Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 533141 times)

topshot

• Stubble
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3000 on: September 28, 2018, 05:24:55 AM »
Two updates from my world.

1. Wrapped up first batch of piggybacking-closure cases favorably!

Sounds like you may have some more business from Discover customers, @PointsLawyer  ;)

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #3001 on: September 28, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »
I continue to suspect that companies do periodic audits where they query their databases for what they consider to be risky behavior.  They then either human review or (less likely) do mass closings.

If this is accurate, then there could be a long while between when one does what they consider risky and the account closure.  It also means that "normal usage" may not inoculate one against account closure.

I continue to think that the total number of AU's added to a line, perhaps limited to those that don't reside at the same address or share the same last name, would be the search criteria that they use.

I also don't think they expend much energy or effort on this kind of thing overall, since the direct cost to them is pretty low.  Their main business risk would be loss due to fraud or punitive damages by not complying with federal restrictions on foreign nationals subject to sanction or something like that.

@Shade00, there also is the possibility that the reason for closure may not be related to AUs.  It's possible that some other behavior is what triggered the closure.  I don't know about you, but I typically do multiple things on each credit line that the CC companies don't like.

I'm not sure what that behavior could have been, but I guess there's no way to know. I had 4 adds last year, if I'm remembering correctly, and kept my utilization at no more than 5% until I used the card to buy some furniture at the beginning of the year. We paid that purchase off within a couple of months. I really have no clue. It's disappointing because I had that account since 2009 and had 23k in credit available. :(

SuperChamp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Ephesians 9:11
« Reply #3002 on: September 28, 2018, 03:43:22 PM »
Thanks for the great post.  I am probably on the other side, looking to purchase the trade-lines as most from what I have read are selling them.

Question, as I dont know too much about how this works, except for the fact that the history of the credit gets piggy backed onto the new authorized user and this is what helps increase the score.

My question is that after a month or two of adding and removing the said user, does the credit stop reporting?

I emailed the OP regarding the recommended companies, and have yet to get a response.

thanks guys.

Padonak

• Bristles
« Reply #3003 on: September 28, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the great post.  I am probably on the other side, looking to purchase the trade-lines as most from what I have read are selling them.

Question, as I dont know too much about how this works, except for the fact that the history of the credit gets piggy backed onto the new authorized user and this is what helps increase the score.

My question is that after a month or two of adding and removing the said user, does the credit stop reporting?

I emailed the OP regarding the recommended companies, and have yet to get a response.

thanks guys.

I haven't seen a credit report of a person who was added and then removed as an Authorized User. My understanding is that you get a new record (tradeline) in your credit report which boosts your credit score because you "piggyback" on the main cardholder's age of the tradeline and credit line, meaning they are accounted for when your score is calculated. I believe that tradeline is reported as "closed" when you are removed as an AU, but it still remains in your report and increases you credit score.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3004 on: September 29, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »

When you are removed, the line may be removed from your report, yes. At that point, it wouldn't boost your score anymore. It's a temporary boost designed to help you get credit to improve it long term.

Sometimes it sticks on your credit report for a long time after you are removed, but I don't think there's any guarantees around that. Probably best to speak with the TL companies as a potential AU to find out details (and if any particular providers are more likely than others to stick on, or whatever).
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3005 on: October 01, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »
A family member added me as an authorized user to one of their cards so that I could make some purchases on their behalf. They also thought this would help me out with credit.

Well, turns out their credit utilization for that card was way above my average so my score was dropping despite the addition of a relatively high limit, moderate age account. So I had them remove me. That card is still listed on my credit report, though my score increased, so I don't think it's factoring in anymore.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3006 on: October 01, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
Yeah, that's why the TL companies emphasize utilization must be under 10% of the card's limit. Don't want high utilization hurting the AU's score.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #3007 on: October 06, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »
Removing an AU this morning from BoA, the rep asked WHY I was removing them. She said they just needed to make sure he wasn't trying to get a loan or they'd need to send him a letter. I wanted to ask why that mattered but am not risking any more flags than absolutely necessary since I only have 2 nice cards in the game.

monarda

• Bristles
« Reply #3008 on: October 06, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
Data point-  an AMEX AU was added for a family member in early August and hasn't posted yet. Not sure how long it'll take, or if it'll post at all.
Date of add as authorized user doesn't matter. Date of first statement with a balance due should determine when the line gets reported to credit agencies.

