Author Topic: Share your homemade pizza  (Read 46943 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
Share your homemade pizza
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:04:28 PM »
I love to make pizza.  It's so much cheaper than carryout or delivery or frozen and if you know what you're doing it can be just as good if not better. 

Here's a few of my efforts, please share yours:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:15:49 PM by Pizzabrewer »

frugalkristen

• Stubble
Re: Share your homemade pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 08:08:42 PM »
No pic right now but my favorite - olive oil, caramelized onions, prosciutto, and crumbled blue cheese.  Top with arugula after cooking. Yum!  And you can get all the ingredients at Aldi!

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14:01 PM »
more (I'm making myself hungry):

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
I'll stop after this....

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:16:39 PM »
No pic right now but my favorite - olive oil, caramelized onions, prosciutto, and crumbled blue cheese.  Top with arugula after cooking. Yum!  And you can get all the ingredients at Aldi!

That sounds awesome.  I was already planning a trip to Aldi, this is now on my shopping list.

Thanks!

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 08:38:40 PM »
Yes I'm bad. Starting this thread inspired me to make another pizza:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:07:56 PM by Pizzabrewer »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »
Please stop.  You're killing me. 

(I love pizza!)

tryingtosave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 07:39:49 AM »
I made a cauliflower pizza with just cheese with my kids the other day. They will only eat plain cheese pizza. Although one bite into this and they threw the pizza down and asked for something else to eat. hahaha I will be the only one in the house eating low carb pizza I guess

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
That looks good, I love cauliflower!  How did you make it?

Near the end of the season there was a vendor at the local farmers market selling enormous, perfect heads of cauliflower for $1.  I made a bunch of soup and Indian food with them.  Now the best I can find is small, raggedy-looking heads for $2 or $3.

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »
Bought a house with a pizza oven and have been making our own.  Now wondering why I never had a wood burning pizza oven before.

Our new favorite is BBQ chicken:  Chicken with sweet baby rays, red onion, and Colby jack cheese.  Perfect blend of sweet and savory.

sn00py

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 10:29:14 AM »
We used to make a buffalo chicken pizza all the time that was delicious.  Any normal pizza with green chili (or jalapenos if you are not lucky enough to have access to good green chili) was always a favorite.

The toddler is allergic to dairy so our go to pizza right now is roasted cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, other veggies we need to use up, with a pesto-y base (not actual pesto as I don't like it), and olive oil drizzled on top, it is also delicious.

Since goat's milk and cow's milk have a similar protein make up we haven't tried any sheep/goat cheeses but we have been debating trying it out to see if she can handle it.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »
I've recently discovered the explosion of deliciousness that is cast-iron skillet pizza. Too calorie-heavy to make every week, but damn, it's good. Here's one I made with broccoli and pepperoni.

kaadalac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »
I would love to see some Dough recipes :)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »
I'll play - KAF Chicago-style recipe. Still like regular thin crust better. Those photos are offloaded though...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:30:53 PM by G-dog »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 12:44:35 AM »
How timely! This was last night's dinner. Recipe courtesy of With This Herring over on the things you make from scratch thread. If I can find it, I'll post a link. Sorry, the pizza was better than the lighting.

Link, Schmink. Here's WTH's actual recipe and instructions.

Here's the recipe/process I use for pizza.  We cut it into 8 pieces.  2 pieces is a decent meal.  Once you get good at it, you can make pizza in less than an hour.
  • Slice an 8-oz container of cheap mushrooms.  Slice any other veggies you may want to use.
  • Drizzle olive oil in skillet heated to medium, drop in mushrooms, drizzle in more oil, add some salt and pepper.  Let the mushrooms sit undisturbed until the water has come out of them, has boiled away, and they have started to sizzle once more.  Then scrape up and stir the mushrooms as they brown.  Add in any other veggies (bell pepper? onion?) that you want on the pizza.  Once those have lost a little water, turn off the burner/hob.
  • Mix:
    1 cup AP flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour (or more AP, if you don't have whole wheat)
    2 1/4 tsp (equivalent of 1 packet) quick-rise/bread machine yeast
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp basil
    in a big bowl.
  • Run the tap until the water is hot enough that it is just under the edge of uncomfortable, then mix in 1 cup of that tap water and 2 Tbsp olive oil.
  • Stir with a big wooden spoon.  Maybe you will have a little dry flour around the edges of the bowl, but that is okay.  Dump the dough out onto your counter that has had a layer of AP flour added.  Dust a little more AP flour over the top of the dough.  Knead the dough vigorously for at least five minutes.  You can add a little AP flour at a time if needed to keep the dough from sticking to your hands and the counter, but don't add more than the minimum.  Pizza dough is supposed to be a wetter dough.  No one can be too specific about how much flour you'll need because it depends on humidity in your house, among other things.
  • When you get sick of kneading, put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel (not terrycloth, something smooth that the dough won't eat).  Let it sit somewhere warm for 20 minutes or until you are tired of waiting.
  • Meanwhile, clean off the floury counter, wash what dishes you can, slice up some mozzerella (I usually use 8 oz sliced thinly with this much dough), grate some parmesan, get out the marinara sauce (or pizza sauce or spicy Fra Diavolo sauce!), and preheat the oven to 400°F.  Last, get out a rolling pin and the cookie sheet or pizza pan.
  • Eh, it's probably been long enough!  Roll out your pizza dough to the size of your metal cooking flat thing.  Once the oven is preheated, pop in just that crust for 7 minutes.
  • When the first bake is done, use a spoon to crush any massive air bubbles that may have turned half your pizza into a stupid balloon.  Cover the crust with sauce, then parmesan, then mozzerella, then your pan-fried veggies.  Bake for 7+ more minutes, at least until the mozz is melted, but if you want the mozz to brown a bit, that might be tasty.

