Author Topic: Thank you, thank you, and thank you  (Read 3868 times)

Rhinodad

• Stubble
Thank you, thank you, and thank you
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:28:48 AM »
Since finding MMM about 3 years ago, we've worked fairly hard to optimizing our lifestyle and how we allocate our income. We have whittled away at senseless spending, used various revenue enhancers (tradelines, CC bonuses, Bank account, etc.) and were able to save my wife's complete salary. This has put us in a position of some relative strength. Last Thursday, my wife was able to give her notice for a job that she had grown to hate. Her direct boss, and VP of that division both lack some ethics, and would continually put my wife in awkward positions with flat out lies(Example: On a large Zoom meeting, the VP would tell the group of Directors (which my wife is one), that they had met and gone over the future plans...only they had never met. They would frequently try to give my wife talking points to go over with staff that weren't accurate, and would micromanage...even when they had 0 experience dealing with the specific area my wife was the Director of.

Thank you to this website, and to all of you for the tips, the posts, the hacks, and even your stories for helping us get in a position that we could make not having to compromise our integrity to earn a buck.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Thank you, thank you, and thank you
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:39:05 AM »
Give yourselves the credit. Most don't have the desire or discipline. Congratulations!

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 09:18:37 AM »
I'm new here and that sounds like an awesome story.  Great to hear that y'all are on the same page and supportive of each other.  Sounds like a great team.

Congratulations to both of you.

Midwest_Handlebar

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 09:23:28 AM »
Congratulations Rhinodad, it is nearly impossible to push back on unreasonable/unethical behavior when you're beholden to others for a paycheck. You have done what few others have and taken control of your own lives. Well done.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 09:55:29 AM »
Give yourselves the credit. Most don't have the desire or discipline. Congratulations!

True - horse and water, yada yada.

And congratulations to your wife for being strong enough to break away - dysfunction can have a strange hold over us.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »
Her direct boss, and VP of that division both lack some ethics, and would continually put my wife in awkward positions with flat out lies(Example: On a large Zoom meeting, the VP would tell the group of Directors (which my wife is one), that they had met and gone over the future plans...only they had never met. They would frequently try to give my wife talking points to go over with staff that weren't accurate, and would micromanage...even when they had 0 experience dealing with the specific area my wife was the Director of.

This. This is why I feel like everyone should be in the position where money isn't controlling their life.
Great job to you and your wife.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 11:28:54 PM »
Congrats!

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 10:05:43 AM »
Congratulations!!!!  This is the type of the story I like to see.

While our current goals / financial direction seem a bit aimless, the tools learned here have given us this kind of freedom already!

It is SO freeing to move out from under a job where people do things that disgust you!

smileyface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
What a great story! Congrats!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 12:45:53 PM »
So nice to hear.  Kudos.  Has your wife retired, or is she looking for something else?

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 03:54:27 PM »
Good story. Feeling trapped in a bad job is the worst. Knowing that you can leave at any point makes it easier on your mental health. From my experience, you don't always have to leave. Knowing that you have the option is enough. My might start saying, "no" to things and it might work out. Or maybe you get yourself fired, but either way, you get to play by your rules.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
Love it - these types of stories!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 04:22:55 AM »
As Ender stated love these stories. Congrats all the way around!

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 07:52:02 AM »
So nice to hear.  Kudos.  Has your wife retired, or is she looking for something else?

She is looking for something else. With kid in private school, and still having a mortgage, we would be fine for quite some time before dipping into savings...and could probably be okay if she didn't go back to work, but that would delay my retirement until probably 62, when we were shooting for 54 or 55. I'm 50 right now.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
That is what it is all about, the freedom to walk away - if and when - you want. Financial Independence there is nothing better than that.
I found MMM quite late but it is amazing what one can do even on a lower income once you apply the many ideas and inspiration from this site.

CONGRATS, you got this!

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 11:11:55 AM »
That is what it is all about, the freedom to walk away - if and when - you want. Financial Independence there is nothing better than that.
I found MMM quite late but it is amazing what one can do even on a lower income once you apply the many ideas and inspiration from this site.

CONGRATS, you got this!

Thanks. We also found MMM pretty late...like at age 47...but making the changes that we did, it really started to compound over the last 2 years, putting us in the position we are now...having options.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 01:33:58 PM »
Late to this party, but hearty congratulations are still in order!