Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 71367 times)

RedwoodDreams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #1100 on: April 18, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »
Another month gone by with no sales :(   

Same. And I had all my info submitted over a week before my January closing date. So, missed January, February, March and April. Admittedly, one of the 3 cards is BoA and "resting" now.

Same here - I'm actually thinking about removing my cards from this service.  I might try the "old" company and see how they do with a card or two.  The opportunity cost of just letting these cards sit in this companies queue is just too high.

FYI, old TL co. is currently accepting only high limit cards with at least $30,000 in credit limit, minimum 2 years of age, and from one of the following issuers: Barclay, Citi, Discover, PNC, USAA, or US Bank.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1101 on: April 18, 2017, 08:41:45 PM »
Lol!! Yeah, Half a dozen friends who change very other month and most with foreign sounding names. Sure way to have ICE breaking down my door at night. The Postal Service is a federal agency and I assume even the mailman gets some training on spotting signs of mail fraud.
Easy solution - stop selling your tradelines.  If you're really worried about ICE breaking down your door, small price to pay.

Did I ask anywhere in my posts for a solution? Or did I mention that I am worried about ICE? I was letting know my experience with Citi in response to another poster who had returned mail so he/she can decide if it needs any action on their part.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1102 on: April 19, 2017, 12:41:23 AM »
Wtf kind of nosy mail carriers do you guys have?  "Ms chanandler bong" regularly recieves the TV guide at my house

Car Jack

• Stubble
« Reply #1103 on: April 19, 2017, 06:16:47 AM »
Wtf kind of nosy mail carriers do you guys have?  "Ms chanandler bong" regularly recieves the TV guide at my house

There ya go.  My mail carrier will deliver mail to Darth Vader if it's addressed to my street address.  How do they know who lives there?

aetherie

• Bristles
« Reply #1104 on: April 19, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »
I've gotten one AU card delivered so far, and my mail carrier circled the name and wrote a question mark on the envelope, but did deliver it.

luisug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1105 on: April 19, 2017, 06:48:08 AM »
Hi first post for me. Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before.
I haven't sold any tradelines yet but I added a relative to help their credit score and to see how this works.

Do you have to activate the card of the AU?  and/or use it?  I noticed the card i received has the same account number as my card, so i would think my activity would suffice.

Thanks

HipGnosis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1106 on: April 19, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »
Hi first post for me. Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before.
I haven't sold any tradelines yet but I added a relative to help their credit score and to see how this works.

Do you have to activate the card of the AU?  and/or use it?  I noticed the card i received has the same account number as my card, so i would think my activity would suffice.

Thanks
You/they do not have to activate or use the AU card.  You are correct that your activity suffices.

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1107 on: April 19, 2017, 04:00:34 PM »
I guess I've been lucky to already sell 3 slots, but I am a bit annoyed that I get a notice mid-way through the day they HAVE to be added. I mean, surely it's possible to give a bit more of a heads up.

Meadow Lark

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1108 on: April 19, 2017, 07:57:23 PM »
Need advice.  I am with the old company, and have not had a bunch of AU's, but a couple.  I got a new BofA card recently for the points, and BofA reduced my credit line on one of the cards I had registered with the company.  I just ignored it because I was getting so few requests, but today they requested 2 spots on the Old card.  I called BofA and got them to increase my limit to 15k, but that's as far as they would go (I think if I cancelled the new card they would go higher.). But then, I don't want to cancel the new card, because the points are worth more than the $ I would get from the AU's.
But I am afraid they will take me out of the program...

My options
 1- cancel the new card, lose my points, get BofA to add to the credit limit of the old card
2- notify the company, possibly lose the ability to use that company again, move to the new company
3- add them to the card, which has a credit limit of $15k instead of $20k and hope no one notices.

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1109 on: April 19, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
Need advice.  I am with the old company, and have not had a bunch of AU's, but a couple.  I got a new BofA card recently for the points, and BofA reduced my credit line on one of the cards I had registered with the company.  I just ignored it because I was getting so few requests, but today they requested 2 spots on the Old card.  I called BofA and got them to increase my limit to 15k, but that's as far as they would go (I think if I cancelled the new card they would go higher.). But then, I don't want to cancel the new card, because the points are worth more than the $ I would get from the AU's.

