Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906461 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Barclays doesn't ask for SSN in the online add form, so I'm thinking maybe I need to call and give them SSN just to add all info that can help with a correct posting.

Yes, you should call and add the SSN after adding the AU online.  If they ask why, just say "for security reasons" (i.e. you want it tied to that particular AU).

Like I said to MsFrugalista, the calls are annoying, but it's worth it to increase the chance of getting paid.

It doesn't guarantee it (as FrugalZony said, sometimes they just don't post), but it helps a lot.

I've never had a Barclay not post.   Just counted and have sold 29 lines between my wife and myself (a couple pending payment, so I can't verify they've ALL posted, but all up through Jan).

Also make sure you have a charge on the card (i.e. a balance) when the statement closes.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ka-ching!  I got paid $150 for my first (and only so far) AU added on 1-11-17 to my CapOne card (3 yrs old, $15K limit). 

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Just got three more adds to my Citi - another $600 in the bank!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Still waiting on my first sale from the new company. Three cards with them, and I started just before New Year's (all signed paperwork, etc in by the 3rd) - one is a BoA, so I'm down to 2 "active" with them.

I'm developing patience :)

MsFrugalista

• Stubble

New company wants me to call Citi to make sure the SSN is added. I suppose this is to ensure the tradeline posts correctly, but what a pain. I'll make the 2-5 mins call, but it was nice to just be able to add online and not have to deal with anyone over the phone.

Do you add online and then call just to give them the SSN?  Or have you been doing everything over the phone?

I still haven't added them, but I was planning on calling in and doing everything over the phone. It looks like you can add online initially and call in to add AU's SSN according to some other's here. I'll just do it all over the phone and then check online to ensure the spelling and details of the AU are accurate.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
The new company has yet to ask me to remove a couple AU's I added in early January. Is this typical?

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
I was just asked to remove the two I had in January on Friday.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
Following

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
The new company has yet to ask me to remove a couple AU's I added in early January. Is this typical?

I'm also interested to learn what is typical- for how the date you get paid might be related to when you remove the AUs.

I added two AUs 3rd week in January, and was paid for them last week. I know that payment is related to whether they posted or not, and when. The company might want to leave them posted for xxx amount of time?  Have not been asked to remove them yet. 

I'm guessing it's probably some function of AU add date, statement closing date, and the date the AU is posted (on credit report?)? 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
The AU spots are sold for two months.  Typically thye have you remove the AUs when you receive the next sale. That's been a manual process up until now, like the rest.

This should become automated once fully switched over to the portal.

Old company's portal had the date you were good to remove them, if the new one doesn't, I'll suggest it.. I haven't had a sale through the portal yet, just manuals recently, so I'm not sure--though I have seen a few referral sales go through the portal, so I know they're just starting to use it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
Has anyone else noticed that sales of Barclaycard spots often don't post correctly?

How does one learn this? Do they tell you when it doesn't post correctly?

Still curious to know the answer to this.... I had an add the 4th week of Jan, 1st week of Feb and 4th week of Feb. I'm assuming they posted because I haven't heard from them indicating otherwise, yet other people have commented about cards not posting, so it's kind of confusing. I also haven't received any $$$ yet though.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Has anyone else noticed that sales of Barclaycard spots often don't post correctly?

How does one learn this? Do they tell you when it doesn't post correctly?

Still curious to know the answer to this.... I had an add the 4th week of Jan, 1st week of Feb and 4th week of Feb. I'm assuming they posted because I haven't heard from them indicating otherwise, yet other people have commented about cards not posting, so it's kind of confusing. I also haven't received any $$$ yet though.

Yes, you'll either get paid if it posted, or get a copy of the credit report showing it didn't post if it didn't.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
Yes, you'll either get paid if it posted, or get a copy of the credit report showing it didn't post if it didn't.

Is there any rhyme or reason to why certain cards don't post? Is there anything we can do to increase the chances this would happen? Other than maintain a balance? Do larger balances have a greater chance of posting, etc? Anyone know if USAA cards have issues posting?

