Author Topic: removed  (Read 287969 times)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #450 on: August 25, 2016, 11:44:17 AM »
Anyone know what credit bureaus they pull? I froze my credit for security reasons. Would be nice to only unfreeze the one they look at.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #451 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »
Anyone know what credit bureaus they pull? I froze my credit for security reasons. Would be nice to only unfreeze the one they look at.

The inquiry shows on our Equifax and Experian reports. It does not show on Transunion.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #452 on: August 25, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »

The inquiry shows on our Equifax and Experian reports. It does not show on Transunion.

Depends on where you live. And even then it's still not 100% consistent.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?app=creditpulls

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #453 on: August 26, 2016, 03:47:16 PM »
If anyone's looking, I have referrals for Southwest's Plus card -- PM me if interested.

You get 50K points after $2K spend in 3 months, I get 5K points when you complete your spend.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #454 on: August 27, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
If anyone's looking, I have referrals for Southwest's Plus card -- PM me if interested.

You get 50K points after $2K spend in 3 months, I get 5K points when you complete your spend.

Can I get their regular 50k points card and the plus card at the same time?

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: August 27, 2016, 10:02:14 PM »
There are two cards - Plus and Premier. They have different annual fees, and minor differences in benefits. You can get both at the same time.

There isn't a regular card, so to speak.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: August 28, 2016, 09:12:06 AM »
There are two cards - Plus and Premier. They have different annual fees, and minor differences in benefits. You can get both at the same time.

If you apply for both at the same time, you may get a fraud alert call
from Chase, especially if you don't already have a history with them.

They'll ask you to verify some information so they can confirm it's a
legitimate application.  If they call you, it's a good idea to have some
explanation of why you need two cards -- which can be something as
simple as "I want to keep my X expenses separate from Y expenses."

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #457 on: August 28, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »

If you apply for both at the same time, you may get a fraud alert call
from Chase, especially if you don't already have a history with them.

They'll ask you to verify some information so they can confirm it's a
legitimate application.  If they call you, it's a good idea to have some
explanation of why you need two cards -- which can be something as
simple as "I want to keep my X expenses separate from Y expenses."

Sweet! The bonus points are great. There's no way I can legitimately spend $10k in 3 months to get the companion pass. And we don't really travel much, so it wouldn't be especially useful.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #458 on: August 28, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
Actually, it looks like I didn't understand how the companion pass works. Hopefully the 50k points from my card won't post until January. If I do a 2nd card, then I'll be able to earn the companion pass for sure in 2016 with normal spending. I may have applied for the first card a little too early. We'll see.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #459 on: August 28, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »
Actually, it looks like I didn't understand how the companion pass works. Hopefully the 50k points from my card won't post until January. If I do a 2nd card, then I'll be able to earn the companion pass for sure in 2016 with normal spending. I may have applied for the first card a little too early. We'll see.

The language for the companion pass is "earn 110,000 Qualifying Points in a calendar year". I read that to mean that if my statement closes in December and that statement earns me 50k points, that those points are counted for 2016 and not 2017 (even if they do take "6-8 weeks" to post to my SW RR account). Is that right? Looks like I applied too early since 3 months from whenever they approve me will certainly still be in 2016.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2016, 05:43:39 PM »

The language for the companion pass is "earn 110,000 Qualifying Points in a calendar year". I read that to mean that if my statement closes in December and that statement earns me 50k points, that those points are counted for 2016 and not 2017 (even if they do take "6-8 weeks" to post to my SW RR account). Is that right? Looks like I applied too early since 3 months from whenever they approve me will certainly still be in 2016.

Yup, too early.  =/

Statement should close and points post in January.

Thus you don't want to apply for SW cards before October or so.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2016, 06:56:27 PM »
Oh well. I still like getting the points. With how little we travel, it should last us for a year or two.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #462 on: August 29, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
I'd get the 2nd card as soon as you can, and get the spending done.  You still get 1 year + 1 or 2 months of companion pass.

