Author Topic: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer  (Read 142086 times)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
Received my cards today. Activated them, and moved the closing dates to the 3rd, so my spending from December 4th - January 3rd should all credit in 2015. If I can swing it, I will get all $4k of the spend into that one month.

I'm not sure how the Serve card measures a month, but I might be able to work it so that I put 2 months worth of Serve loading (via softcard, total of $3k) onto the same Chase billing cycle. Planning to use Serve to pay mortgage and 1 other bill that I can't use credit cards for.

I *think* I will receive my new SIM card tomorrow so that I can sign up for softcard/serve - I was notified about a UPS delivery scheduled for tomorrow, and I am not expecting anything else.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »
Received my cards today. Activated them, and moved the closing dates to the 3rd, so my spending from December 4th - January 3rd should all credit in 2015. If I can swing it, I will get all $4k of the spend into that one month.

I'm not sure how the Serve card measures a month, but I might be able to work it so that I put 2 months worth of Serve loading (via softcard, total of $3k) onto the same Chase billing cycle. Planning to use Serve to pay mortgage and 1 other bill that I can't use credit cards for.

I *think* I will receive my new SIM card tomorrow so that I can sign up for softcard/serve - I was notified about a UPS delivery scheduled for tomorrow, and I am not expecting anything else.
Serve card measures a month as a calendar month. Which is kinda funny because they also send you statements on a ~30 day cycle.

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »

Thanks for the tip on changing the closing dates... I just called and did the same!  Just curious, are your new closing dates showing online?  Mine all still say not available.
"There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they donít need to impress people they donít like" - Nigel Marsh

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
Serve card measures a month as a calendar month. Which is kinda funny because they also send you statements on a ~30 day cycle.

Awesome! That means I should hopefully be able to load 1500 in December, and at least 1000 at the beginning of January... I don't know if statement closing date means charges from that date are part of the statement, or on the next statement?

Thanks for the tip on changing the closing dates... I just called and did the same!  Just curious, are your new closing dates showing online?  Mine all still say not available.

My closing dates aren't showing online - I was told by the rep today that it might not update until a statement closes.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

I got my two cards today and activated them immediately. Called into the service reps and asked about my billing cycle. It's slated for the first statement to roll in on Dec. 9th. I'm going to see if I can move it up to Dec. 3rd as I start a 4-5 week contract on that date and will have about $4-$5k in expenses in that first month.
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »
Just wanted to add a data point here. I applied for one personal (premier type) and one business. Got approved for the personal and denied for the business (after calling reconsideration). However, I tried the second personal card  (plus type) and was approved.  No questions on either of the personal recon calls, other than confirming my address.  I actually called recon twice for the business card and on the second call asked if having been denied for the business card would mean I'd likely be denied for the 2nd personal card. They said no that would not be a reason for a decline. Reasons given for the decline of the business card were that I've only had a US credit history for a year, and that my business revenue wasn't high and they didn't consider I needed a separate business card. However they were fine with the idea of needing multiple personal cards to separate business expenses for different businesses.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »
So apparently, it is possible to get 6000 points (the amount of points you'll be short after meeting your minimum spend) with just four orders of food that are at least $30 each.
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2014/11/27/how-to-feed-the-hungry-and-fly-for-free/

This may work in your favor if you don't have any other good way to get 6000 points. Manufactured spending techniques would probably still be better though - buying prepaid Visa or Mastercard gift cards at a 1% fee (4.95 for $500 cards) would mean that buying $6000 worth of those would cost you only $60, half of what the orders of food would cost. Then again, you do need to asses how much you actually value the food you would buy in the above scheme.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2014, 05:40:43 PM »
Finally got signed up for Amex Serve via Softcard this evening... now to wait until after the next billing cycle begins!

KiloRomeo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
Cards are locked and loaded!

Before I start researching Serve I have a quick questions. My payment due date (is this the close date?) is 1/8/2015. That means any spending from now until then should count towards 2015 right?

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
Cards are locked and loaded!

Before I start researching Serve I have a quick questions. My payment due date (is this the close date?) is 1/8/2015. That means any spending from now until then should count towards 2015 right?

payment due date isn't the same as the closing date!

