Author Topic: removed  (Read 287995 times)

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
I just booked a flight to San Jose, Costa for wifey and I. Total of 31,820 points, plus $80 in taxes for my ticket and $80 more for her companion pass flight taxes.

The flights are valued at $1120. We paid $160 in taxes, thus netted $960 in dollar value. Saweeeeet.

jbjr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Took a look through at this deal today and it looks like the personal cards are back down to 25k as a bonus. Business cards are at 50k but i dont own a small business. Any idea if there an updated link to the 50k deal available?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
Took a look through at this deal today and it looks like the personal cards are back down to 25k as a bonus. Business cards are at 50k but i dont own a small business. Any idea if there an updated link to the 50k deal available?

It doesn't matter the you don't own a small business. Neither do I, and I have a business card. Many of us don't. Apply for it anyway, use your Social Security Number as your business number, and you'll likely be accepted for the card.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Got the Companion notice today - good until Dec 2017!  Woohoo.  Transferred points from Marriott Friday and they arrive today.  I already cancelled my daughters flight and added her back on as a companion for our trip in May. pretty sweet.

BigRed

• Stubble
Finally got my application approved for the 50k Plus card.  Should be able to get to a companion pass by May...

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Finally got my application approved for the 50k Plus card.  Should be able to get to a companion pass by May...
Where'd you get a link for the 50K Plus card?  Our companion pass is up this year, and so I'd like my wife to be applying for Premier and Plus cards so we can get set up for 2017/18.

krak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Does anyone have a referral code for the 50k plus card promo they can give me?

Edit: Never mind, was able to find one through Google. I've been approved for both the Preimier and Plus 50k bonus point rewards. Free (almost) flying, here I come!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:51:01 PM by krak »

BigRed

• Stubble
I google 50,000 Southwest Plus card offer, and ended up at http://www.uscreditcardguide.com/en/

I then posted there to ask for a referral, then someone emailed me a phone number and their Southwest RR number.  I then called and applied.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
I google 50,000 Southwest Plus card offer, and ended up at http://www.uscreditcardguide.com/en/

I then posted there to ask for a referral, then someone emailed me a phone number and their Southwest RR number.  I then called and applied.

This is what I did a while back (but on flyertalk forums) and I was fairly wary of this. I mean, how do I know that the phone number given to call is a legitimate Chase number, and not some scam set up to collect my SSN?

I still did it anyways, because I was greedy and this flyertalk user that sent me the referral had a high post count (so probably not a scammer, but you never really know). It all worked out in the end---it was a legit phone number and I got my 50k signup bonus from it---but I still think this is worth pointing out.

Off topic, are you a Cornell alum?

BigRed

• Stubble

This is what I did a while back (but on flyertalk forums) and I was fairly wary of this. I mean, how do I know that the phone number given to call is a legitimate Chase number, and not some scam set up to collect my SSN?

I still did it anyways, because I was greedy and this flyertalk user that sent me the referral had a high post count (so probably not a scammer, but you never really know). It all worked out in the end---it was a legit phone number and I got my 50k signup bonus from it---but I still think this is worth pointing out.

Yes, I felt the same way.  I actually posted in a couple different places to make sure that I got the same phone number from different people

Also, yes, Cornell Alum. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog

Yes, I felt the same way.  I actually posted in a couple different places to make sure that I got the same phone number from different people

Also, yes, Cornell Alum.

Haha I didn't think of that. That's a good one to lower the chance of falling victim to a scam.

BigRed

• Stubble
It is, admittedly, a tad rude, since only one of the people who responds to you gets the referral bonus.  Also, why the heck is Chase/Southwest encouraging people to practice stupid behavior?

BigRed

• Stubble
I don't know how you get referrals to give out.  Or if just supplying the number and your Southwest RR is all you need to do.  Very mysterious.

Now, I need to figure out how to quickly get the other 6,000 points after hitting the sign up bonuses.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
It is, admittedly, a tad rude, since only one of the people who responds to you gets the referral bonus.  Also, why the heck is Chase/Southwest encouraging people to practice stupid behavior?

True. I'd be okay with other people doing that to me though if I was the one handing out referrals, but only because I understand the security risks. I wouldn't expect others to think about that though.

I don't know how you get referrals to give out.  Or if just supplying the number and your Southwest RR is all you need to do.  Very mysterious.

Now, I need to figure out how to quickly get the other 6,000 points after hitting the sign up bonuses.

A quick way is to just spend $6k on your Southwest cc. You could send $6k to a buddy with a service such as Square Cash for a 3% fee.
Of course, while this is quick, this is certainly not cheap.