The card is used for small purchases all the time. It's a business account, so that might make a difference, I suppose.

MoseyingAlong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3009 on: October 07, 2018, 12:30:35 AM »
Data point-  an AMEX AU was added for a family member in early August and hasn't posted yet. Not sure how long it'll take, or if it'll post at all.
Date of add as authorized user doesn't matter. Date of first statement with a balance due should determine when the line gets reported to credit agencies.

The card is used for small purchases all the time. It's a business account, so that might make a difference, I suppose.

What I've read is that business cards do not show up on personal credit reports which is why the TL companies are not interested in them and also why they are good if you're churning for sign-ups bonuses while waiting to get under Chase's 5/24 limit.

monarda

• Bristles
« Reply #3010 on: October 07, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
Thanks, @MoseyingAlong

I guess since I saw that a CapOne Spark business account posts, we thought we'd try the AMEX, but maybe not all business accounts are created equal.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3011 on: October 18, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
I've been getting my citi spots filled regularly - but with this last round of AUs I've had to get cleared by the fraud department. They just ask me to give them a text message and "verify" me.

Should I be concerned about these extra steps? Maybe let my 2 AU spots cool off? Or not worry about it?

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3012 on: October 18, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
I've been getting my citi spots filled regularly - but with this last round of AUs I've had to get cleared by the fraud department. They just ask me to give them a text message and "verify" me.

Should I be concerned about these extra steps? Maybe let my 2 AU spots cool off? Or not worry about it?

That is SOP for one of the CC issuers; don't recall if it's Citi or not.  I'd suggest taking a look at the add instructions that they send you in the email or on the portal (assuming New Company) because for the issuer I'm thinking of they mention it.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't worry about it if it were me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:48:55 PM by secondcor521 »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3013 on: October 21, 2018, 12:29:05 AM »
Heads up data point regarding Fidelity/Elan:
I have been selling Tradelines with a Fidelity (Elan) CC pretty successfully for several months. The adds have to be done by phone. My latest add was going straightforward, then part way through the call the CSR said "Oh, I have to transfer you to a different department". I was transferred to someone who did the usual security verification (but much less friendly than normal CSR) who then proceeded to ask very pointed questions about my pattern of AU adding and removal. I must have satisfied him, because he went ahead to add the AU. Next time I went to make a purchase on this card, it was declined, I also noticed I couldn't log into my account online anymore. When I called in to check, I was told my account was under review, and someone would contact me. Nobody ever contacted me, but I can log back into my account now. I have temporarily frozen the card for AU sales, I imagine some time in the future I am going to get this card shut down.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Can confirm: Card Closed
Nice little letter for my collection

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3014 on: October 21, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »
I have been selling Tradelines with a Fidelity (Elan) CC pretty successfully for several months. The adds have to be done by phone. My latest add was going straightforward, then part way through the call the CSR said "Oh, I have to transfer you to a different department". I was transferred to someone who did the usual security verification (but much less friendly than normal CSR) who then proceeded to ask very pointed questions about my pattern of AU adding and removal. I must have satisfied him, because he went ahead to add the AU. Next time I went to make a purchase on this card, it was declined, I also noticed I couldn't log into my account online anymore. When I called in to check, I was told my account was under review, and someone would contact me. Nobody ever contacted me, but I can log back into my account now. I have temporarily frozen the card for AU sales, I imagine some time in the future I am going to get this card shut down.

About how many AU spots had you sold on that card?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3015 on: October 22, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
Question for the Hive...

I just received my first AU with citizenship not of the US.  Have you had this?  Is it a concern?

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #3016 on: October 22, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »

the last one on my citi i tried they wanted to transfer me, and i got "scared" so didn't - is that all they had you do? i had them stop selling mine for a bit because it concerned me.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3017 on: October 22, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »

the last one on my citi i tried they wanted to transfer me, and i got "scared" so didn't - is that all they had you do? i had them stop selling mine for a bit because it concerned me.
That’s all they did for mine. I couldn’t tell you if it was the same for your situation, though.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3018 on: October 22, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
Question for the Hive...