What I did was I called up Chase and had them change all of my closing dates to 12/2/14 so then it would close the following 1/2 which means I could do most of my spending in December to count towards the points posting in January.

None of the info in the system seems to be updated yet and I did this last week.  All of my closing dates are showing "not available" but the chase guy said it probably wouldn't update until after the first statement/closing.  So I would call them up and make sure you have the correct info!
"There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they donít need to impress people they donít like" - Nigel Marsh

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2014, 10:03:18 AM »
I just wanted to update the thread and let everyone know that I have been able to use Amex Serve (Softcard version) to load $1500 per month on my cards.  They process as transactions (not cash advances) so they count as spending towards the bonus points.  When the serve transaction is pending it reduces your cash advance limit by that amount so it freaked me out a bit but once it cleared it posted as a valid transaction and my cash advance limit went back up to the full amount.

This is a really easy way to meet the spending requirements for these cards so I wanted to mention it again!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2014, 10:53:02 AM »
I just remembered - there's also the "redbird" http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2014/10/11/redcard-changes-everything/

You can load $5000 a month fee free onto this at Targets. And then offload with bill pay, ATM withdrawal, etc (the same ways as the Amex Serve).

BUT, you can only get these at select places across the country (which is why I forgot to mention this, as I can't get one in my area). Also, you cannot register your Redbird if you have a Serve account.

purplepear

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2014, 11:58:03 AM »
Can anyone verify that Amex Softcard works on a Republic Wireless Moto X?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
Can anyone verify that Amex Softcard works on a Republic Wireless Moto X?
The Softcard app will only run on phones running on AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon.

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »
I just remembered - there's also the "redbird" http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2014/10/11/redcard-changes-everything/

You can load $5000 a month fee free onto this at Targets. And then offload with bill pay, ATM withdrawal, etc (the same ways as the Amex Serve).

BUT, you can only get these at select places across the country (which is why I forgot to mention this, as I can't get one in my area). Also, you cannot register your Redbird if you have a Serve account.

I think I may get this once IL targets have them available.  Is it true they charge no fees at all?  I think serve charges you a fee if you don't load it in a month right?  Once I am done with the spending on these cards I probably won't do it as much so I will most likely cancel Serve.

2nd question- I go up to WI for work occasionally and they have the Red Bird cards there, if I pick one up in a WI store do you think I can load them in IL targets even though they don't sell them yet?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »

I think I may get this once IL targets have them available.  Is it true they charge no fees at all?  I think serve charges you a fee if you don't load it in a month right?  Once I am done with the spending on these cards I probably won't do it as much so I will most likely cancel Serve.

2nd question- I go up to WI for work occasionally and they have the Red Bird cards there, if I pick one up in a WI store do you think I can load them in IL targets even though they don't sell them yet?
This flyertalk thread has more detail: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1618018-prepaid-redcard-target.html
There's no mention of any fees on the wiki.
The wiki claims you can load at any Target, even ones that don't sell them.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2014, 06:10:57 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but I applied for the personal and business plus accounts to minimize annual fees.  Instant approval for the personal, but deferred on the business card.  Called reconsideration and was turned down for reasons related to me having done a bunch of this type of stuff in the past.

What do y'all think:  Call reconsideration a second time and hope for a nicer rep?  Apply for the personal premier card?  Bag it and just get the 50K miles from the one card?
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but I applied for the personal and business plus accounts to minimize annual fees.  Instant approval for the personal, but deferred on the business card.  Called reconsideration and was turned down for reasons related to me having done a bunch of this type of stuff in the past.

What do y'all think:  Call reconsideration a second time and hope for a nicer rep?  Apply for the personal premier card?  Bag it and just get the 50K miles from the one card?

i think we need more detail as to why they declined you

did you do this today?  I thought I heard that the promotion was over.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »
Got my premier card today! Still waiting on the plus card, but at least I can take my premier card on my business trip this weekend and start racking up some points! Billing period closes January 21, so I am pretty happy that it seems I timed this just right-we will see if I can figure out some MS to get that $4K in 3 months. This is my first time trying something like this, but hoping that it goes well.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »

i think we need more detail as to why they declined you

did you do this today?  I thought I heard that the promotion was over.

