Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1916521 times)

g.asunc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #5950 on: April 28, 2023, 12:42:07 PM »
Does anyone know what the max authorized users is for AmEx (non charge cards)?

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5951 on: April 28, 2023, 12:52:42 PM »
For those who sold Amex AUs recently, was it worth it? Does Amex require that you activate the AU card or even spend money on it? I think someone mentioned it in the past. Any recent issues with TLs not posting or account closures with Amex?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #5952 on: April 28, 2023, 01:25:09 PM »
I think I had one non posting AU on Amex with Old Company.  They confirmed it wasn't me and Amex just doesn't post well.  IIRC they stopped accepting Amex shortly after that.

I always ask for an AU card and always activate it on arrival as a matter of habit and business practice.

I never spend on the AU card itself.  I do make small charges on my cards when they have active AUs on them.

I was doing one slot and I think it was $150ish per slot.  "Worth it" is subjective.

I don't remember any issues with Amex specifically.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 01:29:46 PM by secondcor521 »

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #5953 on: April 30, 2023, 11:36:21 AM »
Is anyone else having trouble getting on to Elan’s Fidelity credit card website today? My card is not showing up on my Fidelity account. I thought maybe they closed it, so I tried calling in and the automated system seems to indicate it’s still open.

Worked for me just now via fidelity.com -> log in -> portfolio -> credit cards.

Thank you for the feedback. I just checked again and my card is now showing up again! It must have been a fluke.

uneven_cyclist

• Stubble
Has anyone else gone for a significant period with the old/original company without any sales?  I have three cards active and I think it's been 4-6 months without any sales?  Not sure if there is really anything I can do in any event, but I'm curious to know if others were be experiencing this as well?  Arebelspy (as well as the company) mentioned that things slow down in winter and likely pick up in summer...not sure how extreme this is but thought I would check here with the community as well!  Thanks all!

MoMoney88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I think in general there is a slow-down, a lot less people buying houses than the previous few years.

I checked my #'s for 3 of my main cards....

For 2021
Jan 1 - Apr 30  ---  I had 11 AU's

For 2022
Jan 1 - Apr 30  ---  I had 10 AU's

For 2023
Jan 1 - Apr 30  ---  I had 3 AU's

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
It varies month to month for no apparent rhyme or reason.  It also varies by card, again for reasons I can't figure out.

February, June, and October are historically strong months for me.  I've no idea why.

2023 is currently on track for me to be in the ballpark of 2022, 2021, and 2020.  2019 was around 25% less.

:shrug:

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
I just got a new order on my best-selling Barclays card today which puts me at about 75% of what I made in all of 2022 (albeit some of those won't pay out for 1-2 months). I did add two more cards with the old company but most of my sales are still on the first two cards I added. My Barclays card sell all 3 slots pretty consistently.

uneven_cyclist

• Stubble
Ok cool!  Thanks for the feedback.  Super helpful to hear from others, as I only have a small number of cards in the mix and it's tough to identify any patterns/issues etc.

I'll continue to add cards into the mix and hopefully things will even out over time!

Thanks again for the replies.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
Has the old company been accepting new cards or only from existing sellers?

I signed up for the waiting list probably two years ago at this point and haven't heard anything.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache

I signed up for the waiting list probably two years ago at this point and haven't heard anything.

They have not opened enrollment for new cards in a looooong time. For both new and existing sellers.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache

They have not opened enrollment for new cards in a looooong time. For both new and existing sellers.

The old company let me add two new cards a few months ago. Both were over two years old.

nedwin

• Stubble
Has anyone had trouble with AUs posting with Capital One recently with old company or any other service?  I have a Capital One card with old company which has been consistently filled with no posting issues, except the most recent AU claims it did not post on their credit report.  This AU was definitely added, they show as an AU in my online account and most recent statement, and I received the card from Capital One.  Capital One's online add process was slightly different this time, where a second window popped up asking for the AU's ssn in order to "provide online access."  I remember adding the SSN with prior AUs so did so this time also.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
Has anyone had trouble with AUs posting with Capital One recently with old company or any other service?  I have a Capital One card with old company which has been consistently filled with no posting issues, except the most recent AU claims it did not post on their credit report.  This AU was definitely added, they show as an AU in my online account and most recent statement, and I received the card from Capital One.  Capital One's online add process was slightly different this time, where a second window popped up asking for the AU's ssn in order to "provide online access."  I remember adding the SSN with prior AUs so did so this time also.

