Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906567 times)

y3ll0wsubmarine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #2200 on: March 11, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »
Anyone who's had their Discover card canceled, ever called to find out what their exact reasoning is? Or been able to have them reopened?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2201 on: March 11, 2018, 09:12:58 PM »
Anyone who's had their Discover card canceled, ever called to find out what their exact reasoning is? Or been able to have them reopened?

I called to ask both of those questions - I was told I could write a letter to the corporate office if I wanted to know why the card was closed. I was also told that the card was closed permanently.

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2202 on: March 12, 2018, 06:15:21 AM »

When I called , they couldn't tell me why.  I later got a letter in the mail, apologizing for the lack of clarity and offering up some useless explanation (something about incompatible usage activity).

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2203 on: March 12, 2018, 06:45:23 AM »
Perhaps BofA is not far behind Discover. I have a feeling tradelines is going to be a thing of the past soon. Sucks for those getting the bulk of the sales.

BofA has already been removd from the other site i use.  I find it interesting the this site is still allowing those cards.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2204 on: March 12, 2018, 08:14:45 AM »
Perhaps BofA is not far behind Discover. I have a feeling tradelines is going to be a thing of the past soon. Sucks for those getting the bulk of the sales.

To me it sucks more for those who just got a couple of sales and were canceled anyway.

Sure, but those getting the bulk of the sales will feel a greater financial impact. We all know the risk of possibly getting our cards canceled.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2205 on: March 12, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »

BofA has already been removd from the other site i use.  I find it interesting the this site is still allowing those cards.

Hmmm, didn't know that. I don't have any BofA cards. I was seasoning a couple other cards (one being a Discover). I haven't kept up much either though because of the complete lack of sales for my cards over the last year.

Edit: Just tried to login to 2nd company and my account apparently has been disabled. Anyone else having issues?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:25:27 AM by MasterStache »

JohnGalt79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2206 on: March 12, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »

I called to ask both of those questions - I was told I could write a letter to the corporate office if I wanted to know why the card was closed. I was also told that the card was closed permanently.

Same here.  Then I actually wrote a letter to the corporate office asking to know the reason for closure.  Their reply to my letter was even less helpful/informative than they were on the phone.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2207 on: March 12, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »

Same here.  Then I actually wrote a letter to the corporate office asking to know the reason for closure.  Their reply to my letter was even less helpful/informative than they were on the phone.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the answer is "because you're selling tradelines" but their customer service department won't let them tell customers to fuck off, so they talk around it with vague generalities.

Am I the only one who sees absolutely no mystery in banks shutting down these cards?  They think you've violated their terms of service.  You are exposing the bank to outside risks and offering them no profit in return.  They have the right to terminate you at any time for any reason.  Seems pretty clear cut to me; if they think you're selling tradelines they will squash you, and then laugh when you act all innocent and offended about it. 

"But WHY can't I game the system for personal profit?" probably isn't going to get you very far.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #2208 on: March 12, 2018, 02:05:20 PM »

It seems pretty obvious to me that the answer is "because you're selling tradelines" but their customer service department won't let them tell customers to fuck off, so they talk around it with vague generalities.

Am I the only one who sees absolutely no mystery in banks shutting down these cards?  They think you've violated their terms of service.  You are exposing the bank to outside risks and offering them no profit in return.  They have the right to terminate you at any time for any reason.  Seems pretty clear cut to me; if they think you're selling tradelines they will squash you, and then laugh when you act all innocent and offended about it. 

"But WHY can't I game the system for personal profit?" probably isn't going to get you very far.

Agreed...but there is no false innocence since there is nothing to hide.  If people want to pay me to add them as an AU, I see no legal issue with it and nowhere in the terms that says I can't do so.

Does the bank really have any outside risk or is it the party who is giving these folks a loan/better rate due to an inflated credit score the ones really at risk?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2209 on: March 12, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »
I agree, I can't find anything in the TOS that I am violating, or anywhere that forbids it.  No where in the TOS does it say I must have any kind of relationship with, or even know the person I am adding as an AU, just that I have their permission to add them and that I am responsible for purchases made by them.

I guess I get why the cc company would frown on this activity, but it's not specifically forbidden that I can see.  I also get that they reserve the right to cancel my account for any reason (whether it violates the TOS or not) they want, and they don't need to come out and give a specific reason. 