LizzyBee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Can you have the same card with more than one tradeline company as long as you are careful not to add too many authorized users?

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
Well shit, another month come and gone without any adds. I've got a $33K card that's 3 years old and a $12K card that's 5 years old. Signed up in January.

sol

• Walrus Stache
Well shit, another month come and gone without any adds. I've got a $33K card that's 3 years old and a $12K card that's 5 years old. Signed up in January.

Mine are even better than that, and still no sales.  This whole thing is a bust, thus far.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
This whole thing is a bust, thus far.

Same for me, and probably others.

missundecided

• Bristles

Me too.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Mine are even better than that, and still no sales.  This whole thing is a bust, thus far.
It could be that your 'better' cards are to 'costly' to the buyers(renters). 

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
I got an Email (from the (new) Co.) that my AU add last week wasn’t completed in time
Thru EMails (which were prompt) I found out that;
On the Portal; My Tasks;  shows (in red) “Add Completed”   THIS IS A BUTTON TO PRESS after doing the add!  I thought it was a confirmation...

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
I guess I spoke too soon, just got an email for my first add!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
To that point, I have some new information pending about upcoming sales.  Give me til the beginning of next week, due to the weekend, but update coming.
ARS, did I miss this, or am I just a little impatient?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
To that point, I have some new information pending about upcoming sales.  Give me til the beginning of next week, due to the weekend, but update coming.

C'mon - the guy is RE, traveling the world with his wife and baby and posting mostly via phone. I forget the time zone.  Patience. :D

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Just got a last minute add to my Citi card - that's four for the month at $200 a pop! Doing my happy dance today!

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache

Me too.

Same here. Had 3 sales with the "old" company last year. Registered with the new one, no sales. No sales with the old one this year either. My credit cards are good, the oldest one is over 5 years old with a high credit line.

medinaj2160

• Stubble
No sale here either. One of my car says "Resting Card" instead of "Active" what does that mean?

sw1tch

• Bristles
No sale here either. One of my car says "Resting Card" instead of "Active" what does that mean?

I'm pretty sure that has to do with specific types of cards that currently have issues or are not allowed.

Currently, I have 2 cards that show as "resting":
    - My Bank of America card - if you've read up-thread a little bit it makes sense since BoA accounts are getting shut down
    - My Chase card - I didn't meet their 25K limit for a chase card but added it anyway; I assumed that was why it showed as resting

sol

• Walrus Stache

It means they're not even offering it to anyone right now. 

If it's a chase or BofA card, it's been shut down indefinitely.  If it's a card that has previously had sales, it's probably just on pause to avoid bank suspicion from too many AUs.

I shouldn't complain about NOT getting any benefit out of this idea, but it does sting a little to watch other folks rolling in free money.  Rebs is apparently making about $50k/yr just from tradelines in retirement, in addition to his consulting and his wife's novel writing, and their real estate empire (which I think is 14 properties now?)

Based on the information presented in this thread for prices and number of eligible sales, my specific cards should be worth roughly $10k/year in potential tradeline sales.  Instead, three months in and it's still exactly $0.00.  What a colossal waste of time and attention.  Apparently I should just keep my 9 to 5.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:13:56 AM by sol »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Got an e-mail from the New Company.  Need to add 2 AUs to my Barclay card.

Question:  When I add them online, do I need to enter the AU's address, or can I just choose "same as primary cardholder's address"?  I already added one of them, and entered his address, but made sure that the card will be delivered to my address.  Is that what I was supposed to do?  Or did I need to enter his address at all?

And after I add them online, I have to call Barclay's to give them the SSN's, right?

Thanks.

tj

• Handlebar Stache

Question:  When I add them online, do I need to enter the AU's address, or can I just choose "same as primary cardholder's address"?  I already added one of them, and entered his address, but made sure that the card will be delivered to my address.  Is that what I was supposed to do?  Or did I need to enter his address at all?

And after I add them online, I have to call Barclay's to give them the SSN's, right?

Thanks.