I'm sure you could use a stand mixer for the dough, but I don't have one.  You really aren't going to mess up the dough much whatever you do, as it should be pretty flat bread ideally whatever happens.  The edges will naturally end up a little thicker than the middle, so you don't need to fuss with pinching them into a certain shape.

I use two 1-cup measuring cups: one for water, one for flour.  Then, I use the flour measuring cup to add flour a bit at a time to the dough when kneaded as needed (haha).  This way I don't have a big pile of flour off to the side that might be contaminated and never used.

I strongly recommend frying or otherwise cooking mushrooms and bell peppers before using them on pizza.  Mushrooms, the little stinkers, release a LOT of water when they are cooked.  That's fine in your pan, because the water boils away, but fresh mushrooms on your pizza will leave you with gross puddles on your cheese (or still-raw mushrooms).  Raw peppers are also pretty bad about this, but not as bad as mushrooms.

I cook the crust a bit before adding toppings because this seems to keep the crust from ending up soggy on top.

Make sure you like the sauce you chose for the pizza.  If you don't like the sauce, you won't like your pizza.

Once you've made this a couple times, you can make it a stuffed-crust pizza by rolling the dough out 1 inch wider on all sides, slicing another 8 oz of mozzerella into little logs, and folding those mozz logs into the edges of the dough.  Pinch it pretty well sealed all around, but don't worry if you get a massive mozz leak into the center of your pizza.

Another thing you can try later is to leave the basil and oregano out of the crust and top the crust (after first bake) with sliced tomatoes, salt and freshly ground pepper, lots of chopped garlic, chopped basil, parm cheese, and last mozz cheese.  (This has no sauce.)  It is pretty good with tasty ripe tomatoes, and the tomatoes don't release a lot of water.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
So, we have a thing we do on pizzas since I was young that some find weird (maybe just a Canadian thing ?)

For a meat lovers style pizza, instead of using pizza sauce or a white sauce, try using mustard (plain yellow, like French's)
Slather it on medium thick like you normally would with pizza sauce. When cooked, yellow mustard goes really creamy and mellows in flavor. Goes well with meat, onions and lots of cheese.

I will admit you have to like mustard to enjoy it but DW (who turned her nose up at it when we met) has come to like it as well.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
Mmmm pizza. I use this dough recipe with bread flour: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html . You can make it with all-purpose, but if you like the crust on the crispy side, use bread flour or a mixture.

I put the pizza stone in the oven and turn it up as high as it will go (550F, but not the broiler setting). I let it heat up for about an hour, and use cornmeal on the peel to decrease friction. Pizzas cook in about 10 minutes or less.

One delicious pizza that I made is topped with leftover pulled pork, extra barbecue sauce if you want, and cheese.

I'm looking for vegan pizza/flatbread recipes, and found this so far (have not tried it yet): http://www.theawesomegreen.com/very-green-vegan-flatbread-pizza/     

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »
So, we have a thing we do on pizzas since I was young that some find weird (maybe just a Canadian thing ?)

For a meat lovers style pizza, instead of using pizza sauce or a white sauce, try using mustard (plain yellow, like French's)
Slather it on medium thick like you normally would with pizza sauce. When cooked, yellow mustard goes really creamy and mellows in flavor. Goes well with meat, onions and lots of cheese.

I will admit you have to like mustard to enjoy it but DW (who turned her nose up at it when we met) has come to like it as well.

