Author Topic: removed  (Read 288003 times)

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #750 on: January 18, 2018, 09:05:15 AM »
We did the free Companion Pass for CA residents after 1 purchase offer (DH is legally a resident of CA but we live in VA), and they were very fuzzy on if he would qualify.  Good news as of last night he DID.  So now we have a free Companion pass through December, then I can sign up for the 2 card bonus and run this points churn at the end of the year.  3 free years of free flights, YES PLEASE!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #751 on: January 18, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »
this is my favorite hack to tell people about - if anyone wants to send some points my way and wants the plus card there is a referral link in my signature - beware this gets addicting.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #752 on: January 18, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on a bunch of apps.  Anyone have an opinion on whether the Chase SW cards fall under the 5/24 rule?

Also, if one has (ahem!) received the Companion pass before, how long does one have to wait, and is the time period measured from when one applied for the cards before, or when one received the miles bonus before?

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #753 on: January 18, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on a bunch of apps.  Anyone have an opinion on whether the Chase SW cards fall under the 5/24 rule?

Also, if one has (ahem!) received the Companion pass before, how long does one have to wait, and is the time period measured from when one applied for the cards before, or when one received the miles bonus before?

Yes they fall under the 5/24 rule.

What do you mean? As far as Southwest is concerned, all that matters is when the miles hit your RR account. They don't care about the cards one bit as they are managed by Chase, not Southwest. So lets say you had 110k points hit your RR account in January 2016, the Companion pass would last until Dec 31st 2017. Then you could have 110k points hit your RR account on January 1st 2018 and you'd get a new pass good until Dec 31st 2018. i.e. theoretically, if you timed it all absolutely perfectly (which is really hard to do given the impreciseness of points being sent to your RR account after your card statement date) you could never have a gap but most people see a gap of a couple weeks to make sure they don't have points apply too early.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #754 on: January 18, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »

Yes they fall under the 5/24 rule.

What do you mean? As far as Southwest is concerned, all that matters is when the miles hit your RR account. They don't care about the cards one bit as they are managed by Chase, not Southwest. So lets say you had 110k points hit your RR account in January 2016, the Companion pass would last until Dec 31st 2017. Then you could have 110k points hit your RR account on January 1st 2018 and you'd get a new pass good until Dec 31st 2018. i.e. theoretically, if you timed it all absolutely perfectly (which is really hard to do given the impreciseness of points being sent to your RR account after your card statement date) you could never have a gap but most people see a gap of a couple weeks to make sure they don't have points apply too early.

Thanks for the answer on the first part.

On the second part, I was under the impression that, in addition to the 5/24 rule, there is also a 2-year-rule on getting the 60K (or whatever it is) bonus on the SW cards specifically.  Since I got two of the Chase SW cards in about November/December of 2015 and reached the 120K miles in about January/February of 2016, if I met the 5/24 rule (which I don't, by a mile), I'd still want to be careful of the second 2-year-rule.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #755 on: January 18, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Yeah - the terms on the cards are that you cannot have received the bonus within 24 months of the new application date.

This is a non-issue for those of us for whom the "companion" is pretty constant and also has decent credit.  Just alternate who gets the cards - first person gets cards, then nearly 2 years later, 2nd person gets cards, then nearly 2 years after that, first person gets the cards again.  You've got near-continuous companion pass coverage for the 2 of you without even coming close on the "once per 24 months" thing on the bonuses.

If your companion, for example, is a minor, that 24 months on the bonuses thing becomes more of an issue.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #756 on: January 18, 2018, 04:32:49 PM »
If your companion, for example, is a minor, that 24 months on the bonuses thing becomes more of an issue.

Bingo! :-)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #757 on: January 19, 2018, 07:43:26 AM »
Yeah - the terms on the cards are that you cannot have received the bonus within 24 months of the new application date.

This is a non-issue for those of us for whom the "companion" is pretty constant and also has decent credit.  Just alternate who gets the cards - first person gets cards, then nearly 2 years later, 2nd person gets cards, then nearly 2 years after that, first person gets the cards again.  You've got near-continuous companion pass coverage for the 2 of you without even coming close on the "once per 24 months" thing on the bonuses.

Only issue is if/when the bonuses drop to 40k.  Need at least 50k bonuses to make it work, imo.  Thankfully, I jumped on the 60k (!!) offers this fall.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #758 on: January 19, 2018, 07:47:05 AM »

Only issue is if/when the bonuses drop to 40k.  Need at least 50k bonuses to make it work, imo.  Thankfully, I jumped on the 60k (!!) offers this fall.
I noticed they're at 50K (60K for business) right now - wonder if the 60K experiment last year will prove to be a one-off.  Agree it is easier to get the $10K spend than $30K, although that's not completely outside the realm of possibility with MS techniques.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #759 on: January 22, 2018, 04:40:06 PM »
I swear this is the best deal in the galaxy. Got the companion pass doing this a couple of years ago. We went all over the place using my points and the pass. To NYC twice to see shows, to Boston, to Colorado, to Washington State, to the left coast again on our way to Asia, to freaking Disney World with the kids. How awesome is that?!