Unless you travel so little that even with 2 people you're not going to spend 100K points next year.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #463 on: August 29, 2016, 03:26:15 PM »
I'd get the 2nd card as soon as you can, and get the spending done.  You still get 1 year + 1 or 2 months of companion pass.

Agreed.

And then at the end of next year (next Nov), have the SO apply for both cards and have bonuses post in Jan, to extend it two more years.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #464 on: August 31, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »

Unless you travel so little that even with 2 people you're not going to spend 100K points next year.

Why does it matter if we spend 100k points in a year? Can't I keep them forever?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: August 31, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »

Why does it matter if we spend 100k points in a year? Can't I keep them forever?
Good point.  Get the companion pass for 2016-17 - no reason not to.  Southwest points technically expire after 2 years if you don't earn any more, but for practical purposes it isn't too hard to keep them alive indefinitely.

Gibbelstein

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #466 on: August 31, 2016, 03:15:52 PM »
OK, so we are closing in on the end of the year.  I tried looking though the earlier pages in the thread but didn't see the answer:

Is there any way to know for sure when is the earliest I can apply and have a statement that closes in Jan 2017?  I would like as much time as possible to spend before the end of the year, but don't want to miss out because I got anxious and jumped the gun. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #467 on: August 31, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »

Because then you get the companion pass, if you hit 110k points in a single year.  So getting the 2nd card now (for another 50k signup bonus) will get you 100 from the signup bonuses, another 6ish from the min spends, then you just need 4k of real (or MS) spend to hit 110k this year, and get the companion pass for 2016-17.

If you don't spend the 110k in a year, yes, you'll keep the 50k from this year, but start over at 0 towards earning the companion pass next year, so likely won't be able to earn it at all.

Gibbelstein

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #468 on: September 01, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »
Thought I would add my experience here since I just finished.

Applied for Premier Business with 50k link on 10/6/15. Told to call to give more info which I did the next day, got approved over the phone.

After hanging up the phone, I immediately applied for Premier Personal with 50k linkon 10/7/15. Automatically approved.

Closing date on statements was the 20th and 21st, respectively. I left it alone.

On 12/28/15 (after both had closed for the cycle), charged planned expenses on card to get 5k in spending total (2k on one, 3k on the other).

Statements closed on 1/20/16 and 1/21/16, spending points and bonus points added to RR account on 1/22 and 1/23, bringing balance to 105k towards companion pass.

Transferred some leftover points from Hyatt account on 1/24. Hyatt points processed on 2/2. point total goes over 110k.

I didn't get an email about the companion Pass, but when I logged into RR, I saw the full chart (all points earned for pass valid through 12/2017) and was able to click and add my companion's info.

Super psyched to take this baby out for a spin.

Argh, of course I find this example after posting my question.  Quoting to help out future searchers.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #469 on: September 02, 2016, 08:51:50 AM »
Last call for individuals interested in 50k point referrals for the PLUS and PREMIER cards. PM your email address to me. I will send the referrals Monday morning. It appears the referrals are good for 30 days, which will allow you to apply the first week of October, giving you maximum time to hit the minimum spending requirement on the cards.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #470 on: September 04, 2016, 04:33:19 PM »

Applied for Premier Business with 50k link on 10/6/15. Told to call to give more info which I did the next day, got approved over the phone.

After hanging up the phone, I immediately applied for Premier Personal with 50k linkon 10/7/15. Automatically approved.

Closing date on statements was the 20th and 21st, respectively. I left it alone.

On 12/28/15 (after both had closed for the cycle), charged planned expenses on card to get 5k in spending total (2k on one, 3k on the other).

Statements closed on 1/20/16 and 1/21/16, spending points and bonus points added to RR account on 1/22 and 1/23, bringing balance to 105k towards companion pass.

Transferred some leftover points from Hyatt account on 1/24. Hyatt points processed on 2/2. point total goes over 110k.

I didn't get an email about the companion Pass, but when I logged into RR, I saw the full chart (all points earned for pass valid through 12/2017) and was able to click and add my companion's info.