I've lived in 2 provinces and one territory in Canada, and visited several others, and I've never heard of such a thing.

(Is it possible that, ahem, it's not a weird Canadian thing, but just a weird thing?  No offence intended!  Do you know anyone else who does it?)

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
I've lived in 2 provinces and one territory in Canada, and visited several others, and I've never heard of such a thing.
(Is it possible that, ahem, it's not a weird Canadian thing, but just a weird thing?  No offence intended!  Do you know anyone else who does it?)

Yeah, a couple of people in the small Ontario farming town where I grew up. In fact, I think we originally got it from one of the neighbors. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »

Well, if you think about it, pizza dough is about the same as pretzel dough. Lots of people like mustard on their pretzels. I think I'll give it a try, sans meat, 'cause I'm a vegetarian. Hmmm,maybe I'll try it as a Super Bowl snack.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »
Great thread!

We make homemade pizza pretty often, usually we make "personal pan" style pizzas on stoneware plates.

This is the dough recipe we use:  Quick and Easy Pizza Dough  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20171/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust/

Delicious!  Sometimes I add some herbs to the crust, such as Italian seasoning or garlic.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »
So far as toppings:  Most of the time I skimp on cheese and put a lot of homemade sauce, onions, peppers, olives, and tomatoes.  Sometimes we put beans or cabbage.  Travelling abroad really broadened my ideas of acceptable pizza toppings, I guess.  In Israel, from an Arab store, I have ordered pizza with tuna and egg on it!

Meat is a rarity and scarce if present on our pizza.

Edited to add that I estimate the cost per person to be $2.30 and worth every penny, where "per person" serving size is half a pizza pan size pizza, or a thick personal pan pizza on a dinner plate.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:32:19 PM by Mikila »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 08:30:26 PM »

Yeah, a couple of people in the small Ontario farming town where I grew up. In fact, I think we originally got it from one of the neighbors. 

Totally interesting!  I wonder if it connects with a particular cultural background or something.  Or just a trial and error thing that caught the imagination of a few families, like yours! 

I remember years ago going to a wedding in BC (I grew up in Montreal and live in Toronto now) and at the wedding rehearsal dinner, got sick from the potato salad.  It had shrimp in it.  I'm allergic.  Never thought to ask if the potato salad had shrimp in it, 'cause I'd never heard of such a thing.  Neither has anyone else I've ever told that story too, though I haven't told enough people to say definitively that no one else has ever heard of it.  Guess some areas of the country or certain families can just have a local practice that others aren't familiar with.

Anyway, back to pizza.  I drive past a pizza place on the way home, and had been in the practice of stopping in once in a while to get a "walk-in special" - medium cheese pizza for $5.  Not a bad price for a couple of meals worth of pizza, but I'm doing an uber frugal month right now, so no pizza for me.

Have been confused about why, just the last couple days, I've been having incredibly strong pizza cravings every single time I drive by.  Oh, yeah ... probably because I keep seeing all your pictures of amazing pizza on this thread!

frugalfinancehippy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Finance Hippy
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
We used to make a buffalo chicken pizza all the time that was delicious.  Any normal pizza with green chili (or jalapenos if you are not lucky enough to have access to good green chili) was always a favorite.

The toddler is allergic to dairy so our go to pizza right now is roasted cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, other veggies we need to use up, with a pesto-y base (not actual pesto as I don't like it), and olive oil drizzled on top, it is also delicious.

Since goat's milk and cow's milk have a similar protein make up we haven't tried any sheep/goat cheeses but we have been debating trying it out to see if she can handle it.

We also have a child with dairy allergy -goat cheese was okay here but only just recently got brave enough to try that out. You can also try nutritional yeast for a topping (easy!)  or cashew cheese (not complicated but takes some pre planning of soaking the cashews). For a long time we just made a separate one without cheese for our child too.

On another note-

Also if you can make pizza dough you can make homemade foccacia bread so easily from the same recipe. Just poke your fingers into the dough and pour some live oil and sea salt on top (or get fancy and top with sauteed onions, garlic and then cheese)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 11:27:58 PM »

Well, if you think about it, pizza dough is about the same as pretzel dough. Lots of people like mustard on their pretzels. I think I'll give it a try, sans meat, 'cause I'm a vegetarian. Hmmm,maybe I'll try it as a Super Bowl snack.
Okay, we tried it today and the results were...meh. I thought it tasted kinda like a pretzel. DH took a bite and said it tasted like a hot dog. I used a pizza stone, so it only took seven minutes. The mustard did not go creamy  or particularly mellow. Maybe I used too much? It was French's mustard, btw.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »
I'm looking for vegan pizza/flatbread recipes, and found this so far (have not tried it yet): http://www.theawesomegreen.com/very-green-vegan-flatbread-pizza/     

This is very similar to the pizza that was our inspiration, we didn't actually ever make it but do this pizza instead.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
I've recently discovered the explosion of deliciousness that is cast-iron skillet pizza. Too calorie-heavy to make every week, but damn, it's good. Here's one I made with broccoli and pepperoni.