Now my SO just got both cards! Whoo hoo! Two more years, baby, two more years. I'm going to push harder for the islands or Costa Rica this time. Then it will be my turn again to get the cards (if they still have this awesome deal).

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #760 on: January 23, 2018, 05:41:59 AM »
@Zamboni — Looks like Hawaii is also in the works as a SW destination! So many options for great travel!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #761 on: January 23, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »
Looks like I goofed up big time.

I applied for the cards in October, one with my company (60k miles)  and one personal(50k).

The company card billed on the 25th of the month, first bill in 10/25/2017 and the third on 12/25/2017. So, I get my 60k on Dec 25th, instead of January 2018 as I was planning. Spoke to chase and they did not change it.

The personal card should give me 50k miles in Jan.

Is there anything else I can do? Any ideas?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #762 on: January 23, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »
Did the miles actually post on 12/25?  Why are you just discovering this now?

Generally, they won't change it once the miles have gone over.

You still have 110000 miles, so that's like $1500 worth of airfare.  or you could manufacture the remaining 60K for this year.  That is a lot of spend though - might want to talk to your bank in advance, or come up with a way other than "buy visa giftcards, then buy money orders at walmart".

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #763 on: January 24, 2018, 07:11:30 AM »
OMG Hawaii! I forgot they just started flying to Hawaii!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #764 on: January 24, 2018, 07:14:38 AM »
OMG Hawaii! I forgot they just started flying to Hawaii!
Well - in the works for later this year.  Last flight we took, the flight attendant said something about being a Honolulu based flight crew, although probably a joke.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #765 on: January 24, 2018, 07:37:13 AM »
@CowboyAndIndian — you can try applying for the other personal card, if you qualify. When were the actual southwest points awarded? In 2017? It’s odd that they hit your account so quickly after the 25th even with the holidays. If you can’t apply for the other SW card, you can try to manufacture spend or, worst case, purchase miles on a sale. Even without the CP, you still have a ton of miles. You can convert them 1:1 to Amazon and basically cover your household purchases for a while, for free.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #766 on: January 24, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »
@CowboyAndIndian — you can try applying for the other personal card, if you qualify. When were the actual southwest points awarded? In 2017? It’s odd that they hit your account so quickly after the 25th even with the holidays. If you can’t apply for the other SW card, you can try to manufacture spend or, worst case, purchase miles on a sale. Even without the CP, you still have a ton of miles. You can convert them 1:1 to Amazon and basically cover your household purchases for a while, for free.

Thanks, @lexde.

I can still apply for another card, I guess. This is definitely an option.

It was odd that they immediately put the miles on my account. Called chase, but they refused to do anything.

How do I convert them to Amazon?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #767 on: January 24, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »

Thanks, @lexde.

I can still apply for another card, I guess. This is definitely an option.

It was odd that they immediately put the miles on my account. Called chase, but they refused to do anything.

How do I convert them to Amazon?

Here’s an article with some info. Be sure you redeem in $50.00 increments for 1:1 value.

http://www.thetruthaboutcreditcards.com/get-600-in-amazon-gift-cards-with-the-southwest-credit-card/

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: January 26, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
My points for my January statement didn't post until almost three weeks after my statement date, but when they did post, they were backdated to the statement date.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #769 on: January 29, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
Points posted (1-3 days after statement closed), companion added, flight to Belize for spring break booked with wife :-)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #770 on: January 30, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
That sounds fun! You timed it perfectly.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #771 on: February 04, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
Points posted today. Companion pass earned. Booked our first flights to meet up with SO's road trippin' grandparents while they are in New Mexico knocking things off their bucket list. They were going to swing through Taos to see the Earthships we are so fond of. They wanted to see what all the fuss was about. We told them how about we just fly out and stay in one with you? Total flight cost = $22.40. Experiencing Earthships with our Midwestern grandparents = priceless.

Thanks all! What a treat spending these points is going to be :)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #772 on: February 04, 2018, 02:16:12 PM »
Looks like 60,000 transferred in 2017 and 60,000 are in the process of transferring now (2/2/18 but haven't yet shown up in my Southwest Rapid Rewards account).

Does that mean when I book the companion pass, it will only be good for this year if the first 60,000 showed up in 2017?

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #773 on: February 04, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
Looks like 60,000 transferred in 2017 and 60,000 are in the process of transferring now (2/2/18 but haven't yet shown up in my Southwest Rapid Rewards account).