Back in the days when Amex didn't really care about what you did with your Amex Serve, I would've suggested that. Well, maybe I still do if you haven't been shut down already. .Because you just need the $6k before they shut you down, and they seem to batch process shutdowns every couple months.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal

For us, when we log into our Chase account, there is a little information bubble at the top of the page that told us we could get referral bonuses for friends who sign up for the card. Clicking the link would take us to a page where we could input email addresses and Chase would send a referral link. We only had the option to send Premier card links. I just checked today, and the option is gone, so I am guessing they only show up for a limited time.

jorjor

• Bristles

We converted some Chase points to Hyatt, and then to Southwest. You can't count Chase --> SW, but you can count Hyatt --> SW. The conversion factor isn't one-to-one, but Hyatt was a better conversion than the other options we looked at.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Speak of the devil... I got an email to share invites for the 50,000 bonus points offer today... anyone need an invite? :D ;)

While I don't need one, you should specify for which card. The Plus is the one people seek out the most, as that doesn't seem to be available without a referral.

BrendanJ45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have a full slate of invites for 50,000 point bonus for premier. 2k spend in 3 months for bonus.

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FHV5&CELL=600F&MSC=1524330936

Thank you,
Brendan
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:33:31 PM by BrendanJ45 »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
The good news: I've earned the companion pass!

The bad news: I don't have a companion to regularly fly with (ie, girlfriend).

Why'd I get the pass? Because I wanted to complete the "challenge."
I'm glad I did it though because Chase's 5/24 rules are coming into effect soon and I definitely have exceeded 5/24.

apdale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
If anyone is looking for the Premeir card 50,000 point bonus offers here is my referral link.  The typical 2k spend in 3 months.  There is also a call-in option if you prefer to apply that way, PM me if you prefer that option and I can send you the info..  I will receive 5000 for the referral.

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=FHTY&CELL=600D&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01&MSC=1528931420

Thanks! 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:09:04 AM by apdale »

ohmylookatthat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
seems like the platinum is back. 80k

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
seems like the platinum is back. 80k

Wrong thread?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Anyone ever have luck with asking them to waive the annual fee?  I keep meaning to cancel this sucker but I always forget (anti mustachian I know). 

For a while they were having amazing deals every November- 20% off amazon gift cards for example (4k points for $50 gift cards) so it was worth keeping the "other rewards" ability.   But I've been flying a LOT less and can't justify paying the annual fee anymore.  At worst I should churn and get the premier.

jorjor

• Bristles
I just need to gush about how awesome having the CP has been.

Use #1: Both my wife and I had a busy, rough month of work. Wife wanted to get away (Southwest literally has a fare class for that!). She wanted to visit her sister in Sacramento since we haven't seen them or the niece/nephew in a while. This was a somewhat pricey trip (about 20k points) but no way would we have done it without that.

Use #2: Wife is an event planner, meaning sometimes travel companies come in and give presentations. Air Emirates came in last year, and raffled off two round trip tickets to Dubai. She won. We ended up going last week (it was awesome!) but had to get to Dallas, Houston, JFK, or LAX. No problem. CP and about 6k points + $22 to the rescue! That means we went round trip to Dubai for essentially the cost of taxes & fees (about $250 total between both airlines) and a few SW points. (And the Air Emirates flight to Dubai ended up being upgraded to Business Class both ways. Lay flat seats, and good food and wine for a 14 hour flight? Yes please.)

Use #3: My mom turns 50 next week. I randomly check flight prices today and they are pretty cheap! I decide to go. Wife says "You want me to come too?" Actually, yes I do! 11k points and $22 later, and we're all booked.

I've been booking work travel on SW to build up points whenever I can. We already have at least one trip that I have to take for work to a city we like (Portland) so she'll just come along too. We've used it three times, have about 80k points left (plus over 100k that we can transfer from Chase if it comes to it) and plenty of work trips that will build up the points.

What was I doing paying for two flights to get everywhere the last two years?!?!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:34:48 PM by jorjor »

DirtDiva

• Bristles
Anyone ever have luck with asking them to waive the annual fee?  I keep meaning to cancel this sucker but I always forget (anti mustachian I know). 

I called to cancel a few days after being charged the annual fee and they gave me $100 credit for the $95 annual fee...so I have the card for one more year. 

Unicorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Hi folks,

I've got the personal Premier card and I've cleared the $2,000 spending threshold. All good so far. But when I applied for the business card I was denied for "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us." Background: we have superb credit and the only recent credit inquiry or approval would have come about 2 months ago from our application for the first card. Any ideas on what went wrong here or what could be done to get approved for the 2nd card?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

Hi folks,

I've got the personal Premier card and I've cleared the $2,000 spending threshold. All good so far. But when I applied for the business card I was denied for "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us." Background: we have superb credit and the only recent credit inquiry or approval would have come about 2 months ago from our application for the first card. Any ideas on what went wrong here or what could be done to get approved for the 2nd card?

No other applications with any other credit card companies?  Chase tracks that (all applications, not just with them).

If so, call them and see.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
We just got the companion pass last week. Hoping it's as useful for us as it has been for others.

For those interested in the 50K SW PLUS referral, I just got an email this morning saying I have them available. Send me a message with your email address and I will send you a link.

BrendanJ45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've saved about 2k from the companion pass just from the benefits for my fiancee (not to mention about another 2k in flights for myself). I fly cross country to visit my family about twice a year and other various trips.

I have referrals available for Southwest Plus and Premier cards (50k points for 2k spend in 3 months). PM me if you want a link. Cheers.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
Also have 10 plus card referrals available - PM your email and I'll be glad to send you one!

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
FYI -both my Chase Southwest cards were hacked in the last week. Both now shut down, of course.  I know they were both hacked, instead of simply palmed and copied at a restaurant or something, because I hadn't used my Premier card since I got the 50K bonus in December. It wasn't even in my wallet.

Anyone else with similar experiences lately?

jorjor

• Bristles
FYI -both my Chase Southwest cards were hacked in the last week. Both now shut down, of course.  I know they were both hacked, instead of simply palmed and copied at a restaurant or something, because I hadn't used my Premier card since I got the 50K bonus in December. It wasn't even in my wallet.

Anyone else with similar experiences lately?

My Plus card was "swiped" at a Square halfway across the country within a week of getting it a few months back. I had only used it once. No problems since then, though.

BrendanJ45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I got an email for 10 invites for Plus and Premier. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
Wifey and I just returned from Costa Rica. Cost 33k points all told, and wifey flew for free as my companion. It was awesome, and having flown for free all year so far, we still have 52k points to go.

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
Wifey and I just returned from Costa Rica. Cost 33k points all told, and wifey flew for free as my companion. It was awesome, and having flown for free all year so far, we still have 52k points to go.

how do you find avaliable flights? I've been looking at the hubs in central america and the islands near florida like jamaica, Nassau etc but I always get this message:

Flights from Charleston - CHS to San Juan - SJU are not scheduled to operate on 11/01/2016. Please select an alternate date or choose another origination/destination. Please visit the Southwest Airlines interactive route map for alternate choices. (SW100104-ARjP6x7qQF2GVVwCM6eykg)

I've changed the dates and even destinations just to get an idea of how much it would cost points wise and the dates avalible but I don't know how else to search. I'm using the interactive map right now.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
Try the flight schedule on southwest - CHS to SJU appears to only fly on Saturdays.  Many more options for the reverse - must be a quirk in the schedule. 

You could also try and "construct" a flight - book multiple flights to get there.

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/results.html?departureDate=2016-11-06&destinationAirportCode=SJU&originationAirportCode=CHS&scheduleViewType=weekly&timeOfDay=ALL_DAY

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
Actually, might just be that week - more flights available after 11-6, it appears.

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
Try the flight schedule on southwest - CHS to SJU appears to only fly on Saturdays.  Many more options for the reverse - must be a quirk in the schedule. 

You could also try and "construct" a flight - book multiple flights to get there.

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/results.html?departureDate=2016-11-06&destinationAirportCode=SJU&originationAirportCode=CHS&scheduleViewType=weekly&timeOfDay=ALL_DAY

oh shoot, that is awesome. I didn't know how to find that page. thanks for the link

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
I also find the route map helpful - particularly with the "Nonstop Only" option checked.

Can narrow your search - if there is a direct flight, for example from Orlando to San Juan, you can search that and get a feel for how often Southwest planes even land at your destination - some places might have just 1 flight per day, some have many, many options.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html?clk=GSUBNAV-AIR-ROUTEMAP

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
Question: Could I sign up for the southwest 50K bonus points and then transfer over 60K points I just churned from my Chase Sapphire to obtain the Southwest companion status? It says specifically I can transfer chase to southwest 1 for 1 but didn't know if the points would count to companion pass. Thanks!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
I don't think so.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=rapid_rewards_program_terms_and_conditions

Points purchased for personal use or as a gift, transferred points, points earned from program enrollment, Tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and Partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass Qualifying Points.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Canceled mine and they didn't put up a fight.  They will refund the annual fee if you cancel up to 180(!) days after its charged (get your own record of them saying that)

jorjor

• Bristles
Question: Could I sign up for the southwest 50K bonus points and then transfer over 60K points I just churned from my Chase Sapphire to obtain the Southwest companion status? It says specifically I can transfer chase to southwest 1 for 1 but didn't know if the points would count to companion pass. Thanks!

