaps. I'd much rather have a car that just didn't have any of those things.

You just prove my points here. The more extra "stuff" a car has, the higher the risk (compare to car that does not have this "stuff") something is broken and need to be fixed - regardless how low is the risk of that "stuff" get broken.

All I am saying is owning a Prius or whatever car that has battery has higher risk, and potentially has higher cost of ownership because the battery is not cheap. Just like @Can't Wait said "I'd much rather have a car that just didn't have any of those things.". When talking about older car with no warranty left, then I am even more of on the side of "I'd much rather have a car that just didn't have any of those things."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:02:08 PM by sequoia »

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2017, 05:29:00 AM »

You just prove my points here. The more extra "stuff" a car has, the higher the risk (compare to car that does not have this "stuff") something is broken and need to be fixed - regardless how low is the risk of that "stuff" get broken.

All I am saying is owning a Prius or whatever car that has battery has higher risk, and potentially has higher cost of ownership because the battery is not cheap. Just like @Can't Wait said "I'd much rather have a car that just didn't have any of those things.". When talking about older car with no warranty left, then I am even more of on the side of "I'd much rather have a car that just didn't have any of those things."

So, in your mind, the inexpensive, used vehicle that is generally regarded as one of the best built, least expensive to operate, and is at least 50% more fuel efficient that a typical vehicle of it's size, should be avoided because it MIGHT have an issue with a battery someday?  Got it. Clearly your argument is persuasive.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2017, 06:27:21 AM »
So, in your mind, the inexpensive, used vehicle that is generally regarded as one of the best built, least expensive to operate, and is at least 50% more fuel efficient that a typical vehicle of it's size, should be avoided because it MIGHT have an issue with a battery someday?  Got it. Clearly your argument is persuasive.

Ha, you're talking to a wall.  Sequoia doesn't want a Prius, that's fine.  I tried to convince my Girlfriend and my Mom to get one and they said almost the exact same thing--a quasi technical response that's just wrong.  Its just because they don't want to say, "Fuck, that thing is UGLY! I wouldn't be caught dead in it!". 

Can't Wait

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2017, 07:09:49 AM »

An ICE vehicle, in my opinion, has many more points of failure than a 3rd gen Prius. Hell, even if that hybrid battery pack failed on the Prius, you could still drive the car. It wouldn't leave you stranded like a broken $30 serpentine belt will in an ICE vehicle.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2017, 07:37:05 AM »

Ha, you're talking to a wall.  Sequoia doesn't want a Prius, that's fine.  I tried to convince my Girlfriend and my Mom to get one and they said almost the exact same thing--a quasi technical response that's just wrong.  Its just because they don't want to say, "Fuck, that thing is UGLY! I wouldn't be caught dead in it!".

Amazing isn't it? My brother drives huge distances working in sales. He never has interactions involving customers seeing his car, no need to haul anything but himself, and it doesn't matter what he drives. He frequently uses his SUBURBAN, FFS.  I asked why he wouldn't drop $10K or so on a Prius, and come out way ahead on fuel and repairs? He replied that it just wasn't cool enough. I guess a suburban that needed four figure repairs on a regular basis and gets 15 MPG is WAY cooler, eh?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Drivers in southeast Michigan just hate me as I drive only 61 mph in my 2007 Prius on the highway, in the right lane. I'm trying to get maximum fuel efficiency.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2017, 06:28:14 AM »

Amazing isn't it? My brother drives huge distances working in sales. He never has interactions involving customers seeing his car, no need to haul anything but himself, and it doesn't matter what he drives. He frequently uses his SUBURBAN, FFS.  I asked why he wouldn't drop $10K or so on a Prius, and come out way ahead on fuel and repairs? He replied that it just wasn't cool enough. I guess a suburban that needed four figure repairs on a regular basis and gets 15 MPG is WAY cooler, eh?

Its funny though, I respect that your brother is self aware enough to realize that he's driving the Suburban to just "be cool".  If he tried to give some sort of technical mumbo-jumbo excuse that was wayyy off, I'd be more critical.  And that's what bugs me about my Mom and girlfriend...they just don't want to admit that they're driving what they're driving because they want to look cool!  And its true, the Prius is an uggly car, especially the new one, but if you're driving a lot, there's no better tool for the job. 

