Author Topic: removed  (Read 288008 times)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
I received my bonus points at the same time as the regular spending points, for both cards. I am not sure if that's how it's supposed to *always* work? Did you subtract the yearly fees from the total when figuring out your $2k spend on each card?

mustachemayhem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2015, 05:02:22 PM »
I received my bonus points at the same time as the regular spending points, for both cards. I am not sure if that's how it's supposed to *always* work? Did you subtract the yearly fees from the total when figuring out your $2k spend on each card?

Yes. after i received my cards i moved the closing date to the 4th (Decemeber 4th was my first statement close. I payed the balance which was mostly the yearly fees. Next statement was January 4th and it was just over 2k on one card. I guess i'm going to have to call them.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2015, 10:40:21 PM »
Any idea how long it takes for the bonus points to post? My account closed on 1/4 and i payed the bill on 1/5. Southwest shows the 2k points for the regular spend but no bonus points.

Here's the report from my husband:

He got a personal and a business card (both Premier), both closing on 1/2.  On both cards, he made the minimum spend before the closing date.  With the business card, they awarded all points (both spend and bonus points) on the closing date, 1/2.  With the personal card, they awarded the spend points on 1/2, but not the bonus points.  When he called, they said that the bonus points for the personal card were awarded on 1/5, which was after the closing date, so they won't be posted until the next closing date, 2/2.

Also, he bought Southwest points with Marriott points and within two days they were added to his account and shown as applying to the Companion pass.

mustachemayhem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2015, 08:53:13 AM »
Any idea how long it takes for the bonus points to post? My account closed on 1/4 and i payed the bill on 1/5. Southwest shows the 2k points for the regular spend but no bonus points.

Here's the report from my husband:

He got a personal and a business card (both Premier), both closing on 1/2.  On both cards, he made the minimum spend before the closing date.  With the business card, they awarded all points (both spend and bonus points) on the closing date, 1/2.  With the personal card, they awarded the spend points on 1/2, but not the bonus points.  When he called, they said that the bonus points for the personal card were awarded on 1/5, which was after the closing date, so they won't be posted until the next closing date, 2/2.

Also, he bought Southwest points with Marriott points and within two days they were added to his account and shown as applying to the Companion pass.

I called and they told me basically the same thing. They said they requested the bonus points on the 7th and they won't post until my next closing date in February.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
Might be time to check you account because mine is showing that I have the companion pass as of today!

Awesome, congrats! I am waiting on the delivery of 1300 points, and then I hope mine will show up. How many days between acquiring the 110k points and the arrival of the pass?

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2015, 08:35:21 PM »
Applied for both a regular and business card today  for SW and both were not automatically approved.  I hope I get approved.   
Got the Chase Ink business and Hyatt Cards and US Airways a few months back and hit the spends on all those.
Looking forward to some travel! And not spending a lot of $$

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
My chase points both posted on 1/4 and my Hyatt points transfer posted on 1/5 and I received the companion pass status today the 12th so it was a week exactly. 

I just booked our first trip!

Where are you headed?

My only concern is that my choice hotel points still aren't showing as "companion pass qualifying" but I am pretty sure it'll still work. Good to know that I have a whole week after I cross the threshold to wait.

dhbike01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
My only concern is that my choice hotel points still aren't showing as "companion pass qualifying" but I am pretty sure it'll still work. Good to know that I have a whole week after I cross the threshold to wait.

My account has also been updated.  Although my Choice points that were redeemed the end of December and posted in January did not count thus far for the Companion Pass.  I had some more Choice points queued up, just in case the end of December experiment did not work, and so I'm trying another 1,800.  I'm at 98% so if this doesn't work I'll just have to wait until Feb 2nd for the next statement close.

Frugal Consumerist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Consumerist
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2015, 06:29:17 AM »
We are heading down to San Antonio to visit friends for the long President's weekend next month, then we are heading out to AZ for spring training in late March/early April,  and then out to Portland in June.

