Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 561517 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3150 on: December 14, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
I know Barclays is a pretty preferred tradeline card.  There's no SS# spot when added online.  What's the best way to add the SS#.  I actually sold one spot yesterday and called it in.  The 2nd spot sold tonight and I'm not crazy about calling in again.
I just never add an SSN with Barclay's. I've always found the rest of the info (name, DOB, and address) is enough, and I've never had one not post.

I know several others do the same thing.

There are people who do add it (and the TL companies recommend you do). Add them like normal online and then calling to add the SSN, like you did, is the correct way.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3151 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
Interesting.  I'll do that going forward.  I sent in a chat message to add the ss.  We'll see how that works.

Encinoman45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3152 on: December 14, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »
Any opinions from the group on this new pricing?  I am thinking I will wait.  I have a few Barclays cards I am aging.  Since BC has an AU limit, I am thinking I will wait and get more per sale.

$25 per Add is not worth it for me. I'm waiting too.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3153 on: December 14, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
The 2nd spot sold tonight and I'm not crazy about calling in again.

I've been operating for years under the assumption that most large companies, which certainly includes Barclay's, have hundreds if not thousands of customer service reps who service hundreds if not thousands of calls a day.  I think the chances of getting the same rep and them remembering you is approximately zero.

Also, I also assume that for regular activities, they don't make a note on your account and/or care what you do as long as what you're doing isn't unusual or weird or illegal and you don't specifically ask them to make a note on your account.  This assumption matches my experience over the past 30 years and ~80 credit cards.

I do think that there is a separate group of people who search their data and try to find ways to minimize losses.  I suspect those people run queries searching for people who barely use their cards and who add multiple AUs with different last names.  That's how I'd catch piggybackers, anyway, and it matches up with my experience with multiple issuers over the past two years.

If you don't want to call in because two phone calls in two days is too much work, well, I can't help you with that.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3154 on: December 14, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »
Any opinions from the group on this new pricing?  I am thinking I will wait.  I have a few Barclays cards I am aging.  Since BC has an AU limit, I am thinking I will wait and get more per sale.

$25 per Add is not worth it for me. I'm waiting too.

I have one card that I could list with Old Company now for $25 per AU, or in a few months with New Company for $50 per AU.  I'm also waiting.  All of my cards are with New Company because they pay somewhat better than Old Company for the lines I have.  I think Old Company pays out more reliably, but that isn't a big deal in my case.

I have been tempted lately to double-list cards.  I won't do it, because I think it's unethical.  The ratio of sales to available slots is pretty low for me, but when I look back I think all of my cards have gotten some sales, and it seems a little random, so I don't think I could pick any particular card to move to Old Company and count on it doing better over there.  Finally, moving cards between companies is hassle and they don't seem to like it much.

wudged

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3155 on: December 15, 2018, 05:25:34 AM »
I had a an order on 6/25 and still haven't seen a payment.  Is it common to go this long and do you always have to nag them to get paid?

Nope. An order on 6/25 likely posted early July, meaning payment should be end of September (two months later).

Contact the TL company, and if you can't get ahold of them, PM me details (your name/email and which TL company) and I can contact them to find out.

It is a very common problem with the "new" company (at least for me, and plenty of others who have posted in this thread.)  After finally receiving the last payment I was due, after about a month of constant nagging, I shut down my account and moved all my cards to the "old" company.  The new company pays promptly when they say they will, without the need to ask.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3156 on: December 15, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
Quick question about Barclaycard. Is there a limit to how many AUs you can keep at the same time? For example, if you have 10 AUs linked to one card and active at the moment, can you add more AUs or do you have to remove some existing AUs to be able to do so?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:37:08 PM by Padonak »

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3157 on: December 15, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »
I had a an order on 6/25 and still haven't seen a payment.  Is it common to go this long and do you always have to nag them to get paid?

Nope. An order on 6/25 likely posted early July, meaning payment should be end of September (two months later).

Contact the TL company, and if you can't get ahold of them, PM me details (your name/email and which TL company) and I can contact them to find out.

