Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1149578 times)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3400 on: April 23, 2019, 06:45:54 AM »
The risk with Chase is that if they close anything, they close everything.  All cards, any bank accounts, everything.  I had done well after adding a couple of my Chase cards, but since my oldest card (by like 8 years) is from Chase, I removed them from tradeline sales.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3401 on: April 23, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »
Yup. I made $1,725 from my Chase cards from sales before they shut me down. They shut down all 5 of my cards... :(  Was it worth it? Yeah, I would say so - though I was hoping I could earn a bit more before they caught on to me. On a bright note, they did still credit 2100 Hyatt points to my account even after it was closed. I was not expecting to get them, so that was a small silver lining at least.

Zap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3402 on: April 27, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »
FYI,

I received notification today that Bank of America was closing all my credit card accounts with them due to "Irregular authorized user activity on one or more of your accounts." I only ever sold tradelines on one of the cards, and it's been about a year since my last sale.

Easy come, easy go.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3403 on: April 28, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »
Weird they did that.

I've had a card closed by B of A (and my wife had one as well at the same time), but they only closed that one card--we have other cards with them still (and still sell tradelines on them). We also have other bank accounts and stuff though--maybe that's why they didn't shut all ours down? It would be a pain if those were shut down.

Or maybe their policy changed (it's been a few years since they shut our cards down).

Thanks for the info!
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and are now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about us, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #3404 on: April 29, 2019, 05:02:58 AM »
I only ever sold tradelines on one of the cards, and it's been about a year since my last sale.

I find it weird they did so after such a long break. At least mine had been fairly active.

Zap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3405 on: April 29, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »

I find it weird they did so after such a long break. At least mine had been fairly active.

The old company emailed last year that they had some shutdowns on BoA so they were going to rest it for awhile. I had good sales on it, 18 years old and $20,000 limit.

The worst part is one of the other cards that was closed was used for gasoline and recurring payments and had $20 in unclaimed rewards on it. Gone. Heh. :)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3406 on: April 30, 2019, 11:50:15 AM »
When I was shuffling around credit limits with BoA and talking with the CSR, I got the impression that some cards are BoA owned cards and others were just co-branded (like University of Cash kinda cards) and they could care less what you did with the co-branded ones.  Want to close down University.  Oh, that's cool and I can do that right now, Mr. Car Jack.  But try to touch an actual BoA card and "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you want to close this.  Is there anything I can do to change your mind.....and I mean ANYTHING!?"  Holy cow.....I'm not Robert Kraft.....I'll just leave it open, ok.  "Oh, I'm sooooo happy to hear that.".

:lol:

powskier

• Bristles
Am I the only one who invariably has to send at least 2 reminders every time I'm due payment from the new company?

Really kind of gets old.
I've been paid on time every time with new and old company.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
Even though discover canceled my account months (a year?) ago, they still send me free credit monitoring alerts, so Iíve got that going for me, which is nice

They canceled one of my cards too. Did you even attempt to re-open it? They closed mine without any explanation and I never called to dispute it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Even though discover canceled my account months (a year?) ago, they still send me free credit monitoring alerts, so Iíve got that going for me, which is nice

They canceled one of my cards too. Did you even attempt to re-open it? They closed mine without any explanation and I never called to dispute it.

No they gave a vague explanation which maybe Iíll sue them if I get bored with the retired life.  Some other guy in the thread mentioned some decent settlements

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Barclays is really taking care of me.  After maxing out AU's a few months ago on my first card, I put it in the sock drawer.  They increased my limit.  LOL

ThatGuy

• Stubble
Barclays is really taking care of me.  After maxing out AU's a few months ago on my first card, I put it in the sock drawer.  They increased my limit.  LOL

They increased your credit limit or the limit of AU's?

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
Anyone else have sales stop with the new company?  I've had one $50 sale in the last 8 months.

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
Anyone else have sales stop with the new company?  I've had one $50 sale in the last 8 months.
I had one or two sales last year, none this year.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache

They increased your credit limit or the limit of AU's?

Credit limit.  I wish it were AU limit...

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal

I had one sale in January and one in February.  None since, and have not been paid for either of those sales despite emailing Cliff almost a month ago.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
Yea I'm thinking I should pull my cards and switch to the old company instead.  Are sales more steady with them?

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
Does anyone use Banco Popular cards for tradelines? I have an Avianca card which I can potentially downgrade, not sure if tradeline companies accept these cards.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
Yea I'm thinking I should pull my cards and switch to the old company instead.  Are sales more steady with them?

I've had a regular stream of sales from the old company ever since I enrolled a while back.  And payments are 100% on time and completely transparent. 

dt3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi

I keep seeing tradeline companies being refereed to as new and old company. Curious if someone can lmk who these companies are I'm interested in purchasing tradelines but most of my search efforts have left me uncomfortable.