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2210 on: March 12, 2018, 03:24:35 PM »

Agreed...but there is no false innocence since there is nothing to hide.  If people want to pay me to add them as an AU, I see no legal issue with it and nowhere in the terms that says I can't do so.

Does the bank really have any outside risk or is it the party who is giving these folks a loan/better rate due to an inflated credit score the ones really at risk?

The bank has no way of knowing which future bank will be defrauded by the credit score boost, it could be their own bank. why take the risk? Especially since the majority of the cards being used for this activity have minimal spend. Like seriously, what benefit does the bank have allow it to keep happening once they catch on?

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #2211 on: March 12, 2018, 03:35:07 PM »
can anyone share experience using Chase cards? any good companies that still take them and how has it gone
thanks

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #2212 on: March 12, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »

The bank has no way of knowing which future bank will be defrauded by the credit score boost, it could be their own bank. why take the risk? Especially since the majority of the cards being used for this activity have minimal spend. Like seriously, what benefit does the bank have allow it to keep happening once they catch on?

I don't think defrauded is the right term since banks/lenders know that being an AU boosts credit scores without the obligation. Diligent financial underwriters that look at more than just the credit score can see this and discount it if they decide to do so.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2213 on: March 12, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »

I don't think defrauded is the right term since banks/lenders know that being an AU boosts credit scores without the obligation. Diligent financial underwriters that look at more than just the credit score can see this and discount it if they decide to do so.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? "banks should allow me to add stranger AU's because the underwriters should know better". Yeah...no.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2214 on: March 12, 2018, 10:31:10 PM »
I guess "The Top Is In" 

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #2215 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:10 PM »

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? "banks should allow me to add stranger AU's because the underwriters should know better". Yeah...no.

You're right

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2217 on: March 13, 2018, 06:23:50 AM »

I read meatgrinder's post as saying "defrauded" isn't the best word, and I would agree. The determination to count AUs for credit purposes even though there is no obligation was made by the financial industry. That isn't to say that they must allow this; merely that operating within their rules is hardly fraud.

For example, some ways that the financial industry could react to close down tradelines on a broader basis, rather than an individual account, are:
-Counting the AUs credit only for the duration they have been an AU, not the full age of the account (a la AMEX)
-Count AUs but only for a fraction (1/10, or 1/100) of the total limit
-Put in their TOS that AUs must have a verifiable relationship with the account owner of personal CCs in order to be added. This would preserve AUs counting for spouses, etc.
-Don't count AUs at all

I'm an underwriter (insurance, not banking, though). Underwriting for personal accounts is almost entirely automated in every sector that I know of; not just because of the processing time and money but also because of the regulations that personal financial services are required to meet.

If my company told your state that we would write your insurance for $X if your credit score was Y, I am required by that filing to offer you that $X premium even if I knew for 100% that your score was artificially inflated. (And in practicality, I would have no way of knowing that. Credit score calculations are so inscrutable that almost any score could be associated with any individual's other data.) If I failed to do so, my company would be subject to fines and penalties for not adhering to what we said we'd do. We could argue that the score was artificially manipulated, and we would be told "You should have thought about that before you decided you wanted to include it in your rating. Sorry not sorry."

As an analogy, you know how most insurance policies provide for a "good student discount" where A- or B-average grades reduce the amounts you pay for insurance for that student? Insurance companies know that there's a wide variety in "B-average" (kids who are taking AP/honors classes versus kids whose parents told them to schedule a bunch of fluff classes for the term prior to getting their license to bring up their normal D-average). They know the system can be gamed and even within that variety and with that gaming, it still makes sense to differentiate student drivers on grades overall.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2218 on: March 13, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
I tried logging into the web portal this morning and got the message "UserName and/or Password Not Found or account has been disabled." Anyone else having issues?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2219 on: March 13, 2018, 08:04:54 AM »
I tried logging into the web portal this morning and got the message "UserName and/or Password Not Found or account has been disabled." Anyone else having issues?

Working for me, though it did have me reset my password when logging in, I believe implemented recently as a security measure.