I just received my first AU with citizenship not of the US.  Have you had this?  Is it a concern?
Is the mailing/primary address not in the US? Personally I wouldn’t risk that.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3019 on: October 22, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
Question for the Hive...

Is the mailing/primary address not in the US? Personally I wouldn’t risk that.

US address

There is a number in SSN field as well but I assume it is not actually a SSN.  Everything is probably good and legal but I don't know if another country is a red flag for issuer.

Thanks for the reply.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3020 on: October 22, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »
Non-US citizens can still have valid SSN if they are authorized to work in the US, or in some rare cases where they need one for a validated non-work reason.

I would bet that the number is their real SSN, and they're a resident alien.

dustinst22

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3021 on: October 23, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »
Does anyone actually activate the AU card?  I haven't so far, but sometimes wonder if this looks suspicious to the CC company.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3022 on: October 23, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
Does anyone actually activate the AU card?  I haven't so far, but sometimes wonder if this looks suspicious to the CC company.

I always do.  But I do not use it to make a purchase (as New Company recommends).

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3023 on: October 23, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »

I used to and then make one small purchase on it at the gas pump.  I don't anymore as I have enough cards either in the tradeline system or about to age up to be in that I don't care if they cancel any card I'm using for TL's.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3024 on: October 23, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
Non-US citizens can still have valid SSN if they are authorized to work in the US, or in some rare cases where they need one for a validated non-work reason.

I would bet that the number is their real SSN, and they're a resident alien.

Thanks @merula 

That is my assumption as well.  I decided not to risk it since this issuer is known to shut you down after so many AU's already.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #3025 on: October 24, 2018, 08:22:10 PM »

I always do.  But I do not use it to make a purchase (as New Company recommends).
Guess I missed that recommendation. I never have activated one, but I wouldn't purchase with one unless it was online since it's obvious the AU doesn't live in your area (99.9% of the time at least).

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3026 on: October 26, 2018, 07:04:35 AM »
I just added an AU with the old company on my Cap One.  Funny, the online form has the ss# but no place for address.  Wellalrightythen.  I think it also had only options on where to send the card.....not to have or not have the card sent.  For the $200 fee I'm getting for this tradeline, it's worth it to me to just go ahead and activate the card and use it for a couple bucks of gas.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #3027 on: October 27, 2018, 04:22:31 AM »
So, I have a question for the group as I'm unsure of what to do here.  I have a removal task in the portal from a couple days ago but didn't receive a text message. Should I go ahead and remove the AU?

I'm assuming yes, but thought I'd ask anyway.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3028 on: October 27, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »
So, I have a question for the group as I'm unsure of what to do here.  I have a removal task in the portal from a couple days ago but didn't receive a text message. Should I go ahead and remove the AU?

I would remove the AU *if* the "Remove On" date has passed.  If the "Remove On" date is in the future, I would wait until that date and remove them after that date.

I have two remove tasks in the portal, but the date is something like 1/17/19, so I'm waiting on those for now.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3029 on: October 27, 2018, 11:57:36 PM »

About 10

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3030 on: October 28, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »

I would remove the AU *if* the "Remove On" date has passed.  If the "Remove On" date is in the future, I would wait until that date and remove them after that date.

I have two remove tasks in the portal, but the date is something like 1/17/19, so I'm waiting on those for now.
I had the same situation - I removed the AU and got an Email from the Co. a few days later that I did it prematurely and therefore would not get paid for the AU add.   I Emailed them back that their portal is confusing and they should look into improving it.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3031 on: October 28, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »

About 10

Thanks for the reply, @CanuckExpat

Hopefully, I can get a few more before mine is shut down.

By the way, for anyone interested, I have been removing AUs from Elan via secure message.  It takes about 24 hours but works well.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3032 on: October 31, 2018, 06:16:32 AM »
Anyone have any issues with Citi regarding reading secure messages? For instance if I request to remove an authorized user I can read their response to confirm he/she was removed. However if I send a SM wanting to include the SS with a recent AU add I did online, I cannot read their response. It errors out and boots me off Citi's website. Could be something with my browser settings perhaps?