We make a cast iron deep dish pizza every Friday night -  four of us split the one pizza so I think (hope) the calories aren't too out of control. They are the BEST homemade pizzas IMHO. They also seem much more full-proof/consistent than thin crust.

jmsmall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Paleopathologist
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 10:20:33 AM »
A most excellent Low Carb pizza called FatHead Pizza. Made from almond flour, eggs, cream cheese--fabulous.

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2559405

Then you can put whatever you want on it. One of my co-workers (who has almost cured her type 2 diabetes with low carb by the way) made a bacon and egg version of this pizza.

Doc Jim

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 10:48:55 AM »
How do you get your pizzas so perfectly round?  Mine are always funny shaped, but still taste good.

Here's the dough recipe I use: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pizza-crust-recipe

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »
Cross-posted elsewhere too. Pepperoni is my spouse's favorite pizza topping.

The secret to non-greasy crisp pepperoni:

Lay out single layers on paper towels on a microwave safe plate (2 layers paper towel, pepperoni, paper towel, pepperoni, paper towel ...)
Microwave 30-60 sec - stop when you hear the pepperoni start to sizzle
Remove from microwave, press down hard all over the stack of paper towels and pepperoni to blot up the grease.
Remove pepperoni, toss the paper towels.
Use pepperoni on top of all other toppings on your pizza.

Yum!

Kansas Terri

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »
Spagetti sauce + fennel = pizza sauce.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »
I make home made pizza pretty much every weekend, but usually don't remember to take pictures. I make the dough in a small bread machine.

I've also made bagels and baguettes from recipes in Charlie van Over's Best Bread Ever book
Those are beautiful, badass bagels. Make me hungry.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »
I agree. Those bagels look amazing.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 05:58:50 AM »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 07:55:34 AM »

We make a cast iron deep dish pizza every Friday night -  four of us split the one pizza so I think (hope) the calories aren't too out of control. They are the BEST homemade pizzas IMHO. They also seem much more full-proof/consistent than thin crust.

Any chance that a recipe for cast iron skillet pizza could be shared?
This seems perfect for the weekends or even during a camping trip.

This is the article that started me on cast iron pizzas:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html

Cooking hot being the most important direction in there.

And my dough recipe came from a friend. There are probably better recipes out there but this is the one I have memorized so this is what I use:

2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/4/ cup bread flour
2 tbsp yeast
1.5 tbsp salt
1 tsp honey
3 1/4/ Tbsp olive oil
1 3/4 cup warm water

I actually mix the dough in my bread machine on Friday afternoons and this dough does great in a bread machine.  It actually makes enough dough for about 2.5 pizzas so I often make some breadsticks from the extra half serving and save the extra full serving for the next weeks pizza.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:22 AM »
Has anyone had success with freezing homemade pizzas? Any tips?

Thinking of giving this a try this weekend:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-frozen-pizza-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-186527

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
I make home made pizza pretty much every weekend, but usually don't remember to take pictures. I make the dough in a small bread machine.

I've also made bagels and baguettes from recipes in Charlie van Over's Best Bread Ever book

Those look delicious! Do you have a good recipe? How hard are they to make? I LOVE bagels and if it's not too hard, would definitely attempt to make at home.

Anyone have a good fix for not spilling ingredients when moving the pizza from the paddle to the stone? I find my success rate is about 50/50, and once I had a huge sauce spill which I do not care to repeat. Do I just need to use more flour on the paddle?

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
Anyone have a good fix for not spilling ingredients when moving the pizza from the paddle to the stone? I find my success rate is about 50/50, and once I had a huge sauce spill which I do not care to repeat. Do I just need to use more flour on the paddle?

I have an excellent fix that is somewhat controversial.  Right before putting it in the oven, lift one edge slightly and put a puff of air under the dough.  It will now slide right off the peel like an air hockey puck.

Just don't let anyone see you do it.......

AZryan

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »
'Rotisserie Chicken and faux-Alfredo sauce'

I make pizzas all the time. The one I love best (and invented myself) uses a can of Cream of Mushroom soup (undiluted) for the sauce. Add Parmesan and dehydrated tomatoes (I don't measure). It ends up a sort of healthier, great-tasting Alfredo-ish deal. Just use the bread machine and typical recipe for the dough (2 cups flour per pizza), but sometimes add garlic granules to it.