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »

Its funny though, I respect that your brother is self aware enough to realize that he's driving the Suburban to just "be cool".  If he tried to give some sort of technical mumbo-jumbo excuse that was wayyy off, I'd be more critical.  And that's what bugs me about my Mom and girlfriend...they just don't want to admit that they're driving what they're driving because they want to look cool!  And its true, the Prius is an uggly car, especially the new one, but if you're driving a lot, there's no better tool for the job.

Slightly getting off topic here, but check out the first couple of chapters of The Culture Code by Clotaire Rapaille (I recommend the whole book, really). One section discusses how PT Cruisers started a trend in "ugly" cars (as a former PT Cruiser owner, that thing was adorable, was the best car ever, and I will always love it) and how just changing the shape of Jeep's headlights revitalized sales.

Basically, this man (behavioral psychologist/expert, I believe) is hired by companies to make their product popular in certain cultures, and was tasked with bringing back Jeep's popularity. He asked people what they wanted in a car, and of course the obvious answers like safety, fuel efficiency, price, etc. But he determined those were just answers they thought other people expected them to say, so he dug a bit deeper. Very interesting read on the way the brain and behavior influences consumerism. Pairs well with Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational. (Apparently he has a new book out called Dollars and Sense coming out soon - seems really interesting!)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:46:34 AM by Lis »

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2017, 08:21:03 AM »

Slightly getting off topic here, but check out the first couple of chapters of The Culture Code by Clotaire Rapaille (I recommend the whole book, really). One section discusses how PT Cruisers started a trend in "ugly" cars (as a former PT Cruiser owner, that thing was adorable, was the best car ever, and I will always love it) and how just changing the shape of Jeep's headlights revitalized sales.

Basically, this man (behavioral psychologist/expert, I believe) is hired by companies to make their product popular in certain cultures, and was tasked with bringing back Jeep's popularity. He asked people what they wanted in a car, and of course the obvious answers like safety, fuel efficiency, price, etc. But he determined those were just answers they thought other people expected them to say, so he dug a bit deeper. Very interesting read on the way the brain and behavior influences consumerism. Pairs well with Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational. (Apparently he has a new book out called Dollars and Sense coming out soon - seems really interesting!)

I love this kind of stuff, I think they interviewed the "Predictably Irrational" guy on the Freakanomics podcast.  I'll have to check out the Culture Code the next time I'm at the library. 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »

I think you are again getting off topic here - I do not think I ever said to avoid Prius - you should read my posts again ^

Lets just say we agree to disagree here :)  I am out of this thread...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:47:42 PM by sequoia »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »

Thats not nice. I am not a wall, and I do not intend start calling other people names when they do not agree with me. I like to think we all can be adult here. 

Never said I do not like to have one.  I love to have a Prius or any car that has great fuel economy, IF it can do what our SUV do (like have 8 seats), then I am the first in line to write a check for that car :)  Just because we drive an SUV does not means we do not like small fuel sipper car. It just does not make sense and cost more to own both.

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »

An ICE vehicle, in my opinion, has many more points of failure than a 3rd gen Prius. Hell, even if that hybrid battery pack failed on the Prius, you could still drive the car. It wouldn't leave you stranded like a broken $30 serpentine belt will in an ICE vehicle.

I bought a 2010 with 100k on it a month ago, and love it.  I was also looking at the new Mazda 3's because I like crisp handling too, but the Mustachianism won out.  I love it!  I can drive conservatively and get 50mpg COMBINED AVERAGE.  Normally when people say "My car gets xx MPG" they're referring to the EPA HIGHWAY number.  I can drive it like I stole it and get 38-40MPG (average again).

And about the people afraid of Prii (?) because battery, I will submit that it is 1000x better than the fear factor of my previous car. 

Two words:  Interference Engine.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »

Thats not nice. I am not a wall, and I do not intend start calling other people names when they do not agree with me. I like to think we all can be adult here. 