It is a very common problem with the "new" company (at least for me, and plenty of others who have posted in this thread.)  After finally receiving the last payment I was due, after about a month of constant nagging, I shut down my account and moved all my cards to the "old" company.  The new company pays promptly when they say they will, without the need to ask.

Despite lower payouts, when I moved a couple cards over to the old company, I saw a huge upswing in AU sales.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3158 on: December 15, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
Quick question about Barclaycard. Is there a limit to how many AUs you can keep at the same time? For example, if you have 10 AUs linked to one card and active at the moment, can you add more AUs or do you have to remove some existing AUs to be able to do so?

Not sure of a limit of AUs at one time but I was capped at 5 on my best BC card.  I had it full at 5 AU's frequently with no issues.  Hope this helps.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3159 on: December 15, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »

Not sure of a limit of AUs at one time but I was capped at 5 on my best BC card.  I had it full at 5 AU's frequently with no issues.  Hope this helps.

BTW i was referring to the limit set by the bank, not any tradeline company. I have >5 AUs right now on my BarclayCard and so far no issues with adding more AUs. Just wondering if anybody else had any issues in this case and what was the maximum number of AUs they could keep at the same time on one card.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3160 on: December 15, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
I just got my first add on a Capital One card. It doesn't look like I can add the AU's address in the online form - do you guys just put in all the other info (name, ssn, birthdate) and hope it posts? Or do I need to call and make sure they put in the address?

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3161 on: December 16, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
I just got my first add on a Capital One card. It doesn't look like I can add the AU's address in the online form - do you guys just put in all the other info (name, ssn, birthdate) and hope it posts? Or do I need to call and make sure they put in the address?

I've never had a Capital One AU not post without an address. I wouldn't worry about calling in the address.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3162 on: December 16, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »

I've never had a Capital One AU not post without an address. I wouldn't worry about calling in the address.

Great, thanks

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3163 on: December 17, 2018, 05:35:53 AM »
I have a problem with my Citicard which I use for tradelines.

The last couple of times i called to add an AU, after entering all the details the rep transferred me to fraud dept. Fraud asked a couple of questions about my address etc and texted to verify my phone number,, nothing unusual or unreasonable. After i finished the calls I logged on to the web site to make sure that the AU was added in the system and double check their name and address. However, within a few hours after each of these calls i received an email saying that "the AU request wasn't completed". In the body of the email, it says that a system issue prevented them from processing a card request for the AU. It's too early to tell if these tradelines posted with the bureaus. To me it looks like the AUs are in the system and will likely post, but for whatever reason the bank doesn't issue actual cards. Perhaps they saw that there was no spend by previous AUs and blocked the system from issuing new AU cards for this account.

Has anybody else had a similar issue? If so, did your tradelines post in this case?

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #3164 on: December 17, 2018, 05:53:33 AM »

BTW i was referring to the limit set by the bank, not any tradeline company. I have >5 AUs right now on my BarclayCard and so far no issues with adding more AUs. Just wondering if anybody else had any issues in this case and what was the maximum number of AUs they could keep at the same time on one card.

I had six AUs on one Barclaycard and the system wouldn't let me add another one - I had to remove a user before adding another.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3165 on: December 17, 2018, 06:09:38 AM »

The last couple of times i called to add an AU, after entering all the details the rep transferred me to fraud dept. Fraud asked a couple of questions about my address etc and texted to verify my phone number,, nothing unusual or unreasonable. After i finished the calls I logged on to the web site to make sure that the AU was added in the system and double check their name and address. However, within a few hours after each of these calls i received an email saying that "the AU request wasn't completed". In the body of the email, it says that a system issue prevented them from processing a card request for the AU. It's too early to tell if these tradelines posted with the bureaus. To me it looks like the AUs are in the system and will likely post, but for whatever reason the bank doesn't issue actual cards. Perhaps they saw that there was no spend by previous AUs and blocked the system from issuing new AU cards for this account.