I had the same second window

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

Some times they just don't post.  It's about a 1% of the time issue.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
What's the AU limit per card with Barclays? Is it 35?

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Something like that. I looked back at my records, and it actually was 35 total.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
I received a weird voicemail from Barclays security recently saying that they received information from the credit bureaus, and they believe one of my accounts might not be valid. I have a couple of cards and use one of them for TLs. I googled the number to make sure it wasnt phishing, then called it. The representative checked my account and said there was no problem. I checked my account online and credit karma and didn't see anything wrong there either. Has anyone else received a similar call?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
I received a weird voicemail from Barclays security recently saying that they received information from the credit bureaus, and they believe one of my accounts might not be valid. I have a couple of cards and use one of them for TLs. I googled the number to make sure it wasnt phishing, then called it. The representative checked my account and said there was no problem. I checked my account online and credit karma and didn't see anything wrong there either. Has anyone else received a similar call?

I have not received such a call and don't remember anyone here reporting that.

It seems odd to me with the outcome of your follow up call.  I would be careful of such cases as it could be spoofing.  It is pretty easy for someone to fake caller id.  Using a number of a big credit card company or bank and then hoping to get someone to disclose information seems like a tactic a baddie might use.  Be careful! 

I might suggest calling the number on the back of the card in such instances also in addition to confirming the number via google and calling it back.

You may know all of this, OP.  Others may not so I hope it helps someone.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

I agree with @katsiki; sounds very much like a phishing attempt.  In such cases I always call the number on the back of my card and never call the number they leave in the voice mail or the number the voice mail came from.  I could try to verify the number they gave via Google, but I'm not confident I would be able to 100% guarantee that process would be bulletproof.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache

It seems odd to me with the outcome of your follow up call.  I would be careful of such cases as it could be spoofing.  It is pretty easy for someone to fake caller id.  Using a number of a big credit card company or bank and then hoping to get someone to disclose information seems like a tactic a baddie might use.  Be careful! 

I might suggest calling the number on the back of the card in such instances also in addition to confirming the number via google and calling it back.

I googled the number before calling. I is listed as barclays on gehuman.com, a website which i had used before several times. Then when i called and entered my card details, the automated system told me the exact card balance, which I double checked online and it was correct and included very recent charges. So if that was a scam, it must have been an extremely sophisticated one.

Here's the number btw https://gethuman.com/phone-number/Barclays/customer-service/~15284

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15

I googled the number before calling. I is listed as barclays on gehuman.com, a website which i had used before several times. Then when i called and entered my card details, the automated system told me the exact card balance, which I double checked online and it was correct and included very recent charges. So if that was a scam, it must have been an extremely sophisticated one.

Here's the number btw https://gethuman.com/phone-number/Barclays/customer-service/~15284

Sometimes banks do the things that they tell you not to respond to. Earlier this year, Chase called me to verify my identity for a new account by reading off a two-factor authentication code they were going to send me. I hung up but it turned out to be legit (if a terrible practice and useless because they called me on the number they were going to send the code to).

uneven_cyclist

• Stubble
Hello all -- in terms of a portfolio of cards for TLs...I'm thinking of using one card per issuer and then limiting to 2 AUs per card...I think the old company has this as a limit as well of 2 AUs per card, so that's sort of a moot point anyway.

With that being said...would it make sense to have two cards in play from Barclays?  Thinking about this because I have heard that risk of closure from this issuer is quite low.  I haven't even signed up for the cards yet from them, but I'm trying to define what the end goal looks like so I can apply for the right cards as fast as possible.

