Author Topic: Share your homemade pizza  (Read 46945 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Share your homemade pizza
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2017, 01:33:50 AM »
Posting to torture myself on my low carb diet

kiwiozearlyretirement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 08:58:49 AM »
We make pizza in a weber bbq - it does a perfect job

I always start with a green pizza. The sauce is a variation on salsa verde - super healthy and the kids love it. I got the idea from italy where they make pizza with very simple ingredients i.e. no more than 4 things. They make very plain pizza - pizza bianco (white pizza) with olive oil, salt and either rosemary or garlic or  oregano.
So my green pizza is always the simple starter

I make the green sauce in the thermomix

2 cloves garlic
teaspoon capers
green leaves from the garden. e.g. handful of mint, handful parsley, handful oregano, handful kale or silver beet or sweet potato greens, handful of rocket or basil. basically anything green - even if it is bitter (rocket and kale can get this way in summer heat)
blend all add olive oil (at least 1/4 cup)
optional toasted sunflowers (or less mustachian option pine nuts)
optional parmesan
optional lemon juice

various pizzas in between: smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers, capsicum, preserved lemon. salami, zucchini, tomato, pine nut, olive

I always finish with a dessert pizza - this is fun as there are so many options
chocolate sauce, berries and cream cheese
maple syrup,white chocolate buttons, sliced bananas, pawpaw or mango
pomegranate molasses, figs, grapes and grape syrup (boiled down grape juice)
yoghurt, apple, walnuts, brown sugar
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:57:19 AM by kiwiozearlyretirement »

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »
We have started using soft tortilla shells for the pizza crust.  Add our normal toppings and bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes.  Comes out crispy and tasty like thin crust pizza.  Easy, inexpensive and cuts down on carbs.  And even the kids like it.  Yum.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 05:48:29 PM »
I don't have the skills of the OP. but here's mine, before and after cooking:

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2017, 06:59:17 AM »

I have been on NSNG (No Sugar No Grain) and love pizza. (just over 30lbs down so far)  I bought Eat Happy since it is based around the lifestyle.  She uses Almond meal but the crust is great and totally satisfies my pizza craving. She credits the below fathead recipe.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/fathead-pizza-crust-low-carb-keto-gluten-free-nut-free/

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
Regarding pizza peels - I got one with a slot at the handle end, so you can put a loop of fabric through and slide the dough off it. (Not my photo)

And now my contributions to pizza world: A chive blossom pizza ready for the oven (with sage around the border) - I like using the blossoms because it tastes like onion but looks like something from Dr. Suess. And a "Markdown pizza" - using ridiculously cheap ingredients to make individual pesto-spinach-fresh mozarella-goat cheese-bacon pizzas.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:35:27 AM by Jakejake »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »
Posting to follow

fatcow240

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
I really enjoyed the mozzarella pizza here.  I am going to try the cast iron I saw above for cooking next time.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »
Has anyone had success with freezing homemade pizzas? Any tips?

Thinking of giving this a try this weekend:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-frozen-pizza-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-186527

Did anyone ever try this, or have other success freezing pizzas?

Also, has anyone made lots of dough ahead of time and frozen that? Making the dough seems to be the most time consuming operation, so freezing a bunch ahead of time and defrosting seems like a great option.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
Dough will keep for at least a week in the crisper drawer.

I made the "Cooks Illustrated" Pizza -- Hot hot stone, thin crust, brused with oil, real cheese.  Man.  It was like using the oven to fry bread and it was SO good.

Too bad I have trouble with baker's yeast, and the crisped / almost charred (yummy) bits left so much smoke in the kitchen our eyes were watering badly.

Kids said it was the best pizza since we went to the fancy wood oven place.   Not sure about going through that again, though.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »
It looks like this article on the same Kitchn website talks about how to freze pizza dough: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-freeze-pizza-dough-178431#_

I'll probably try this sometime soon and report back... hopefully with pictures.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 11:15:01 PM »
I've made pizza from scratch at least eight times since this thread started. Thanks for the inspiration! Just sharing a few lessons learned along the way. The first few times I did this, I set off every fire alarm in the house. Damn, it sucks to have to open every door and window when the heat is on! Through trial and error, we have managed to eliminate the piercing shrill by NOT putting the stones in the oven while it is pre-heating. Instead, I let the oven get to temperature while the dough rises. Then I slip the stones in for about 10 minutes or so while I pat out the dough and prepare the toppings. Then I pull the stones out, slap the dough on, top as quickly as I can, then slip back into the oven for about 6 minutes. No more alarms, and great pizza! We've already had it once this week, but I'm craving it again, just writing this.

BTW, I use cornmeal liberally and I use 100% White Wheat King Arthur Flour. The cornmeal never burns, and I typically crank my oven up to 495 degrees.