Congrats! Mine just posted as well. Booked our flight to Aruba. The good news...in the time that I first got the points in my SW account and today, the cost (in Rapid Rewards) of the flight has gone down 6,000. This thing just keeps getting better. By my calculations, the points + the CP will reap about $4,000 in value. Not bad for $170 in credit card fees.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2015, 08:33:22 AM »
We are heading down to San Antonio to visit friends for the long President's weekend next month, then we are heading out to AZ for spring training in late March/early April,  and then out to Portland in June.

Congrats! Mine just posted as well. Booked our flight to Aruba. The good news...in the time that I first got the points in my SW account and today, the cost (in Rapid Rewards) of the flight has gone down 6,000. This thing just keeps getting better. By my calculations, the points + the CP will reap about $4,000 in value. Not bad for $170 in credit card fees.

I'm one year in on my Companion Pass and expect the value for the points and companion pass for me to be around $3000. I then got 70,000 more points with a Chase Ink Bold business card that got me another ~$2000 in value with the companion pass. I'm now at the point that I have more points than I have time to take flights with my wife in the next year so I need to move onto another reward type than Southwest points. Any recommendations for something that gets anywhere close to this return?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
Question here:

Is there anyone here that signed up for both cards, who's wife/husband also signed up for both cards? Can the designated companion pass holder also be the owner of two cards and designate the other person as a companion pass holder?

Ie. I've already signed up, and in 3 weeks will hit the 110k mark, and when the companion pass posts to my account, I will designate my wife.

Is there any reason why my wife couldn't do the same, and designate me as her companion pass holder? Thus generating 220k air miles?

--Alex

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
Question here:

Is there anyone here that signed up for both cards, who's wife/husband also signed up for both cards? Can the designated companion pass holder also be the owner of two cards and designate the other person as a companion pass holder?

Ie. I've already signed up, and in 3 weeks will hit the 110k mark, and when the companion pass posts to my account, I will designate my wife.

Is there any reason why my wife couldn't do the same, and designate me as her companion pass holder? Thus generating 220k air miles?

--Alex

Nope, totally allowed.  Fairly frequently done, too, as far as I can tell.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
Just a data point for y'all...

I applied for BOTH the personal cards about 30 minutes ago (the premiere and the plus) and was instantly approved for both.   

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
Question here:

--Alex

Nope, totally allowed.  Fairly frequently done, too, as far as I can tell.

The better move I've seen though is to alternate years with your spouse. You get it for 2015/2016 and your spouse gets it for 2017/2018 repeat. Because you can't apply for the same cards within 2 years, this allows you to continually have companion pass status.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »
The better move I've seen though is to alternate years with your spouse. You get it for 2015/2016 and your spouse gets it for 2017/2018 repeat. Because you can't apply for the same cards within 2 years, this allows you to continually have companion pass status.

Nice, good call!

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »

Nice, good call!

That's a better move for sure. I suppose the only drawback would be if the offer weren't available in two years hence. Of course,  if it were, you'd force yourself out of awesome benefits.

OR, if you were planning MASSIVE travel during a given two year period you could generate a few hundred thousand air miles between a couple and reap the benefits. 

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
Has anyone who transferred Choice points received the pass yet? Is anyone else's choice points transfer not showing as "Companion Pass Qualifying Points"?

dhbike01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »
Has anyone who transferred Choice points received the pass yet? Is anyone else's choice points transfer not showing as "Companion Pass Qualifying Points"?

Since you transferred your points on 12/31, I don't think they will count this year.  My Choice points from Dec did not count, even though they posted in Jan.  I transferred 1800 points from Choice last night to see if that's the case.  Will let you know.  I actually called Southwest and they said I didn't have any Choice points in Jan but that they were in Dec, even though on their site I see them in Jan.  I think the dead giveaway is that the transaction line item has a December date in the description, so they know.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »
Related question: What should I do with my SW points?  I don't fly much, besides on business.  Am I losing value to point inflation every year I sit on these?  I can redeem 100 points/$ at Amazon or other gift cards... I'm sure I can offset some expenses with that.  But you get more bang for your buck with flights, I know that.