Basically my vision is to just have one card for each issuer that the old company will allow, and maybe two for Barclays, and maybe or maybe not sell TLs with Chase and then at that point declare my TL sidehustle to be fully established. 

Anything else I would really want to do or consider?

Thanks!

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Hello all -- in terms of a portfolio of cards for TLs...I'm thinking of using one card per issuer and then limiting to 2 AUs per card...I think the old company has this as a limit as well of 2 AUs per card, so that's sort of a moot point anyway.

With that being said...would it make sense to have two cards in play from Barclays?  Thinking about this because I have heard that risk of closure from this issuer is quite low.  I haven't even signed up for the cards yet from them, but I'm trying to define what the end goal looks like so I can apply for the right cards as fast as possible.

Basically my vision is to just have one card for each issuer that the old company will allow, and maybe two for Barclays, and maybe or maybe not sell TLs with Chase and then at that point declare my TL sidehustle to be fully established. 

Thanks!

Barclay is the absolute best and easiest for tradelines. I always have at least 2-3 cards open at all times with them, for both my wife and I. This allows me to sell on one (each) and season the next one so it's ready to go when I hit the max lifetime users. You can also shift your credit limit around so you can maximize the available credit on one card, making those slots more lucrative. I usually sell 6 slots a piece on these cards (using multiple companies) and have never had an issue with Barclay closing a card. Very occasionally, one won't post, but it's rare. Don't sell on Chase unless you're good with them shutting all of your cards down. I had 5 Chase cards and sold a total of 2 slots before they shut all of my cards down.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

Thanks!

The old company has recommendations as to slots per card, but it can vary by issuer.  I generally go with whatever they recommend.  You can always be more conservative if you prefer.  And that's really what it is - a degree of preference for risk.  Shutdowns are always possible but increase with more AUs, more slots, more cards, not following instructions, just bad luck, and using certain issuers.  It's just up to you to decide what you're comfortable with.

Almost all issuers have various rules on how many cards you can apply for in a given time frame, how often you can ask for a credit limit increase, etc.  And for me, I don't enroll cards with Old Company until they're two years old because I'd rather do the same amount of add/remove AU hassle for $200 a slot rather than $50 a slot or whatever it is.

Barclays does have the lifetime AU limit, which I've hit on my current card.  I plan to apply for another card but have to wait until the fall I think (due to other cards and inquiries).  If/when I get the new Barclays card, I'll do as the previous poster suggested - move the CL over and close the old card.

With most issuers any card will work, and for me personally TL sales are almost always far more lucrative than 3% cash back on groceries or no foreign transaction fee or whatever other benefits the card has.  I will look for signup bonuses, though, because I can get the card, get the signup bonus, downgrade after a year to avoid the AF, then sock drawer the card for another year then enroll it in TL sales.

Like most of us who do this kind of thing, it'd be good for you to set up tracking spreadsheets.  If you know when you opened which card, when you got that bonus, when you added/removed this or that AU, how much you got paid, etc., then you can do a better job optimizing.  Planning ahead, like you're doing, is also probably smart.

uneven_cyclist

• Stubble
Thanks secondcor521 and ducky19...I'll check out the documentation to see what the recs are on slots/issuers etc (probably a good time to review all of that stuff as I start digging a bit deeper into this).

ducky19 -- six slots per card that's awesome!  I had not really considered more than 2 AUs at a time but now I'm reconsidering my strategy for sure.  You mentioned that you have one active and one seasoning at any given time, and usually same for your wife.  Have either of you ever sold actively on two (or more) Barclays cards at the same time?    Or would that be risky even for that issuer?  Granted, we all have our own risk tolerance and so on, but just trying to gain a sense of things.

