Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 556501 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3200 on: January 09, 2019, 07:38:06 AM »
Anyone ever add an AU to BBVA Compass?  I'm all over the site and find nothing.  Not even a search function.  I'll call if I have to, but of course would rather not.

***edit: Answering my own question, since I had to add the tradeline, I called in.  There is no online way to add, so I did it with the CSR.  No issues.  Easy enough.

So which company will use this credit card?  The new one or the old one ?

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3201 on: January 09, 2019, 08:23:47 AM »
Old one.  When they sent the message about $25 new cards, I just went through the list and shot them over.  I have this one from a Bonus to open, the middle of last year. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3202 on: January 09, 2019, 08:58:55 PM »
So how much is everyone making? I got to the game late and only cleared one AU so far, so $75 for me.  Got 2 cards with lots of slots just going unused.

If everything pays out, we'll have made a little under $4000 between the two of us for 2017 (and a few sales made towards end of this year, which will pay out next year)

If your interested in an updated data point: 2018 we had roughly $5500 in paid Tradeline sales, with "old" recommended company.

That translates to covering a nice chunk of our spending last year, so there is something to be said for income you didn't plan for in retirement. However, I also had my two easiest money maker cards shut down, so there's also something to be said for gravy trains eventually ending.

missundecided

• Stubble
« Reply #3203 on: January 09, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
Which two cards?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3204 on: January 09, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
Which two cards?
Three actually, a discover card each between wife and I, and a Fidelity/Elan card

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3205 on: January 09, 2019, 10:45:46 PM »
Which two cards?
Three actually, a discover card each between wife and I, and a Fidelity/Elan card

It would be really helpful I think if you could describe what sort of AU activity you had on the cards, what the CC companies' behavior was right before the shutdowns, and anything you think might have been a risk factor to the shutdowns.

missundecided

• Stubble
« Reply #3206 on: January 09, 2019, 10:51:20 PM »
I added a line to my Barclays yesterday online (I think only 4th or 5th total with them so definitely not because I hit a max), but it never showed up on my account page. Called, phone support said they see the AU as pending, but they are confirming the AU details first before they add him officially. Notified TL company of this situation, they said sometimes this happens, and we're waiting until Friday [the deadline Barclays gave me] to see if it shows as added or they'll have to cancel the order.

This ever happen to anyone? Does this mean I should no longer do online adds?

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3207 on: January 10, 2019, 12:29:04 AM »
I added a line to my Barclays yesterday online (I think only 4th or 5th total with them so definitely not because I hit a max), but it never showed up on my account page. Called, phone support said they see the AU as pending, but they are confirming the AU details first before they add him officially. Notified TL company of this situation, they said sometimes this happens, and we're waiting until Friday [the deadline Barclays gave me] to see if it shows as added or they'll have to cancel the order.

I had Barclays get sideways with me about one AU once, but not in the way you describe.

There's always risks associated with this type of activity.  Inform yourself fully, evaluate the risk/reward ratio from your perspective, and then decide.  It's really that simple.

missundecided

• Stubble
« Reply #3208 on: January 10, 2019, 12:33:24 AM »

I had Barclays get sideways with me about one AU once, but not in the way you describe.

There's always risks associated with this type of activity.  Inform yourself fully, evaluate the risk/reward ratio from your perspective, and then decide.  It's really that simple.

I meant should I call in for future adds vs the website, not adds in general. :) But yes--agreeing with the sentiment.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3209 on: January 10, 2019, 08:06:11 AM »
Which two cards?

It would be really helpful I think if you could describe what sort of AU activity you had on the cards, what the CC companies' behavior was right before the shutdowns, and anything you think might have been a risk factor to the shutdowns.

For Discover, I had about ten sales in 2017, and five in 2018. Then saw a strange notification on website with one add, sometime after my Discover card was shut down. Otherwise nothing unusual. Many people here reported Discover shutdowns around the same time.

Fidelity/Elan, I had about ten sales in 2018, all by phone. My last add on that call got escalated and questions were asked. That specific AU was added, but soon after my card was closed.

It has been a little while, but it's possible I could have done something to raise attention with Fidelity/Elan. I was travelling, with the kids, and harried. I called late at night and remember being a little confused myself on the phone. It could also have been random.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3210 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:21 AM »
Which two cards?

For Discover, I had about ten sales in 2017, and five in 2018. Then saw a strange notification on website with one add, sometime after my Discover card was shut down. Otherwise nothing unusual. Many people here reported Discover shutdowns around the same time.