Edit: actually, I can cash out my points at 100 points/$ by using my points to buy SW gift cards.  Then, when I fly on business, I get reimbursed for those dollars.  But it's still not as good as flying -- I just don't do it much these days!  So far I've been keeping a "bank" of say 50k miles and cashing the rest in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:43:28 PM by dragoncar »

Frugal Consumerist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Consumerist
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2015, 06:19:32 AM »

I'm one year in on my Companion Pass and expect the value for the points and companion pass for me to be around $3000. I then got 70,000 more points with a Chase Ink Bold business card that got me another ~$2000 in value with the companion pass. I'm now at the point that I have more points than I have time to take flights with my wife in the next year so I need to move onto another reward type than Southwest points. Any recommendations for something that gets anywhere close to this return?

The only card that comes to mind is the US Bank Club Carlson Premier. I get a 5% return per dollar spent because of the "last night free" benefit. Any reward stay over 1 night booked with points, they give you the last night free. This works great with two people having the card, you just book 2-night stays back to back. I have a blog post about the cards we used to get a free honeymoon (flight + hotels) and it discusses the Club Carlson Premier as well as some other cards.

http://www.frugalconsumerist.com/our-free-honeymoon/

Club Carlson has some really nice hotels in Europe, their fancy hotel selection in the US is a little more limited, but they do have a lot of mid range hotels here.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2015, 10:21:16 AM »
Since you transferred your points on 12/31, I don't think they will count this year.  My Choice points from Dec did not count, even though they posted in Jan.  I transferred 1800 points from Choice last night to see if that's the case.  Will let you know.  I actually called Southwest and they said I didn't have any Choice points in Jan but that they were in Dec, even though on their site I see them in Jan.  I think the dead giveaway is that the transaction line item has a December date in the description, so they know.

I am 95% sure you're correct, and I am super mad at myself for jumping the gun. I thought I had read that Choice points credited on the day they posted to Southwest, not the day they transferred - and all I had to do was wait like 4 more hours!!!! AHHHG! I now need to make up 2700 points.

I really didn't want to spend more money on this, but it looks like I might have to... I can possibly close my Serve account and open a RedCard to manufacture spend, but I am not sure if this will work, and then I'll have 3 months worth of mortgage & bills on the RedCard, which causes a bit of a cashflow problem.

The 1800flowers offer that is currently shown expired Dec 31st, so I don't want to try to "buy" points via a flower order until the offer updates. I could buy more Choice points, but 1800 SW points doesn't quite get me there, and costs a lot ($66).

dhbike01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »

I am 95% sure you're correct, and I am super mad at myself for jumping the gun. I thought I had read that Choice points credited on the day they posted to Southwest, not the day they transferred - and all I had to do was wait like 4 more hours!!!! AHHHG! I now need to make up 2700 points.

I really didn't want to spend more money on this, but it looks like I might have to... I can possibly close my Serve account and open a RedCard to manufacture spend, but I am not sure if this will work, and then I'll have 3 months worth of mortgage & bills on the RedCard, which causes a bit of a cashflow problem.

The 1800flowers offer that is currently shown expired Dec 31st, so I don't want to try to "buy" points via a flower order until the offer updates. I could buy more Choice points, but 1800 SW points doesn't quite get me there, and costs a lot ($66).

I'm even more confident now than last night.  I also did the Dining and Shopping promotion.  I ate at a resturant on 12/31.  My bonus points posted on 01/07 but again with 12/31 in the transaction description.  Those bonus points did not count for the companion pass.  However, I ate at another resturant on 01/03 and the bonus points posted on 01/14 and counted against the Companion Pass.  Constrast that with Southwest CC spending.  My Premier and Plus statements closed on 1/1 and that's the date in the transaction description.  The transaction date in the Rewards Activity is 1/3 but it's really the 1/1 that is the key.  There is a learning curve on this.

By the way, I used the RedCard and paid normal bills.  However, I had some surplus on the RedCard and made a partial payment on one of the credit cards.  It works so try that.

retirementbound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2015, 11:29:46 PM »
Hi, thanks for the great information in this thread! I'm hoping for some assistance with applying for Serve through the Softcard app on T-Mobile.