secondcor521...hearing you about spreadsheets and tracking...I do have a sheet that I started a few years ago for churning cards, but it is in definite need of an overhaul -- just visually not easy to navigate as it has just gained columns and formatting and turned into a bit of a sprawl. Something to tackle soon.  With you 100% as well on chasing sign-up bonuses and then downgrading as opposed to rewards categories.
 When possible, I love having every dollar I spend go toward earning a sign-up bonus.  It's not always possible, of course, but I do often have the feeling like if I'm not spending toward a sign-up bonus like I'm leaving money on the table.  One thing I've found is that sometimes downgrading can be more of a challenge than it should be...it took me like 5 calls to downgrade a Citi card recently and I had to time it just right and connect with the right person etc. so there is a learning curve with a lot of this stuff...but of course it all comes back to that tracking system you mentioned so that each subsequent job can be more efficient with less wasted time.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice, this is a super helpful thread/topic.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
About downgrading premium Barclays cards: in my experience, you can only downgrade a card to the same co-branded card if there is a non-annual-fee version available. There are several co-branded cards that only have premium versions with an annual fee. Something to keep in mind.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Another Mustachian in a different thread mentioned that a bank came after (sued) a person who was paid for adding an unkown authorized user.  It's somewhere in this huge thread.  Anyone know what page number by any chance?  I'd like to sell tradelines but I am worried about any legal implications.  Just wondering how that was resolved and if it was true or not.  I think it's in this thread, anyways.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Another Mustachian in a different thread mentioned that a bank came after (sued) a person who was paid for adding an unkown authorized user.  It's somewhere in this huge thread.  Anyone know what page number by any chance?  I'd like to sell tradelines but I am worried about any legal implications.  Just wondering how that was resolved and if it was true or not.  I think it's in this thread, anyways.

The only mentions of suing in this thread that I could find are people suing issuers for closing their accounts without providing a reason.

You might try clicking the "Print" button in the lower right, which will put the whole thread in a single screen where you can search for other terms.  I just searched for " sue " (you have to put the extra space in before to avoid matching with "issuer", which is used much more frequently on this thread).

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
You might try clicking the "Print" button in the lower right, which will put the whole thread in a single screen where you can search for other terms.  I just searched for " sue " (you have to put the extra space in before to avoid matching with "issuer", which is used much more frequently on this thread).

Thanks I didn't know this trick! I was looking for any easy way to search the entire thread.  Thanks again.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache

The only mentions of suing in this thread that I could find are people suing issuers for closing their accounts without providing a reason.

I'll second this as an awesome trick that I'd never thought of before!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
This might be interesting. I got an email from old company, meant for buyers. It's a list of currently available tradelines.

https://tradelinesmarket.com/June9th2023list

Also a screenshot in case they take the page down.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
It would be nice to double or triple your income (or more) by cutting out the middle man. I thought about selling tradelines directly, even posted some questions about it in this topic. Haven't tried it yet. The main reason is that there is too much sketchy stuff going on in the tradeline space (especially with CPNs which are basically fake/fraudulent SSNs). A reputable company, like the old one, is supposed to verify SSNs and protect us sellers from dealing with sketchy buyers. I am not sure I can do the same as an individual. Another reason is that I would have to look for clients myself, and I hate doing sales.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 03:32:22 PM by Padonak »

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
It would be nice to double or triple your income (or more) by cutting out the middle man. I thought about selling tradelines directly, even posted some questions about it in this topic. Haven't tried it yet. The main reason is that there is too much sketchy stuff going on in the tradeline space (especially with CPNs which are basically fake/fraudulent SSNs). A reputable company, like the old one, is supposed to verify SSNs and protect us sellers from dealing with sketchy buyers. I am not sure I can do the same as an individual. Another reason is that I would have to look for clients myself, and I hate doing sales.

Yeah, I'm fine getting $175 for literally 5 minutes of work. Getting $600 would be nice but would require way more work (and risk).

TheAgileCamel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Did you add the AU's SSN? What email did you use and what about the AU's physical address? I am hearing mixed signals with capital one tradelines recently.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Yeah, I'm fine getting $175 for literally 5 minutes of work. Getting $600 would be nice but would require way more work (and risk).

