Author Topic: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer  (Read 155993 times)

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #800 on: November 14, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
The two personal cards are 40k miles for $1k in spending.  The biz card is 60k miles for $3k spending.  Spending on all cards required is 3 months (roughly 115 days if you SM Chase).

I'm about to drop $3.3k on one purchase, and another 2k on another purchase, both purchases in the last week of December or first week of January, so I want to do this efficiently. I could definitely sign up for the business card, and get the first 60k, then a personal card at 40k, and after spending I'd be around 106k points. That would put me a few months from the companion pass, but we're still trying to use the rest of my wife's points we've cycled through.

Any better alternative than the option I just listed?
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

DarkandStormy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #801 on: November 14, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
The two personal cards are 40k miles for $1k in spending.  The biz card is 60k miles for $3k spending.  Spending on all cards required is 3 months (roughly 115 days if you SM Chase).

I'm about to drop $3.3k on one purchase, and another 2k on another purchase, both purchases in the last week of December or first week of January, so I want to do this efficiently. I could definitely sign up for the business card, and get the first 60k, then a personal card at 40k, and after spending I'd be around 106k points. That would put me a few months from the companion pass, but we're still trying to use the rest of my wife's points we've cycled through.

I think your best bet is signup for the biz card now and make sure you don't hit the minimum required until AFTER your December statement.  Then yeah, you could also open up one of the personal ones and put the other spend on that card.

If you wanted to wait to see if the Premier jumps back up to 50k you could, but it sounds like you'll be close enough with the current offers that you wouldn't need much spend in January to hit the 110K needed.
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Southwest Cards - Earn 40k miles for $1k spend in 3 months.
Premier -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/JY2BMSDZJ2
Plus -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/F3ZW8H140N

Recommended Cell Service - Google's Project Fi: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #802 on: November 15, 2017, 11:07:38 PM »

I think your best bet is signup for the biz card now and make sure you don't hit the minimum required until AFTER your December statement.  Then yeah, you could also open up one of the personal ones and put the other spend on that card.

If you wanted to wait to see if the Premier jumps back up to 50k you could, but it sounds like you'll be close enough with the current offers that you wouldn't need much spend in January to hit the 110K needed.
Unless you live in CA, then you can go for the 1 year pass deal for 50k.
All posts are opinions of the author subject to independent verification by the reader.  No representations of fact are asserted regarding commercial products or services.

Pizzasteve prefers to avoid excessive critical debates.  In the event of a post, no need to reply or quote if you disagree. I am posting information meant to stand on its own and hope to avoid back and forth debating.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #803 on: November 20, 2017, 11:10:58 PM »

Well, we'll have to see how this goes. I applied for the Business Card and got the,

"Thank you for your request.
We need to review your request a little longer. We will let you know of our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days.
Thank you for choosing Southwest Rapid RewardsŪ Premier Business Credit Card from Chase."

Time will tell.
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #804 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:50 PM »
Just got the same response for the Southwest Premier Card as well... Going to have to call in the morning.

Homeskillet40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #805 on: December 07, 2017, 09:55:10 AM »
Here's a link for the Premier SW card.  Looks like it's at 40,000 bonus points right now but better than nothing!  If you book a hotel stay or two through southwest or rocket miles you can make up the 10,000-20,000 difference from the sign up bonuses to the companion pass.  If nothing else that's 400$ of free travel.

https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/DPWVQZ3Z6B

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #806 on: December 07, 2017, 12:04:19 PM »
Got approved for the business and the Premier Card.

Now a fine balance to make the spends close to $2k/$3k by end of year so that I can go over the top in January.

Thanks for all the ideas.
FYI you might want to stay closer to 50% of minimum spend until January since they have been awarding point bonuses early if you're just a few hundred off

Thanks Lexde. That would be horrible, losing almost a year of companion pass.

Yikes, forgot about it and I am within $100 of the limits. Hoping Chase/SW are not feeling generous and give me the point bonus early.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #807 on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »
Yikes, forgot about it and I am within $100 of the limits. Hoping Chase/SW are not feeling generous and give me the point bonus early.