I didn't realize I had to apply for Serve through the Softcard app to get the higher load limits; I thought if I had both, it would increase my limits but that isn't the case. I have found that I need to cancel my Serve account and reapply through Softcard to get the higher limits. I have closed my Serve account and have received confirmation emails that my Serve account has been closed and that the Amex Serve card was removed from my Softcard account. I know I may need to wait a day or two to apply, but I wanted to see how to apply for Serve through the Softcard app. I have tried selecting "Add a Card" and choosing American Express Serve, but it just links me to go to the mobile website. I saw in a post to make sure I'm connected to T-Mobile's network and not WiFi; I have tried this with the same result. My phone is the Samsung Galaxy s5.

For others who have signed up through Softcard with T-Mobile, can you tell me how you signed up for a Serve account through the app, please?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:52:04 PM by retirementbound »

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2015, 08:18:18 AM »
I know I may need to wait a day or two to apply, but I wanted to see how to apply for Serve through the Softcard app. I have tried selecting "Add a Card" and choosing American Express Serve, but it just links me to go to the mobile website.

You're doing the right thing. When you enter the Serve website through Softcard and add a card that way, you'll automatically be eligible for the $1500 credit card load limit.

retirementbound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2015, 08:28:11 AM »
I know I may need to wait a day or two to apply, but I wanted to see how to apply for Serve through the Softcard app. I have tried selecting "Add a Card" and choosing American Express Serve, but it just links me to go to the mobile website.

You're doing the right thing. When you enter the Serve website through Softcard and add a card that way, you'll automatically be eligible for the $1500 credit card load limit.

Thank you so much!

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »

The only card that comes to mind is the US Bank Club Carlson Premier. I get a 5% return per dollar spent because of the "last night free" benefit. Any reward stay over 1 night booked with points, they give you the last night free. This works great with two people having the card, you just book 2-night stays back to back. I have a blog post about the cards we used to get a free honeymoon (flight + hotels) and it discusses the Club Carlson Premier as well as some other cards.

Club Carlson has some really nice hotels in Europe, their fancy hotel selection in the US is a little more limited, but they do have a lot of mid range hotels here.

Perfect! Applying today, going to turn it into 4 days at 4 star resorts (2 days at one, 2 days at another) in Iceland in April. Problem solved :-)

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2015, 12:51:41 AM »
My statements for both personal cards closed tonight, so now I'm eagerly awaiting the points showing up. I got the 10K spend done using RedBird and a couple of other methods by around Jan 6th so hopefully they had plenty of time to order up the bonus points and apply them this cycle.  A few weeks ago, I ended up transferring some Ultimate Rewards points to book a trip for the end of Feb so hopefully I don't have a delay and can add my companion to those flights!

Frugal Consumerist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Consumerist
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2015, 05:58:22 AM »

Perfect! Applying today, going to turn it into 4 days at 4 star resorts (2 days at one, 2 days at another) in Iceland in April. Problem solved :-)

Nice! I have been dying to go to Iceland, and definitely want to check out the Radisson Blu 1919. Would love to hear your review after your trip.

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
Data point:

Statement closed end of day 1/15 (yesterday). Called this afternoon after I saw points were in my Rapid Rewards account. Had to call customer care to have companion name manually added. Under 10 minutes total process. Went back in and added my companion to some existing flights.  Score!!!

dhbike01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

I'm even more confident now than last night.  I also did the Dining and Shopping promotion.  I ate at a resturant on 12/31.  My bonus points posted on 01/07 but again with 12/31 in the transaction description.  Those bonus points did not count for the companion pass.  However, I ate at another resturant on 01/03 and the bonus points posted on 01/14 and counted against the Companion Pass.  Constrast that with Southwest CC spending.  My Premier and Plus statements closed on 1/1 and that's the date in the transaction description.  The transaction date in the Rewards Activity is 1/3 but it's really the 1/1 that is the key.  There is a learning curve on this.

By the way, I used the RedCard and paid normal bills.  However, I had some surplus on the RedCard and made a partial payment on one of the credit cards.  It works so try that.

No surprise here but my latest round of Choice points posted and counted against the Companion Pass.  I now have a Companion Pass.

Here is what the transactions look like.