ARS stated that he never added the SSN for Barclays and it's never not posted. YMMV of course.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

Is there any rhyme or reason to why certain cards don't post? Is there anything we can do to increase the chances this would happen? Other than maintain a balance? Do larger balances have a greater chance of posting, etc? Anyone know if USAA cards have issues posting?

Sometimes they just don't post.  But usually it's the case of the info necessary (like SSN) not being put in, so the CC company tries to report it, but it doesn't show up or report correctly.  Make sure you add in the SSNs, addresses, any info needed.  And yes, have it close with a balance.

Can you have the same card with more than one tradeline company as long as you are careful not to add too many authorized users?

No.

I got an Email (from the (new) Co.) that my AU add last week wasn’t completed in time
On the Portal; My Tasks;  shows (in red) “Add Completed”   THIS IS A BUTTON TO PRESS after doing the add!  I thought it was a confirmation...

Good to know!  Thanks for letting us know!

Neither.  I was waiting for some email clarification, and then yesterday I was on an 11 hour flight Auckland to Tokyo, plus time zone.  Coming in my next post.

Just got a last minute add to my Citi card - that's four for the month at $200 a pop! Doing my happy dance today!

Nice!

This is what I was expecting for people.  More info in the next post.

Thanks.

Add them online, use the AU's address (though the card will be sent to yours, and will say so).

If you want to make extra sure it posts, call and ask to add the SSN.  Not 100% necessary (I don't), but probably worth the effort just to help ensure it (if I ever had one not post, I'd probably regret losing the $200 or so, and then start calling each time... I'm gambling for the moment on saving my time versus the money).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Okay, so... some frustrating news, but it should clarify things.

Those of you that aren't seeing adds?  It's because you weren't in the system.

...yeah.  =/

I just found out, when inquiring why many people are getting multiple adds over and over, three months in a row now, while others with good cards are seeing no sales, that they basically were only using a small subset of cards (I believe the ones that got enrolled first at the end of December, then were collecting the info/required paperwork, so they'd have it for the future when the portal went live, but stopped adding the cards into their sales pipeline).

In essence, to put card into their "old system" (which was really just a bunch of excel spreadsheets with about a million tabs) was a LOT of work.  Thus why they were trying to get the portal online.  So they only added some Mustachians' cards to the old system.

Thus all of you sitting, waiting the last two months never even had a chance to get adds.  =/

This is super disappointing to me, as I don't feel like it was communicated very well at all. I'm sure disappointing for you reading it as well.

I was taken aback when I found out about this (end of last week, and then sent some clarifying emails over the weekend/early this week) enough to even contact some other tradeline companies I've previously passed over, to do some more due diligence. 

Customer service is very important to me, and the combination of some of you not hearing back on questions (and thus me having to follow up on your behalf) and then this, well, I'm pretty upset about it.  At this point, I'm still recommending them, as I think they're the best option, but it is a frustrating event, for sure.

I shouldn't complain about NOT getting any benefit out of this idea, but it does sting a little to watch other folks rolling in free money.

I hear ya.  And I feel extremely bad.

This is what I wrote to the owner:
Oof.. I understand why you went this route, I just wish you had said something to me.

It would have been much easier to tell everyone up front "Hey, there's too many people to process manually, they're working on setting up the portal, and you won't see adds until then."

Then their expectation would have been set appropriately.

Instead they heard "you'll get adds soon!" from me and emails from you saying "you'll see adds in February" and they got nothing... and now they will hear "Well...actually they only added some people. The rest of you that signed up were told you were put in the system, but they didn't bother to really do that yet, sorry!"

I'm sure you can see how that's quite disappointing (versus being told up front).

The bottom line is: The communication was poorly handled.  The owner thought the portal would be ready MUCH quicker than it was, so he was telling people "You won't see adds until February" because he was thinking the portal would be up mid- to end- of January, and then everyone would start seeing adds in Feb.

Instead the portal was put up mid- to end- of Feb, and just started being used this week for adds.

The bottom line: if your cards are in the online portal, you're in the system now. Those cards are visible to potential AUs, and eligible to be purchased at any time.

