Author Topic: Share Your Work Perks!  (Read 25777 times)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
Share Your Work Perks!
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
Hi!
I recently was given permission from my day job to use the company Sam's Club membership for my personal use.  This will help me save in some aspects.
I have a few other fun work perks (option for a company car, leftover dibs from meetings, free coffee, etc...), which I appreciate but don't wanna hog this whole post with, I wanna hear what perks other people enjoy from work.... maybe I'll be inspired to ask for some other goodies!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
Re: Share Your Work Perks!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
I can work remotely all the time (except occasionally going in for meetings), set my own schedule, and work part time without losing my benefits. 

My company contributes 9% of my salary to retirement, whether I contribute or not.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
My office has a huge, well-stocked pantry where everything is priced at cost.  I can get 8 oz of milk, some frozen White Castles, an orange, and a pretzel snack bag for $1.25.  There's plenty of variety, so I always mix it up or make a special request.  It's on the honor system, so I just keep a tab going and pay as I get cash.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 04:43:41 PM »
My side gig lets me take free college classes up to the number of credits I teach. Main job also has a tuition reimbursement up to a certain dollar amount. Too bad I don't have time to take any classes.

Through my main job I also get discounts at local movie theaters and hotels, as well as access to a really nice, cheap company gym.

Baboo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »
Free fitness room, free coffee, emp discounts on most hotels, sporting event tickets, and metro.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »
An hour per day to workout, on the time clock.

Tax-free food and goods at the company store.

30% of my salary isn't taxed (woot!)

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »
We have a free gym and free fitness classes. I have a company cell phone. I have at least one meeting per week with a free lunch.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
These fitness discounts/credits are awesome!!
Did anyone have to negotiate any of these perks, or did everyone have them come with the job?
I'm curious about negotiating some extra perks at some point and hearing from those who have.

Thanks!

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »
Did anyone have to negotiate any of these perks, or did everyone have them come with the job?
I'm curious about negotiating some extra perks at some point and hearing from those who have.

Thanks!

Our gym is on site and therefore included for all employees. It's part of the overall Wellness program they run.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 07:46:10 PM »
Today I sent a 2 day air UPS package for $6 under our discount instead of the retail cost of $25

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
I'm a federal employee.  We don't even get free coffee.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
Housing, including utilities for some staff; gym; breakfast/lunch; company phone; access to a cabin in mountains; affordable on site daycare; gas supplement; etc.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »
Our client gets at least one four day weekend off every month.   Unless something is really pressing (and it rarely is!), we get paid time off for those Fridays and Mondays.   Some Mondays are regular holidays, some aren't.

That's been so very awesome the last few years!

I don't have to pee in a cup, unlike our clients.   I would pass the test but that doesn't mean I want the hassle, either.

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 09:45:35 PM »
Beer fridge is always stocked. I'm sure there are others but this is certainly the most important.

iTellStories

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 06:40:53 AM »
I'm a flight attendant, and I can travel the world for free.  I also share this benefit with my mom and my best friend.  It's standby, but if I don't get on one flight, I can just hop on the next one!

Baboo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »

Thanks!
Also part of our wellness initiative.  A committee was formed, donations solicited, some equipment recycled from various sources. We took a room in the facility and had it transformed into our fitness room.  Employees can use it any time outside of their work hours.

SharkStomper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 08:49:32 PM »
When I'm not traveling for work I work from home.  We've downsized to 1 car and I save a ton of money by having no commute and eating lunch at home.  When traveling I get .gov per diem, OT, hotel and airline points.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 09:55:44 PM »
Perks they offer, or perks I give myself??  <wink>   

The one I use the most is free candles.  I don't burn them myself, but my family and friends love them.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 10:12:28 PM »
I get ten sick days, two bereavement days, and three personal days per year and any unused days get rolled over as sick days for the next year. Most of my co-workers take advantage of this to take lots of "mental health days", but I've been banking everything for a rainy day. I don't qualify for disability insurance so these sick days could possibly save my ass if I ever get seriously sick.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
Free tuition at any public college or university in the state (as long as I pass all the classes)
Gym access for $40 a year
Um.. Free business cards and an office to work in. :)
Some limited and competitive travel funds to present at conferences
Access to an academic library and interlibrary and reciprocal access nationwide - this is a big deal, as much as the tuition.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 08:56:03 AM »
- 5 weeks off (instead of the 4 mandated here by law) per year (paid)
- possibility to work part time
- home office for 1 day for me and another colleague - they plan to expand that
- free coffee (I don't care because I don't drink it)
- a chocolate egg at Easter
- a gift card on your birthday (for a horribly expensive store)
- a gift basket with food for Christmas

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 04:46:49 PM »