Argh, of course I find this example after posting my question.  Quoting to help out future searchers.
The example here leaves me confused. of the cards where applied for on 10/6 and 10/7, and the closing dates are the 20th and 21st, are the first closing dates 10/20 and 10/21 or 11/20 and 11/21? If it's in October then the third month would close 12/20 and 12/21, running the risk of the points being awarded in 2016. Can anyone confirm that the first statement closing dates would be in November?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #471 on: September 13, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »

The example here leaves me confused. of the cards where applied for on 10/6 and 10/7, and the closing dates are the 20th and 21st, are the first closing dates 10/20 and 10/21 or 11/20 and 11/21? If it's in October then the third month would close 12/20 and 12/21, running the risk of the points being awarded in 2016. Can anyone confirm that the first statement closing dates would be in November?

They're in October, but I think you're miscounting in the bold statement.

The first period is oct 21-nov 21. Second is nov 21-dec 21.  Third is dec 21-jan 21.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #472 on: September 14, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »

The first period is oct 21-nov 21. Second is nov 21-dec 21.  Third is dec 21-jan 21.
I guess what confused me was the gap between the application dates and the first closing dates. I assumed if the applications were approved that day that the cards would be mailed and activated faster than two weeks from the approval date. Plus the term "closing date" made me think the first period would have closed in October, which I admit seemed strange because it would have been so short. I just don't want to mess it up since we're planning to use this for a lot of travel over the next two years.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2016, 09:23:43 AM »

I guess what confused me was the gap between the application dates and the first closing dates. I assumed if the applications were approved that day that the cards would be mailed and activated faster than two weeks from the approval date. Plus the term "closing date" made me think the first period would have closed in October, which I admit seemed strange because it would have been so short. I just don't want to mess it up since we're planning to use this for a lot of travel over the next two years.

As long as you apply in October, your third closing date will be in Jan, even if it starts at the date of application.

E.g. Oct 1->Nov 1 (first close)->Dec1 (second close--do spend after this second close)->Jan 1(third close..get points).

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #474 on: September 14, 2016, 09:30:24 AM »
As long as you apply in October, your third closing date will be in Jan, even if it starts at the date of application.
E.g. Oct 1->Nov 1 (first close)->Dec1 (second close--do spend after this second close)->Jan 1(third close..get points).

Not necessarily.  I applied for the DW card last mid-December and my first closing date was December 28, less than two weeks from application date.  I remember because I called the CC company to complain, since my buying and points that posted in December, which I had assumed would post in January, did not count toward 2016.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #475 on: September 14, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »

Not necessarily.  I applied for the DW card last mid-December and my first closing date was December 28, less than two weeks from application date.  I remember because I called the CC company to complain, since my buying and points that posted in December, which I had assumed would post in January, did not count toward 2016.

Call and move your closing date after getting the card?

Also: what do the terms and conditions say?  I thought they say within 3 months of the card opening.  Not within 3 statements. So if you open after Oct 1, you should be able to complete spending by Jan 1 and be fine.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's 3 months.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #476 on: September 14, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »

Call and move your closing date after getting the card?

Also: what do the terms and conditions say?  I thought they say within 3 months of the card opening.  Not within 3 statements. So if you open after Oct 1, you should be able to complete spending by Jan 1 and be fine.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's 3 months.

Don't the points have to be earned in the same calendar year to count toward the companion pass?  Isn't that what we are talking about?  I apologize if not, I haven't read all of the posts.  It's wasn't a huge deal, but I needed all the points that I could get.

Yes, call right after you receive the card and move your closing date.   It didn't occur to me initially because I've never had a closing date within two weeks of application. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #477 on: September 14, 2016, 09:53:33 AM »
Don't the points have to be earned in the same calendar year to count toward the companion pass?  Isn't that what we are talking about?  I apologize if not, I haven't read all of the posts.  It's wasn't a huge deal, but I needed all the points that I could get.