I applied maybe a week ago and spoke with retention about two days ago I think.  You're right, though, the promotion is gone, so I guess I'm just going to get the 50K miles and call it good.

They declined me because of a pattern of only keeping credit card accounts open for a year or two, as well as zero business income the previous two years.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »
They declined me because of a pattern of only keeping credit card accounts open for a year or two, as well as zero business income the previous two years.
Emphasis mine - I'm pretty sure the latter is more problematic than the former since you applied for the business card. Chase now explicitly states that you only qualify for a signup bonus for a particular card if you have not received it in the last two years (ie, you can received a signup bonus again if you wait two years).

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
Status update - I received and activated my Serve card, and my first $10 test ran through the Southwest card as a "Sale." Waiting for my next transaction of $500 to move from pending to sale before I run more, but it looks hopeful that I'll be able to do at least 2k on the Serve card.

I've dropped $300 or so in normal spending onto the 2nd card... waiting until closer to the end of the month to see what else I need to do to get to the full 4k spend.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Status update - I received and activated my Serve card, and my first $10 test ran through the Southwest card as a "Sale." Waiting for my next transaction of $500 to move from pending to sale before I run more, but it looks hopeful that I'll be able to do at least 2k on the Serve card.

I've dropped $300 or so in normal spending onto the 2nd card... waiting until closer to the end of the month to see what else I need to do to get to the full 4k spend.
If all else fails, first buy store gift cards to places you normally shop at. You can also buy $500 prepaid Visa or Mastercard gift cards for usually ~1% fee. You can load these onto your Serve at Walmart, or just spend them down (but in doing so, you give up credit card rewards for the card you would've used for these purchases).

And in reality, it can be advantageous to just buy the Visa or MC gc's for a fee and put your normal spending on your normal credit cards, IF your normal cards have a high enough bonus category:
Suppose you have a card X that earns 5% in some category, whether it's a rotating category on Chase, Discover, or Citi, or it's 5% on groceries/gas/bookstores on Sallie Mae Mastercard. Every dollar you put on X earns 5%, but effectively incurs a 1% fee because that's how much you'd pay to manufacture spend on your Southwest card. Also, every dollar on the Southwest card earns 1 Southwest point, which is valued at 1.43 cents towards "Wanna Get Away" (economy class) fares (well, it's actually a little bit more complicated than that because Southwest doesn't charge you most of the taxes and fees when you book with points...but I'm going to ignore that for simplicity). So putting a dollar on X earns 5%, but has an opportunity cost of 2.43%. You're still coming out ahead by putting your spending on X as opposed to your Southwest card.
Now, that's all fine mathematically, but if you don't have a Walmart nearby to liquidate your Visa or MC gc's onto a Serve, then I'd just put all your spending on your Southwest card, unless you want to go through the hassle of spending down the Visa or MC gc.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2014, 01:43:42 PM »
Yes! My two backup spending plans are:

• pay for 6 months of car insurance up front, instead of monthly
  • Buy a large grocery store gift card for my own use in the future

Another update: have loaded serve card successfully for $1,000 so far, all "Sale" transactions and not cash advances.

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2014, 05:20:50 PM »
I rec'd my redcard and went to Target to load with my SW card. It kept declining - I called Chase to let them know I would be making a large transaction (thinking it might be declining d/t fraud alert or something). Tried to load again with $500 and still a no go. Not sure what gives. Gonna go back tomorrow and try $400. Boo!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
Good luck Ms. FancyPants - I was considering trying the REDcard after I complete the spend for these new cards; please keep us updated on whether you can get it to work! Did you make sure to register the new permanent card online before trying to load it?

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »
Good luck Ms. FancyPants - I was considering trying the REDcard after I complete the spend for these new cards; please keep us updated on whether you can get it to work! Did you make sure to register the new permanent card online before trying to load it?