Date      Type   Description
01/21/2015   Hotel   Choice 01/12/2015 (Companion Pass Qualifying)
01/05/2015   Hotel   Choice 12/28/2014 (Not Companion Pass Qualifying)

For Choice, when you initiate the transfer of Choice points to Southwest is the date used instead of the post date.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »
For Choice, when you initiate the transfer of Choice points to Southwest is the date used instead of the post date.

I am still mad at myself - thanks for confirming that the transfer works if initiated in the right year!

I will have my pass after the next statement close on Feb 3rd.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »
I'm curious about the 50,000 southwest pts you get after spending $2000 with the Chase Rapid Rewards card...

Whenever I received my card and all the information, it never mentions anywhere the 50,000 pt bonus.  Will it just "magically" appear in your account after you spend the $2000?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »
I'm curious about the 50,000 southwest pts you get after spending $2000 with the Chase Rapid Rewards card...

Whenever I received my card and all the information, it never mentions anywhere the 50,000 pt bonus.  Will it just "magically" appear in your account after you spend the $2000?

If that bonus was in effect when you signed up, yes.  You can always call customer service and confirm what your bonus is, when it's due by, etc.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2015, 09:04:10 PM »
Add me to the list of folks with a new companion pass.  Whoo-hoo!  One trip already booked for March and two more planned for April and July.

One of the things I signed up for recently is the Rapid Rewards Dining Program.  They advertised a 1000 point bonus for signing up your Chase card and completing one dine and review within a certain time period.  I knew I'd manage it with a special occasion dinner that was going to happen no matter what in early January.  While that bonus (+ the points for the dining itself) has appeared in my account, the 1000 point bonus doesn't appear to be counting as Companion pass qualify points at this time (I'll update if that changes.)  I don't eat out very much, but I recently accidentally had a qualifying "dine" while on a road trip to another state.  No clue it was a place in the program; just ordered from a place the bellhop recommended.  I have a feeling those dining points will add up over time.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
I received the actual companion pass card in the mail the other day.  So I have that going for me, which is nice.

Did it come with total consciousness?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:42:01 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2015, 02:40:38 PM »
I received the actual companion pass card in the mail the other day.  So I have that going for me, which is nice.

I doubt the Dali Lama sent you the card though. ;-)

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »

If that bonus was in effect when you signed up, yes.  You can always call customer service and confirm what your bonus is, when it's due by, etc.

I just got mine.  Key point is that you have to wait for the monthly statement date of the CC.  Mine was Jan 18 and I saw it post on SW yesterday.  Now I just need to call and find out about the plus card I applied for...

Sara

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2015, 09:02:33 AM »
I just achieved companion pass status.  I値l be honest I was very skeptical this was going to work.  I have both the Premier card and the plus card.  I知 so excited to do some traveling this year once my boyfriend is done with Grad school in May!  I only wish they flew to more places in the Midwest (where I知 from) and Hawaii would be nice as well, but it sounds like it (Hawaii) might be in the works!  Thanks everyone for all the tips!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »
I just achieved companion pass status.  I値l be honest I was very skeptical this was going to work.  I have both the Premier card and the plus card.  I知 so excited to do some traveling this year once my boyfriend is done with Grad school in May!  I only wish they flew to more places in the Midwest (where I知 from) and Hawaii would be nice as well, but it sounds like it (Hawaii) might be in the works!  Thanks everyone for all the tips!

Congrats, and welcome to the forums!

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
So I screwed up in December and got my first bonus to early. My husband was going to sign up for both cards so we could try again, but by the time we figured it out the promotion was over.

Question: The only current promotion is for the Signature card - do you think if he gets this card they will run the promotion on the Premier card again soon also?