The key is the final bonus does.  So as long as your third statement will end in January, then you can do all your spending after the second statement closes and it'll all post in Jan.  Do that for 2x 50k cards, spend 2-3k on each to hit the min signup bonus, plus another few k to total 10k total spend (or transfer points in, or whatever to hit that 10k) to make 110k, and effectively get the CP for two years.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #478 on: September 14, 2016, 10:00:57 AM »

The key is the final bonus does.  So as long as your third statement will end in January, then you can do all your spending after the second statement closes and it'll all post in Jan.  Do that for 2x 50k cards, spend 2-3k on each to hit the min signup bonus, plus another few k to total 10k total spend (or transfer points in, or whatever to hit that 10k) to make 110k, and effectively get the CP for two years.

I have the CP, I just wanted to warn people about the first statement closing early if they aren't prepared for it.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #479 on: September 14, 2016, 11:07:03 AM »
If one couldn't spend $4,000 in one month, but wanted that spending to count toward the 110,000 points needed for the companion pass is there any reason not to wait until December to apply so you'd have all 3 months in 2017 to hit the 4k needed? I know the October application is designed to provide the longest window possible for the companion pass.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #480 on: September 14, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
If one couldn't spend $4,000 in one month, but wanted that spending to count toward the 110,000 points needed for the companion pass is there any reason not to wait until December to apply so you'd have all 3 months in 2017 to hit the 4k needed? I know the October application is designed to provide the longest window possible for the companion pass.

There's no guarantee taht the cards will have 50k bonuses on them in December. It usually happens but I wouldn't necessarily bank on it.

The official stance from Chase is that 25k is the standard bonus and 50k is a limited time promotion (but I swear it's at 50k for about 1/3-1/2 the year).

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #481 on: September 14, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »

There's no guarantee taht the cards will have 50k bonuses on them in December. It usually happens but I wouldn't necessarily bank on it.

The official stance from Chase is that 25k is the standard bonus and 50k is a limited time promotion (but I swear it's at 50k for about 1/3-1/2 the year).
Ah, I see.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: September 15, 2016, 03:43:00 AM »
If anyone needs a 50k link for the Premier, PM me.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #483 on: October 04, 2016, 07:14:22 AM »
Now is the time to apply if you want to use this program to get the companion pass for 2017-2018. Currently, Chase is offering 40K bonus points on both the Southwest Premier and Southwest Plus cards. I have current 50K point referrals for both cards. Send me a PM and I will get the referrals out to you. Sorry, I do not have Business Card referrals.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #484 on: October 04, 2016, 07:18:39 AM »
A way to transfer Marriott points to Southwest, which counts towards the Companion Pass:
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/10/02/marriott-points-for-southwest-companion-pass/

Using Starwood (SPG) Points->Marriott->SW works.  90k SPG will get you the 110k SW you need for a CP.

If you get denied a card (so only get 50k or something) or have already got those bonuses once before in your life, this could be useful.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #485 on: October 06, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
I plan on applying for these later today. We'll see how it goes!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #486 on: October 06, 2016, 06:05:41 PM »
I just signed up for the Plus and Premier cards at the same time (in two separate browsers) and was instantly approved for both.

I used a referral from Professor Eck for the Plus card but I had my own offer in an email from Southwest for the Premier card. The email specified a 50,000 point bonus and I used the link in the email to the Chase form, however I was slightly dismayed that the Chase form didn't say anything specifically about bonus points. I know it had my data from the email offer because a couple fields were pre-filled already (my name). The email offer did not expire until 10/22 so I should be good there.

The form from Professor Eck's referral had the 50,000 point bonus shown right there. Somehow I'd like to verify that the Premier card I signed up for included the 50,000 point bonus, just to be safe. I have a Chase Online account and I was looking around there (both cards show up) to see if there was anything that mentioned the bonus but I haven't come across anything yet. Does anyone know if that information shows up in your Chase Online account anywhere? I suppose I can call Chase for verification?

Also, I'm having difficultly figuring our when the first statements close. All I see is that the first payment is due by 11/17 and 11/19. If that's accurate then apply now was technically too early because I think they give you 21+ days to make the payment, which would put the first closing dates in October.

