Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 472684 times)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #2200 on: March 04, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
I emailed TL1 this morning and told them my card was shut down.

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2201 on: March 04, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »
So my Discover account has been shut down as well.  I knew it was a risk but I am still disappointed.  I was making a lot of money with those sales!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:19:51 PM by dakota5176 »

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2202 on: March 04, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
In good news, that may mean some of you that werenít getting sales may start seeing sales now...

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2203 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
If the CC takes SSN, you can probably skip address.  It may not match and you won't be paid... 

Barclays does not take SSN on web site so I input the address.  However, BC seems to be very lax...

Citi website does not have SSN either, so you have to call in.  Are you sure you're not supposed to call in to Barclays to put in SSN?  I was under the impression the SSN is the most important piece of information and must be added (which is why I have to call citi instead of doing it online).

I just got an add on my BoA card.  BoA lets me add everything online myself, which is so much easier.  I don't understand why all cc companies don't let us just add AU directly with all the info via web page.  When I call it in that's all the rep is doing is just typing the information I give them, except there is potential for errors since we are literally playing telephone.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2204 on: March 05, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
If the CC takes SSN, you can probably skip address.  It may not match and you won't be paid... 

Barclays does not take SSN on web site so I input the address.  However, BC seems to be very lax...

Citi website does not have SSN either, so you have to call in.  Are you sure you're not supposed to call in to Barclays to put in SSN?  I was under the impression the SSN is the most important piece of information and must be added (which is why I have to call citi instead of doing it online).

I just got an add on my BoA card.  BoA lets me add everything online myself, which is so much easier.  I don't understand why all cc companies don't let us just add AU directly with all the info via web page.  When I call it in that's all the rep is doing is just typing the information I give them, except there is potential for errors since we are literally playing telephone.

Except for piggybackers, it's a feature that probably isn't used very much by regular users.  Not worth the IT development and support costs.  Even though I like BofA for doing so, if I were the CEO or a shareholder I would think it a mistake.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2205 on: March 05, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »

You are supposed to.  All of my BC adds have worked without SSN.  I'm being lazy..

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2206 on: March 05, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »

You are supposed to.  All of my BC adds have worked without SSN.  I'm being lazy..

same here i never call to add with barclays and they've always worked.  i'm more concerned about getting paid.  i always have to email its quite annoying and now responses take longer.  they need to automate this payment system or start paying us interest.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2207 on: March 05, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »

Except for piggybackers, it's a feature that probably isn't used very much by regular users.  Not worth the IT development and support costs.  Even though I like BofA for doing so, if I were the CEO or a shareholder I would think it a mistake.

But they already have the feature (or else how could the reps do it?).  How does it make sense to employ a rep for me to call into three times(looking at you citi) to add an AU, but not just roll that feature into your main website?  Surely those reps don't work for free.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2208 on: March 05, 2018, 02:39:53 PM »

But they already have the feature (or else how could the reps do it?).  How does it make sense to employ a rep for me to call into three times(looking at you citi) to add an AU, but not just roll that feature into your main website?  Surely those reps don't work for free.

Reps are very cheap (just above minimum wage) and are probably considered an ambiguous sunk cost by most CC execs.  IT people are expensive and the projects to "just roll [features] in" have large and visible price tags.  Converting an "internal" feature where a CSR can add someone to the database to an "external" feature where a customer can use it still costs money.  So maybe $100K to convert it to an external feature vs. $1 ($10 per hour times six minutes for the AU add phone call).

I agree with you about the three times thing being doubleplusungood.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2209 on: March 06, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-id-theft-thousands-of-credit-applicants-who-dont-exist-1520350404

Here's an article that discusses a type of credit card fraud. The guy created tons of fictitious people and applied for loans in their name. CPNs are referenced, and so is bust out fraud.

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2210 on: March 06, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
So as I posted above, Discover closed the card I was using to sell tradelines.  Today they closed my second account with them.  This was a new account and I had never sold any tradelines on this card.  I didn't think they regularly did that.  Are tradeline sales becoming unworkable? 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:14:28 PM by dakota5176 »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2211 on: March 06, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
My second Discover card got closed down as well.  Goodbye Discover. Hello Barclay, Bank of America, PNC, and US Bank.

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2212 on: March 06, 2018, 06:07:50 PM »
Were you selling tradelines on your second account?  Unfortunately either I don't have an account with those other companies or it is too new to sell for tradelines.  I'm going to miss the money (at least for a few years)!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2213 on: March 06, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-id-theft-thousands-of-credit-applicants-who-dont-exist-1520350404

Here's an article that discusses a type of credit card fraud. The guy created tons of fictitious people and applied for loans in their name. CPNs are referenced, and so is bust out fraud.

