Author Topic: Fixed my van remote!!  (Read 789 times)

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fixed my van remote!!
« on: January 04, 2023, 11:04:23 AM »
My van remote kept opening the doors on it's own. Or if you'd shake it. Thought it might be the battery, so I looked up changing it. Nope, didn't fix it. $300 for a new replacement key. Screw that...

Looked up on YouTube and learned that the contacts between the rubber membrane and control board get loose. You can buy a replacement key fob without the board for $11 on Amazon.

Then found I had all the contacts still, so with tweezers, I was able to gorilla glue them back for .12.

Works like new, and I replaced the battery proactively, so I shouldn't have to do it again for the life of the van.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Fixed my van remote!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 09:13:57 AM »
Congrats! Very cleaver of you!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 09:19:51 AM »
$11 would have worthy of praise, doing it for less than loose change, high level of badassity. Awesome!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 08:50:44 AM »
What type of vehicle / key fob do you have?

We have an odyssey with 2 fancy key fobs that don't work any more. The battery on mine is dead. Dh somehow bent or torqued his and it sits askew. I am wondering if your solution would work for either of ours.

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 07:45:57 AM »
Town and Country, but they're all the same. Easy enough to pop them open with a small screwdriver and replace the battery.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 11:36:54 AM »
I looked up a bunch of products and youtube videos, it appears the key is molded into the key fob casing on my model. So buying a new casing means having to go get a key cut. So I ordered some batteries, and 1 rubber key fob cover which appears to be enough to hold slightly loosening key fobs such as mine. Really wish the plastic covers could have been replaced without having to cut a new key!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!