Never said I do not like to have one.  I love to have a Prius or any car that has great fuel economy, IF it can do what our SUV do (like have 8 seats), then I am the first in line to write a check for that car :)  Just because we drive an SUV does not means we do not like small fuel sipper car. It just does not make sense and cost more to own both.

It's nothing personal, just an interesting observation on human logic. You were presented with a whole lot of facts, countered with some shaky logic, and held on to, " it's all about the battery". I have no dog in the fight,  in fact we specifically didn't buy a used Prius last summer since we needed the large cargo space of a small wagon or SUV, eliminating the standard model, and we found the V to be an oversized whale. That said, when having an online discussion with somebody that claims that initial, and medium term performance, and reliability are meaningless indicators of the last 1/2 or 1/3 of a vehicle's lifespan, and that the stunning cost to operate and reliability statistics are meaningless because, battery..............well, it sure looks like talking to a wall on this end, eh? 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:59:06 PM by paddedhat »

JL9berg13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
That looks like a fun trip!
I've been thinking of getting a smaller car (I currently have a 2001 Lexus RX300 with 200K miles).
The reason why I haven't made the purchase is because I go camping and end up on dirt roads all the time. My thinking was that the RX300 (even with its very low MPG: 18) would be needed for the roads. But now I'm thinking otherwise.
Thanks!

What'd you end up getting?

I have a rx400h (2006, bought in '14 with 108, now has 130k and no issues) and get 31mpg, but have to drive it like I'm playing a mileage game. But games are fun, so I'm in!

I wanted to get a hybrid, but I do a lot of camping, dirt roads, baja trips, etc. I think it's a good compromise and unlike the Highlander Hybrid (friend gets 22mpg) isn't a baby splitter.

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
Welcome! I'm a newer Prius owner, too. Love it!

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2017, 11:30:58 AM »
How are they in the snow?  I heard that they are not very good.  Now I'm a snow tire believer and I don't know if who I've talked to had snow tires but I highly doubt it.  Anyone here with experience care to elaborate?

I've had issues with the traction control in the snow. When the tires start to slip at a low speed, the car can get stuck where a normal car wouldn't. You can do a Google search and find similar complaints. I also had this issue on a dirt road, every time I tried to go over a hill, the traction control would kick in and the car would stop.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2017, 02:12:20 PM »
How are they in the snow?  I heard that they are not very good.  Now I'm a snow tire believer and I don't know if who I've talked to had snow tires but I highly doubt it.  Anyone here with experience care to elaborate?

I've had issues with the traction control in the snow. When the tires start to slip at a low speed, the car can get stuck where a normal car wouldn't. You can do a Google search and find similar complaints. I also had this issue on a dirt road, every time I tried to go over a hill, the traction control would kick in and the car would stop.

Interesting.  I've never noticed any traction problems with our 2010 Prius.  In fact, it is probably our best car in snow ( and this is in Minnesota ).  I'll admit that talking about 'traction problems' is a very subjective thing though.

However, as with any vehicle, it all comes down to the tires.  Many Prius owners put on low rolling resistance tires...which have reduced performance on snow/ice/etc...   With that being said, we had Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 tires on for quite a while and they did OK in snow ( in other words, my daughter made it through the winter )!   We recently switched to Michelin Defender tires which will take a MPG hit...but are vastly better in snow/ice than the Ecopias.

Check over on PriusChat for far more than you ever wanted to know about the Prius.  For example :

https://priuschat.com/threads/driving-through-snow-and-ice.133982/

By the way, we also have two Hyundai sedans ( a Sonata and an Elantra GT ) and the Prius does better in snow/ice precisely because of the tires.  Both Hyundais have absolutely horrible tires on..which are the ones they came with.  I'm too cheap to replace them right now!

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2017, 03:01:46 AM »
Fellow Prius owner here.
It's a 2008 and just passed the 100,000 mile marker.
I drive for Uber and Lyft part time and passengers often comment on how roomy it is inside.
Averages about 51 mpg.