That is a disturbing yet clarifying article. Thanks for posting. Hopefully the tradeline companies are doing all they can to prevent CPN's from slipping through the cracks into their system.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2214 on: March 06, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
I called citi and added 2 unrelated AU at the same time.  Citi send both cards in the same envelope addressed to the first AU at my address.  Seems kind of weird that they would send both in the same envelope, even though it's the same address.  Seems super weird that they would address it to only one of the AU too.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #2215 on: March 06, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
I called citi and added 2 unrelated AU at the same time.  Citi send both cards in the same envelope addressed to the first AU at my address.  Seems kind of weird that they would send both in the same envelope, even though it's the same address.  Seems super weird that they would address it to only one of the AU too.

They're just saving money. They sent me my replacement card (even though i didn't ask for it and still had time before my previous card expires) and an AU card in the same envelope to my address. No big deal.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2216 on: March 07, 2018, 01:24:02 AM »
Iím out.  For a couple sales but decided I donít trust this company and Iíd rather not have my cards closed down.  I donít have many eligible cards anyways

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #2217 on: March 07, 2018, 05:52:16 AM »

I emailed 2 TL companies about a similar article from the GAO (Step 4) just before Christmas, and this one never replied (no real surprise, eh?).

I've now rested both my cards with this company. I ended up with 4 total AUs since Aug (4 on 1 card) so I can't complain as much as others.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #2218 on: March 07, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
Re: Discover shutdowns. I noticed that TL co. 1 shows both my Discover slots as sold this month but I didn't get notifications for adds, and I'm past the add date now, so I wonder if they're resting Discover cards but haven't notified us?

ETA: oops, received notice for an add right as I posted the above message, but when I go to discover to add the user I get this friendly little message:

Please Call Us to Update Your Account
You've previously initiated a credit bureau fraud alert on this account. If you'd like to make an update to your account,
please call us at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) from the phone number you submitted to that credit bureau.

Nope, I initiated no fraud alert on this account. I don't know what that means. Ba bye, Discover adds.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:34:39 PM by RedwoodDreams »

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2219 on: March 07, 2018, 07:02:09 PM »
That was the message I received from Discover right before I was notified that the account had been closed.  It's disappointing but at least I made a nice chunk of change first.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2220 on: March 07, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
I have extreme issues with this company. I don't think they vet users to the level they say. And they do not pay you unless you ask. And they mess that up too. I'm pretty well done with this company I have better ones I use and they are much better organized how can you say you actually do all of these things to vet your clients but can't pay someone on time. Is not 1930 the computer and automated payment systems gave been invented

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2221 on: March 08, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »
I have extreme issues with this company. I don't think they vet users to the level they say. And they do not pay you unless you ask. And they mess that up too. I'm pretty well done with this company I have better ones I use and they are much better organized how can you say you actually do all of these things to vet your clients but can't pay someone on time. Is not 1930 the computer and automated payment systems gave been invented

I solved this problem by publicly making a similar complaint here.  All of my sales magically dried up immediately.  I've had zero sales since then, something like eight months. 

Maybe coincidence?

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #2222 on: March 08, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
That was the message I received from Discover right before I was notified that the account had been closed.  It's disappointing but at least I made a nice chunk of change first.

My Discover card was closed today. Those who want to hold onto their Discover cards might want to rest those cards for a while.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #2223 on: March 08, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »

Can you say or PM who you use?

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2224 on: March 08, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »

That is a disturbing yet clarifying article. Thanks for posting. Hopefully the tradeline companies are doing all they can to prevent CPN's from slipping through the cracks into their system.

As slack as Company 2 has been on straightforward stuff like "paying people on time" - I no longer trust them to thoroughly vet buyers.

meatgrinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2225 on: March 11, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »
BOA closed both of my cards for "irregular activity" today.  One card was 2 years old and another was 11 years old.   I had only added one AU on the 2 y.o. card and two on the 11 y.o.  I activated the AU cards and made small ~$3 purchases/month. When I called the fraud people at BOA they wouldn't give any specifics.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2226 on: March 11, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »
Perhaps BofA is not far behind Discover. I have a feeling tradelines is going to be a thing of the past soon. Sucks for those getting the bulk of the sales.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2227 on: March 11, 2018, 05:52:56 PM »
Perhaps BofA is not far behind Discover. I have a feeling tradelines is going to be a thing of the past soon. Sucks for those getting the bulk of the sales.