If your cards aren't in the portal, get them in!

Best to pretend at this point that you submitted your info in January (which was still necessary to do) and were just waiting for the portal to open and them to switch over sales to (which they have, now this past week).

I can't do anything about the last few months not seeing sales.  Just crossing my fingers you all start getting sales going forward.  Please post if you do, or don't.

Sorry guys. I feel terrible when something I've recommended/endorsed gives a negative experience.  :(

Hopefully you'll all be posting like ducky19's post above, in just a few months.  :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

Thanks.

ARS stated that he never added the SSN for Barclays and it's never not posted. YMMV of course.

Thanks, tj.

The company owner just told me that I should not add AUs for Barclay on the Barclay site.  Rather, I should call Barclay to make the adds.  Also, he suggested that I insist on giving Barclay the AU's SSN, even if they tell me it's not necessary.

Still not sure whether I need to give Barclay the AU's address...

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

Thanks.

It's better to add the AU's address and the SSN (via a phone call).  I had been adding the Barclay's AUs via the online form but will switch to calling in per NinetyFour's post immediately above.

Credit reports are created by the credit agencies collecting vast amounts of information and trying to combine that data into individual credit reports.  Think about it - how does the credit agency know that an item belongs on my report vs. someone else's?  They look at the identifying information and make an educated guess via an algorithm if there is "enough" of a match.  The more of the items that are present and the more exact of a match, the more likely it is to end up on the person's credit report.  They don't spell it out, but the identifying information is clearly first/last/middle name, address, date of birth, and SSN.  (Also, there doesn't have to be an exact match; my father's and my credit reports' early histories were intertwined because we share a first and last name and shared an address before I left for college.  Not a problem as we both have stellar credit.)

So do whatever you want, but if you want to get paid and continue to get sales in the future, I'd recommend adding all of the information that the company gives you and do whatever you can to make sure it is added correctly.  Personally, I always add name, DOB, SSN, and address, and if I'm doing it over the phone I have the CSR read it back to me to make sure it's correct.  I also make sure to carry a small balance whenever I have AUs on my card.  I've had 100% success so far with these techniques - which are simply what the companies ask you to do in the information they send.  You could do less than that and maybe still succeed - ARS does, and that's fine with me.  Personally I figure why do something part way and take a risk of wasting some of my time, making the company look bad, and increase the risk of not getting paid just to save myself five or ten minutes of additional hassle?  But again, everyone can weigh it out for themselves.

tj

• Handlebar Stache

Thanks.

Thanks, tj.

The company owner just told me that I should not add AUs for Barclay on the Barclay site.  Rather, I should call Barclay to make the adds.  Also, he suggested that I insist on giving Barclay the AU's SSN, even if they tell me it's not necessary.

Still not sure whether I need to give Barclay the AU's address...

Why don't you want to give them the AU's address? It's probably more likely to post if you use the address.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache

I have not used the portal yet for an actual sale, so maybe I am confusing myself...

Does the above mean to click the button after you performed the add?  ie Similar to the way that old TL company had a button.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

I have not used the portal yet for an actual sale, so maybe I am confusing myself...

Does the above mean to click the button after you performed the add?  ie Similar to the way that old TL company had a button.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

Yes, that is what HipG is saying. Once you've added the AU with info from the portal, you click the "add completed" text, which is a button you must click that confirms to the company that you did that add (similar to how you'd email them confirmation before).

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Hey guys & gals...

This may give everyone some hope.  I too have had no sales yet.  I just noticed that one of my cards is showing a sale to start in April.  Woohoo! 

Hopefully, everyone will start seeing activity soon!!

sol

• Walrus Stache
they basically were only using a small subset of cards... stopped adding the cards into their sales pipeline.

We (spouse and I) had already concluded that it was something like this.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:21:42 PM by sol »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
So, my two active cards closed on the 13th. The 3rd is now "resting."

That means I have now missed 3 months of sales because the company couldn't be bothered to add me into their old system.

And I've been checking that email all the time just to be able to respond quickly.