Now if I could only find a nice mustachian girl who doesnt care what I drive Lol!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:20 AM »

It's nothing personal, just an interesting observation on human logic. You were presented with a whole lot of facts, countered with some shaky logic, and held on to, " it's all about the battery". I have no dog in the fight,  in fact we specifically didn't buy a used Prius last summer since we needed the large cargo space of a small wagon or SUV, eliminating the standard model, and we found the V to be an oversized whale. That said, when having an online discussion with somebody that claims that initial, and medium term performance, and reliability are meaningless indicators of the last 1/2 or 1/3 of a vehicle's lifespan, and that the stunning cost to operate and reliability statistics are meaningless because, battery..............well, it sure looks like talking to a wall on this end, eh?
Well said, Paddedhat!

We've rented a Prius several times. Our local Toyota Dealer has a rental program which used to be pretty reasonable. For long trips, the gas savings more than paid for the rental cost for the win, plus they were fun to drive.

Last time we needed a vehicle, we wanted to buy a used Prius. Alas, the only model that didn't bottom out in our driveway was the Prius V 5 (highest trim level, with biggest wheels). And that was after we had completely redone the driveway to improve the contour. Oh well, maybe after we downsize...until then, a girl can dream...

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »
I've decided to keep going with my 2007 Prius with 271,000 miles on it. I'll see if I can manage.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
Posting to follow, I currently don't own a car but once I fire (in august) I think I want one, and a nice, old, Prius, is at the top of my list.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »
Its also not a bad idea to think about just buying a hail damaged prius. I got my 05 with 110k miles for 2,200 dollars

Noremak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Following along! There was another Prius thread recently that made me curious about used Priuses/Prii in my area, and I'm pretty surprised at the availability. I live an hour from a major city and another hour or so from farm country (in the opposite direction), and the cars in the city definitely seemed like a better deal than the ones in the country (lower mileage and newer going for cheaper). There was a 2013 (maybe?) with 80k miles selling for $6k... it's tempting. I currently drive a 2011 Dodge Avenger (bought new) that has less than 50k miles on it (I don't drive that much).

This is a great series on buying a used car. Keep in mind it's used from an independent seller vs. from a used car dealer. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvKbarVtwhUv6bjLhJSyaEOxaYy03j7QS

One thing that might save you some heart ache is having a mechanic look it over AFTER your own inspection. They normally charge $50-$150 for a pre-buy inspection. If you heard any noises, squeaks you weren't sure about on your test drive, you can just ask them. Also, a google search for "year make model common problems" often turns up a forum page with some good results.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2017, 06:33:18 AM »
Have a few questions.  Please forgive my ignorance.  I had called our local Toyota dealership a month or so ago regarding a vehicle for our daughter.  The salesperson eventually steered the conversation toward buying a Prius.  I told him I didn't understand them.  So here are my questions.

He said you can switch into battery mode when you are driving.  When do you switch into battery mode?  (Our daughter would normally be driving to school on a highway, as we are rural.)

I asked him about how to charge the battery.   He mentioned it is self-charging.  Is it?  (I don't understand how this works.)

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2017, 06:52:42 AM »
Itt - I remember feeling like the Prius was a little weird for like a week. I forgot all about it until other people mentioned it whenever they needed to use my car!

I don't know if you were looking at a new one, but I'll talk about how my 2004 was. First, it switches from battery to gas all on its own. The driver doesn't do anything. For example, it will turn on the motor  when going uphill and switch electric when going downhill. It will be all electric when stopped at a stop sign or light. Most important thing is that the driver just drives. There is nothing different from the driver point of view.

As for charging, I don't understand exactly how it works. I'm not a mechanic or scientist. But, again from the driver point of view, it charges itself. I've been told the friction from the brakes is somehow transformed into an electric charge and directed to the battery. Again, I don't really understand. But the bottom line is it charges itself. There is no action required by the driver.

When/If you get one, there is a display (at least there was in 2004) that shows when you are using electric, gas, charging the battery or draining the battery. It's pretty cool.

For me, the thing was that I would get 40+ miles to the gallon. I'd go fill up my 7 gallon tank that would take me 280 ish miles for less than 15 bucks! Plus, my car cost $3,700 bucks. 3+ years later I sold it for $2,400. That was a deal.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »
Itt - I remember feeling like the Prius was a little weird for like a week. I forgot all about it until other people mentioned it whenever they needed to use my car!