To me it sucks more for those who just got a couple of sales and were canceled anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:37:01 PM by TomTX »

y3ll0wsubmarine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2228 on: March 11, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »
Anyone who's had their Discover card canceled, ever called to find out what their exact reasoning is? Or been able to have them reopened?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2229 on: March 11, 2018, 09:12:58 PM »
Anyone who's had their Discover card canceled, ever called to find out what their exact reasoning is? Or been able to have them reopened?

I called to ask both of those questions - I was told I could write a letter to the corporate office if I wanted to know why the card was closed. I was also told that the card was closed permanently.

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2230 on: March 12, 2018, 06:15:21 AM »

When I called , they couldn't tell me why.  I later got a letter in the mail, apologizing for the lack of clarity and offering up some useless explanation (something about incompatible usage activity).

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2231 on: March 12, 2018, 06:45:23 AM »

BofA has already been removd from the other site i use.  I find it interesting the this site is still allowing those cards.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2232 on: March 12, 2018, 08:14:45 AM »

To me it sucks more for those who just got a couple of sales and were canceled anyway.

Sure, but those getting the bulk of the sales will feel a greater financial impact. We all know the risk of possibly getting our cards canceled.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2233 on: March 12, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »

BofA has already been removd from the other site i use.  I find it interesting the this site is still allowing those cards.

Hmmm, didn't know that. I don't have any BofA cards. I was seasoning a couple other cards (one being a Discover). I haven't kept up much either though because of the complete lack of sales for my cards over the last year.

Edit: Just tried to login to 2nd company and my account apparently has been disabled. Anyone else having issues?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:25:27 AM by MasterStache »

JohnGalt79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2234 on: March 12, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »

I called to ask both of those questions - I was told I could write a letter to the corporate office if I wanted to know why the card was closed. I was also told that the card was closed permanently.

Same here.  Then I actually wrote a letter to the corporate office asking to know the reason for closure.  Their reply to my letter was even less helpful/informative than they were on the phone.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2235 on: March 12, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »

Same here.  Then I actually wrote a letter to the corporate office asking to know the reason for closure.  Their reply to my letter was even less helpful/informative than they were on the phone.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the answer is "because you're selling tradelines" but their customer service department won't let them tell customers to fuck off, so they talk around it with vague generalities.

Am I the only one who sees absolutely no mystery in banks shutting down these cards?  They think you've violated their terms of service.  You are exposing the bank to outside risks and offering them no profit in return.  They have the right to terminate you at any time for any reason.  Seems pretty clear cut to me; if they think you're selling tradelines they will squash you, and then laugh when you act all innocent and offended about it. 

"But WHY can't I game the system for personal profit?" probably isn't going to get you very far.

meatgrinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2236 on: March 12, 2018, 02:05:20 PM »

It seems pretty obvious to me that the answer is "because you're selling tradelines" but their customer service department won't let them tell customers to fuck off, so they talk around it with vague generalities.

Am I the only one who sees absolutely no mystery in banks shutting down these cards?  They think you've violated their terms of service.  You are exposing the bank to outside risks and offering them no profit in return.  They have the right to terminate you at any time for any reason.  Seems pretty clear cut to me; if they think you're selling tradelines they will squash you, and then laugh when you act all innocent and offended about it. 

"But WHY can't I game the system for personal profit?" probably isn't going to get you very far.

Agreed...but there is no false innocence since there is nothing to hide.  If people want to pay me to add them as an AU, I see no legal issue with it and nowhere in the terms that says I can't do so.

Does the bank really have any outside risk or is it the party who is giving these folks a loan/better rate due to an inflated credit score the ones really at risk?

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2237 on: March 12, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »
I agree, I can't find anything in the TOS that I am violating, or anywhere that forbids it.  No where in the TOS does it say I must have any kind of relationship with, or even know the person I am adding as an AU, just that I have their permission to add them and that I am responsible for purchases made by them.

I guess I get why the cc company would frown on this activity, but it's not specifically forbidden that I can see.  I also get that they reserve the right to cancel my account for any reason (whether it violates the TOS or not) they want, and they don't need to come out and give a specific reason. 

tj

• Handlebar Stache
    • Arcadia Power
« Reply #2238 on: March 12, 2018, 03:24:35 PM »

Agreed...but there is no false innocence since there is nothing to hide.  If people want to pay me to add them as an AU, I see no legal issue with it and nowhere in the terms that says I can't do so.