Does that mean when I book the companion pass, it will only be good for this year if the first 60,000 showed up in 2017?

Unfortunately that means you won't get the companion pass. Unless you earn another 40,000 points this year. It has to be 100k in the same calendar year.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #774 on: February 04, 2018, 08:25:40 PM »
Points posted today as well.  Time to figure out our first destination!

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #775 on: February 10, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »
We got our 120k and our first companion pass too! Too many places to go now and not enough vacation time. I am a little disappointed that the full 2018 calendar isn't up yet for SW as we would like to book our fall trips before hotels book up for our dates. Is anyone else using the Hyatt card too for the all inclusive resorts?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #776 on: February 12, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »
nara -

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/index.html

On February 15, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through October 1, 2018. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

AK

• Stubble
Received the pass in February by getting the business premier 60K bonus and the personal plus 50K bonus. Met the business min spend by prepaying my CPA. Met the plus min spend through gift of college gift cards to make extra student loan payments.

My biggest challenge now is trying to convince my wife that we can travel with a toddler and baby.

medinaj2160

• Stubble
I apply for the business and the personal credit card and just go them.

Do I have to open a Southwest Rapid Rewards account to see my points? Do I have to link my chase accounts to the Southwest Rapid Rewards accounts? Or does that happens automatically?

Thanks.

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
Yes, you should open a Southwest Rapid Rewards account first and then put that number in when you apply for the credit cards. Otherwise they will probably just assign you one and you would have to make sure that it was the same one for both.

@AK : Since my son was born 3 years ago, we've only flown Southwest for domestic flights and we love love love Southwest for family flying - free checked bags to accommodate all the baby junk, family boarding before the B group, no change fees, friendly attendants, etc. Plus with their style of boarding, when my son was under 2, even when he was a lap child, most of the time if there was any room on the flight the attendants were usually fine with us bringing the carseat on board so he would get his own seat without us paying for it and he could nap while we watched free TV. Just ask when you check in (or at the gate if you don't like the first answer). We've flown at least 30 times with him and it is totally doable!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
Yes, you should open a Southwest Rapid Rewards account first and then put that number in when you apply for the credit cards. Otherwise they will probably just assign you one and you would have to make sure that it was the same one for both.

I forgot to do this and they asked me if I want to merge both accounts.

Easy peasy.

AK

• Stubble

@AK : Since my son was born 3 years ago, we've only flown Southwest for domestic flights and we love love love Southwest for family flying - free checked bags to accommodate all the baby junk, family boarding before the B group, no change fees, friendly attendants, etc. Plus with their style of boarding, when my son was under 2, even when he was a lap child, most of the time if there was any room on the flight the attendants were usually fine with us bringing the carseat on board so he would get his own seat without us paying for it and he could nap while we watched free TV. Just ask when you check in (or at the gate if you don't like the first answer). We've flown at least 30 times with him and it is totally doable!

Passed your feedback along and she said well we have two kids. Overall, she makes do but would rather not travel with young ones if it can be avoided. As always, thanks for your feedback and everyone else's too!

charis

• Magnum Stache
This might not be the best place to post this, but we've been denied the Chase SW card due to having two many accounts open in the past two years.  We've been churning pretty steadily for the past 3 years and Chase has us locked out apparently.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Or can you advise about how long to wait before applying again.  I'm asking because if we have to wait a full two years, I won't bother with Southwest.  If it's a matter of months, we'll definitely wait because we want the companion pass?  Any advice?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
This might not be the best place to post this, but we've been denied the Chase SW card due to having two many accounts open in the past two years.  We've been churning pretty steadily for the past 3 years and Chase has us locked out apparently.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Or can you advise about how long to wait before applying again.  I'm asking because if we have to wait a full two years, I won't bother with Southwest.  If it's a matter of months, we'll definitely wait because we want the companion pass?  Any advice?

It's a 5/24 rule, so if you've applied for (or received?) five new cards in the past 24 months, including non-Chase credit cards, you will get declined.  For churners, it effectively means you have to choose between (1) Chase or (2) everyone else.

Personally I've gone with choice 2.  To augment this I've tried applying for some of the Chase cards that were listed as not being affected by the 5/24 rule, but was still unsuccessful, probably for other reasons such as too many inquiries overall or enough credit with Chase already.

Since you mentioned "we", one strategy you can employ is have one person do all the other apps and then the other person do the Chase apps every 2 years.  One person should be able to get two Chase SW cards every two years and thus maintain the SW companion pass deal indefinitely.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
I was under 5/24 when I applied for both, and they declined one of them and specifically said it was because I had applied to too many Chase cards (I had gotten CSR earlier in the year). They seem to be tightening up their requirements above and beyond 5/24.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
I was under 5/24 when I applied for both, and they declined one of them and specifically said it was because I had applied to too many Chase cards (I had gotten CSR earlier in the year). They seem to be tightening up their requirements above and beyond 5/24.

