Author Topic: Shower curtain  (Read 4520 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Shower curtain
« on: November 13, 2017, 05:22:15 PM »
I had to replace my shower curtain.
While shopping around I saw shower curtains with a clear panel near the top of the curtain, for light to get in.
I like them, but they cost $20 and up.

I bought a clear shower curtain liner for a few bucks at a local discount home goods store.
I bought a painting drop cloth at a dollar store.  And some beaded necklaces in the toys section.
I put four of the necklaces on my shower curtain hangers (one in from each end and then evenly spaced between).  I measured from the bottom of them to the tub.
I cut the drop cloth so I had two pieces the size I needed - one piece was a bit to clear, two looks 'frosted'.
I used some snack bag clips to hold the drop cloth to the necklaces.  I put clear shipping tape at the top of the drop cloth where the necklaces were, and poked a hole thru with a small screwdriver.
I put small zip-ties thru the drop cloth & tape, and connected it/them to the necklaces.

It works great.

I'd kinda like the drop cloth to be a bit lower, so I'm thinking of replacing the necklaces with weed-wacker string/line.  Gotta see how strong a end-to-end connection I can do with hotglue or electrical shrink tubing.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
Re: Shower curtain
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
We need to see a picture!

: 0 )

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »
Why not just use the clear curtain and be done.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »
How much money did you save versus spending $20 on a shower curtain?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:55:52 AM »
Can't you just use the clear liner?  Is this like a scenario where you don't want guests to see inside your shower?

Another option is to spray paint the liner from a certain height down.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
I did that for a week.
Even though I live alone, it's just kinda... creepy.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
How much money did you save versus spending $20 on a shower curtain?
$15.50, plus whatever shipping would be on the $20 shower curtain.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
A money hack I learned here, I believe, was that you can wash your shower curtain in the washing machine to get rid of the "shower funk". It had never struck me before, I had always just tossed them out and bought new ones.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
Do we really need shower curtains?  With a soft enough stream, you can get yourself wet.  Turn off water.  Soap up.  Rinse off carefully.  What a waste of $5! 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 07:25:08 PM »
Do we really need shower curtains?  With a soft enough stream, you can get yourself wet.  Turn off water.  Soap up.  Rinse off carefully.  What a waste of $5!

Some of us would get hypothermia. And possibly be licked to death by two Great Danes who seem to believe shower curtains (but not bathroom doors) are impenetrable barriers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:15:28 PM »

Some of us would get hypothermia. And possibly be licked to death by two Great Danes who seem to believe shower curtains (but not bathroom doors) are impenetrable barriers.

Use shower curtain for a door

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:26 AM »
I did that for a week.
The movie Psycho is the exact reason I have clear shower curtains in my house.  I want to see it coming -and maybe have a split second to save myself.   

Just wondering, if you had a separate shower with a clear shower door would that still be creepy and you'd go for frosted?

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »
My own shower curtain hack: found lots of lightweight/semi-transparent but textured fabric at a garage sale for $2 (may have been meant to be a saari), and sewed 2 french seams to make a wide enough panel for the shower, and hemmed all sides, with button holes at the top for the shower hooks. I put it over a clear liner (less than $5). The result looks very expensive, lets enough light in, but gives just enough of a privacy frosting effect that no one can see what brand of shampoo we use without opening the curtain. I don't mind if they do look inside, but it looks much tidier than clear curtain alone.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »
A money hack I learned here, I believe, was that you can wash your shower curtain in the washing machine to get rid of the "shower funk". It had never struck me before, I had always just tossed them out and bought new ones.
That's only if you buy a good shower curtain. Not the cheap plastic ones.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »

Just wondering, if you had a separate shower with a clear shower door would that still be creepy and you'd go for frosted?

It's really interesting the habits/preferences we pick up.  I guess if you always had an opaque shower curtain growing up, a shower would just feel wrong without one.

I've been to tropical resorts where the shower is basically outside -- still private, but with giant open windows, and floors sloped such that you don't have to worry about water escaping.  It was strange at first, but really cool.  If I was spendy, I would want something like that for myself.

I'd still need a somewhat cozy enclosure, though.  If it's too big/open then you might feel like a locker room.  Can you image showering here?

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 07:13:25 PM »
The movie Psycho is the exact reason I have clear shower curtains in my house.  I want to see it coming -and maybe have a split second to save myself.   

My 'frosting' only goes up 4' from the tub.  I can see who / what is coming - and light can get in, which is the reason I did it.

I would frost the door, unless it's quite far from the shower.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
I did that for a week.

My brother was more scared that someone would hide inside the shower and leap out to scare him.  As funny as that would be, none of the kids ever did that or even suggested it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
I did that for a week.

My brother was more scared that someone would hide inside the shower and leap out to scare him.  As funny as that would be, none of the kids ever did that or even suggested it.

In a military training course, my husband learned to always leave the shower curtain open for this reason (well not to "scare" him...)
During that course, I visited him and we went on a trip with two friends and had a connecting room.  He managed to beat us back to the rooms, and got into their room, despite learning it days earlier, they had not opened their shower curtain. He hid there and scared the crap out of them.  I do wonder what he would have done if one of them rushed to go the bathroom though...that takes it to creepy sexual predator territory. Thankfully he scared them before either did that!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »
I did that for a week.