Whoo,  I looked up my card…$1300 and change….but yeah, ain’t got time to try and deal with what it would take to sell my own tradeline.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
solon, that list is pretty cool.  I have no way to verify for absolute sure, but 2 of the cards match mine.  :D

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

99 is where you max out.  I sell a lot of Amex with another company though like everything else it’s slowed down. I maxed out one card at 99 and the transferred the credit to another one and Ive used about 20 spots there. Not all at once of course.

My card that I hit 99 will reset in a couple of years though. It’s not lifetime like Barclays.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

99 is where you max out.  I sell a lot of Amex with another company though like everything else it’s slowed down. I maxed out one card at 99 and the transferred the credit to another one and Ive used about 20 spots there. Not all at once of course.

My card that I hit 99 will reset in a couple of years though. It’s not lifetime like Barclays.

Oh, I’d didn’t realize that the AU count reset with AE.

FtWorthAtheist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Did you add the AU's SSN? What email did you use and what about the AU's physical address? I am hearing mixed signals with capital one tradelines recently.

I have a gmail address, and gmail will allow you to add unlimited (as far as I know) virtual email addresses that go to your regular inbox by simply adding a plus symbol and then other text after the username.  So if your regular email address is username@gmail.com then you can type username+blah@gmail.com (and I don't know all the limitations on what blah can be replaced with) into any website and it will end up in your regular inbox.  I do this to make sure I get all the card-related emails.  I also find it useful for giving out a variation of my email address to contractors, so when I do taxes on my rental property I can find rental-related receipts easily.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
I was looking online at cards to add and season, and some of them are charging up to 30.99% APR now! Sheesh, no wonder so many people are having trouble paying down their debts.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
I was looking online at cards to add and season, and some of them are charging up to 30.99% APR now! Sheesh, no wonder so many people are having trouble paying down their debts.

What's credit card interest?

But seriously, I have no idea what the rate is on any of my cards because I haven't paid interest on any of them. I think my cheapest (from a credit union, not for tradelines) was 15% or so the last time I checked. Probably higher now.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
^I'm right there with you, on the winning side of compound interest, but I did a "compare cards" and  that's where I saw those interest rates. That's just insane. This is how Citibank can easily afford to pay out nearly 7% on a bond.

ezhang43

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Does anyone know what the right cadence is for Chase e.g. how many users to add for a given card in how many months, without being shut down?

I heard Chase is a bit stringent on this and can shut down quite easily compared to other providers, so hoping to have some guidance and data points on this.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Does anyone know what the right cadence is for Chase e.g. how many users to add for a given card in how many months, without being shut down?

I heard Chase is a bit stringent on this and can shut down quite easily compared to other providers, so hoping to have some guidance and data points on this.

In nearly all cases I defer to what the TL company I use recommends.  Both companies here have cadence recommendations for Chase; if you're working with someone else I'd recommend asking them what they suggest.

Also, to be precise, Chase doesn't shut down CC accounts for TL activity any more frequently than any other issuer.  It's just that when they do, they may also close more of your accounts.  Same frequency, more dramatic outcome.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles

Chase shut me down earlier this year.
7 AUs added in 2018
1 in 2021
2 in 2022

I had also been low key churning accounts for sign up bonuses and think that's what triggered it. I had just been approved for a new business card with a very low limit. I called in to move some of the $70K+ credit limit from my oldest personal card to the new business card and a couple days later was notified that my accounts were closed.

I'll wait a couple years and try again. Hope the reports that it's not permanent are accurate.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache

Mine was shut down.  I only had maybe 4 AUs total over its entire history.  Chase told me that in reviewing the account, they saw AUs added and shortly after removed.  Well, that's what we do with tradelines, so if they decide to review your account, it'll be burned. 

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache

Mine was shut down.  I only had maybe 4 AUs total over its entire history.  Chase told me that in reviewing the account, they saw AUs added and shortly after removed.  Well, that's what we do with tradelines, so if they decide to review your account, it'll be burned.

How long did you keep the AUs?

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache

4 months

ezhang43

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

4 months

Thank you for the data points! Very much appreciated

Can I ask if you had a checking account with direct deposit with them, or did you only have credit cards with them?