Has anybody else had a similar issue? If so, did your tradelines post in this case?

I had the same thing with Citi a couple times.  It ended up posting both times despite Citi telling me that adding the AU failed. 

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3166 on: December 17, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
Well, I took to this new low bar offer with the old company, printed my credit karma and started sending in everything that looked like it might stick.  Got one "regular" card registered and several, new $25 cards up and running.  Sold 2 $25 spots (a Barclay card).  To compare, I have NEVER had 2 spots sold with both companies in total for any month and on average have only sold a spot about once every 3 months between the 2 companies.  I'm quite happy to pull in $50 in one month.  To re-iterate, I ONLY list cards that can be burned.  I sort of expect that they will be.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3167 on: December 17, 2018, 12:47:19 PM »
Well, I took to this new low bar offer with the old company, printed my credit karma and started sending in everything that looked like it might stick.  Got one "regular" card registered and several, new $25 cards up and running.  Sold 2 $25 spots (a Barclay card).  To compare, I have NEVER had 2 spots sold with both companies in total for any month and on average have only sold a spot about once every 3 months between the 2 companies.  I'm quite happy to pull in $50 in one month.  To re-iterate, I ONLY list cards that can be burned.  I sort of expect that they will be.

I had a similar experience. Sold a couple $25 spots on a "young" card I never expected would sell. It's not much but better than the card collecting dust in a sock drawer. 

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3168 on: December 17, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »

I had the same thing with Citi a couple times.  It ended up posting both times despite Citi telling me that adding the AU failed.
thank you, this is very helpful.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3169 on: December 17, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
A question about taxes. If you get an order and register it on Dec 18 and get paid in 2019, should you include this payment in 2018 or 2019 taxable income?

chuckster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3170 on: December 17, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
A question about taxes. If you get an order and register it on Dec 18 and get paid in 2019, should you include this payment in 2018 or 2019 taxable income?

You'll get a 1099 form from the tradeline company in Jan/Feb with exactly what you earned in each tax year. It'll probably be a 2019 payment, but, wait to get your form so that your personal tax return data matches what the tradeline company is telling the IRS.

Joshua

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3171 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »

With the "new" company I never had an issue previously, but I had to message them last month about payment that was a couple months past due and they got it paid quickly. However I sent them an email 2 weeks ago about several adds from August that had not been paid out and haven't heard back from them. I just sent another email, but this has me wondering if they are having issues. I may be switching to the old company for several of our cards if this keeps happening. I do this as an easy way to make some extra money, I don't want to be constantly digging through my accounts to make sure I was paid for adds.

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #3172 on: December 19, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »

With the "new" company I never had an issue previously, but I had to message them last month about payment that was a couple months past due and they got it paid quickly. However I sent them an email 2 weeks ago about several adds from August that had not been paid out and haven't heard back from them. I just sent another email, but this has me wondering if they are having issues. I may be switching to the old company for several of our cards if this keeps happening. I do this as an easy way to make some extra money, I don't want to be constantly digging through my accounts to make sure I was paid for adds.

I have (for the most part) given up on the new company as a result of this same issue. The only card I still have with them is one that is too young to enroll with the old company, and once it ages it will go there too. Old company has their payroll down to a science - same boat, I have better things to do than chase someone down to get paid.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3173 on: December 19, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Another vote for "old" company.  I tried new company for a while but moved those cards to old co.  Old co is automated and very responsive on any questions.

jojoguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3174 on: December 19, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
I`m still wanting to do this, but I`m trying to build up some cards first. I really don`t want to use any of my cards that have good money and/or travel rewards. I am thinking of opening some average cards to use for tradelines after getting my 5/24 Chase card max.

My goal when doing this is to turn this into an all yearly expense job. $22,000 a year should do it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:13:12 PM by jojoguy »

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3175 on: December 20, 2018, 07:11:30 AM »
My goal when doing this is to turn this into an all yearly expense job. $22,000 a year should do it.