Do you resell the gift card?  Every time someone gives me a gift card, I resell it.  Ha.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 05:48:06 PM »
*2% 401k match
*Free recreation center access (pool, fitness classes and equipment)
*Work will pay for college courses that pertain to the job
*Random fitness related things... ($20 to do the wellness check, movie tickets for maintaining weight over the holidays, stuff like that)
*Snack drawer... we work long days and a package of pistachios gets you through sometimes.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »
My Iphone addiction is supported

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 11:48:41 PM »
Down time where I'm allowed to work on my own stuff (like quilting!), read, etc.
Two weeks off every ten weeks in exchange for using 16 hours of vacation time (I work a rotating shift with a weird schedule.  I love it.)
All the exercise I want (work does not provide equipment, but some employees have set up a small weights gym, and I have a kick scooter I ride around when I feel like it.  I could spend most of a shift walking and doing stairs if I wanted--I don't have a desk job and as long as I do my rounds and duties when required, everyone is happy.)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 12:05:23 AM »
Discounted health insurance, free magazines, free food from the company chefs, free flu shots, regular drinks in the office (paid for by the company or the boss), and generous annual leave entitlements.

My husband would win this thread (as Marty would verify), but his profession is small and his perks are distinctive, and he prefers to keep a low profile online.

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 12:23:39 AM »
-25% more PTO than the law requires
-Fully paid dental premiums.
-50 cents per mile paid driving to & home from work- One round trip per wk. Check= $50-$62.50 per mo
-4% Company match - 401k
-25K life insurance policy-fully paid. Discounted 50% if/when I buy additional coverage up to 100K
-65% premium paid for an accident policy
-Catered lunch 2x per year during trainings
-1.5x pay for Holidays
-Downtime where I list items for Ebay & Amazon.
-Fully paid catastrophic medical plan-Kaiser Plan: Silver 70 HMO 1000/50 with chiro/acup
-Gift Cards- Twice per year, $50 each for Target
-Employee Assistance Program- Over the phone professional advice provided by aTherapist or Attorney
-Vision Insurance - $2 per month
-Free CPR & First Aid Classes taken during work hrs every 2 yrs

The Dental plan saved us about 5K in the last 12 months vs. paying out of pocket for work done.
I hope the company will allow me to sign up next year though we cost them a ton this year.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:06:13 AM by Erica »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 03:13:54 AM »
I am an expat, and work is very demanding but the perks make it hard to repatriate
 - 6 weeks vacation (compared to 4 back home)
 - housing paid for. This is a huge financial benefit.
 - annual flights back home
 - Full medical coverage (all countries) for me and DW
 - life insurance cover

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 06:26:37 AM »
Unlimited PTO (within reason)
Flexible on working from home if needed
Free Coffee
Catered Lunches/Meetings
Full blown gym with indoor/outdoor basketball, tennis, racquetball
Towel Service
On site post office, bank, dry cleaner, LMT/Chiro
Covered Parking Garage
Tons of free professional development programs
subsidized health plans
subsidized defensive driving
Incentive/Training trips to cool places

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
Our "office" is actually just a house, which I rent the upper half of at a steep discount.  Also no commute.  $30 a month phone subsidy.  Free home (Office) internet.   3 months off per year (not paid, but I still consider it a perk haha)

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
Healthcare premiums for employee paid by the company
Longevity bonus for each year you work past 7 years with the company (they get progressively larger until you retire)
Between sick and vacation time, I get about 35 days off a year if I use it all (I use vacation and roll over sick leave so I had two paid 12 week maternity leaves and additional surgery recoveries that were fully paid)
Discounted tuition if I take college classes
18% discount off my cell phone plan
Negotiated rates for some computer purchases

My current supervisor is very flexible and has a "family first" attitude. So it is no problem for me to come in an hour late to take my kids to speech therapy and just make up the time by working through lunch.

Beginning in July, I will have a 2 block commute to my new office! We are a one car family so this means I can start laundry during my lunch break or just walk home and watch TV or clean to get away from my desk. Right now I just pack lunch and work while eating most days.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »
$65 per month for parking - I park in a free lot .75mi from the office so I pocket the annual $780 plus get some exercise
Free gym membership for myself and the wife
Tuition reimbursement for applicable majors
4% match on 401k
$1,200 match on HSA

alex trebeck's mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »
$1000/quarter for hotel stays (started at $500 and grows by $100 every year).

It has really been great for staying in hotels I wouldn't otherwise because of price. I've also been able to gift hotel stays to family members and friends when they've been in need (relative in hospital, family wants to be nearby but wouldn't otherwise pay for a hotel) or just for fun (brother and family go on a road trip).