Does the bank really have any outside risk or is it the party who is giving these folks a loan/better rate due to an inflated credit score the ones really at risk?

The bank has no way of knowing which future bank will be defrauded by the credit score boost, it could be their own bank. why take the risk? Especially since the majority of the cards being used for this activity have minimal spend. Like seriously, what benefit does the bank have allow it to keep happening once they catch on?

EliteZags

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2239 on: March 12, 2018, 03:35:07 PM »
can anyone share experience using Chase cards? any good companies that still take them and how has it gone
thanks

meatgrinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2240 on: March 12, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »

The bank has no way of knowing which future bank will be defrauded by the credit score boost, it could be their own bank. why take the risk? Especially since the majority of the cards being used for this activity have minimal spend. Like seriously, what benefit does the bank have allow it to keep happening once they catch on?

I don't think defrauded is the right term since banks/lenders know that being an AU boosts credit scores without the obligation. Diligent financial underwriters that look at more than just the credit score can see this and discount it if they decide to do so.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
    • Arcadia Power
« Reply #2241 on: March 12, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »

I don't think defrauded is the right term since banks/lenders know that being an AU boosts credit scores without the obligation. Diligent financial underwriters that look at more than just the credit score can see this and discount it if they decide to do so.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? "banks should allow me to add stranger AU's because the underwriters should know better". Yeah...no.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2242 on: March 12, 2018, 10:31:10 PM »
I guess "The Top Is In" 

meatgrinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2243 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:10 PM »

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? "banks should allow me to add stranger AU's because the underwriters should know better". Yeah...no.

You're right

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2245 on: March 13, 2018, 06:23:50 AM »

I read meatgrinder's post as saying "defrauded" isn't the best word, and I would agree. The determination to count AUs for credit purposes even though there is no obligation was made by the financial industry. That isn't to say that they must allow this; merely that operating within their rules is hardly fraud.

For example, some ways that the financial industry could react to close down tradelines on a broader basis, rather than an individual account, are:
-Counting the AUs credit only for the duration they have been an AU, not the full age of the account (a la AMEX)
-Count AUs but only for a fraction (1/10, or 1/100) of the total limit
-Put in their TOS that AUs must have a verifiable relationship with the account owner of personal CCs in order to be added. This would preserve AUs counting for spouses, etc.
-Don't count AUs at all

I'm an underwriter (insurance, not banking, though). Underwriting for personal accounts is almost entirely automated in every sector that I know of; not just because of the processing time and money but also because of the regulations that personal financial services are required to meet.

If my company told your state that we would write your insurance for $X if your credit score was Y, I am required by that filing to offer you that $X premium even if I knew for 100% that your score was artificially inflated. (And in practicality, I would have no way of knowing that. Credit score calculations are so inscrutable that almost any score could be associated with any individual's other data.) If I failed to do so, my company would be subject to fines and penalties for not adhering to what we said we'd do. We could argue that the score was artificially manipulated, and we would be told "You should have thought about that before you decided you wanted to include it in your rating. Sorry not sorry."

As an analogy, you know how most insurance policies provide for a "good student discount" where A- or B-average grades reduce the amounts you pay for insurance for that student? Insurance companies know that there's a wide variety in "B-average" (kids who are taking AP/honors classes versus kids whose parents told them to schedule a bunch of fluff classes for the term prior to getting their license to bring up their normal D-average). They know the system can be gamed and even within that variety and with that gaming, it still makes sense to differentiate student drivers on grades overall.

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #2246 on: March 13, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
I tried logging into the web portal this morning and got the message "UserName and/or Password Not Found or account has been disabled." Anyone else having issues?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2247 on: March 13, 2018, 08:04:54 AM »
I tried logging into the web portal this morning and got the message "UserName and/or Password Not Found or account has been disabled." Anyone else having issues?

Working for me, though it did have me reset my password when logging in, I believe implemented recently as a security measure.

It gave me an error about needing a capital letter, lowercase letter, number, and symbol, which I did have, but finally realized it had a hidden maximum length, so if you're getting that error, try a shorter password.

We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2248 on: March 13, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »

I posted yesterday about having the same issue when trying to login. I give up. This company royally sucks! Time to move on.

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2249 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
It gave me an error about needing a capital letter, lowercase letter, number, and symbol, which I did have, but finally realized it had a hidden maximum length, so if you're getting that error, try a shorter password.
I hate hidden password rules, especially those that prevent more secure passwords (characters not allowed, maximum length). NIST guidelines suggest a password field should allow at least 64 characters.