My options
 1- cancel the new card, lose my points, get BofA to add to the credit limit of the old card
2- notify the company, possibly lose the ability to use that company again, move to the new company
3- add them to the card, which has a credit limit of $15k instead of $20k and hope no one notices.

Instead of asking to raise the credit limit, ask BoA to transfer credit limit back to your old card.

I had the same thing happen when I got a new BoA card - it took the CSR awhile to figure out how to do it, but they did it.

Meadow Lark

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1110 on: April 19, 2017, 08:08:43 PM »
I didn't explain well - that's what they did.  They moved $10k of credit from my new card to my old card, and left $5k on my new card.
I do have a third BofA card, also with $20k, but I have an AU on that - although it has already posted...  I am supposed to leave the AU on it for 3 more weeks.  Hmm.  Wonder if that would work...

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #1111 on: April 19, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
If anyone wants some other data-points, wife and I have had 5 cards active on the "old recommendation" since about August, and have had four tradeline sales in that time for roughly $1000 in revenue. Not bad for some clicking around. I had a quick sale on Chase (which was removed after some changes) and no bites since then, wife has had a few more sales on her cards (higher limits and longer credit histories).

I got curious and tallied up today: first four months of this year my wife and I rang up ~$1,000 in sales between the two of us assuming they all pay out (one didn't post).

So relatively consistent dollar wise with what I said before, though last year, we had fewer sales, at higher payout each (before the price was cut).

If that averages out, it's still "free" $3,000 a year. I won't sneeze at that.

That's for about five cards distributed semi randomly between old and new recommendation; we added some new cards, and some cards, i.e. Chase, are no longer being sold. We are pretty lazy, if the card was already getting sales on the old recommendation, we kept it and didn't move over.
Was targetting Freedom35
Currently We're Homeless and Jobless

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1112 on: April 19, 2017, 08:25:56 PM »
although it has already posted...  I am supposed to leave the AU on it for 3 more weeks.  Hmm.  Wonder if that would work...

Will it post again in the next 3 weeks? If it's a monthly schedule, it should have posted (with the right credit line limit) last week, and you will remove them just before the next statement close. Moving from the 3rd card might be your best bet?
Occasional thoughts related to FIRE: http://www.MonetaryMusings.com/
Latest post: Alternative Paths to FIRE: Part Time Job?

Meadow Lark

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1113 on: April 19, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
Yes - all of my BofA's post on the same date.
Part of me just wants to say, "Fuck it" and not bother.  I think I've made a total of $250, and it's been a long time.  But then - I am fasting today and kind of in a pissy mood.

secondcor521

• Pencil Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1114 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:57 PM »

My options

Notify the company and apologize for the laziness, oversight, or whatever else it actually was, and ask them how they'd like to proceed with this AU.

(As a possibly creative idea, you could offer to the old company to add this latest AU to your third BofA card with the $20K limit, possibly shifting credit line from your old BofA card to your third BofA card such that your third BofA card has the same CL as what the AU thought they were buying.  But it may be that your third BofA card age is not as old as the one the AU bought the line on.)
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

dlawson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1115 on: April 19, 2017, 09:26:21 PM »
Yeah, as above. Option #1 is silly and #3 is likely unethical. Notify the company and ask them what you can do to resolve the situation, and, you know, let them know next time you drop a card below what they're expecting it to be.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1116 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:29 AM »
So when do we get paid?  After we remove the AU?  Will they just send a check?

ducky19

• Stubble
« Reply #1117 on: April 20, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »
Payment should be sent 4 weeks from your card statement closing. I have them DD and it usually takes a few days from there. If it goes more than a week, I would contact them. If you're getting a paper check mailed to you, you might give it a week and a half before contacting them.

FrugalSaver

• Bristles
« Reply #1118 on: April 20, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »
As a heads up, I had my first 2 adds after 3 months on my Capital One GM Card. Both failed.

From talking with the company they believe I did everything correct. Fingers crossed for next time.

Anyone been able to use a GM card?

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1119 on: April 20, 2017, 12:27:31 PM »
I noticed they misspelled a name on an add from a week ago.  Is that something that should be corrected?  Address is right, no way to know if they got the SSN right or not.
Link to my journal, so I can find it quickly - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dandarc's-journal/

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1120 on: April 20, 2017, 04:04:18 PM »
I noticed they misspelled a name on an add from a week ago.  Is that something that should be corrected?  Address is right, no way to know if they got the SSN right or not.