That has lead ot one perk that's not explicit: extended work trips coupled with hotel stay perk above can pretty much lead to free vacation. Especially if I can bring my wife with airline miles accrued on previous work trips.

lchu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »
When I was an administrative assistant at a small office, all of our office supply orders and travel reservations were done online and paid using a corporate AmEx card.  I would run the order through the uPromise website to collect the extra 5-10% towards my student loans.  In the year I worked there, I collected an extra $600 towards my loans that I wouldn't have made otherwise.

They also reimbursed subway fare for work related business (taking documents to/from a job site, going out to pick up the boss' lunch/suit, etc), so we would divide out the various trips so all of the admin staff got their monthly subway cards paid for through reimbursable trips.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »
I travel a good bit for work, and with credit card churning I normally get several free tickets per year. This year I went round-trip to Mexico for free, and also got 2 round-trip tickets to Paris for this fall.

I get to work from home. Most of my cell phone bill is covered. We get to take as much vacation time as we want/as our boss agrees. I just had 2 weeks off and it was great!

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
my work has been really shitty recently, and I've hated it. I've lost 2 weeks/year vacation and they are taking any our offices so I can just stand in the hall all day, removing all bonuses/holiday presents, along with some other hassles. I'm going to try and think of good things for a minute:
free coffee finally
still 5 weeks vacation a year
free parking
free gym and rec room
free continuing ed in my field
free travel to conferences (which I see as a hassle honestly, I have a young family)
6% contribution to my 403
    Side note, we just lobbied to change providers and I think we're saving 1% a year on fees!
sometimes food, not usually worth it
I don't work that hard
I'm posting this during working hours...

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »
I'm a federal employee.  We don't even get free coffee.

But your pensions are amazing! As an expat I envy you, the need to jerry-rig a future independent of a single job/country is what brought me to this site.

Perks as an 'overseas hire' (artist for an educational foundation):
* free art studio
* basic art supplies
* r/t plane ticket to home country every 2 years
* 12 weeks holiday/year (spread out)
* health and dental ins covered
* housing allowance
* Unpaid or flex-time off for art projects/exhibitions overseas
* Exhibitions on our campuses, free publicity for our personal artwork and artwork done for the foundation, and some financial support for exhibition materials
* 10% (first contract) to 20% (2nd onward) salary bonus for end of contract retention
* Relocation allowance
* Mid-contract airfare allowance

My salary isn't huge but it's fine with the housing allowance. Everything adds up to the ability to plan long-term which is something most contemporary artists have a hard time doing unless they're working with a generous gallery, for a university, or have a partner supporting them.

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »
No. I normally do not shop at Target but stock up on TP, Tuna and Papertowels with the gift cards :)
Do you resell the gift card?  Every time someone gives me a gift card, I resell it.  Ha.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:54:32 PM by Erica »

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 05:25:24 AM »
Over 30 days off including earned leaves, casual leaves and sick leaves (not includign weekends or hoidays). We can carry forward the earned leaves we don't use upto 30.
Variety of coffee and tea for free
A fully paid for phone connection
gift cards for Diwali
Rewards for completing a certain amount of year in the company
HO is blessed with a pantry where someone would make sandwiches, instant pasta etc for quite reasonable prices and even more variety of beverages

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »
Local government employee. Perks include:
- up to $500/year tuition reimbursement
- flexible part-time work schedule  (this is,a bit of an anomaly and is 100% at the discretion of my boss and his boss), with pro-rated benefits.
- reasonable healthe care, dental, & vision coverage.
- free flu shots and other immunizations at our public health clinics
- wellness program, which includes a free fitbit.
- reimbursement for training registration and conferences
- family-first leave policies.
- pretty good vacation and sick leave benefits
- reasonable pension with 20 years of service or more (I will not qualify for full pension, but will get some).

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »
I can work remotely all the time

My only perk worth bragging about! I have been working remotely and part-time (10-15 hours a week) since May 2016. This allows me to take off for 6 months from September to March (we did a road camping trip to Mexico last winter, and driving to Guatemala in the fall). I have my laptop and as long as I have internet and cell phone access, I can do my job as if I were in the office. In the summer, I go back to the city where my office is located for 6 months, but I still have the option to work either at home (I house-sit to cut on costs) or at the office if I feel like it. While there, I also have a couple of other gigs to supplement my income, one of which involves taking people with disabilities on outdoors adventures like snowshoeing, day hikes, canoeing, camping, etc. I wouldn't trade this arrangement for double my salary, it allows me to earn a decent income while having fun and plenty of time to travel with my DW.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
Aside from the "normal" perks (vacation, health benefits, retirement benefits, etc), one perk I really appreciate:  disposable cups/plates/plasticware, that facilitates bringing leftovers from home.

Also, once per week, the bosses buy lunch for everyone, and we sit around a conference table discussing invention ideas and ideas for new businesses.