Ah, so you're trying to be arebelspy, Junior, eh?  The wrenches in this plan are many.  Card cancellations, people not picking your card for their tradeline purchase, etc.  I get what you're trying to do, but the cards need to age a certain number of years (varies by company) for them to even be accepted.  Also, cards do tend to become "resting" for a number of reasons.  From memory, I've got a cap one, a discover and BoA resting at one company or another for various reasons. 

Also, just like with manufactured spending, you have to be ready for the whole gig to come crashing down.  A new law or rule or method to govern AUs could come along and kill this whole thing.  Think of when Redbird got killed for MS.  You just find other ways to game the system.

I try to squeeze benefits from my cards.  When I don't get a tradeline sold, I've been doing low card balance forgiveness with about 8 cards.  Some of them are now on the new "young" card system with the old company.  A $25 for 2 month sale beats $1 in gas a month in forgiveness. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:14:06 AM by Car Jack »

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3176 on: December 20, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »

Yeah, wow good luck with this. With several cards in the system I am happy with a couple grand every year. 

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3177 on: December 20, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
ARS noted that his own sales have not maintained that level some pages ago. I think he benefited quite a bit from being the early mustachian to the game.

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #3178 on: December 20, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
I'll be at $5500 for 2018, up from $2225 in 2017. I've got 11 cards total enrolled between various companies. I started working with another company this year that seems to have more traffic/less inventory, so that's made a difference. I'm hoping to hit the low five figures in 2019, but even that may be optimistic. Regardless, it's free money and I'm more than happy with whatever I get!

jojoguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3179 on: December 20, 2018, 05:14:14 PM »
I guess I`m just aiming too high. :P

I haven`t even started yet. I do however want to figure out some side gigs to make my goals happen.

Congratulations Ducky19 for your success in this!

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3180 on: December 20, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »

I haven`t even started yet. I do however want to figure out some side gigs to make my goals happen.

Turn a hobby or a passion into some side income. That's what many people, including myself, have done.

jojoguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3181 on: December 21, 2018, 03:58:00 AM »

Turn a hobby or a passion into some side income. That's what many people, including myself, have done.

Ha! That`s what motivates me to do this. It seems like it is a fun side income. Just like credit card churning. I will leave the Chase cards alone though. The reward points(especially the travel ones) have been great!

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3182 on: December 26, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »
For Barclaycard, those who hit the limit of maximum tradelines and couldn't add any more AUs, what message did you receive?

I just received this message when I tried to add two users. Tried again and got the same message. Never received it before. Does it mean I hit my limit?

That wasn’t supposed to happen!
We apologize for the inconvenience, but we could not complete your request. Please try again.

hay_otsuka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3183 on: December 26, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
For Barclaycard, those who hit the limit of maximum tradelines and couldn't add any more AUs, what message did you receive?

I just received this message when I tried to add two users. Tried again and got the same message. Never received it before. Does it mean I hit my limit?

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we could not complete your request. Please try again.
Ime that meant you hit limit

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3184 on: December 26, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »

That's what it looks like to me as well. Is it worth trying to call them and reset the limit? Anything else that can be done in this case?

hay_otsuka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3185 on: December 26, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »

That's what it looks like to me as well. Is it worth trying to call them and reset the limit? Anything else that can be done in this case?
If you can product change it seems to reset limit but I have only been able to do that on one of our cards( arrival plus downgraded to arrival)

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3186 on: December 26, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »

If you can product change it seems to reset limit but I have only been able to do that on one of our cards( arrival plus downgraded to arrival)

What about moving the credit limit to another Barclaycard? If the other card is >2y old I can just start using that one instead of the old one.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3187 on: December 26, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »
Another question: what is the AU limit for Barclaycard? I have counted 35 AUs total that I added for that card that doesn't seem to work anymore. 

FrontRanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3188 on: December 26, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »
Has anyone been contacted from a former employee at the old company who now works at Octaskills? Seems like a new tradelines co just getting up and running. Offer higher and faster payout, but a bit skeptical. Anyone else gotten a call too?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3189 on: December 26, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
Another question: what is the AU limit for Barclaycard? I have counted 35 AUs total that I added for that card that doesn't seem to work anymore.

