Author Topic: small victory today  (Read 4086 times)

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
small victory today
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:29:27 PM »
Cancelled my gym membership today. Looking to build a cheap home gym that costs less than or equal to a years membership at my old gym.

Estimated yearly savings: $289.68

This was pretty much the last expense I have to get rid of and wasn't even considering it since it's cheap. But I wanted to downgrade my membership and they charge you a fee of $39.00 which they wouldn't waive at my request, even as I've been a member for over 10 years.

Looking forward to a home setup requiring no travel, maintenance cost, or waiting around to take my turn on equipment :)

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
Re: small victory today
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
Congrats!
I miss the gym atmosphere, but not those fees.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
Congrats. It's sad how many gyms care little about customer loyalty.

I still have my gym subscription, but it's a work gym and only about 100 a year and for that the showers come stocked with clean towels, soap, razors, shaving cream etc. Could I save some money on it? Probably, but after considering the savings by showering after working out and the convenience of taking a shower before leaving from work if I need to hurry somewhere and can't run by home to shower first is nice.

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 03:12:36 AM »
Congrats!  I personally pay a lot more for my gym membership, but its something that I feel that I "need".  I do Crossfit which has a community aspect and is group workouts.  I've started building a home gym as well though.

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »
Congrats. It's sad how many gyms care little about customer loyalty.

I still have my gym subscription, but it's a work gym and only about 100 a year and for that the showers come stocked with clean towels, soap, razors, shaving cream etc. Could I save some money on it? Probably, but after considering the savings by showering after working out and the convenience of taking a shower before leaving from work if I need to hurry somewhere and can't run by home to shower first is nice.

That's awesome prognastat. I would totally keep a membership like yours as well. I wish I had a gym at work situation like yours.

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
Congrats!  I personally pay a lot more for my gym membership, but its something that I feel that I "need".  I do Crossfit which has a community aspect and is group workouts.  I've started building a home gym as well though.

Hi MWOverlander. I love CF too. I live in NYC and unfortunately the one closest to me is upwards of $200 a month before attire, oly shoes, proper nutrition, etc.

Yes, the community aspect is phenomenal. That's probably it's best attribute. I'm hoping to build a simple, squat/deadlift setup and modify from there. keeping it super simple. If I move someday, I would love to join CF again.

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
Congrats!
I miss the gym atmosphere, but not those fees.

It's one of my smallest expenditures but the hardest to cut. Surprisingly, I felt quite victorious being able to give something I valued so much up. It gave me a sense of discipline I think will feed FI motivation.

It's funny, I'm 100% a debt avalanche type guy, but i totally now understand the psychology of the debt snowball method and how that can give people incentive to keep paying down debt.

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.LiveBreathEatKeto.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »
You have inspired me to join you in this small victory. I pay about $160 a year at Planet Fitness but there is a perfectly good gym at my apartment complex and a pool. The apartment gym doesn't have all the fancy machines, the tanning or the water massage bed but it is more than enough to keep me in shape. So that's another $160 to add to my savings. Every little bit helps ;)

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »
You have inspired me to join you in this small victory. I pay about $160 a year at Planet Fitness but there is a perfectly good gym at my apartment complex and a pool. The apartment gym doesn't have all the fancy machines, the tanning or the water massage bed but it is more than enough to keep me in shape. So that's another $160 to add to my savings. Every little bit helps ;)

Daughn, I think that is just fantastic. My membership as well was PlanetFitness. I loved the 24hrs, and convenient multiple locations. Unfortunately in my experience, they are lacking in customer loyalty.

Keep me updated on your progress. If you need a kick in the butt to stay motivated, I'd be happy to assist! I think the best thing is sticking to a schedule, given the downside is getting sucked into procrastination due to the convenience of your gym being just steps (or floors) away.