Maurits28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »
I'm working as an expat, and feel very fortunate:
- Housing paid for (I get a budget, I rent 35% cheaper)
- Full global medical health care paid for the family
- Car from work, including insurance, unlimited gas etc.
- Annually two business class tickets home for every family member (it is a budget, so we fly on miles or Economy and bank the difference)
- 30 holidays a year, plus 2 days to return home
- Gym, pool, sport classes and company hospital
- Phone
- A myriad of other financial compensations to make life abroad easier
- Company savings account which gives still 3.5% interest, versus 0.2% in Europe currently with normal banks

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
I get my own office. Sort of. :/ It has three walls and is missing the fourth wall/door right now. 401k would be nice...

There's also two microwaves!

Super jealous of all the PTO you guys get. I only get 8 days and that's after working a full year.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »
I used to get paid a bonus every paycheck to NOT carry health insurance. Sadly it disappeared as the corporate mindset has set in.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
Free gym in my building
Free access to a world class academic library
30 days paid vacation
Big chunk of my pay isn't taxed
Generous pension
Free healthcare while on active duty
Reasonable healthcare after I retire
Free college for myself or family member
Discounted grocery store with no tax
Lots of discounts for being military

edited to add: I used to get to fly a $40 million helicopter, that was a pretty cool perk!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:33:33 AM by davisgang90 »

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
Gym
free coffee, breakfast, lunch most days
Work clothing, shoe subsidy
Free AC
Paid vaca... lots of it, hard part is using it.
Previously: bike subsidy. This has died.
Dedicated electric vehicle parking with free charging

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »
I work for a Tech company, so we get a lot of the Silicon Valley-ish perks, without the HCOL from actually having to pay to live in the Bay Area.

Stocked kitchen for free, both substantial meal-type food and snack-type stuff. I basically eat breakfast and lunch for free every day.
High-quality, locally roasted coffee plus fancy espresso machine
Beer fridge + beer (and kombucha) on tap
Free catered lunch for various office-wide events, generally once or twice a month-ish
AWESOME view of the capitol, lakes, and downtown area
Real cheap, high quality HMO with $0 deductible
10 paid holidays/year
hourly/nonexempt employees get 21 days vacation accrued per year, plus 80 hours/year sick time; salaried/exempt employees get unlimited PTO
12 weeks paternity/maternity leave
WFH or WFRemote flexibility
$120/month reimbursement for parking, plus pre-tax options for other commuter benefits
$70/month phone stipend
401k, no match currently, but access to Vanguard Admiral Funds with no extra fees on top
15% discounted ESPP program with no holding period (we can sell immediately)
RSU grants with regular refreshes
Corporate discount with a variety of local and national services and stores (we're based out of CA so most of the benefits are for CA residents, but still a few good deals here and there)
Annual company picnic in the summer and a holiday party in December, both of which involve a ton of awesome activities plus great food and drinks
The company will donate my time to go volunteer, on the clock. I can spend 3-5 hours every month or two cleaning up parks, volunteering at food pantries, etc and get paid for it.
$1500/year professional development fund available
Udemy.com subscription - others like codeschool, etc, can be obtained too.

Seriously, the perks/benefits for my company are INSANE. I love my job for a lot of reasons but these definitely help make it as awesome as it is. I've seen coworkers leave for other jobs because the base pay was higher (like, $60-65k instead of~$55k) but the perks were far fewer or nonexistent, and I can't help but think they were being shortsighted by chasing dollar signs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:57:00 PM by turketron »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52:57 PM »
Dirt cheap (comparatively speaking) health/vision/dental insurance
$700/yr toward HSA
5 free EAP consultations
25 PTO days
7 paid holidays
On-site clinic ($30 for people with HSA, otherwise free)
Paid Travel/AD&D/Disability/Life insurance
Free Weight Watchers
3% 401k contribution even if you don't contribute
6% 401k match
Fairly low-cost index funds in 401k plan
Flexibility to work at home, at the downtown office, or the suburban office
$60/mo public transit subsidy
Pre-tax public transit funds
$15/mo cell phone reimbursement
$10,000/yr graduate tuition reimbursement (90%)
Lynda.com subscription
1 industry-specific conference per year (this is specific to my department, not the whole company)
1 industry-specific training per year (also department specific)
$250 charitable donation (contingent on completing 25 volunteer hours per year)
$550 charity match
Paid volunteer activities
Free admission to some Chicago-area museums
Occasional catered lunches (2-3 times per month)
Misc that I don't use (adoption assistance, ESPP 5% discount, 10 wks paid parental leave, $25/mo on-site gym, 2-mi jogging path, on-site counselor, free coffee at downtown office, discounted legal assistance, pre-tax dependent care account, subsidized retiree insurance)

financial_muse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Debt Free Millennial On Fire
    • Financial Muse
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »
My job paid for my CPA license.  $5k in total for exams and study materials.  I am not going to complain about that ...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!