It gave me an error about needing a capital letter, lowercase letter, number, and symbol, which I did have, but finally realized it had a hidden maximum length, so if you're getting that error, try a shorter password.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2220 on: March 13, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »

I posted yesterday about having the same issue when trying to login. I give up. This company royally sucks! Time to move on.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2221 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
It gave me an error about needing a capital letter, lowercase letter, number, and symbol, which I did have, but finally realized it had a hidden maximum length, so if you're getting that error, try a shorter password.
I hate hidden password rules, especially those that prevent more secure passwords (characters not allowed, maximum length). NIST guidelines suggest a password field should allow at least 64 characters.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2222 on: March 13, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
I sent an email and got a prompt response from Cliff:

"Last week I asked our programmer to require everybody to change their passwords as a precaution. I also asked him to require the minimum strength to be increased and it sounds like he needs to take a look at see if he has any errors in his coding. No need to be concerned though, it’s definitely not indicative of any issues pertaining to unauthorized access."

He is having his programmer look at my account, so hopefully we get it sorted quickly. He was very responsive though!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2223 on: March 13, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »
can anyone share experience using Chase cards? any good companies that still take them and how has it gone
thanks

Read the thread.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2224 on: March 13, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »

Working for me, though it did have me reset my password when logging in, I believe implemented recently as a security measure.

I logged in on the weekend and immediately had to choose a new password.
It said my new password was good - even before I typed it again to confirm it (which, in hindsight, was a red flag).  I tried to log in with the new password and got the message "UserName and/or Password Not Found or account has been disabled."
I called Monday morning.  It took a while for the gal to understand I'm an 'AU seller' (they call us 'card holders').  Confirming who I am took a bit too - our card #s are different from our ID #...  Then... she read my old PW!!  I worked in IT network support for 20 yrs.  I've never seen a system where ANYONE could 'read' someone's PW!!  That is NOT a secure system!!!
I logged in with my old, not very complex, PW and put in my new one (twice).  Then I logged in with the new PW.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2225 on: March 13, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
This is strange. I have not had to change my password, even though Cliff said "everyone" should be required to change it.

However, it appears a new interface went live this weekend. I see a blue bar across the top of the screen, and a blue box with a welcome message when I log in. Those are new.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2226 on: March 13, 2018, 02:41:29 PM »
Then... she read my old PW!!  I worked in IT network support for 20 yrs.  I've never seen a system where ANYONE could 'read' someone's PW!!  That is NOT a secure system!!!

Wow. This emphasizes the importance of unique passwords for every website. I’m also glad I quit selling tradelines a few months ago.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2227 on: March 13, 2018, 07:38:24 PM »
Then... she read my old PW!!  I worked in IT network support for 20 yrs.  I've never seen a system where ANYONE could 'read' someone's PW!!  That is NOT a secure system!!!

Wow. This emphasizes the importance of unique passwords for every website. I’m also glad I quit selling tradelines a few months ago.

That's real incompetence. Plaintext password should NEVER be visible to others.

changed for protection

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Freedom to help others!
« Reply #2228 on: March 14, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
I'm a little disappointed because I just found out about selling credit lines but it seems the companies have gotten worse and that CC companies have been catching on. I think it would be very easy for them to realize that I am adding random users after having absolutely no activity on the card for almost 10 years. I'd be very curious to see what the seasoned tradeline sellers think. Is it too late to get in? Do the new risks outweigh the rewards?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2229 on: March 14, 2018, 02:24:43 PM »
It really depends on the credit card company you're thinking of using. Obviously Discover, Bank of America, and Chase are a problem.
I think Barclay, PNC, US Bank, Citi still ok.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #2230 on: March 14, 2018, 03:36:33 PM »
Discover use to practically beg people to do this so its odd they did an about face. As an update, the new company paid me on time this month without prompting

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2231 on: March 15, 2018, 07:14:10 AM »
I just added an AU on Discover using the old company, and it went through fine.  I've found myself making more purchases on my Discover card as an incentive to keep my card open.  I've also been selecting 'don't send a card' to keep Discover's costs low.  Based on the article above, I've decided to check all the uploaded IDs before adding a user.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2232 on: March 15, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
It really depends on the credit card company you're thinking of using. Obviously Discover, Bank of America, and Chase are a problem.
I think Barclay, PNC, US Bank, Citi still ok.
That is now.  I suspect it to change, and keep changing over time.
I have an AU on my Discover...  I'm going to take it off 3 days after my next closing date.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #2233 on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:54 AM »
I just added an AU on Discover using the old company, and it went through fine.  I've found myself making more purchases on my Discover card as an incentive to keep my card open.  I've also been selecting 'don't send a card' to keep Discover's costs low.  Based on the article above, I've decided to check all the uploaded IDs before adding a user.

How do you "check" IDs before adding?

spacecadet610

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2234 on: March 15, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
i still haven't got paid for AU added 12/7.