Yes, the permanent card has been activated/registered. Its weird, as I had no problem loading the card with $500 upon purchase :/ Fingers crossed it was just a glitch and nothing has changed. To be continued ....

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2014, 09:58:52 AM »
well i've met my $2000 minimum spending on both cards!  Serve really helped speed it up!  now I just have to wait for 1/1 to get here so I can see all of those miles hit my Southwest account!  Then I am transferring over about 5000 worth of points from Hyatt (originally transferred from Chase ultimate rewards) to hit the 110k points required for the companion pass!  We are looking forward to booking some free trips!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
Am I crazy for being afraid to reach the $2k spend before the start of the new year? I have this irrational fear that they might credit the points early or something.

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2014, 03:09:04 PM »
well I am already over and nothing has happened yet so don't worry!

my last statement closed on 12/3 and the points were posted to southwest on 12/5

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
Am I crazy for being afraid to reach the $2k spend before the start of the new year? I have this irrational fear that they might credit the points early or something.

It's after statement close.

I would wait, it's just two weeks.

/shrug
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2014, 04:44:10 PM »
My statement closes 1/3 so i'm good right?

It's after statement close.

I would wait, it's just two weeks.

/shrug

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
Sure, but only the points that post after that will count for your 110k for 2015 - the ones you already had post in Dec obviously won't.

I haven't even activated my SW card I got in Oct, I'll do it, and all of it's spending, in early January.  No need to mess with figuring out when closing dates are, etc.  YMMV.  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
I'm trying to wrap up my spending so that I get both the points and pass in mid-january, so I can book a flight for March.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
I'm trying to wrap up my spending so that I get both the points and pass in mid-january, so I can book a flight for March.

I did this last year. One option to help yourself: if you have the points already or fly enough that you'll be buying flights with money to use with the Companion Pass eventually, buy the flight for yourself ASAP or whenever the flight is cheapest (which usually means earlier is better with Southwest). Once you get the companion pass you can add your companion to any already booked flight as long as there is a single seat free on the plane. There is no need to book them at the same time or wait until you get the companion pass to book your flight.
We live in an RV full time while still working remotely. Check it out at http://therecklesschoice.com

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I'll book a ticket as soon as I have the initial deposit of points, and add on a companion after I get the pass.

mjz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »
Brand new to this.  Has anyone used serve with chase sw premier in last day or so and still have it go thru as purchase?  Would like to do so but don't want ca charges.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2014, 01:40:03 PM »
Brand new to this.  Has anyone used serve with chase sw premier in last day or so and still have it go thru as purchase?  Would like to do so but don't want ca charges.

It works fine.

fujiters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
Does anyone have a referral for either the 50000 bonus personal Plus card or for either of the 50000 bonus business cards?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2014, 11:18:49 AM »
Not sure if anyone else got the Choice Hotels card like I did - I will be transferring 8000 (bonus points) + 4000 (purchased points) for a total of 3600 Southwest points (to help reach the 110k companion pass goal). Anyway... if you are doing the same thing, I wanted to point out that buying points at Choice is currently discounted 30% as a holiday promotion. My 4000 extra points just cost ~$31 instead of $44.

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
I totally screwed myself - I accidentally hit my 50,000 bonus on my first card in December. I called to see if there was anything I could do and beyond making a $50,000 purchase they said no.  ... Since that's never going to happen I thought I would check here to see if anyone has any tricks?

I did call SW to see about combining points (with my husband) or even buying points - its a no go for the companion pass. Tell me there is another way? 

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2014, 01:51:43 PM »
I totally screwed myself - I accidentally hit my 50,000 bonus on my first card in December. I called to see if there was anything I could do and beyond making a $50,000 purchase they said no.  ... Since that's never going to happen I thought I would check here to see if anyone has any tricks?

I did call SW to see about combining points (with my husband) or even buying points - its a no go for the companion pass. Tell me there is another way?

So, you will get 50,000 from one card in 2015, and you're needing another 50,000 Southwest points for next year?