Thx

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Hi

I keep seeing tradeline companies being refereed to as new and old company. Curious if someone can lmk who these companies are I'm interested in purchasing tradelines but most of my search efforts have left me uncomfortable.

Thx

PM sent, cc'ed @arebelspy.

FtWorthAtheist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have a question about Chase and it's tendency to close all your accounts...
My partner has given me access to his personal account.  I think that means I'm a signer on it, not that I co-own it.  If they shutdown my Chase bank account and credit card, I wouldn't cry, but it would be really problematic for my partner if they closed his personal account because he also has his business account with them.  Its much easier for him if his accounts are in the same place, and moving his business account would be a PITA since he gets electronic payments from many sources who would all have to be updated separately.  I don't need to worry about them closing his personal account because of my activity, do I??

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
The more they share the more likely it is. E.g. if your name is there, the address the same, etc.  I don't like to risk it with Chase.

Can you just remove your name from his account? Do you need that access?

Chase seems to have more rare closures, but worse consequences when they do.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and are now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about us, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
I "think" it would be a real stretch for Chase to close your partner's account.  It would be similar to one of the AUs you've added to your Chase card selling tradelines on their own Chase card, getting blacklisted and then blacklisting you as well since they were an AU on your card.

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I agree it's a stretch,  but the way Chase systematically goes nuclear when they catch on... I wouldn't personally risk it if it's a concern.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
For some reason I tried add an authorized user on my PNC card, and when I enter the social security number it keeps saying, "Enter a valid SSN"

I did add the number correctly.  Contacted the old company and they said to just not do the add, and that PNC will do that sometimes.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
Just realized two of my oldest BoA cards with the new company appear to be closed with no explanation. Also I applied for a third boa card, was approved but upon activation they told me via automated system the card was closed. I called in but the CSR had no clue what was going on and the department that left info in my account isn't open until Monday. No clue what is going on but the CSR did say the department is not the fraud department so who knows. Anyone have any advice?

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
I just received a settlement  from Discover card.

They had shut down my twenty-year-old plus card with the generic ®We can no longer meet your service needs® letter.

I worked with a lawyer I found through MMM. He was fantastic throughout the process.
Feel free to PM me for his contact info.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I just received a settlement  from Discover card.

What/how much was the settlement? How long did it take?

It was with @PointsLawyer , I presume?

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
Settlement was a check.
The terms bar me from sharing the amount, but I was very pleased with the what we received.
Yes, @PointsLawyer  represented me.
We began the process last October, and I signed the agreement last month.
I fully endorse @PointsLawyer
He was excellent throughout the process

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Neat. Thanks for updating/informing us!

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
As a data point for the future. BoA closed 3 cards for me. 2 of them were quite old like 4+ years.  Their letter included discussion of irregular AU activity.

Additionally, they closed a card that they originally approved me for. I applied to the account on say june 1 and was approved, but by june 3rd they had closed it (before the card was even mailed to my address).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Their letter included discussion of irregular AU activity.

My understanding from PointsLawyer is that if this is what they send you, there's no case. If they send you nonsense/generic letter without telling you the reason, then he can pursue a settlement. Likely he will chime in soon.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble

My understanding from PointsLawyer is that if this is what they send you, there's no case. If they send you nonsense/generic letter without telling you the reason, then he can pursue a settlement. Likely he will chime in soon.

Bummer. Frustrating that one of the 3 cards had no AU sales on account of i did not even have a chance to activate the product yet.

Also does anyone have any hypothesis about what this will do to my credit? I am most worried about the card I was approved for and then Boa immmediately closed because i did not even have time to activate it. Will this nuke my average age?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:06:35 AM by hgjjgkj »

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
I didn't know you could sue banks for closing your cards. Does it only work with discover or with other banks too? Citi and bofa closed my cards.

Another question: that was a private settlement, correct? Is there a public record anywhere stating your name, discover as a defendant, the details of the case?

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
I didn't know you could sue banks for closing your cards. Does it only work with discover or with other banks too? Citi and bofa closed my cards.

Another question: that was a private settlement, correct? Is there a public record anywhere stating your name, discover as a defendant, the details of the case?

It's a federal law so it would work with any US issuer.

You can only sue them if they violate the law.  Closing your cards doesn't violate the law.  Roughly speaking, closing your cards (or taking any other adverse action, such as lowering your credit limit) without explaining why violates the law.  @PointsLawyer can probably give a better, more precise, explanation.

PointsLawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Careful. You're going to put me out of business dishing out legal info!

But, yeah, I think a clear, simple explanation like that fulfills the Bank's obligations under the ECOA.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:11:01 PM by PointsLawyer »

PointsLawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

You can only sue them if they violate the law.  Closing your cards doesn't violate the law.  Roughly speaking, closing your cards (or taking any other adverse action, such as lowering your credit limit) without explaining why violates the law.  @PointsLawyer can probably give a better, more precise, explanation.