Finally, true confession time here. I once threw away a pizza stone that I'd found at a garage sale because I couldn't get it clean! What an idiot! I sure wish I still had it. Live and learn.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2017, 04:36:30 AM »
What do people bake their pizzas on.. stone? ... pan?

I use a metal baking pan, mostly for ease of use and cleaning but, I need to take my pizza making up to the next level!

I used a stone years ago but, it broke and I never replaced it.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2017, 06:42:18 AM »
I use a stone now that I just keep in the oven all the time, but I've also used a metal pizza pan with perforations on the bottom and they both worked well for me.

Bytowner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
Stone all the way, with plenty of cornmeal. I use the oven less these days - not hot enough. I use my propane grill outside. Gets hotter, no smoke alarm, and it's at waist level, so getting the pizza on the stone is less awkward.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
I use a stone as well. As Dicey notes above, these are typically easy to find at garage sales or on CL if you don't want to buy a new one.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2017, 11:21:47 PM »
Then I slip the stones in for about 10 minutes or so while I pat out the dough and prepare the toppings. Then I pull the stones out, slap the dough on, top as quickly as I can, then slip back into the oven for about 6 minutes. No more alarms, and great pizza! We've already had it once this week, but I'm craving it again, just writing this.

BTW, I use cornmeal liberally and I use 100% White Wheat King Arthur Flour.

Great tip ==> the smoke in my eyes was enough to prevent a second day of pizza, but with this idea, maybe it is on the horizon for us again.

Can you elaborate -- what is "White Wheat Flour" that is different from regular flour ?(or maybe it is just a regional name for the same thing I know.... but if you have another secret, please share!)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2017, 05:53:46 AM »
Then I slip the stones in for about 10 minutes or so while I pat out the dough and prepare the toppings. Then I pull the stones out, slap the dough on, top as quickly as I can, then slip back into the oven for about 6 minutes. No more alarms, and great pizza! We've already had it once this week, but I'm craving it again, just writing this.

BTW, I use cornmeal liberally and I use 100% White Wheat King Arthur Flour.

Great tip ==> the smoke in my eyes was enough to prevent a second day of pizza, but with this idea, maybe it is on the horizon for us again.

Can you elaborate -- what is "White Wheat Flour" that is different from regular flour ?(or maybe it is just a regional name for the same thing I know.... but if you have another secret, please share!)

It's a King Arthur Product. I haven't used it, but if I was writing a marketing tagline - all the properties that you love in white flour, with the wholesomeness of whole wheat. So, more bran, fiber, etc.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2017, 06:15:42 AM »
During my low-wage work days, I had a job for a while at Pizza Hut and I adapted their assembly line techniques to use in my own kitchen. Instead of a big industrial size dough mixer, I use my bread machine on the dough setting. I spread the sauce evenly with the back of a wooden spoon and use a reduced amount of cheese. I actually just use enough cheese to keep the toppings stuck to the top of the pizza, because I cover the pizza with overlapping turkey pepperoni in the style of Pizza Hut's pepperoni lover's pizza.

When altering the dough to make it whole wheat and using reduced calorie and reduced fat ingredients, it makes the pizza a lot healthier than it otherwise would be. Who knew that anything from low-wage work would actually be helpful in everyday life?

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2017, 06:16:16 AM »

Why did you get smoke using a stone?  That's not normal. My stone lives in the oven and unless something is spilled on it there is no smoke.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »
Possibly because one of our favorite "sauces" is pesto. The olive oil slides off the crust, onto the stone, and then to the bottom of the oven. Messy, but so, so worth it!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »
I set off our smoke alarm making pizza on a stone this week. Sauce sliding off the pizza's edge was the problem. When I use a pan with a lip, I'm more likely to put a raised edge on the crust.

I told my husband we can never move out of our single family home to a retirement community because I can't be responsible for hundreds of 80 year olds having to evacuate their apartments every time I want pizza.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »
Well yeah, you have to be careful not to slop the sauce onto the stone. It does take some practice.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

Why did you get smoke using a stone?  That's not normal. My stone lives in the oven and unless something is spilled on it there is no smoke.

It's the black parts of the crust and such that really cause the smoke  (not much, but enough blackened parts to matter).   Maybe the stone has residue, too.  Maybe not, but worth a try.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
Well yeah, you have to be careful not to slop the sauce onto the stone. It does take some practice.
Nope, not slopping it on the stone before baking, the pesto is literally sliding off the crust, onto the stone, then on to the bottom of the oven. Next time stone is used, residual oil is released as stone heats, then smoke happens, then lotta lotta noisy noise.