You could get the Chase Ritz-Carlton Rewards card.  Current promotion is 140,000 points (after spending $3k in 3 months) which are Mariott points, which transfer to Southwest at a rate of 2.8:1.  Which means the 140,000 Mariott points are worth 50,000 Southwest points.  The bummer is that the annual fee is $395.

purplepear

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »
So I just now thought to check when the statement closing date was today... and found out that my closing date was tomorrow. O_O

I've already hit the $2K spending on one card, so I was freaked out that the 50K miles would post in 2014.

Called chase, changed my closing date to early January. Boom.

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »

So, you will get 50,000 from one card in 2015, and you're needing another 50,000 Southwest points for next year?

You could get the Chase Ritz-Carlton Rewards card.  Current promotion is 140,000 points (after spending $3k in 3 months) which are Mariott points, which transfer to Southwest at a rate of 2.8:1.  Which means the 140,000 Mariott points are worth 50,000 Southwest points.  The bummer is that the annual fee is $395.

Yikes, $395 annual fee is steep, but an option. Thanks for sharing.

So I just now thought to check when the statement closing date was today... and found out that my closing date was tomorrow. O_O

I've already hit the $2K spending on one card, so I was freaked out that the 50K miles would post in 2014.

Called chase, changed my closing date to early January. Boom.
Just in the nick of time! I'm glad you remembered :)

KiloRomeo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »
Do you get the points no matter when you pay it? Ie, if my statement close is 12/11 but I don't pay until 1/5/15....when do the points hit?

Also, whats the point of Serve/ Redbird? Is it just to front load $ amounts to get teh points and then you use the redbird card later instead of the credit card? How can you tell what kind of bills can be paid with Serve/Redbird? I wonder if I can pay my rent.

KiloRomeo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2014, 12:55:29 PM »
Do you get the points no matter when you pay it? Ie, if my statement close is 12/11 but I don't pay until 1/5/15....when do the points hit?

Also, whats the point of Serve/ Redbird? Is it just to front load $ amounts to get teh points and then you use the redbird card later instead of the credit card? How can you tell what kind of bills can be paid with Serve/Redbird? I wonder if I can pay my rent.

tyd450

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
the points post to southwest a few days after your statement closes, doesn't matter when you pay

serve allows you to fake spend as much as $1500 if you get the softcard version of serve... i'm not sure of the limit on redbird.  I was able to put $1500 on my serve card which racks up $1500 in spending on the southwest chase card.  Then I used the billpay function on serve to pay off the other credit card I was using for normal spending.  You can use this to pay your rent too as long as they accept a check.  It is just like a billpay from your bank/checking acct.

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
I had Choice hotel point that were expiring on the 31st, so I just converted 6000 Choice points into 1800 SW points.  It doesn't really matter to me if they show up on the 2014 or 2015 point tally.  Here is the hilarious part, though:  I had to call them on the phone to do it bc my online efforts were futile (apparently it wanted me to enter my SW RapidRewards number with a bunch of leading zeros, but I did not know that.)  I had my online accounts pulled up during the transaction and the Choice points disappeared from my account online instantaneously, but the phone agent told me that it may take "6 to 8 weeks for the points to post in my SW account."  What, are they mailing these points on the slow boat from India?

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
I'm not this hardcore but I did get my United explorer card today.. $50,000 signup bonus miles ( I still have a couple of hundred thousand United miles) when you spend $2000 in 3 months. So far I have spent $575 (rental insurance, some supplies for the horse boarding business).. Both before the end of the year to deduct against 2014 taxes.

In march I will pay the car insurance $850 or so.. thats within range of hitting the $2000 if you throw in normal spending on utilities etc... Plus maybe a Home Depot gift card  for the balance.

Add this to the $840 We got for the chase freedom CC's and the Capital one accounts.. Not a bad end to the year..:)

Frank

KiloRomeo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »

Thank goodness I didn't hit the bonus but I kind of screwed myself too. I called Chase any spending in December would post in January. I tried to move my close date but they said it was not necessary. Well sure enough, points posted in December and won't count towards 2015. Now I have about $7,500  to go instead of $4,000. Oh well, looking into softcard now.

Quick question. I made a large purchase which was reflected in my points posted in December. The item wasn't used and now I am going to return it.....what happens to those points?