EDIT for Update: I called Chase and the lady said my Plus card's first cycle won't close until 11/20 and payment will be due on 12/17. So what I saw on my Chase online account with a due date of 11/17 was actually a phantom due date as if I already had a card. Whew! Just thought I would add that info just in case anyone else signs up, looks at their Chase Online account immediately afterward, and has a little panic attack like I did. :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:30:37 PM by Mr. Green »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #487 on: October 06, 2016, 06:10:08 PM »
The easiest thing to do is to call and confirm the bonuses and statement close date.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #488 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:06 PM »
The easiest thing to do is to call and confirm the bonuses and statement close date.
50,000 bonus points offer verified for each card. I am so stoked about this!

joewalsh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #489 on: October 07, 2016, 11:21:50 PM »
Saw this posted over at slickdeals.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7319392-two-roundtrip-flights-w-southwest-airlines-credit-cards-50k-points-w-2000-spent-in-first-3-months?v=1

100k points is worth at least 4 flights ( or two round trips) and companion status means your designated companion can fly with you for free (unlimited)

You basically need to sign up for 2 southwest credit cards-  I did the 2 personal credit cards, the "Plus" and the "Premiere."  I was approved for both instantly.  (Tip*  Do the 2nd one in another browser like IE instead of Chrome or use incognito mode in Chrome).  (Sucks that you will probably have to pay both annual fees)

Spend $2000 in the first three months on each card to earn 50,000 bonus points each.

Then spend an additional $6,000 to get you to a total of 110,000 points which will get you the companion status.  (This can be done by transferring points from partner companies.  I will personally be transferring over Marriott points to cover this $6k spending)

Now this is important-  make sure that all points you earn is in the billing period with a closing date in January 2015 because only points in the same calendar year count towards your companion status.  Once you earn your 110,000 points and gain Companion status in January of 2015 you not only get it for the rest of 2015 BUT FOR ALL OF 2016 TOO

This is awesome timing for us personally because my wife and I want to go visit some family and friends around the country-  So for the next two years I can book my flights using the 110k points we earn and then she just flies for free as my companion.
Tip, you can usually get the annual fee back if you close the car very quickly. They usually refund it at Chase. But only close it after Chase sends all of your points to Southwest Airlines. Good Luck to you.

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #490 on: October 19, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
A little off topic - I am getting ready to close my SW chase cards so that I can reapply later for another round of companion pass. Anyway, I have 6000 points left over sitting in my rapid rewards account. I was going to transfer the points to my husbands rr, but SW charges $60 to do that. Any other ideas in how to use these points efficiently?  I'd hate to just lose them.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #491 on: October 19, 2016, 11:29:16 AM »
A little off topic - I am getting ready to close my SW chase cards so that I can reapply later for another round of companion pass. Anyway, I have 6000 points left over sitting in my rapid rewards account. I was going to transfer the points to my husbands rr, but SW charges $60 to do that. Any other ideas in how to use these points efficiently?  I'd hate to just lose them.

Why would you lose them? You won't lose any of your RR points when you close the Chase RR cards.  Just keep them for the next time, and periodically (once every year or so) do a survey or other low-value points-yielding special offer that will keep all your points valid and unexpired.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: October 19, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
You can also use them to book a flight for you or your husband - a lot of one-ways available for under 6K points where I'm at.

My rapid rewards account is the one with the companion pass for the rest of 2016, but I am basically out of miles.  We're in process of getting companion pass on my wife's rapid rewards account for 2016-17.  Goal is to be "on-schedule" after this year, so I'll re-apply in late 2017 and do spend such as to get companion pass for 2018-19.

Anyway, we recently booked a flight using my wife's miles, and I was a bit surprised to find that we could use my companion pass.  Logged in to her account, booked flight with miles for me.  Logged out, logged in to my account and I could add her as a companion to the ticket she just bought for me.

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #493 on: October 19, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »

Why would you lose them? You won't lose any of your RR points when you close the Chase RR cards.  Just keep them for the next time, and periodically (once every year or so) do a survey or other low-value points-yielding special offer that will keep all your points valid and unexpired.
[/quote]

Nevermind, you are right, I misunderstood. For some reason I was thinking if I closed the cards I would lose them, but in reality I just have to have some sort of activity in within a 24 month period.