It's the black parts of the crust and such that really cause the smoke  (not much, but enough blackened parts to matter).   Maybe the stone has residue, too.  Maybe not, but worth a try.
Hmm, another "no" vote. We never have "black parts of the crust". If we did, I think that would happen later in the baking process, not while the stones are heating.

We love thin-style, not much-bread-with-nothing-on-it, type pizza. Maybe the small margins are causing the problem.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
Nope, not slopping it on the stone before baking, the pesto is literally sliding off the crust, onto the stone, then on to the bottom of the oven. Next time stone is used, residual oil is released as stone heats, then smoke happens, then lotta lotta noisy noise.
Same here. The sauce (pesto or tomato) gets spooned onto the dough, with an inch or so safety margin of no sauce. Then it goes in the oven. Then the pesky dough rises, the center goes up just enough to create a mini sauce-mudslide down the edges in some areas. It's like my pizza stone is trying really hard to make a California pizza but doesn't quite get the whole concept.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »

Hmmm.  Well I have nothing to offer as this has never been a problem for me.  Don't know what's up with that.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2017, 11:44:46 PM »

Hmm, another "no" vote. We never have "black parts of the crust". If we did, I think that would happen later in the baking process, not while the stones are heating.

We love thin-style, not much-bread-with-nothing-on-it, type pizza. Maybe the small margins are causing the problem.

LOL..  Dicey -- I meant that it was the black parts of MY pizza causing the smoke in MY kitchen.   You are likely much more accomplished at this super hot pizza thing than I am.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2017, 12:20:04 AM »

LOL..  Dicey -- I meant that it was the black parts of MY pizza causing the smoke in MY kitchen.   You are likely much more accomplished at this super hot pizza thing than I am.
Funnier than you know, GL I can take no credit for the actual transformation from dough to dinner. The Bonus Kid is actually in charge of baking the 'za. He has the expert eye/nose for achieving the perfect moment of crispy perfection. I make the dough and prep the toppings. We dress them together then he bakes while I clean up. Great team effort. No black parts ever, but no leftovers, either. Damn!

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
Every time we try making pizza we have a terrible time going from dough ball to a pizza crust.  It always ends up too thick and not very round.  Anyone have any tips?

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »

Me too.  Been meaning to try this recipe: http://www.uplateanyway.com/keto/stromboli/

It's a crust recipe the author uses for Stromboli.  1084 calories, 102g fat, 48g protein, 24g carb, 12g fiber (so 12g net carbs).  Plus toppings.  The almond/coconut flour "fathead" style recipes are also good.  Robb Wolf has a pizza recipe where he presses sausage in to a thin crust, bakes until it comes together, adds toppings and re-bakes to finish.. haven't tried this but it looks amazing!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2017, 11:38:21 AM »
For the crust:  8 cups mozzarella!  7 eggs!  Italian seasoning.
Mix.  Smooth it out on a pizza pan or pizza stone.  I oil the pan so it doesn't stick and make a hot mess.
Bake at 450 for 15 mins.

For the toppings:  Whatever, slap them on.  I use generic tomato sauce because it has little to no sugar.  I also use feta cheese most of the time.

Bake another 10 mins.

Yum, low in carbs.

crimwell

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2017, 05:47:53 PM »
One time I convinced my awesome cook wife to make Reuben sandwich style pizza: rye in the homemade dough, then we put grainy mustard and sauerkraut and sliced up corned beef on top, cover it with shredded Jarlsberg cheese. It was surprisingly really good, haven't done it again because we ended up getting a whole bunch of frozen pizza dough balls from Sam's club that took us a long time to finish.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2017, 10:05:55 PM »
I bought a pizza stone for $4.50 to day from the thift store.  I had been wanting one for pizza / bread baking alike.   Now to plan a pizza night!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
One time I convinced my awesome cook wife to make Reuben sandwich style pizza: rye in the homemade dough, then we put grainy mustard and sauerkraut and sliced up corned beef on top, cover it with shredded Jarlsberg cheese. It was surprisingly really good, haven't done it again because we ended up getting a whole bunch of frozen pizza dough balls from Sam's club that took us a long time to finish.
Please let her know that if you ever divorce her and leave her destitute, we have a place for her here.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2017, 12:04:46 PM »
Everyone's pizzas look delicious! Here are a few of our favorites: barbecue chicken, tomato/mozzarella, and stages of a Chicago style deep dish.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »
Had a very successful pizza night yesterday. We made 3 pizza's and I promptly forgot to take pictures of any of the pizza's until after we were done eating:

One thing- does anyone have any hints/tips for not making a ginormous mess when rolling out the dough? It was definitely worth it, but man did our counter-tops get covered in flour...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2017, 06:28:29 PM »
You could use a pastry cloth, a large silpat, or parchment to roll out. The parchment slides around a bit though.

