Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 658680 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3350 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
Even though discover canceled my account months (a year?) ago, they still send me free credit monitoring alerts, so Ive got that going for me, which is nice

FrontRanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3351 on: March 20, 2019, 07:28:32 AM »
Do you guys use the AU cards or just stick them in a drawer? Thinking that Id use them to do the occasional gas or grocery purchase to at least show some usage. Does it even matter?

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3352 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:51 AM »
Do you guys use the AU cards or just stick them in a drawer? Thinking that Id use them to do the occasional gas or grocery purchase to at least show some usage. Does it even matter?

Personally I just stick them in a drawer, and have never had one not post. YMMV.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3353 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »

Personally I just stick them in a drawer, and have never had one not post. YMMV.

+1.  (Well I have had one not post, but I've had lots that have posted, so I assume that one didn't post for some other reason.)

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3354 on: March 20, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »

Never activated them and never used them.  I immediately set them aside to be shredded.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3355 on: March 20, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »
Agree with the others.  I shred them when received.  I don't request them for issuers that offer that.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3356 on: March 21, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »

I heat my house with a wood furnace.  To start it, I take my "paper" bag from the kitchen, where we put anything burnable and sit it on the bottom of the fire box.  I then take another paper bag full of twigs and put it on the papers.  Then a few pieces of fire wood and light the pile.  Any AU cards get thrown into the paper bag. 

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #3357 on: March 21, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
Somewhere in all these tradeline posts was someone claiming their bank sent AU cards with different acct numbers. In that case, you should use the card. The huge majority of banks issue AU cards with the same number so it doesn't matter. Perhaps they were confused and were trying to use a business card for tradelines??? I don't see why a bank would use different numbers, but that stuck out at me since I found it so odd.

morris08

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3358 on: March 22, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
BarclayCard uses different account #'s for your AU's.  It definitely comes in handy.  Let's say you add your son as an AU on your Barclaycard to use while he is attending college out-of-town.  You've got 5 or 6 autopays set up on your Barclaycard.   Now,,, one day your son calls and says he lost his card!!!  All you do is contact Barclaycard and they send him a new card (new card #) and BAMM that's it, you don't need to worry about YOUR card!

What if this same thing happened to you but you were using a Chase card (instead of Barclay).  They close YOUR card and send you both new cards so now you have to got into 5 or 6 autopays and set them up...quite a pain!!!   And yes, this was a real life experience for me!  :-)

Yes, I know you can and should use a separate card for the autopays.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3359 on: March 22, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »
AMEX uses different numbers for AUs.  Not that anyone would use them for tradeline sales, but just as an example....

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3360 on: March 27, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Does anyone have first hand experience with changing products on a Barclays card to reset the AU limit? I just downgraded the arrival plus card to the arrival and it did not seem to do the trick, unless it takes a full billing cycle to reset or some other requirement.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3361 on: April 02, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
I had pretty much forgotten about tradelines, but just got my first add in almost 2 years!

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3362 on: April 03, 2019, 05:58:09 AM »
Got an add for my Citi card. I added the AU online and then called in to add the social. Very painless and quick process. I know folks have had issues with Citi being a PITA before. 

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3363 on: April 03, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
Got an add for my Citi card. I added the AU online and then called in to add the social. Very painless and quick process. I know folks have had issues with Citi being a PITA before.

That's a shock!  A few months ago I added a friend to my Citi card, it was at least 45 minutes of nonsense to the point I'm not sure I'll use any of my Citi cards for tradelines.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3364 on: April 03, 2019, 09:57:45 PM »
I tried to remove an AU from a Citicard over the phone and they closed my card and issued another one with a different number even though I didn't ask them to close it.

Looks like another AU, which wasn't supposed to be removed yet, is no longer linked to the card. I called and they said they would link the remaining AU to the new card and issue a new AU card for them too.

So stupid... Citi is the worst bank to deal with when it comes to adding and removing AUs.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3365 on: April 04, 2019, 04:40:25 AM »

That's a shock!  A few months ago I added a friend to my Citi card, it was at least 45 minutes of nonsense to the point I'm not sure I'll use any of my Citi cards for tradelines.

I was fully expecting the third degree. Perhaps it was because I had already added the AU online or maybe I just got lucky and got a really good rep? I dunno.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3366 on: April 04, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »

I was thinking it may be because you added the AU online first.  I can't remember if I did or not but I'm leaning towards I didn't.  If there's ever a next time I will try that.
I was fully expecting the third degree. Perhaps it was because I had already added the AU online or maybe I just got lucky and got a really good rep? I dunno.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3367 on: April 05, 2019, 06:58:05 AM »
Does this work consistently (adding Citi AUs online and then calling to add the social)? How many AUs did you add the same way? Did they all post? Has anybody else done the same? I always add Citi AUs over the phone but it's a major pain do add and even remove them.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3368 on: April 05, 2019, 11:46:38 AM »
My last post got cut off.  What I said was if there's a next time I'll try adding the AU online and call the ssn in. Thanks masterstache.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3369 on: April 05, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
It didn't get cut off. You just posted above the comment you were responding to.
My last post got cut off.  What I said was if there's a next time I'll try adding the AU online and call the ssn in. Thanks masterstache.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3370 on: April 05, 2019, 12:07:03 PM »
Does this work consistently (adding Citi AUs online and then calling to add the social)? How many AUs did you add the same way? Did they all post? Has anybody else done the same? I always add Citi AUs over the phone but it's a major pain do add and even remove them.