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #3033 on: October 31, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »
Anyone have any issues with Citi regarding reading secure messages? For instance if I request to remove an authorized user I can read their response to confirm he/she was removed. However if I send a SM wanting to include the SS with a recent AU add I did online, I cannot read their response. It errors out and boots me off Citi's website. Could be something with my browser settings perhaps?

This exact thing happens to me also.  I'm wondering if it has to do with the SS# being protected information or something. 

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #3034 on: October 31, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »
I think it's just their website - try it in an incognito window.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3035 on: October 31, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »
I think it's just their website - try it in an incognito window.

Tried that, still didn't work. Also cleared browsing history, cookies, etc and still throws an error. Even tried a different browser. My last AU didn't post even though I went through the same exact process of adding AU on their website and then sending a secure message to include the SS# with the AU. Trying to avoid calling in at all cost as it seems that is not even fool proof.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3036 on: October 31, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
It is probably a filter for PII.  I noticed that Chase filters out location details on secure messages.  Citi is probably doing something similar for anything it deems protected.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3037 on: November 01, 2018, 05:49:38 AM »
It is probably a filter for PII.  I noticed that Chase filters out location details on secure messages.  Citi is probably doing something similar for anything it deems protected.

I figured that was the case but wondered if there was a way around that so I could see their response to my messages. At this point I am kind of guessing they are successfully attaching the SS# to the AU. 

Pizzabrewer

• Bristles
« Reply #3038 on: November 01, 2018, 08:09:27 AM »
So I read this article and then thought about selling my tradelines.

Figured out aI could probably make at least $500 per month according to a quote I received from splendindcredit.com. 

On the other hand I could buy tradelines and there are wildly varying prices out there but one quote I saw was for $1000 for a 25k line. 

I am personally unfortunately in a situation where I have a lot of debt due to some poor decisions made starting a business with the wrong partners so I'm in the market for refinancing unsercured debt at a lower rate. 

My wife and I make an excellent income we both work for Tesla for 4 and 5 years respectively. 

Currently we pull in $212k per year together. 

We both have a long history of 100% on time payment with the exception of one delinquent account on my wife's credit from a credit union checking  account that went negative because of a silly fee. 

At the moment we pay around $1600 on credit card interest per month at about 16.69% interest apr. 

That said we do have about $32k in available credit on our cards, having just paid off over $26k in cash over the last 30 days. 

I could use some help in the utilization department mainly everything else on my personal individual credit is 100% clean (my wife's sily delinquency on the checking account notwithstanding which I think is technically classified as a "late payment" since we paid the bill as soon as we realized the erorr).

Anybody interested in disintermediating the tradeline brokers? 

I can add you to accounts in kind or pay good money to be added as an authorized for aged accounts with large lines and 100% on time payment history. 

I could really use the help me get refinancing on this credit card debt into personal loans by lowering my utilization ratio thus boosting my score so I can qualify.

I have 15 month old son please consider if you are able to help I'm happy to compensate you in any way I can within reason we can find a win-win Situation.

Wait.  What?  You're offering to buy and sell tradelines directly right here on this forum?  On your first post??  And you're naming a non-approved tradeline vendor???

Sheesh.

This won't be up long.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:11:21 AM by Pizzabrewer »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3039 on: November 01, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
So I read this article and then thought about selling my tradelines.

Figured out aI could probably make at least $500 per month according to a quote I received from splendindcredit.com. 

On the other hand I could buy tradelines and there are wildly varying prices out there but one quote I saw was for $1000 for a 25k line. 

I am personally unfortunately in a situation where I have a lot of debt due to some poor decisions made starting a business with the wrong partners so I'm in the market for refinancing unsercured debt at a lower rate. 

My wife and I make an excellent income we both work for Tesla for 4 and 5 years respectively. 

Currently we pull in $212k per year together. 

We both have a long history of 100% on time payment with the exception of one delinquent account on my wife's credit from a credit union checking  account that went negative because of a silly fee. 

At the moment we pay around $1600 on credit card interest per month at about 16.69% interest apr. 

That said we do have about $32k in available credit on our cards, having just paid off over $26k in cash over the last 30 days. 

I could use some help in the utilization department mainly everything else on my personal individual credit is 100% clean (my wife's sily delinquency on the checking account notwithstanding which I think is technically classified as a "late payment" since we paid the bill as soon as we realized the erorr).