Cover with mozzarella, and top with big chunks of chicken (I use a couple thawed thigh pieces from Sam's Club's frozen section and cut all the fat away first) and sprinkle the chicken with Lawry's Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning -same stuff Sam's uses in their awesome Rot. Chickens.

UNFORTUNATELY, Sam's Club not longer SELLS that seasoning!?! I assume they want to keep it off shelves now to boost their own chicken sales?? I don't know, but I can't believe it's because it sold poorly. They put 'Sam's Club' right on the last labels, so I also assume Wal-Mart now owns Lawry's and pulled this rotten trick.

Anyway, I tried to recreate it. Says salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, onion... but my mix isn't even close. Maybe the trick is that it's mostly all salt? I dunno?

Then I add mushrooms and/or chopped up broccoli.
Full, large-size pizza pan. I throw it in a cheap convection over for ~18min. at 425.

It's awesome. One of my top fav. things to eat -or at least it was. Anyone know about the seasoning, or some other good rot. chicken seasoning that might be like that Lawry's?

Sorry, don't have a pic.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
Not a perfect circle but still delicious!

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »

I have an excellent fix that is somewhat controversial.  Right before putting it in the oven, lift one edge slightly and put a puff of air under the dough.  It will now slide right off the peel like an air hockey puck.

Just don't let anyone see you do it.......

Thank you! Definitely gonna try this.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »

My solution is to build my pizza on a piece of parchment paper.  I slide the whole thing onto the pizza stone.  If you want the crust that last little bit of extra crispy you can slide the parchment out after about 5 minutes for a 450F preheated stone, but it hardly makes a difference.  Leaving the parchment in place makes it easier to get the pizza out if your stone has a lip (like my Lodge cast iron one).

Also works for putting a round bread loaf into a dutch oven, which is how we do our Almost No Kneed Bread version of the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.  Just grab the corners of the parchment and lift it into the pre-heated pot.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 05:23:15 PM »

My solution is to build my pizza on a piece of parchment paper.  I slide the whole thing onto the pizza stone.  If you want the crust that last little bit of extra crispy you can slide the parchment out after about 5 minutes for a 450F preheated stone, but it hardly makes a difference.  Leaving the parchment in place makes it easier to get the pizza out if your stone has a lip (like my Lodge cast iron one).

Also works for putting a round bread loaf into a dutch oven, which is how we do our Almost No Kneed Bread version of the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.  Just grab the corners of the parchment and lift it into the pre-heated pot.

Thank you! I don't know how I never thought of parchment paper. After Pizzabrewer mentioned blowing air underneath, I did some googling to see if other people also do that. Parchment paper came up a lot. I'm excited to try either/or and (hopefully, fingers crossed) end my days of spilling sauce.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2017, 05:34:38 PM »

Thank you! I don't know how I never thought of parchment paper. After Pizzabrewer mentioned blowing air underneath, I did some googling to see if other people also do that. Parchment paper came up a lot. I'm excited to try either/or and (hopefully, fingers crossed) end my days of spilling sauce.

I use parchment too. I find the edges tend to burn, so I trim it close to the edge of the pizza.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2017, 07:07:14 PM »
This is the recipe I use, slightly adapted from my bread machine manual - I use coconut oil instead of olive oil, and Lyle's golden syrup instead of sugar as they seem to help give a nice brown crust:

1 cup water
1 Tbs Lyle's golden syrup (or sugar)
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 Tbs coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 tsp salt (I use Redmond real salt)
1 tsp active dry yeast

Add all ingredients in order listed to the bread machine and select the dough cycle. I shape and bake mine on a non stick gold ceramic cookie sheet, no parchment needed. I usually bake it at 450F for 10 minutes.

This recipe makes a tender, slightly chewy crust, rather than a crisp one.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2017, 07:18:46 PM »

I use parchment too. I find the edges tend to burn, so I trim it close to the edge of the pizza.

I use cornmeal on the peel, and lots of it. It seems to work pretty well.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »

I use cornmeal on the peel, and lots of it. It seems to work pretty well.
Me, too! Less waste and cheaper to boot.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
Does the cornmeal burn on the really hot pizza stone? Or make a mess in the oven? Cornmeal is what is recommended usually.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »
Does the cornmeal burn on the really hot pizza stone? Or make a mess in the oven? Cornmeal is what is recommended usually.

Yes on both counts. The stone is black anyway, and haven't cleaned the oven since we got it 10 years ago (although it is on the list of odd chores). It doesn't smoke or otherwise cause any problems.