Nailed it. I have experience bringing claims against most major banks. Happy to give more precise explanations in a more appropriate forum. Here, I'm just trying to share some generalized legal knowledge.

Not legal advice. Informational purposes only. Not trying to solicit clients.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
I'm still waiting for my settlement.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
    • Arcadia Power

Nailed it. I have experience bringing claims against most major banks. Happy to give more precise explanations in a more appropriate forum. Here, I'm just trying to share some generalized legal knowledge.

So if they send you a letter decreasing your limit because you don't use your card as much as they think you should with your limit, that's good enough?

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

So if they send you a letter decreasing your limit because you don't use your card as much as they think you should with your limit, that's good enough?

I'm not @PointsLawyer, but for the purposes of the law that is being referenced, as long as they give you a reason for an adverse action, then they're complying with the law, yes.  Of course, there are lots of other laws regarding credit that they have to comply with.  For example, they can't decrease your limit because of your race or gender.

As a practical matter, they won't decrease your limit if you don't use the card very much.  They will close it if you don't use it for a "long" time, where long is usually at least a year.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
    • Arcadia Power

I'm not @PointsLawyer, but for the purposes of the law that is being referenced, as long as they give you a reason for an adverse action, then they're complying with the law, yes.  Of course, there are lots of other laws regarding credit that they have to comply with.  For example, they can't decrease your limit because of your race or gender.

As a practical matter, they won't decrease your limit if you don't use the card very much.  They will close it if you don't use it for a "long" time, where long is usually at least a year.

There was a recent thread where AmEx decreased limits on a ton of people. Apparently someone called in and had the original limit reinstated though.

teltic

• Bristles
After 1 year of having 3 credit cards listed... I have sold 2 tradelines! :) $250.... Gonna look into how to add these AUs now.

monarda

• Pencil Stache

There was a recent thread where AmEx decreased limits on a ton of people. Apparently someone called in and had the original limit reinstated though.

I just got a letter from my Home Depot Citi card, stating that if I don't use it for a purchase before August, that my credit limit will go down. My credit limit had already gone down for that card (8000-5000- now 2500 unless I use it). I probably missed a similar letter a year ago (they usually go to recycling without being opened).

Riker626

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was looking into getting a Barclays card but noticed on their website that they have many off brand cards like Barnes & Noble and AAdvantage Aviator.  For the purpose of trade lines are these considered Barclay cards?

Thanks in advance

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I was looking into getting a Barclays card but noticed on their website that they have many off brand cards like Barnes & Noble and AAdvantage Aviator.  For the purpose of trade lines are these considered Barclay cards?

Thanks in advance
Yes.

cooking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Okay, I'm going to admit up front that I haven't read all 70 pgs. of the thread.  Just the first 3 or so pgs. to get a basic understanding, and then the most recent 3-4 pgs. to see if there were updates as to how active sales have been lately, etc.

I have a Discover card with a $6k limit that's 2 yrs. old. I'm a little confused b/c I see the most recent pages have a few people claiming to have quite a few sales of the cards paying $25 or $50 per sale.  But the charts don't indicate that the New Recommended Company accets/sells any in that range.  So does that mean that those mustachians who are making those sales were already registered with the Old Recommended Company long ago, and therefore newcomers like me need higher limit cards to register with the Old Company?  And that I couldn't register it with the New Company b/c their minimum is $10k?

nightzephyr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Part of what you missed in the middle pages was a time when the Old Company (iirc) was taking younger cards. That time has passed - when I signed up several months ago, I was sent information indicating their normal requirements are $10K limit and 2+ years old (or at least that's the minimums they had listed on the pay schedule). One of their agents also told me that their enrollment was mostly closed at that time, but they would still take cards that were at least $20K and 6 years old - I managed to get in with one that had a lower limit, but met the age requirement.

I'll leave commenting on the New Company to someone who has actually worked with them.

cooking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks Nightzephyr.

Anyone who knows if the $25 and $50 payments that are mentioned as being frequent sales by a few recent posters are just relics that were registered long ago, or if they are accepted by New Company?

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Thanks Nightzephyr.

Anyone who knows if the $25 and $50 payments that are mentioned as being frequent sales by a few recent posters are just relics that were registered long ago, or if they are accepted by New Company?

I have a document from New Company dated 9/24/18 that has those rates for lower tier cards (low limits, low age).  It does seem that the companies throttle payment rates periodically based on supply and demand, so they may still be accepting cards at that level or they may not.  Maybe @arebelspy knows, or you could just ask New Company directly.  Feel free to PM me or @arebelspy for the contact info if you don't have it.