Right.  The way I would say it is that Chase has multiple rules for which they will decline you.  If you fail any one of the rules, you'll get declined.  One is 5/24.  They have another one about CSR and similar cards; I don't recall offhand what it is but you can google it.  They, and most other CC companies, will only extend you a certain percentage of your reported income, so if you hit that and still want a card you'll have to move some existing CL from another Chase card.  Obviously if you have bad credit they'll turn you down for that.  There are probably other rules.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache

Right.  The way I would say it is that Chase has multiple rules for which they will decline you.  If you fail any one of the rules, you'll get declined.  One is 5/24.  They have another one about CSR and similar cards; I don't recall offhand what it is but you can google it.  They, and most other CC companies, will only extend you a certain percentage of your reported income, so if you hit that and still want a card you'll have to move some existing CL from another Chase card.  Obviously if you have bad credit they'll turn you down for that.  There are probably other rules.

^This.

I applied for CSP no problem in July 2017.  Then I went for the double dip on the Chase SW cards at 60k and had to haggle with their customer service reps - eventually got them to reduce the credit limit on one of my cards and moved CL over to the new SW card.  I also forgot to include entire household income which you are legally allowed to use.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
chase is by far the toughest bank to get cards with thats why i dont even really bother trying to keep my signups under 5/24 the other cards i can get are more valuable than what i'd get waiting 2 years to signup for some chase cards.

charis

• Magnum Stache
I'll be under 5 new cards by the end of July, according to my records, so I should be able to hold out for the SW card until then. 

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
chase is by far the toughest bank to get cards with thats why i dont even really bother trying to keep my signups under 5/24 the other cards i can get are more valuable than what i'd get waiting 2 years to signup for some chase cards.

I got 120K SW miles + BOGO for the Companion pass.  So essentially 240K miles for $4k spending in 3 months.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
We just completed our first $11 for two flights (3500 pts).  cost of cards covered..., 120k more pts to use w/ free companion 🤗

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
Points posted (1-3 days after statement closed), companion added, flight to Belize for spring break booked with wife :-)

Just got back from 8 days in Belize. Got scuba certified over the first 4 days and then went into the jungle to see some Mayan ruins and the ATM cave (which was really cool).

The question is, where to next? I've got ~80,000 SW points left with companion pass, ~40,000 American miles, and ~60,000 Chase rewards points I can apply to either (but probably are going towards Southwest because of the companion pass. Rumor has it SW is going to start flying to Hawaii soon. I just picked up an Ikon ski pass for next year, maybe I just plan a whole bunch of ski vacations?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-southwest-cards-limit-of-one-personal-card/

Is this the end?

it’s important to note you’d be able to still get one personal and one business.

Looks like no :-) Just get a business card.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-chase-will-launch-premium-southwest-card/

Some vagueness from DoC on a new card coming from SW.

Toad

• Bristles
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-southwest-cards-limit-of-one-personal-card/

Is this the end?

it’s important to note you’d be able to still get one personal and one business.

Looks like no :-) Just get a business card.

+1
I just applied for and got approved for a personal (with 50k bonus) and business (with 60k bonus) card.  So the personal + business option is still viable.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
It is not the right time of year to do this, obviously, as you want the bonus points to post in January or February, but here is a new card that I thought I'd pass along:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/65KDual?CELL=6PLV&clk=1881000

65K bonus for this card (full bonus requires $1K + $15K spend) + 60K bonus for the business card gets you a companion pass.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
It is not the right time of year to do this, obviously, as you want the bonus points to post in January or February, but here is a new card that I thought I'd pass along:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/65KDual?CELL=6PLV&clk=1881000

65K bonus for this card (full bonus requires $1K + $15K spend) + 60K bonus for the business card gets you a companion pass.

We got this offer today too.  I really want to apply for it but it is the wrong time of the year to take full advantage of it.  I am guess SW did that on purpose,grr.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
sadly

The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapids Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #799 on: January 18, 2019, 07:55:00 AM »
It looks like Southwest has recognized that the Companion Pass is what people really want so they're now offering a bonus of Companion Pass for the remainder of the year + 30,000 points on the Rapid Rewards Plus credit card. Certainly not as valuable as picking up a Companion Pass with two cards and collecting over 100k points in the process, but and nice option for someone that may already have a ton of RR points and is looking for a new Companion Pass option to make those points go farther. Though I'm wonderinf if the fact that they're now including the CP for rest of the year means they're circumventing the old, default process whereby you received the CP for the remainder of the current year and all of the following year.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!