As best I can tell, it is between 35-38 AU slots.  Before I got into TL sales, I had a couple of family members as AU's, which skews my count a bit.

P.S. You should be able to move part of the credit limit to another card.  BC has great customer service..

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3190 on: December 27, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
How are you guys doing add's for Elan cards?  Old TL company recommends calling in which I have been doing.  I don't mind calling in but lately I have been getting some difficult names.  I find it a bit hard to get through the calls if the names are too long/difficult.  I am wondering if I should try the online form....

Any suggestions?

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3191 on: December 28, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »
Think like a regular person.  You want to add your friend, Raj Banjo.  You say his name like that and then tell the person, "his name is really long, let me spell it out...R A J A M E N A D I N G D O N G is the first name and B A N G I N G O B A L A B I N G B O N G A L A M A is his last name.  See why I just call him Raj Banjo?  The CSR won't care.  They're just typing in what you say.  You will want a story ready as to how they're related to you.  Remember the story before you call.  The CSRs sometimes get confused.  I had one call me the AU's first name during the call and I corrected them saying "No, Ting is my friend, I'm Jack".  Getting the CSR a little embarrassed isn't a bad thing....I expect they then want to be a bit nicer to me since they screwed up my name with the AU.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3192 on: December 29, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »
I've never been asked my relationship with the AU and I don't plan on telling them anything beyond it's a business associate.  As for pronunciation, they probably have no idea how it's supposed to be pronounced and probably don't care, they always ask me to spell it anyway.

medinaj2160

• Stubble
« Reply #3193 on: December 31, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
I know Barclays is a pretty preferred tradeline card.  There's no SS# spot when added online.  What's the best way to add the SS#.  I actually sold one spot yesterday and called it in.  The 2nd spot sold tonight and I'm not crazy about calling in again.
I just never add an SSN with Barclay's. I've always found the rest of the info (name, DOB, and address) is enough, and I've never had one not post.

I know several others do the same thing.

There are people who do add it (and the TL companies recommend you do). Add them like normal online and then calling to add the SSN, like you did, is the correct way.

It seems that the new company wants you to add the SSN but the old company doesn't per their instructions. So I just add the SSN only for the new company.

Last month I sold about $700 spots it feels good. I wish my wife would participate with me but she thinks what we do is shady.... Oh well.

wienerdog

• Bristles
« Reply #3194 on: January 04, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »

They said it did not report so that is why I never got paid.  I guess they post login credentials on the portal and you are supposed to login to see the proof.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3195 on: January 05, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
For the last two AUs i tried to add to my Discover card, after I entered the information online and submitted, the AU status online went "Pending" and I was asked for proof of address and SSN for AUs. At the same time, I received emails saying that AUs were added. Did anybody get similar messages from Discover? What does it mean? If I don't provide proof of address and SSN, will the AUs not get reported to bureaus or will they still get reported and perhaps I just won't receive the cards?

It seems like Discover changes their settings in the system for me because I had added a few AUs before. Perhaps from now on they will require this information for every AU i try to add.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3196 on: January 06, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »
Anyone been paid for their late October adds yet?

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3197 on: January 06, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »

Or early October? ;-)

chuckster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3198 on: January 06, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »

Or early October? ;-)

I did an add on 10/2 for a card that would have reported on 10/8, and did get paid in late December (about a month before I thought I would)
I did an add on 10/24 for a card that would have reported on 11/5, and I haven't seen that payment yet (nor am I expecting it)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:53:19 PM by chuckster »

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3199 on: January 08, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »
Anyone ever add an AU to BBVA Compass?  I'm all over the site and find nothing.  Not even a search function.  I'll call if I have to, but of course would rather not.

***edit: Answering my own question, since I had to add the tradeline, I called in.  There is no online way to add, so I did it with the CSR.  No issues.  Easy enough.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:17:46 AM by Car Jack »