Of course you need to fix it!

hoodedfalcon

• Bristles
« Reply #1121 on: April 20, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »
I just removed an AU today and didn't realize until I went to remove him that they spelled his name incorrectly. I already confirmed with the new company that the add posted correctly so maybe I just got lucky this time. Will be more vigilant next time.

secondcor521

• Pencil Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1122 on: April 20, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »
I just removed an AU today and didn't realize until I went to remove him that they spelled his name incorrectly. I already confirmed with the new company that the add posted correctly so maybe I just got lucky this time. Will be more vigilant next time.

If it's "close enough" it will work but there is risk.  To reduce the risk, I always use the pilot alphabet (Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo, etc.) and have the CSR spell back the name and read back DOB and SSN.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1123 on: April 20, 2017, 06:24:29 PM »
I got a email request today about 4:30 pm to add AU to my PNC card- first AU for that card.  I was supposed to add him today and instructions were to call PNC to add, not add online.  I ask to put on an AU and got put on hold for a bit.  Then I gave the person's name (spelled it out) and was asked if the person lived with me.  I said no, he lives in California and that I have his address. Before making the call, I had done some googling of the name and figured it was a male Iranian name.  I figured I would have to give his address so why say he lives with me. Then I was put on hold again for a few minutes.  Then a different customer representative asked me who the person was and I said it was a friend of my nephew's.  They said this was a high risk situation and that I would have to go to a PNC bank branch to add this person. I said the person lives in CA but is staying here with me temporarily.  I asked if I would have to take the person with me to PNC branch.  They said yes and I told him I would have to find a PNC branch and I was not sure I had time to take off work to do this.  I asked why it was a risky situation, given that I am responsible for paying the bill and they said it was because this person lived in California (I live in east coast state).  I acted annoyed and said I may try to put him on one of my other credit cards.  I never had a chance to give the address, SSN or DOB.

I have emailed the company about this but have not heard anything back.

DavidAnnArbor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1124 on: April 20, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
I got a email request today about 4:30 pm to add AU to my PNC card- first AU for that card.  I was supposed to add him today and instructions were to call PNC to add, not add online.  I ask to put on an AU and got put on hold for a bit.  Then I gave the person's name (spelled it out) and was asked if the person lived with me.  I said no, he lives in California and that I have his address. Before making the call, I had done some googling of the name and figured it was a male Iranian name.  I figured I would have to give his address so why say he lives with me. Then I was put on hold again for a few minutes.  Then a different customer representative asked me who the person was and I said it was a friend of my nephew's.  They said this was a high risk situation and that I would have to go to a PNC bank branch to add this person. I said the person lives in CA but is staying here with me temporarily.  I asked if I would have to take the person with me to PNC branch.  They said yes and I told him I would have to find a PNC branch and I was not sure I had time to take off work to do this.  I asked why it was a risky situation, given that I am responsible for paying the bill and they said it was because this person lived in California (I live in east coast state).  I acted annoyed and said I may try to put him on one of my other credit cards.  I never had a chance to give the address, SSN or DOB.

Wow that's a challenge!

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1125 on: April 20, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
Wondering what I did wrong.  Will report back on what the company says if I hear from them.  I am not going to try and call again to add the AU or to add him online.  i figured I have been "flagged" now for something.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1126 on: April 20, 2017, 11:37:35 PM »
Wondering what I did wrong.  Will report back on what the company says if I hear from them.  I am not going to try and call again to add the AU or to add him online.  i figured I have been "flagged" now for something.

Don't blame yourself - Pnc may have trained their people to be on alert.

As for why they care - if there's a fraudulent charge claimed in future they will have to investigate and deal with it. Time and money.

I've put my card in hold. Too much heat! :)
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

DavidAnnArbor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1127 on: April 21, 2017, 07:36:06 AM »
I got a PNC card in the hope that it would eventually be a good card to get for tradelines. Now I'm frustrated.
Is Barclay the best card to get?
Also, wondering if we could help each other's credit scores by giving each other authorized users for each other, to boost our credit score, so that when we apply for a credit card we get the maximum credit limit possible.

BeginnerStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1128 on: April 21, 2017, 07:38:30 AM »
I got a PNC card in the hope that it would eventually be a good card to get for tradelines. Now I'm frustrated.
Is Barclay the best card to get?
Also, wondering if we could help each other's credit scores by giving each other authorized users for each other, to boost our credit score, so that when we apply for a credit card we get the maximum credit limit possible.

Barclays sounds like the best card. The wifey and I got Barclays cards a few months ago mostly for the travel rewards, but also for some possible tradeline sales down the road. Worst case scenario is we only get to use the travel rewards. Still a win!

katsiki

• Bristles
« Reply #1129 on: April 21, 2017, 07:41:56 AM »
Another vote for Barclays.  They do not seem to care about AUs, good card selection and easy online adds.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1130 on: April 21, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »
Another vote for Barclays.  They do not seem to care about AUs, good card selection and easy online adds.
You do have to call with the SSN.
Link to my journal, so I can find it quickly - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dandarc's-journal/

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1131 on: April 21, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »
I wonder where arebelspy is? He hasn't been around in a while.

boarder42

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1132 on: April 21, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »

no you dont - ARS any many others have not had issue adding online and not calling in with social ...
PM me about how to save 6% on your annual grocery Bill!

There is a 35k starwood bonus right now as well. PM me for the info.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1133 on: April 21, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »
Joe posted yesterday in another thread.  Would appear he'll be in Seattle next week.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1134 on: April 21, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »

no you dont - ARS any many others have not had issue adding online and not calling in with social ...
So, you don't have to provide the SSN at all for this to work?  Because you cannot enter it on Barclay's website.

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #1135 on: April 21, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
Got my first add with new company since joining on Jan 3rd - yay! (coincidentally got one with old company on the same day as well, on a different card that I have with them). Overall it's been a productive day :). Thank you ARS, we have been enjoying the extra cash in our early FIRE days.

Awesome!  :)

New company wants me to call Citi to make sure the SSN is added. I suppose this is to ensure the tradeline posts correctly, but what a pain. I'll make the 2-5 mins call, but it was nice to just be able to add online and not have to deal with anyone over the phone.

Yeah, the phone calls are a pain in the rear. I love the all online ones.  But I can confirm that one Mustachian's Citi add from January didn't post because he didn't call to add the SSN, only did it online. It'd be a bummer to lose out on $200 (or whatever) just because of the annoyance of a 5 minute call.

FYI, I always thought that ARS recommends calling in to add the SSN even if it's not required to ensure that it posts correctly (see above post about Citi).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:33:33 AM by sw1tch »
<|> My Strava <|>

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1136 on: April 21, 2017, 08:33:16 AM »
Just completed the add on that Barclay. I forgot to give them the home address for the AU, even though it was listed in the portal. I assume it's not an issue as long as the SSN and name are there and entered correctly, but we'll see.

I'd call and get it added. Worth the 5 minute call to help ensure making $200 (or whatever). It may work, but it may not.

FYI, ARS recommends calling in to add the SSN even if it's not required to ensure that it posts correctly.
Yeah I just called the whole thing in since I was going to call anyway with the SSN.  Next time I'll enter online what I can, as only 1 out of 2 was entered correctly by the CSR.

katsiki

• Bristles
« Reply #1137 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »
I have not added SSNs since BC changed their web site a few months ago.  No issues yet.  My BC is with old TL co.  No sales yet with new co on other BC card.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1138 on: April 21, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »

Quite busy with life. :)

Kind of you to notice!

I just haven't had time for participating in the forums since early March, almost 1.5 months now. From my "show unread replies to your posts," looks like I stopped foruming March 7. The only foruming I've done since then has been (in order of priority):
1) Responding to PMs.
2) Popping on to respond to moderation requests or problems with the site (after the server move).
3) Responding in this thread.

I haven't done #3 in a week or two either now, but you guys seem to handle most stuff.  :)

I do keep an eye on the thread via email notifications (thus me seeing this comment) and have some comments/suggestions sometimes, but nothing major enough for me to worry about jumping in, unless no one responds to something and I need to send a PM. (Tip: if you get an unhelpful CS representative, just say thanks, hang up, and try a different one).