It's incredibly frustrating to me, and I feel disrespected by the tradeline company.  They misled me literally for months.

After sending all my information and completing the back-and-forth emails on January 3rd, about a week later I specifically asked:

"Just checking in to make sure everything was added to your system without issue. Please let me know if you need anything else from me."

(owner) response:

"Yes, everything is good and there's nothing further needed at this time... "

No caveat about waiting for the portal, just to be patient until February because of the many new cards.

It's nice that other Mustachians have been able to get sales.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
Sometimes they just don't post.  But usually it's the case of the info necessary (like SSN) not being put in, so the CC company tries to report it, but it doesn't show up or report correctly.  Make sure you add in the SSNs, addresses, any info needed.  And yes, have it close with a balance.

I was always confused when people said this. So we are supposed to close with an interest bearing balance??  Obviously a few cents in interest is a lot less than $150/2 or whatever but I was not quite sure if we are supposed to charge something to the card let the statement close with a charge on the card or charge the card then just pay it off a few days later within the statement. I thought it was the latter.

edited for clarity.

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I was always confused when people said this. So we are supposed to close with an interest bearing balance??  Obviously a few cents in interest is a lot less than $150/2 or whatever but I was not quite sure if we are supposed to charge something to the card let the statement close with a charge on the card or charge the card then just pay it off a few days later within the statement. I thought it was the latter.

edited for clarity.

you let it close with a balance, but pay it before the due date.  No interest charged.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

edited for clarity.

The recommended practice is to have a balance on your statement closing date, which will show up on your statement.  As long as you (always) pay that balance in full by the payment due date approximately 25 days later, you will not have to pay any interest.

To give a practical example, I have a Barclay's card which has a statement closing date of the 15th and a due date of the 12th.  I got an AU add on that card on 3/8.  I used the card on 2/18 to add $2.50 to my Amazon account, which will show up as my statement balance on 3/15, which I will pay off by 4/12.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache

edited for clarity.

That's... not how credit cards work.

I charge $5 on my card.
Next week, say on March 25, I get an email saying "Your statement is now available! Your payment is due April 22."
My statement has closed with a $5 balance.
I owe them that $5 by April 22.
If I don't pay it in full by then, on April 23 they will start charging me interest.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
they basically were only using a small subset of cards... stopped adding the cards into their sales pipeline.

We (spouse and I) had already concluded that it was something like this, because not only did we not get any sales, we didn't get any further communications from them at all, after enrollment.  Just last week we finally contacted them again and had to request access to the online portal, because they hadn't even told us it was live.  I only knew about it from this thread. 

I could forgive a genuine misunderstanding, but they literally lied to us about our cards being added.  Outright lied.

I will attempt to forgive this supreme shittiness if things improve in the future, but my hopes are not terribly high.  This is no way to run a business.

I have a feeling they are so ridiculously flooded with cards it would be surprising if you get any adds. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but since they weren't/aren't able to handle the flood of cards, I doubt they will handle a flood of business. I think I got while the gettin' was good. Now I am not expecting much if any going forward. Seems pointless to sign my SO up. 

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
Just got an email from Capital One that my AU's card shipped out to me today.

To confirm - we do not need to activate AU cards correct?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache

Nope, feel free to shred them.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

Nope, feel free to shred them.

On my most recent add, the new company explicitly requested that I activate the card:  "Once it is received, activate it, and hold onto it until we tell you to destroy it."

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears

edited for clarity.

you let it close with a balance, but pay it before the due date.  No interest charged.

ah! never paid that much attention. usually just paid it off within a week or it was $1000 that took a couple of months to pay down.

ThatOtherGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is this still a thing..?  I mean, I seems right on the line of what's legal & ethical..  none-the-less I'm interested..

I've tried to message arebelspy for more info, but I can't seem to answer the questions right..

[ Where MMM lives..?? ]
WhoIs says;
560 E TIMPANOGOS PKWY
OREM UTAH 84097
http://www.whois.com/whois/mrmoneymustache.com

..but apparently that's wrong.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!