Fidelity/Elan, I had about ten sales in 2018, all by phone. My last add on that call got escalated and questions were asked. That specific AU was added, but soon after my card was closed.

It has been a little while, but it's possible I could have done something to raise attention with Fidelity/Elan. I was travelling, with the kids, and harried. I called late at night and remember being a little confused myself on the phone. It could also have been random.

Thanks for the info.  I personally think it would be a useful exercise to continually try to figure out what bothers the CC companies enough to shut individuals down, or if they're taking a blanket approach and there's not much one can do to avoid shutdowns (other than not add AU's).  My guess is that it's a blanket approach based on total AU's per card, but individual AUs can raise suspicion if the AU is on some sort of list.  But again, that's just my guess.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3211 on: January 10, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »

I meant should I call in for future adds vs the website, not adds in general. :) But yes--agreeing with the sentiment.

Ah, thanks.  I always try to follow the TL company's recommendations.  New Company has specific instructions that seem to vary based on issuer - some can be call-ins and some can be online.  I forget what New Company recommends for Barclays, but I have a Barclays card with them and I've called in all of the AU's on that one.

I have used the website at USBank to remove when the hold time for a rep is 45 minutes.  It takes a few days but has worked fine.

jojoguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3212 on: January 11, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »
If a cc company closes a card because of Terms of Agreement breach, does it effect the other cards you have with the same company? I have a couple of Chase cards I may be willing to use for tradelines, but I also have a Chase Sapphire that I want to keep for just travel points. I would hate to lose any of these cards, but I would especially hate losing the Sapphire.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3213 on: January 11, 2019, 07:04:40 PM »
If a cc company closes a card because of Terms of Agreement breach, does it effect the other cards you have with the same company? I have a couple of Chase cards I may be willing to use for tradelines, but I also have a Chase Sapphire that I want to keep for just travel points. I would hate to lose any of these cards, but I would especially hate losing the Sapphire.

Most of them just close that one line. Chase closes them all, which is why many of us don't enroll our Chase cards. Not worth severing that relationship.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3214 on: January 11, 2019, 07:11:46 PM »
Questions about barclaycard product change to reset the tradeline limit (which I think I hit on one of my cards).

Is there a way to make sure that the card opening date doesn't reset when you change the product? I suppose it has to be a visa card if the previous card is also a visa, but is there any other way to make sure it doesn't just register as a brand new card with the bureaus and become useless for tradeline sales?

Is it possible to switch to a bacrlaycard uber card, keep the current card opening date which is 5+ years back (even though it's a new product) and get a signup bonus which is 200 for 400 spend? The bonus is not necessary because the card is good anyway, a free card with no foreign transaction fees.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:13:30 PM by Padonak »

missundecided

• Stubble
« Reply #3215 on: January 11, 2019, 08:00:18 PM »
Product change will not get you the sign up.

DarrellEW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3216 on: January 11, 2019, 08:34:55 PM »
Questions about barclaycard product change to reset the tradeline limit (which I think I hit on one of my cards).

Is there a way to make sure that the card opening date doesn't reset when you change the product? I suppose it has to be a visa card if the previous card is also a visa, but is there any other way to make sure it doesn't just register as a brand new card with the bureaus and become useless for tradeline sales?

Is it possible to switch to a bacrlaycard uber card, keep the current card opening date which is 5+ years back (even though it's a new product) and get a signup bonus which is 200 for 400 spend? The bonus is not necessary because the card is good anyway, a free card with no foreign transaction fees.

A product change will retain the original card's history, but you won't be eligible for the signup bonus (and it will typically make you ineligible for that card's signup bonus for some period of time). Some issuers are more liberal with product changes, while others will restrict you to only change within the same brand (Chase Southwest card can't be changed to a United card, for example). I'm not super familiar with Barclays' product change rules, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask which cards you would be eligible to convert to. There is probably also some anecdotal evidence if you search on Reddit or Doctor of Credit.

jojoguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3217 on: January 12, 2019, 02:38:08 AM »

Most of them just close that one line. Chase closes them all, which is why many of us don't enroll our Chase cards. Not worth severing that relationship.

Thankyou, sir. I really like my chase cards.

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3218 on: January 12, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
I've sold 2 tradelines so far on a BofA card (same card) - thanks @arebelspy! One payment posted and waiting for one more. Don't know how much I want to scale up but for now, we'll see how things go. It took a few months before my first bite and the wait sure felt long!