I'm in SoCal right now (flew back from Japan earlier this week), and probably going to meet up in person with owner of new company, so that'll be good. Headed to Seattle soon. Would love to meet up with any Mustachians.  :)

Like I said above though, I respond to all PMs, usually quite quickly, definitely within 24 hours, even if I've scaled back my normal participation. If you need anything, or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me, and I'll do my best to help. Asking in this thread usually works great as a first resort though.  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1139 on: April 21, 2017, 09:30:10 AM »
Got my first add with new company since joining on Jan 3rd - yay! (coincidentally got one with old company on the same day as well, on a different card that I have with them). Overall it's been a productive day :). Thank you ARS, we have been enjoying the extra cash in our early FIRE days.

Awesome!  :)

New company wants me to call Citi to make sure the SSN is added. I suppose this is to ensure the tradeline posts correctly, but what a pain. I'll make the 2-5 mins call, but it was nice to just be able to add online and not have to deal with anyone over the phone.

Yeah, the phone calls are a pain in the rear. I love the all online ones.  But I can confirm that one Mustachian's Citi add from January didn't post because he didn't call to add the SSN, only did it online. It'd be a bummer to lose out on $200 (or whatever) just because of the annoyance of a 5 minute call.

FYI, I always thought that ARS recommends calling in to add the SSN even if it's not required to ensure that it posts correctly (see above post about Citi).

The reason Citi doesn't work is because the tradeline company doesn't give you the AU's address. IIRC, Citi does have a field to put this address, so I don't know why they don't provide that information.

cheapass

• Bristles
« Reply #1140 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
Payment should be sent 4 weeks from your card statement closing. I have them DD and it usually takes a few days from there. If it goes more than a week, I would contact them. If you're getting a paper check mailed to you, you might give it a week and a half before contacting them.

4 weeks after which statement closing?

My first add was March 14, right before closing. I have to keep the AU on until approx. May 14 to fulfill my obligation. When would I expect to be paid?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1141 on: April 21, 2017, 11:23:23 AM »

My first add was March 14, right before closing. I have to keep the AU on until approx. May 14 to fulfill my obligation. When would I expect to be paid?

I don't think it's that structured. Still waiting for my payment from one that closed on 3/6.

BeginnerStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1142 on: April 21, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »

You won't get paid within 4 weeks of the add. Expect it more like 8 weeks or so. That seems to be about average. You added in March so payment "should" be sometime in May. 

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1143 on: April 21, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »

Wow that's a challenge!

The other thing that went wrong on this PNC call was that I was unable to give an answer to one of the initial security questions about my Mom.  A year or so ago, I stopped providing actual family names for security questions for financial accounts and was assigning ficticous names and keeping track of them.  i did not have this info handy when I called PNC and I told them so, so they asked me some other questions like DOB and last four of SS and I thought I was all good.  But this may have flagged me as a potential fraud problem, which led to further questioning by the 2nd CSR and them scrutinizing the request.  It turns out my security info that I have been tracking for PNC did not involve my mother, so they probably have the actual name they were seeking from when I established an account with years ago and I did not have that name written down.  Lessons learned, have all the correct security info you need before you make the phone call.

I did hear back from the company and they said they have never experienced that kind of problem with PNC, that PNC is pretty reliable.  We discussed trying to add again and telling PNC that the AU lives with me, but then thought maybe the backtracking might be a risk, so I am going to take a pass on this and the company is going to try and get this AU a replacement card.  So hopefully this is not a PNC problem that others need to worry about, but me just screwing up on the call.

cheapass

• Bristles
« Reply #1144 on: April 21, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »

You won't get paid within 4 weeks of the add. Expect it more like 8 weeks or so. That seems to be about average. You added in March so payment "should" be sometime in May.

Good to know. Thanks

DavidAnnArbor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1145 on: April 21, 2017, 02:28:50 PM »
Glad to hear you'll - Arebelspy - likely meet with the owner of the tradeline company.
 Face-to-face meetings are probably the best way to develop trust, get a sense of how things are going, I just think the communication all around is vastly improved.
 I'll bet you'll have some great suggestions for the owner - you have a lot of experience with websites.

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1146 on: April 22, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »

Hang Up, Call Again (HUCA)

FrugalSaver

• Bristles
Anyone I'd any issues with a Capital One GM Card?   Both of mine failed last month.

Arebelspy, any insights from the owner of the company?