Anybody interested in disintermediating the tradeline brokers? 

I can add you to accounts in kind or pay good money to be added as an authorized for aged accounts with large lines and 100% on time payment history. 

I could really use the help me get refinancing on this credit card debt into personal loans by lowering my utilization ratio thus boosting my score so I can qualify.

I have 15 month old son please consider if you are able to help I'm happy to compensate you in any way I can within reason we can find a win-win Situation.

Wait.  What?  You're offering to buy and sell tradelines directly right here on this forum?  On your first post??  And you're naming a non-approved tradeline vendor???

Sheesh.

This won't be up long.

I don't think there are too many people on this forum who would be buying....
Especially not from someone who describes delinquent credit actions...

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #3040 on: November 01, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »

I figured that was the case but wondered if there was a way around that so I could see their response to my messages. At this point I am kind of guessing they are successfully attaching the SS# to the AU.

I've done the chat thing with them and asked them to verify that the AU has a SS# attached to their account.  Yes or no question.  Seemed to work, but at this point I'm not sure it's actually easier than calling.  Even though calling Citi sucks.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3041 on: November 01, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »

I've done the chat thing with them and asked them to verify that the AU has a SS# attached to their account.  Yes or no question.  Seemed to work, but at this point I'm not sure it's actually easier than calling.  Even though calling Citi sucks.

I only had an issue with 1 AU not posting so far, so it's been a mostly positive experience just sending in a secure message with the SS#. I already cringe when I have to call USAA. Almost always at the very least a 20 min phone call. I did send a seperate secure message to just verify the SS numbers were added. So we'll see. 

SilverAg47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3042 on: November 01, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
I have a new person listed in my Customer Documents with a last name that is 25 letters long.   I'm hoping when the order comes through that I'll be able to add this user without calling in!

dustinst22

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3043 on: November 02, 2018, 12:15:28 AM »
added my first AU to Discover a couple weeks ago (Have only been using my Barclays card up til now).

Discover left me a VM to call them immediately this afternoon, and I noticed when I tried to log in I get this message:

Please Contact Customer Service
Due to special conditions related to your credit card account, we cannot provide you with access to your account information at this time.

Please contact Customer Service so we can help you resolve this issue.

Has anyone experienced this?  I was unable to call them back today, so will find out tomorrow.  Questions typically asked?  What do you answer if asked how you know the AU?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:18:17 AM by dustinst22 »

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3044 on: November 02, 2018, 07:13:01 AM »
I have a new person listed in my Customer Documents with a last name that is 25 letters long.   I'm hoping when the order comes through that I'll be able to add this user without calling in!

Say that the person's name is Rajaministadanapolisrasputinbingemania.  On the phone, call him Raj.

bernardnb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3045 on: November 02, 2018, 08:41:01 AM »
added my first AU to Discover a couple weeks ago (Have only been using my Barclays card up til now).

Discover left me a VM to call them immediately this afternoon, and I noticed when I tried to log in I get this message:

Please Contact Customer Service
Due to special conditions related to your credit card account, we cannot provide you with access to your account information at this time.

Please contact Customer Service so we can help you resolve this issue.

Has anyone experienced this?  I was unable to call them back today, so will find out tomorrow.  Questions typically asked?  What do you answer if asked how you know the AU?

Since it's the first time, it's probably them just waiting for you to confirm that it's legit.  I seem to recall that happening when I started using my Discover.

dustinst22

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3046 on: November 02, 2018, 09:39:08 AM »

Since it's the first time, it's probably them just waiting for you to confirm that it's legit.  I seem to recall that happening when I started using my Discover.

Yep, that's all it was, hopefully not going to be an issue in the future

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3047 on: November 02, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
Has anyone ever received a settlement that PointsLawyer got for you with respect to a Discover card closure ?

spot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3048 on: November 12, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »
Just wanted to alert everyone that I did a tradeline on Discover with the old company. Got a couple of sales and my card was shut down. Now months later I'm getting calls and emails saying someone is trying to access my (closed) account. Really do not want to deal with this and the money wasn't worth it for me.

SilverAg47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3049 on: November 12, 2018, 07:27:23 PM »
If I added a Discover user on 8/11/18, shouldn't I have been told to remove them by now?  Or does Discover just need to stay on longer?