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3219 on: January 14, 2019, 08:47:21 AM »
Anyone still using Discover with success? I just sold my first 2 spots on Discover and wondering if they are still shutting accounts down. I rarely use the card so don't really care if it gets shut down.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3220 on: January 14, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »

Barclays has good CS reps, so I would recommend you call.  However, in my experience, you can only downgrade, not product change.  ie you can go from Arrival+ to Arrival; not Arrival to Uber.

If this is confirmed, it may make sense for folks to season a BC card with an annual fee to allow for future downgrade.

P.S. You might also try the stolen card/lost card function on the web site.  This did not work for me.  I assume it is tied into the same process as AU's on the back-end and couldn't "make" a new card.  Worth a shot!

chuckster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3221 on: January 14, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »
I have one of the Barclay NFL cards. I wonder if it would count as a product change if I just switched teams from the NY Giants to the NY Jets or something lol

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3222 on: January 14, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
Anyone had a CC application denied for the following reason? Just received this denial from CapitalOne. I've opened 7-8 tradelines in the previous 24 months.

Thank you for applying for a credit card issued by Capital One®. Unfortunately, after reviewing your
application and information obtained from your consumer credit report(s) from the agencies detailed
on the back of this letter - we cannot approve your request at this time.
The reason(s) for our decision are:

• Based on your credit report from Trans Union,number of bank cards tradelines opened in the
last 24 months

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3223 on: January 14, 2019, 03:54:32 PM »
Anyone had a CC application denied for the following reason? Just received this denial from CapitalOne. I've opened 7-8 tradelines in the previous 24 months.

Thank you for applying for a credit card issued by Capital One®. Unfortunately, after reviewing your
application and information obtained from your consumer credit report(s) from the agencies detailed
on the back of this letter - we cannot approve your request at this time.
The reason(s) for our decision are:

• Based on your credit report from Trans Union,number of bank cards tradelines opened in the
last 24 months

That has to do with you opening new lines (i.e. new credit cards).

It has nothing to do with selling tradelines (adding authorized users).
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3224 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »
Does the requirement that credit utilization of accounts not exceed 15% apply to each account used for AUs or does it apply to all total credit available on all my cards? 

I have a PNC card that the new company is currently resting and it currently has no AUs (credit limit $25k).  I would like to do a $10,000 balance transfer offer for which PNC is offering 0% interest until Feb 28, 2020. I would stop charging to the card and allow no new AUs. Will this cause any problem for the other AUs I have on other (non-PNC) cards?  I guess I would also have to notify the tradeline company that I want to rest the card until I say otherwise.

I am trying to look at options for getting cash if this Federal govt. shutdown nonsense is going to continue much longer.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3225 on: January 14, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »
Does the requirement that credit utilization of accounts not exceed 15% apply to each account used for AUs or does it apply to all total credit available on all my cards? 

I have a PNC card that the new company is currently resting and it currently has no AUs (credit limit $25k).  I would like to do a $10,000 balance transfer offer for which PNC is offering 0% interest until Feb 28, 2020. I would stop charging to the card and allow no new AUs. Will this cause any problem for the other AUs I have on other (non-PNC) cards?  I guess I would also have to notify the tradeline company that I want to rest the card until I say otherwise.

I am trying to look at options for getting cash if this Federal govt. shutdown nonsense is going to continue much longer.

Just for that card. That's the one that shows up on their credit report, and your utilization on that card will affect them. On your other cards won't.

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3226 on: January 14, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »

Just for that card. That's the one that shows up on their credit report, and your utilization on that card will affect them. On your other cards won't.

Thanks!

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3227 on: January 14, 2019, 09:12:27 PM »

Barclays has good CS reps, so I would recommend you call.  However, in my experience, you can only downgrade, not product change.  ie you can go from Arrival+ to Arrival; not Arrival to Uber.

If this is confirmed, it may make sense for folks to season a BC card with an annual fee to allow for future downgrade.

P.S. You might also try the stolen card/lost card function on the web site.  This did not work for me.  I assume it is tied into the same process as AU's on the back-end and couldn't "make" a new card.  Worth a shot!

Thank you! What do you mean lost/stolen card function didn't work for you? They issued a new card with a different number, right? Do you mean your tradeline limit didn't reset after that? How about credit card history with the bureaus, did the card opening date remain the same?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3228 on: January 14, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »

Thank you! What do you mean lost/stolen card function didn't work for you? They issued a new card with a different number, right? Do you mean your tradeline limit didn't reset after that? How about credit card history with the bureaus, did the card opening date remain the same?