Cliff hasn't responded to my email about it i sent 5 days ago.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2235 on: March 15, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »

Send a message to arebelspy about it.

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #2236 on: March 15, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »

Ditto. I haven't received payment for my 12/6/17 add. I have emailed Cliff and Erica multiple times.

spacecadet610

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2237 on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:55 PM »
This company is either extremely incompetent, negligent or corrupt. I don't know know which.

Thinking of not doing this anymore.

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2238 on: March 19, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
I just got a request to remove an authorized user from my B of A.  This AU has been on since 12/4 and I have another AU on as well.  Do you think I should leave the AU on longer so it doesn't look as suspicious?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2239 on: March 20, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
I just received a payment.  Hopefully, everyone will see them too.

FrontRanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2240 on: March 20, 2018, 11:42:42 AM »
first timer question. I just got my first check from the new company for an add back in December running through February. At what point do you get notified to remove the AU? Or do you simply wait a few days after the billing period ends and remove them? I have yet to get any communications about removal....

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #2241 on: March 20, 2018, 12:32:58 PM »
first timer question. I just got my first check from the new company for an add back in December running through February. At what point do you get notified to remove the AU? Or do you simply wait a few days after the billing period ends and remove them? I have yet to get any communications about removal....

From my experience it should be right about now you get the removal request. However like all things with this company you sometimes have to email and pester them

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2242 on: March 20, 2018, 01:24:49 PM »

How do you "check" IDs before adding?

With the old company, they upload IDs in case you need it to add the AU.  I'm checking to make sure they match in name, and that they are there.  The one I had already added uploaded a pay stub instead of a social security card.  The next time that happens I won't add them.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2243 on: March 20, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »

From my experience it should be right about now you get the removal request. However like all things with this company you sometimes have to email and pester them

You'll get an email from the portal to remove them when the company thinks it is the right time.  I always wait for that email before removing the AU.  Sometimes they will have you leave the AU on for longer than you expect.  I don't know the reason for that but I am guessing that as long as they don't have another sale for you on that card they'll leave the AU on.  Leaving AUs on longer may look less suspicious to the CC companies (although only marginally less suspicious IMO).

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2244 on: March 21, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »
Guys, my Discover card account just got closed due to them getting wise about tradelining. What should I do? Is there a chance they'll let me re-open the account? I knew it was part of the risks, but it sucks since I had a high credit limit with them...I guess this is going to ruin my credit score?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2245 on: March 21, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »
Guys, my Discover card account just got closed due to them getting wise about tradelining. What should I do? Is there a chance they'll let me re-open the account? I knew it was part of the risks, but it sucks since I had a high credit limit with them...I guess this is going to ruin my credit score?

I doubt they will let you reopen it.  You can always call and ask, but I wouldn't expect anything.  Alternatively, you could wait a little bit and apply for a new card from Discover or any of the other issuers.  It would be interesting to know if one is blackballed in this situation.

And yes, account closure is the main risk of doing this.  I think ARS pretty clearly stated that in the OP and others have stated it throughout the thread.

Your score may drop some.  By how much depends on the rest of your credit report.  For most people I think "ruin" would be on the strong side.  Wait a week for it to report the bureaus and then pull it with creditkarma or similar and see.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #2246 on: March 21, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »

I don't think it will ruin it.  Even if this is the only credit card on your report, from my understanding it will still be included in your score for several years to come until it is completely removed from the calculation.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2247 on: March 21, 2018, 02:28:12 PM »

I don't think it will ruin it.  Even if this is the only credit card on your report, from my understanding it will still be included in your score for several years to come until it is completely removed from the calculation.

It will be included in terms of average age of accounts (which is helpful) but will be excluded from available credit in terms of amount of credit used (which could be good or bad depending on how much other credit the person has and how much of it they are using).

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2248 on: March 21, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »

Did they actually give a reason for the closure? What exactly did it say?

But yeah, you are unlikely to get it reopened if they closed it for tradelines. Call in, maybe you will get lucky.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2249 on: March 21, 2018, 03:56:11 PM »

Did they actually give a reason for the closure? What exactly did it say?

But yeah, you are unlikely to get it reopened if they closed it for tradelines. Call in, maybe you will get lucky.

I tried calling and the initial operator looking at my account saw something about authorized users, but couldn't give me further details and told me to call another number. I haven't called that other number yet. If I call and they ask why I added these people, I guess I can't lie and I'll tell the truth.