I don't know if you were looking at a new one, but I'll talk about how my 2004 was. First, it switches from battery to gas all on its own. The driver doesn't do anything. For example, it will turn on the motor  when going uphill and switch electric when going downhill. It will be all electric when stopped at a stop sign or light. Most important thing is that the driver just drives. There is nothing different from the driver point of view.

As for charging, I don't understand exactly how it works. I'm not a mechanic or scientist. But, again from the driver point of view, it charges itself. I've been told the friction from the brakes is somehow transformed into an electric charge and directed to the battery. Again, I don't really understand. But the bottom line is it charges itself. There is no action required by the driver.

When/If you get one, there is a display (at least there was in 2004) that shows when you are using electric, gas, charging the battery or draining the battery. It's pretty cool.

For me, the thing was that I would get 40+ miles to the gallon. I'd go fill up my 7 gallon tank that would take me 280 ish miles for less than 15 bucks! Plus, my car cost $3,700 bucks. 3+ years later I sold it for $2,400. That was a deal.

This is good to know.  I was under the assumption that the driver pushes a button to go back and forth between gas and electric, and thinking that's too much work to remember when to switch, etc.

If you are buying a used Prius, how can you tell if one of the cells/battery is about to go bad?  Or is there such a way?  We've bought "regular" cars before where one or two weeks later the battery goes bad. 

Also, for those drivers who've had to replace the battery/one of the cells, I just googled and see where you can replace a cell that is not charged versus replacing the whole battery.  Is this a terribly difficult thing to do if you are not a mechanical/technical person?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2017, 07:37:57 AM »
The big battery also charges while it is rolling downhill. So, you can go on a long trip without braking much and downhill motion will still keep the battery charged. I don't completely understand how this works, but my brother (electrical engineer) explained to me and at least it made sense right in the moment when he was explaining it . . . plus there is a display that shows it is charging at certain times and I noticed it shows small charging while rolling downhill on a highway. It doesn't discharge while you are going uphill (gas is used instead), so overall it is fine in a rural area.

OP, I hope your Prius expt is going well!

I did my own $3600 Prius experiment for a few years. I didn't keep strict track, but I bought a 2003 with 180K for $3600, sold 4 years later this past Dec at 242K for $400 (with big battery warning lights on). Cheap taxes, cheap insurance.
The only maintenance I did was a cheap oxygen sensor when the check engine light came on, oil changes, replaced the small battery, and a couple of tires. It got about 42mpg overall, so not quite as high as newer models, but still pretty good.

Although the battery rebuild could have worked out, I was ready for something different . . . so I got a 2014 Prius of almost the same color that I bought last year. The newer one cost me $11K, but only had 50K miles on it. So I guess I'm doing another experiment.  It just boggles my mind that a 2016 or 2017 Prius on the lot was $23K-35K at the time I bought my car, but a two year old (maybe 3 realistically actual age) car with intermediate options package was such a small fraction of that price. Crazy.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:45:39 AM by Zamboni »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »
One of the most important reasons a Prius gets good milage is that when the engine is running, it's running at peak efficiency and using "excess" power to power the battery. With a regular vehicle the engine runs much less efficiently.

The combination of electric/gas motors mean that when the car is needing power, it's almost always much much MUCH more efficient than a standard ICE vehicle.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2017, 01:22:11 PM »
Where do you folks buy these cheap? Just using craigslist or some other way?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »
I got mine first one (the very low price one) on Craigslist.

For ~$9K and up for a newer model, there currently seem to be zillions of them everywhere including at dealerships.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »
I got mine first one (the very low price one) on Craigslist.

For ~$9K and up for a newer model, there currently seem to be zillions of them everywhere including at dealerships.

Hrm, I'm moving back to the bay area from the mid west and trying to figure out if the prices are better here and make it worth the drive back to Cali.

I agree there are lots out there, not many for my cheap ass (under 5k :) ).

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »
Where do you folks buy these cheap? Just using craigslist or some other way?

Try craigslist or copart if you are handy.