The web site button didn't work.  It returned an error similar to trying to add an AU after I hit the limit.  (You might be able to get this done by calling in; I didn't try).

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3229 on: January 15, 2019, 06:05:21 AM »
When you report a card lost or stolen, does anybody know what happens to your current authorized users? If they don't have actual cards, do they stay as AUs on a replaced card?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:08:52 AM by Padonak »

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3230 on: January 15, 2019, 09:24:20 AM »
When you report a card lost or stolen, does anybody know what happens to your current authorized users? If they don't have actual cards, do they stay as AUs on a replaced card?

In one instance where I had this happen the CC company sent replacement cards for me and the AUs to my address, and the AUs remained.

Chris.Kem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3231 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:26 AM »
As of Jan 15, 2019 - Credit Score: 827
All Credit Reports are locked - by preference due to poor security controls at the 3 major agencies

Daily Active Accounts
Chase Visa 1 -   30.0K, 4.5 Years (Gas, Groceries, Etc go here for points hacks)
Chase Visa 2 -                       16.7K,   11 Years (Automated bills go here)

(Not Willing to enroll either of these due to fear of Chase Canceling Visa 1)

Old Cards that I never closed, to retain their positive impact on my credit history.
Capital One Visa -   7K,  18 Years
Capital One MasterCard -           7.4K, 9.5 Years
Discover -                                   6K,   8 Years

Questions
1 - Will Tradeline Selling work with locked credit reports?
2 - I See Discover has a cap of 5 AU.  What is the AU cap on Capital One?
3 - Does the Tradeline Company keep track of Max AU (when to Add/Remove)?
4 - Is it *Worth* risking my 18 year old Credit Line (oldest in history)?

Thanks Folks!

erutio

• Bristles
« Reply #3232 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:02 AM »
As of Jan 15, 2019 - Credit Score: 827
All Credit Reports are locked - by preference due to poor security controls at the 3 major agencies

Daily Active Accounts
Chase Visa 1 -   30.0K, 4.5 Years (Gas, Groceries, Etc go here for points hacks)
Chase Visa 2 -                       16.7K,   11 Years (Automated bills go here)

(Not Willing to enroll either of these due to fear of Chase Canceling Visa 1)

Old Cards that I never closed, to retain their positive impact on my credit history.
Capital One Visa -   7K,  18 Years
Capital One MasterCard -           7.4K, 9.5 Years
Discover -                                   6K,   8 Years

Questions
1 - Will Tradeline Selling work with locked credit reports?
2 - I See Discover has a cap of 5 AU.  What is the AU cap on Capital One?
3 - Does the Tradeline Company keep track of Max AU (when to Add/Remove)?
4 - Is it *Worth* risking my 18 year old Credit Line (oldest in history)?

Thanks Folks!

1. Yes.
2. Unknown.
3. Yes, they send you emails when to add/remove.
4. There is minimal risk to you.  Your score is >750, which to credit issuing companies, 750 to 850 are all the same to them.   Are you planning on taking on a loan?  If not, there is no to minimal risk to you.  You should actually leverage your good credit to apply for more cards, and season them until selling age.

Chris.Kem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3233 on: January 15, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
Thank you!

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #3234 on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »
Capital One has a limit of 2.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #3235 on: January 15, 2019, 11:43:57 AM »
What's your utilization with the new company? I have 6 or 7 cards listed. I was at 2 for about a year with these guys then added 4 in November. I am still not seeing more than an add per card every couple of months.

Thinking about switching to the old company

beekayworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3236 on: January 15, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »
Utilization with New Company has gone way down for me. I have 5 cards listed.

Only had one slot sell since September.  October=0, November=1, December=0. So far January=0.  (I had 3 in September; 2 in August; 4 in July. So these last few months have really lowered my averages). July/Aug/Sept slots=9. Oct/Nov/Dec/halfJan slots=1.

My cards are: 2 Chase; 2 Citi; 1 CapitalOne.

dlawson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3237 on: January 15, 2019, 05:04:52 PM »
Utilization with New Company has gone way down for me. I have 5 cards listed.

Only had one slot sell since September.  October=0, November=1, December=0. So far January=0.  (I had 3 in September; 2 in August; 4 in July. So these last few months have really lowered my averages). July/Aug/Sept slots=9. Oct/Nov/Dec/halfJan slots=1.

Same here. I had extremely consistent sales with them until about September, and zero since then.