Link: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/50kPremierNonAEP?CELL=6RHZ

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
No, promotions for both cards should still be available: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/partners/credit-cards/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-cards/index.html?int=GSUBNAV-RR-VISA

Just click on "learn more" and the 50K promotion is at the top for both cards. My husband just signed up and ideally it's best to do both in one day if you care about the credit pull.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2015, 09:32:05 PM »
Got approved for both cards.  The business Premier card was originally declined due to too many credit lines with Chase but I called and they moved some lines around and got approved.  Now onto spending to earn the Companion Pass.  Just wanted to share that calling can work out if originally declined. Never been declined for a card before so that was a new one for me.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2015, 04:27:33 AM »
Ringing endorsement:

My experience with this entire process has been extremely positive.  I was approved for two cards online on the same day in Nov and then was able to earn the bonus in January through a combination of my normal spending and earning points other ways (one business trip flight last week, converting some existing Choice hotels points, 1000 point bonus for a $35 birthday gift order from 1-800-flowers, and joining rapid rewards dining which netted me a couple of hundred points + another 1000 bonus.) That last 1000 points didn't seem to apply to the companion pass qualification, but it turns out I didn't even need it with so many other things netting points.

As a couple of others have noted, the companion pass didn't show up right away even though it said I was eligible, so I called customer service and she added my companion to the account as well as a couple of existing flights that I had already booked for myself.  For one of my trips my companion needed to fly back earlier than I, so ~12000 points paid for that trip home (which is barely a drop in the points bucket at this point.)  I am also A-list qualified for early boarding now, which means I got to get in the short line for baggage check and then again at security check and also boarded in the first group for my business trip and get the extra leg room rows which I really appreciate.  I might even start bringing a rolling carry on since there will surely always be overhead bin space when I board!  It just keeps getting better and better!  Seriously, I can't believe anyone who can manage this and knows about it doesn't do it. My only regret is that I wish I had known about it a couple of years ago.

Good luck to everyone who is working on this, and thank you very much for posting to let us all know about it!

OutBy40

• Stubble
    • ThinkSaveRetire.com
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2015, 01:34:35 PM »
This is a bad ass offer for sure.  We are about 1200 points shy of the companion pass at the moment.  Lots of travel planned for this year, so it'll be nice to have a bunch of airline tickets bought for the price of the airline fee.  :)

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »
Has anyone used the Companion Pass on international flights on a carrier other than South West?

Specifically I'm interested in booking an international flight via this method

https://creditcards.chase.com/southwest/redeem/international-travel

I wonder if my future companion pass will be valid on such a flight. I.E Seattle --> Madrid or London or Bangkok...

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2015, 05:10:46 PM »
Has anyone used the Companion Pass on international flights on a carrier other than South West?

I wonder if my future companion pass will be valid on such a flight. I.E Seattle --> Madrid or London or Bangkok...

I had no idea you could do that but I seriously doubt the companion pass would work on another airline. Playing around with that site makes it seem that you are simply booking a flight with another carrier that wont go through the Southwest website where you would say "add my companion." I'll be on the lookout for information to the contrary though.

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »
No, promotions for both cards should still be available: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/partners/credit-cards/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-cards/index.html?int=GSUBNAV-RR-VISA

Just click on "learn more" and the 50K promotion is at the top for both cards. My husband just signed up and ideally it's best to do both in one day if you care about the credit pull.

YES!! ^^^THIS^^^ is why I love you all! Thank you mushroom! I've been so upset cause I thought I totally screwed it up. Thanks for responding with the link.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2015, 02:46:54 AM »

I had no idea you could do that but I seriously doubt the companion pass would work on another airline. Playing around with that site makes it seem that you are simply booking a flight with another carrier that wont go through the Southwest website where you would say "add my companion." I'll be on the lookout for information to the contrary though.

Southwest promoted international flights on multiple airlines, accessible with points etc. However, it took me a way too long to find the correct link/path to find a way to book international flights on other carriers.

I also hight doubt that a companion pass would be valid for an international flight outside of Southwest Airlines, but I may call them up and ask should I plan to make such a trip.

hred17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2015, 02:56:18 AM »
Just posting to follow thread for future use. Moving back to the Southwest USA in a year or so (from the UK) and would like to keep this in mind.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
For anybody who has yet to get the pesky remaining 6000 Southwest points to reach 110k for the companion pass, here's an easy way to get 1750 bonus points per order over $29.99 at 1-800-flowers.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/southwest-now-offering-1750-points-per-29-99-order-with-1800-flowers/
EDIT: Here's a better explanation: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2015/02/02/how-to-feed-the-hungry-and-fly-for-free-take-two/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:11:16 PM by johnny847 »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!