I dunno. I used to add online and then send a SM to add the social to the AU. Only had one not post doing it that way over maybe 8-10 adds. This is the first time doing it this way so we'll see.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3371 on: April 05, 2019, 08:34:55 PM »
It didn't get cut off. You just posted above the comment you were responding to.

AH!  I get easily confused.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3372 on: April 09, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »
2018 was the first year I sold any tradelines so this is my first time to do taxes with tradeline revenue.  I entered the 1099 misc. and entered sales as the source of the income.  Turbotax put it on a schedule C and wants a principal business code.  What have you guys entered for source of income and did you put it on a schedule C?  If it matters I made $400.

Michael in ABQ

• Pencil Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #3373 on: April 10, 2019, 03:29:09 AM »
Just applied for a Barclays card for travel hacking. Posting to follow so a year from now I can start selling tradelines on it. I do have a capital one card that's about 6 months old that I'll try to use first. All my other cards are from credit unions and have been open a decade plus (and get minimal usage).

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3374 on: April 10, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »
Oh well Citi closed my card because of all the authorized user activity on it over the last 2 years.
It was a good run and I probably made around $5000 from that card.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3375 on: April 10, 2019, 09:11:23 PM »
Oh well Citi closed my card because of all the authorized user activity on it over the last 2 years.
Did Citi close just one card which you used for tradelines or all your Citi cards?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3376 on: April 10, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »
Yes only the card used for tradelines. the other 2 citi accounts are unaffected.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3377 on: April 11, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »
I haven't gotten a spot on my card filled in almost 5 months now... has anyone else had this issue?

beekayworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3378 on: April 12, 2019, 08:10:42 AM »
I haven't either. I have 5 cards listed with New Company. None have had an order since November.

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3379 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Yeah, it's not uncommon for cards without any activity to get closed after a period of time. Usually just one small transaction a year is enough to keep them open indefinitely.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3380 on: April 12, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »
FYI @lexde and others, I am staying pretty busy with "old company".  Yall may want to give them a shot.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3381 on: April 12, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
FYI @lexde and others, I am staying pretty busy with "old company".  Yall may want to give them a shot.

+1. Although once most of my cards aged past 2 years, I saw a noticeable decline in sales from "old company" as well.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3382 on: April 12, 2019, 12:29:22 PM »
When people ask for a recommendation, I tell them if they have cards that fit old company's requirements (10k minimum, 5+ years old, Barclays, Capital One, Citibank, Discover, Elan, PNC, US Bank, USAA, Bank of America, Chase), enroll there, if not (if cards are younger/lower limit), enroll with new company.

Still haven't found any other companies worth working with, and occasional sales with cards that are newer are worth it, but yeah, the volume isn't as good (or saturation is higher), unfortunately.

Go between those places where your cards fit, basically.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3383 on: April 12, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »
Citi closed two of my three cards which I have used for more than 2 years. Had a good run on both even though both had limits under $15K; probably made around $4,000. Always considered them throw-away (no rewards, low limit). The other one is still good, just added one AU on it last week. Easy come, easy go!!

therethere

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3384 on: April 12, 2019, 02:30:31 PM »
Could someone give me a referral to the "new" company? I went with the >20k limit one for one card. Now I've got another lower limit card (10k) I want to add.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3385 on: April 12, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
Could someone give me a referral to the "new" company? I went with the >20k limit one for one card. Now I've got another lower limit card (10k) I want to add.

PM'd.

Anyone else needing this, feel free to PM me to not clutter the thread with requests. :)

We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3386 on: April 13, 2019, 04:00:23 AM »
When people ask for a recommendation, I tell them if they have cards that fit old company's requirements (10k minimum, 5+ years old, Barclays, Capital One, Citibank, Discover, Elan, PNC, US Bank, USAA, Bank of America, Chase), enroll there, if not (if cards are younger/lower limit), enroll with new company.

Still haven't found any other companies worth working with, and occasional sales with cards that are newer are worth it, but yeah, the volume isn't as good (or saturation is higher), unfortunately.

Go between those places where your cards fit, basically.

My experience  with the old company was really good with the "younger cards." YMMV of course.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3387 on: April 13, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
My experience  with the old company was really good with the "younger cards." YMMV of course.