I did the same thing accidentally, my annual fee actually put me over the limit even, but supposedly the annual fee doesn't count towards the total so fingers crossed they don't start feeling generous!
We live in an RV full time while still working remotely. Check it out at http://therecklesschoice.com

Rubyvroom

• Stubble
« Reply #808 on: December 13, 2017, 07:38:24 PM »
I was approved for both Premier and Plus rapid rewards cards back in mid-October, when the bonuses were still 60,000 per card. I've spent to within $250 of the $2,000 on one card and once I put car insurance on the other (late December), I'm within $150 on the other. Today I received the following email:

It appears that you may have multiple Rapid RewardsŪ accounts with past activity. We wanted to make you aware of this so that you can link your accounts and be recognized for all of the points you have earned.

When your accounts are merged, all of your Rapid Rewards Points will reside in one account, making it easy for you to manage your Rapid Rewards activity. It will also ensure that all of your points count toward your reward travel and tier status.

To merge your Rapid Rewards accounts, simply click the link below to access a list of your accounts. Please do not share this link with anyone, as it is personalized for you. From the list, you will select the accounts you would like to merge and validate that the account is yours. You will also have the option to declare that an account is not yours.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and participation in the Rapid Rewards Program.

Sooooo... what the heck is this merge they are talking about? Are they on to us? I confirmed through SM that I have until 1/27/18 to spend the $2,000 on each card, and I don't plan on putting the last charges on either card to reach $2K spending until the month of January. Being new to this whole program I'm just curious if this is their way of trying to get someone to forfeit their companion pass by combining the expenditures in both accounts so you are awarded one 60,000 bonus immediately (in 2017) and the other whenever you cross the $4,000 threshold (either 2017, thus shaving a full year off companion pass, or 2018, not awarding the companion pass at all). Either way, I don't think I'll touch that link until at least February after the points have posted... I just thought I'd throw it out here for discussion since others may have gotten the same message.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #809 on: December 14, 2017, 07:06:37 AM »

I did the same thing accidentally, my annual fee actually put me over the limit even, but supposedly the annual fee doesn't count towards the total so fingers crossed they don't start feeling generous!

Checked last night and found out that they have not credited me the miles. Keeping my fingers crossed.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #810 on: December 14, 2017, 07:34:32 AM »
I was approved for both Premier and Plus rapid rewards cards back in mid-October, when the bonuses were still 60,000 per card. I've spent to within $250 of the $2,000 on one card and once I put car insurance on the other (late December), I'm within $150 on the other. Today I received the following email:

It appears that you may have multiple Rapid RewardsŪ accounts with past activity. We wanted to make you aware of this so that you can link your accounts and be recognized for all of the points you have earned.

When your accounts are merged, all of your Rapid Rewards Points will reside in one account, making it easy for you to manage your Rapid Rewards activity. It will also ensure that all of your points count toward your reward travel and tier status.

To merge your Rapid Rewards accounts, simply click the link below to access a list of your accounts. Please do not share this link with anyone, as it is personalized for you. From the list, you will select the accounts you would like to merge and validate that the account is yours. You will also have the option to declare that an account is not yours.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and participation in the Rapid Rewards Program.

Sooooo... what the heck is this merge they are talking about? Are they on to us? I confirmed through SM that I have until 1/27/18 to spend the $2,000 on each card, and I don't plan on putting the last charges on either card to reach $2K spending until the month of January. Being new to this whole program I'm just curious if this is their way of trying to get someone to forfeit their companion pass by combining the expenditures in both accounts so you are awarded one 60,000 bonus immediately (in 2017) and the other whenever you cross the $4,000 threshold (either 2017, thus shaving a full year off companion pass, or 2018, not awarding the companion pass at all). Either way, I don't think I'll touch that link until at least February after the points have posted... I just thought I'd throw it out here for discussion since others may have gotten the same message.

That sounds completely unrelated to the credit cards. My guess is that you (or someone with the same name) signed up for Southwest's frequent flyer program (called Rapid Rewards) a few years ago and they just want to merge the two accounts. I can't imagine it changing your qualifying points in 2018 in a bad way.
We live in an RV full time while still working remotely. Check it out at http://therecklesschoice.com