In a military training course, my husband learned to always leave the shower curtain open for this reason (well not to "scare" him...)
During that course, I visited him and we went on a trip with two friends and had a connecting room.  He managed to beat us back to the rooms, and got into their room, despite learning it days earlier, they had not opened their shower curtain. He hid there and scared the crap out of them.  I do wonder what he would have done if one of them rushed to go the bathroom though...that takes it to creepy sexual predator territory. Thankfully he scared them before either did that!

Wait, you mean there are people who leave an opaque shower curtain closed? and leave the house?

No way; too creepy. My boogeymen can damn well hide in the closet like civilized serial killers. :)

(Seriously, I would never leave one shut unless clear - that's not even at a conscious level.)

surfhb

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 01:36:31 PM »
Not to take a crap on the badassisty parade here but isn't time a factor here?    How much time was spent to save $5-10? 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »
Not to take a crap on the badassisty parade here but isn't time a factor here?    How much time was spent to save $5-10?

Depends what else you might have done with that time.  If it was instead of sitting on the couch watching TV, good for the original poster. If it was instead of picking up a shift at a second job, maybe not so much.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »
Wait, you mean there are people who leave an opaque shower curtain closed? and leave the house?

No way; too creepy. My boogeymen can damn well hide in the closet like civilized serial killers. :)

(Seriously, I would never leave one shut unless clear - that's not even at a conscious level.)

When I first moved to this house, I got cable again after not having it for years.  I watched A LOT of back episodes of Law and Order/SVU and Criminal Minds in a short space of time.  Then one day, I got home late, and realized that I hadn't locked my door properly - the door wasn't pulled shut fully, so the lock wasn't engaged. 

Do you realize how often on TV someone is raped or murdered by someone who hides in a closet or in the attic?  Lots.  I was terrified.  Even though (at the time) I had two dogs - one pitbull (super friendly) and one mastiff mix who wants to attack everything that moves, so I assume my house is very low on the list of houses an intruder would choose to enter.  The logical part of my brain knew that there was no way anyone was in the house, but I couldn't turn it off.  I looked in every closet, even under the bathroom sink and in the lower kitchen cupboards.  Twice.  And yes, I checked behind the shower curtain.  I just barely stopped myself from dragging out a ladder and checking through the attic hatch.  It was ridiculous.  And irrational.  But I just couldn't rest until I'd given the house a thorough check.

(spoiler alert:  There was no serial killer in my closet.  Or in the shower.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 03:02:44 AM »

Depends what else you might have done with that time.  If it was instead of sitting on the couch watching TV, good for the original poster. If it was instead of picking up a shift at a second job, maybe not so much.

Coulda been taking a shower with that kinda time, reckon?

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 07:57:20 AM »

I just drop mine into a bucket of bleach water for while and it comes out clean and stain free.

jkitiara

• Stubble
    • My journal: The Most Expensive City in the US and How I Got Here
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
LOL. This whole thread is kinda my favorite.

I never knew people specifically left their shower curtain pulled back. I leave mine pulled closed so it will dry.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
LOL. This whole thread is kinda my favorite.

I never knew people specifically left their shower curtain pulled back. I leave mine pulled closed so it will dry.

It'll dry halfway open, and then you can see the knife coming....

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »

When I first moved to this house, I got cable again after not having it for years.  I watched A LOT of back episodes of Law and Order/SVU and Criminal Minds in a short space of time.  Then one day, I got home late, and realized that I hadn't locked my door properly - the door wasn't pulled shut fully, so the lock wasn't engaged. 

Do you realize how often on TV someone is raped or murdered by someone who hides in a closet or in the attic?  Lots.  I was terrified.  Even though (at the time) I had two dogs - one pitbull (super friendly) and one mastiff mix who wants to attack everything that moves, so I assume my house is very low on the list of houses an intruder would choose to enter.  The logical part of my brain knew that there was no way anyone was in the house, but I couldn't turn it off.  I looked in every closet, even under the bathroom sink and in the lower kitchen cupboards.  Twice.  And yes, I checked behind the shower curtain.  I just barely stopped myself from dragging out a ladder and checking through the attic hatch.  It was ridiculous.  And irrational.  But I just couldn't rest until I'd given the house a thorough check.

(spoiler alert:  There was no serial killer in my closet.  Or in the shower.)

Nah.  All you'll get in the real world is a harmless homeless woman: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24889337/ns/world_news-weird_news/t/homeless-woman-lived-mans-closet-year/

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:57 AM »
I bought a polyester one from IKEA that in theory you're supposed to use a plastic liner with... but the polyester is fairly water impenetrable (gets wet but won't leak through), and we just go without the liner. Its durable enough to go through the wash...

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
I bought a polyester one from IKEA that in theory you're supposed to use a plastic liner with... but the polyester is fairly water impenetrable (gets wet but won't leak through), and we just go without the liner. Its durable enough to go through the wash...
Pr$ce?
Does it have the clear panel at the top for light (and seeing who's hiding in there or coming to attack you when you're in the shower)?
Will you leave it open or closed?!?!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Last I checked, Wal-mart had frosted solid plastic curtain/liners, same price as the clear liner. Or is the clear section really that important to you?

It's not totally opaque, so you should still be able to tell if Norman is hiding out in there ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:51:31 AM by dcheesi »