No. Chase points can be transferred 1-to-1 to use for booking flights, but they do not count towards the CP.

Points transferred from other partners do count though, so you can transfer Chase to another partner like Hyatt or Marriott though and then transfer into Southwest and they will count. Chase to the hotel partners is 1-to-1, but the hotel partners to Southwest is not 1-to-1. 50,000 Hyatt points gets you something like 30,000 Southwest points after a bonus so if you were to do this you would need...many more miles.

moneysaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #443 on: August 07, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »
I earned the companion pass in February and have already taken/booked a few trips.  2 flights from Denver to Dallas, 1 flight to Puerto Vallarta and 1 flight to Cancun all while having someone fly free.  I have already changed my companion twice and it was very easy!  This is one of the most valuable bits of wisdom I have learned from MMM.

BrendanJ45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #444 on: August 08, 2016, 12:49:04 AM »
Some ways to ear additional SW Rapid Rewards Points towards pass or otherwise:
1) Rapid Rewards portal: earn 1-6x points/$ on your spendypants online purchases (I got 6x on a dell laptop during back to school)
2) Rapid Rewards Dining Club" earn 3x/$ points at select restaurants and I got an additional 1000 points for first dine
3) 5000 points per referral

I have 50k Southwest Plus if anyone still needs for this year.
Plus Link if needed: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FHTS&CELL=600F&MSC=1524333410
Premiere Link (50k bonus as normal but I like free stuff :) ): https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FHV5&CELL=600F&MSC=1524330936

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #445 on: August 08, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »
Is there any point in attempting to start this process so late it the year, since the CP would only be good for a month or two this year and next?  How frequently are the 50k points available?  If I wait til Nov/Dec to apply to earn points in early 2017, will there even be an offer?  I'd love to have the CP in 2017/2018, since I know we'll be travelling for a few things for sure in 2018.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #446 on: August 08, 2016, 03:59:06 PM »
Is there any point in attempting to start this process so late it the year, since the CP would only be good for a month or two this year and next?  How frequently are the 50k points available?  If I wait til Nov/Dec to apply to earn points in early 2017, will there even be an offer?  I'd love to have the CP in 2017/2018, since I know we'll be travelling for a few things for sure in 2018.

The Southwest cards go up to 50k on a somewhat regular basis. Unless you have a lot of trips planned this year I'd probably wait until the end of the year. And you don't necessarily need the offers to come up in Nov/Dec - Jan/Feb 2017 will work too (unless you've got some early 2017 travel planned).

Just keep in mind that Chase now has a "5/24" rule, which affects some cards including their Southwest cards: if you've opened 5 or more cards in the last 24 months (from any bank, not just Chase), you are pretty much guaranteed to be denied, without any reconsideration. I think there's some wiggle room if you were specifically targeted for the card, but that's about it.

So if you're already over 5/24, well, you're SOL. If you're 3/24 or under to be able to get two Southwest cards, then you should plan on remaining 3/24 through the rest of the year to be able to get two Southwest cards. If you're 4/24, well, you're probably SOL unless you've got some plan to source 58k Southwest points some other way.

BrendanJ45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #447 on: August 08, 2016, 05:05:03 PM »

Even if there isn't a public 50k offer for the plus card, you can still get a referral for 50k in my experience. Wait until Dec imo, just make sure that your bonuses don't post until 2017.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:08:11 PM by BrendanJ45 »

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #448 on: August 09, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »
Following, trying to learn about this point collection/cc churning stuff.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #449 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »
For those looking to try and obtain the Companion Pass in January 2016, we just got emails from Southwest yesterday indicating we have new 50K point referrals available for both the PLUS card and the PREMIER card. I don't know how long a referral is good for, but I would guess at least 30 days?

If you'd like a referral for either card, you can PM me your email address. I will send the referrals in the first week of September. If the referral code is good for 30 days, it will allow you to sign up for the card in early October. This will give you October to December to meet the minimum spending requirement, with the last statement closing in January 2017. So long as you don't meet the minimum spend before December (which would post the bonus points in December), the bonus points will post in January, maximizing your companion pass time.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!