Sure, but they haven't accepted those except for a brief period a year ago.  If that changes, I'll post here. :)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3388 on: April 13, 2019, 07:25:11 PM »
For a brief period, the old company was taking newer, lower limit cards for a shorter duration and $25 payout.  I'll make more money with these than any of my other cards.  I believe they aren't accepting any more of these.  I asked them about one of my cards that just aged to the 2 year point with a $24k limit and they told me they're now looking only for older cards (like 7 years) and high limits (like $35k).  I imagine that their customers vary, so what they want for cards vary.  When the new card offer was originally made, I jumped on it immediately.  A bunch of my cards fit that bill thanks to lots of churning in the last year.  At the time, I submitted every single card I had that qualified and they accepted several that weren't on their list.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3389 on: April 14, 2019, 05:41:41 AM »

Sure, but they haven't accepted those except for a brief period a year ago.  If that changes, I'll post here. :)

I was making a lot of sales the first couple months of this year. Most of those cards aged past 2+ years with exception of 1, which won't age past 2 years until June. And that one still fills up.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3390 on: April 14, 2019, 07:56:19 AM »
Sure. They're definitely still useful if enrolled. My point was it's not helpful for anyone right now, as they haven't accepted cards like that for a year. But I'll post if that changes. I'm glad it worked well for you. :)

gwhunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3391 on: April 14, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »
So I am curious on how you all are able to get your credit limits to a point to qualify for the 'old company'.  It seems every card I get the credit line is $9k.  When I call to get the limit raised I typically get a hard inquiry and the limit is only ever raised $100-$200.  (Chase and Discover are my 2 oldest cards, but my BoA and Citi did the same thing)

My credit score is pretty good, normally sitting around 780-800.  Mine and my spouses combined income is a touch higher than 100k.  I have never had a late payment.  The only thing I can think of is my student loan debt that is, between the both of us, around $90,000.  Is it really the case that my student loan debt is preventing me from getting the limits raised or am I missing out on something that is causing the lower limits? 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:22:35 PM by gwhunter »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3392 on: April 14, 2019, 08:03:46 PM »
@gwhunter Have you applied for any 'premium' cards?  ie Visa Signature etc.  They have large CLs as a requirement.  So, if you're approved, you will get a larger limit.  Chase Sapphire cards for example.  Hope this helps.

gwhunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3393 on: April 14, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »
Thank for the advice.  I guess I never knew what a 'premium' card was as I never really needed any type of credit card.  I will look into it.  Thank you again for the heads up. 

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3394 on: April 15, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
Sure. They're definitely still useful if enrolled. My point was it's not helpful for anyone right now, as they haven't accepted cards like that for a year. But I'll post if that changes. I'm glad it worked well for you. :)

Hmm, I didn't realize they stopped taking those cards. The email I got from them seeking enrollment for these younger cards was back in December 2018 (about 4 months ago). I am sure they had a huge influx in that short time period. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3395 on: April 15, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »

Hmm, I didn't realize they stopped taking those cards. The email I got from them seeking enrollment for these younger cards was back in December 2018 (about 4 months ago). I am sure they had a huge influx in that short time period.

Ah, you're right, I'm mixing up timeframes. Last April was when they offered the signup bonus. Last fall was the shorter cards.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3396 on: April 15, 2019, 06:41:51 PM »
So I am curious on how you all are able to get your credit limits to a point to qualify for the 'old company'.  It seems every card I get the credit line is $9k.  When I call to get the limit raised I typically get a hard inquiry and the limit is only ever raised $100-$200.  (Chase and Discover are my 2 oldest cards, but my BoA and Citi did the same thing)

My credit score is pretty good, normally sitting around 780-800.  Mine and my spouses combined income is a touch higher than 100k.  I have never had a late payment.  The only thing I can think of is my student loan debt that is, between the both of us, around $90,000.  Is it really the case that my student loan debt is preventing me from getting the limits raised or am I missing out on something that is causing the lower limits?

Example:  I called BoA because I had 4 cards with them.  What I did was canceled one of the branded cards and asked them to move that credit limit to another card.  Then I asked to move the limit on the remaining 2 cards over to it as well.  So now the one card (oldest one) has the e limit and the other 2 remaining are low.  So the high limit is now $24k.  I don't use it really and won't till it's in a tradeline program, but it's getting near old enough to submit.

I don't know what's limiting you.  Every card has their requirements.

HBFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3397 on: April 18, 2019, 04:13:37 PM »
Just had my first issue with Barclays where the tradeline only reported to one bureau.  Anyone else have this happen?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3398 on: April 19, 2019, 10:53:06 AM »
Things had been very quiet for me for a while, then I had three sales very close together with old company on a real (i.e. non $25) card. Tax time boost perhaps

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3399 on: April 20, 2019, 08:02:19 AM »
Just had my first issue with Barclays where the tradeline only reported to one bureau.  Anyone else have this happen?

I don't know about one bureau....only know that Barclays is so easy to add/remove AUs.  I've never seen a Barclays AU not report and be paid for it.