I've never learned the stretch and twirl technique.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2017, 06:02:05 PM »
We like cooking pizza on the BBQ on a pan that looks like a larger version of the flat pan in front:  http://www.target.com/p/char-broil-174-3-piece-grill-management-mini-set/-/A-14256624

And we just recently started using Tipo 00 Italian pizza flour.  What a difference!!  Dough recipe:  2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups Tipo 00 flour in a large mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 tsp of sugar, about 1 tbsp of instant yeast, 1 cup of water (cold water nuked for about 40 seconds - test the water on the inside of your wrist to make sure it's lukewarm (not hot).

We roll the dough out very thin, then stretch it onto the lightly-greased perforated pans.  We dress with a light coat of tomato passata with fresh crushed garlic, anise seeds, oregano and fresh-grated mozzarella.

Then we each make our own pizza.  I like loads of herbs, onions, mushrooms, red peppers, olives and artichoke hearts, all sliced thin.  He likes mushrooms, a few onions and peppers, a few slices of organic ham, and bocconcini.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2017, 06:27:11 PM »
One thing- does anyone have any hints/tips for not making a ginormous mess when rolling out the dough? It was definitely worth it, but man did our counter-tops get covered in flour...
I use a garage-saled big plastic thingy that's designed for pie crusts. Works perfectly, because the biggest circle matches the size of our pizza stone. I don't use flour for rolling out the dough, I use cornmeal. Works better and is easier to clean up, IMO.

It looks like this, but I'm pretty sure mine's just plastic. It works well, though. When the crust is rolled out to the correct size, I shake it over the sink to remove excess cornmeal then invert the whole thing over and onto the hot stone.

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-4724-Measurements-Silicone/dp/B002NVEN48

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2017, 09:00:40 PM »
^Thanks! I'll have to see if I can figure something out.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2017, 11:32:33 PM »
No crust pizza. 8 servings.

Heat oven to 375.

1 lb (1/2 kilo) ground hamburger. (can be mixed with sausage if desired, I use 80% ground elk and 20% sausage)
Spread hamburger in bottom of pan. I use a 1/4 baking sheet. Smaller than a pizza pan, this will match up well with the 1lb of meat.

Cook meat for 15-20 minutes. Drain grease. Top with sauce and pepperoni, cheese, onions, peppers, mushrooms, olives... Pile it high!

Cook for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Enjoy :)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
I'm getting hungry reading this thread.  Lots of good recipes on here.

As for having perfectly round pizza... I gave up that goal long ago.  As long as it tastes good I don't care.  Make it in the shape of Florida, a beehive hairdo, or a trapezoid.  Whatever blows your skirt up.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »
I've got a batch of pizza dough proofing right now. I bought KA Whole Wheat Flour, because Winco didn't have the KA White Wheat Flour. I mixed it with some White Baking Flour I had in the pantry. Gotta say, it's not a smooth, elastic dough. Fingers crossed that it rises and bakes up into something palatable.

noodlestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
Last week we were getting ready to make pizza (dough was already set to go) and then the power went out for a couple of hours. Luckily we have a gas stove, so our oven still worked. It was pretty fun, we got to make our pizza with headlamps~

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »
I've got a batch of pizza dough proofing right now. I bought KA Whole Wheat Flour, because Winco didn't have the KA White Wheat Flour. I mixed it with some White Baking Flour I had in the pantry. Gotta say, it's not a smooth, elastic dough. Fingers crossed that it rises and bakes up into something palatable.

Yup, whole wheat flour makes lousy pizza dough.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
Reporting back to say the dough turned out fine. It still looked kinda weird after rising, but I didn't have a Dinner Plan B, so I bravely forged ahead. The dough had a strikingly cardboard-y feel, so I expected it would be rather tasteless, but it turned out fine. Apparently my posse agreed, because there were no leftovers ;-)

tc_traveler86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
Wanted to post and say "thanks for the inspiration"
These photos reminded me that I've wanted to try pizza in a cast-iron pan.  I've been experimenting since then (including making my own sauce!) with very tasty results.  Husband still wants to figure out how to make a authentic Chicago deep-dish, but all the recipes I've seen are more work than either of us want to bother....

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »
Our Safeway used to do a pound of "boneless chicken wings" for $5.  I'd get a package of those, cut them up, and make a pizza with ranch as the sauce, some kind of cheese, sliced roma tomatoes (fresh from the garden), and the boneless wings.  So good.

I'm sure I could make my own breaded chicken and add some buffalo sauce/seasoning, but haven't done that yet.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »
Last night, inspired by my newfound prowess with yeasty things, I made hamburger buns. Today, there is no evidence of their brief, but yummy, existence.