False alarm!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: October 19, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »
Nevermind, you are right, I misunderstood. For some reason I was thinking if I closed the cards I would lose them, but in reality I just have to have some sort of activity in within a 24 month period.

Specifically you need activity that will add miles to your RR account, e.g. purchased
flights, UR point transfers, magazine subscription through a shopping portal, etc.

Merely redeeming Rapid Rewards miles won't reset the 2-year expiration date.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #495 on: October 19, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »

Specifically you need activity that will add miles to your RR account, e.g. purchased
flights, UR point transfers, magazine subscription through a shopping portal, etc.

You know, one "hack" I've noticed is that you can book a "Wanna Get Away" fare with points.  Typically the Wanna Get Away Fares are the cheapest, but non refundable.  But if you cancel a point reservation, you get your points back.

I've wondered if this deduction and addition of points qualifies to reset expiration.

I'm also much more likely to tentatively book a good fare and then cancel if I change my mind about a trip as the date approaches.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #496 on: October 21, 2016, 05:41:50 PM »
Can anyone chime in on their experience regarding Chase/Southwest's definition of "first 3 months?" This thread has posts describing the strategy of opening cards in October so that the 3rd statement closes in January. I thought I timed everything correctly but for some reason Chase has given me a half billing period for the first cycle. I applied for the cards (and was approved) on 10/6, didn't receive them until 10/16, used them for a few days and now the first card already shows a statement with a closing date of 10/20. The second card's closing statement lags two days behind. So by Chase's math my first billing cycle was 15 days, where I had the cards for about 4 of them. This means that my third billing cycle will close on 12/20, however my first 3 months doesn't technically end until 1/6, which would be captured in my 4th billing cycle that closes on 1/20. Should I be concerned about this?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #497 on: October 21, 2016, 08:28:57 PM »
Can anyone chime in on their experience regarding Chase/Southwest's definition of "first 3 months?" This thread has posts describing the strategy of opening cards in October so that the 3rd statement closes in January. I thought I timed everything correctly but for some reason Chase has given me a half billing period for the first cycle. I applied for the cards (and was approved) on 10/6, didn't receive them until 10/16, used them for a few days and now the first card already shows a statement with a closing date of 10/20. The second card's closing statement lags two days behind. So by Chase's math my first billing cycle was 15 days, where I had the cards for about 4 of them. This means that my third billing cycle will close on 12/20, however my first 3 months doesn't technically end until 1/6, which would be captured in my 4th billing cycle that closes on 1/20. Should I be concerned about this?

You should call and ask them about the exact date you have to hit the minimum spend for the signup bonus.  They will have this date on file, easily accessible.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #498 on: October 22, 2016, 06:49:54 AM »

You know, one "hack" I've noticed is that you can book a "Wanna Get Away" fare with points.  Typically the Wanna Get Away Fares are the cheapest, but non refundable.  But if you cancel a point reservation, you get your points back.

I've wondered if this deduction and addition of points qualifies to reset expiration.

I'm also much more likely to tentatively book a good fare and then cancel if I change my mind about a trip as the date approaches.

Nope. Refunds of points don't reset the clock.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #499 on: October 22, 2016, 06:56:22 AM »

As arebelspy suggests, you can call Chase to confirm the exact date, however I'm pretty
sure you don't have anything to worry about.  Of all the cards I've acquired, Chase seems the
most flexible on the minimum spend period:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-unofficially-gives-almost-4-months-meet-signup-bonus-requirements/

That said, I always use 90 days starting from my application date for any card I'm
targeting for a bonus and I'm carefully verifying my purchases online to meet minimum
spend. 

Some churners have gotten burned when they received a credit refund on a purchase
and they neglected to include it in their calculations.  An easy way to eyeball this is to add
up all your payments on the account (> minimum spend) and check your balance is
non-negative, i.e. zero or greater.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!