Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 219162 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #1750 on: October 19, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
A really good software that could connect tradelines with buyers of those tradelines would be the primary way to simplify this.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1751 on: October 19, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »
I think the flaw is that it just doesn't take many people to run a company like this. (I know because I'm working on building a company of my own.) The amount of work is so little that there wouldn't be enough for everyone to do. As I think about the company, I think lead generation is the biggest problem we would face, and that's where mustachians come in. How about a referral bonus for an army of mustachians?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1752 on: October 19, 2017, 06:01:33 PM »
I think the flaw is that it just doesn't take many people to run a company like this. (I know because I'm working on building a company of my own.)

A tradeline company?

I think the hardest part of the startup would be spending a week writing a business plan that identifies pricing, target markets, supply chain, tax structure, growth plans, and stuff like that.  I agree that the operational work is limited. Required startup funds are almost negligible.

I would prefer to structure it as an employed owned company, and distribute any residual profits beyond operating costs to the people who do the work of finding and vetting and tracking all of the sales.  Operating costs will require at least a few thousands dollars per year in payroll services and tax prep. 

Limit the initial enrollment to something small like the 25 best cards we can scrape up, say 15 years old and $30k limits.  Take new cards in batches of 10 if we can grow demand by finding buyers.

Do we need startup funds?  Ask the forum who would be willing to pitch in $5k for the promise of $5.5k back in 12 months if the company can turn a profit, or lose it all if we can't.  Motivate everyone involved to help us succeed.

Want more sales on your cards?  Introduce us to a realtor or mortgage broker you know personally who can use the company's services to help their clients.   Help grow the business, and everyone wins.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1753 on: October 19, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »

So the real question on my mind then, is why aren't we doing this ourselves yet?  Why isn't there a mustachians-only tradeline company?  We could drastically reduce prices by not paying the third party profit margins, provide a valued service to buyers, provide some part time work to semi-retired members looking to pick up some extra cash, and all get some sales on our cards currently sitting unsold month after month.

Rebs has already incorporated, but lots of us have existing business licenses we could operate under.  How about we stop fucking around with all of these other companies and get our collective acts together, and do this ourselves?  We start advertising for buyers, we pull our cards from companies that aren't selling them, and we do business with transparently open accounting.  Charge less than the competition, do the verifications the right way, and start keeping the profits for ourselves instead of making all of these owners rich.

What's the flaw in this plan? 

The plan needs someone to execute it (well, be the primary).  I am not that person.

I can kick in some time to help, but I'm working full time, have a kid, etc. I've also never really run a business.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1754 on: October 19, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »
I think the flaw is that it just doesn't take many people to run a company like this. (I know because I'm working on building a company of my own.)

A tradeline company?

I think the hardest part of the startup would be spending a week writing a business plan that identifies pricing, target markets, supply chain, tax structure, growth plans, and stuff like that.  I agree that the operational work is limited. Required startup funds are almost negligible.

I would prefer to structure it as an employed owned company, and distribute any residual profits beyond operating costs to the people who do the work of finding and vetting and tracking all of the sales.  Operating costs will require at least a few thousands dollars per year in payroll services and tax prep. 

Limit the initial enrollment to something small like the 25 best cards we can scrape up, say 15 years old and $30k limits.  Take new cards in batches of 10 if we can grow demand by finding buyers.

Do we need startup funds?  Ask the forum who would be willing to pitch in $5k for the promise of $5.5k back in 12 months if the company can turn a profit, or lose it all if we can't.  Motivate everyone involved to help us succeed.

Want more sales on your cards?  Introduce us to a realtor or mortgage broker you know personally who can use the company's services to help their clients.   Help grow the business, and everyone wins.

I think we're on the same page here. I agree there is a fair bit of work to do to start up the company. (Although, you admitted you could write the business plan yourself in one week; and rebs stood up an entire company in a month.)

But the biggest long term risk to the survival of the company is finding new AUs to sell to. Without customers, there is no company. But you have provided some great ideas.

BTW, how do you think and write so clearly? I wish I was half as good at wordsmithing.

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #1755 on: October 19, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »
Question to all:  How long did it take for you to get the physical card for the AU mailed to you?  Added an AU over two weeks ago but still haven't received the card.  Should this be reason for alarm?  Thanks!
The best thing money can buy is financial freedom.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1756 on: October 19, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »
Question to all:  How long did it take for you to get the physical card for the AU mailed to you?  Added an AU over two weeks ago but still haven't received the card.  Should this be reason for alarm?  Thanks!

This is no cause for alarm. You really don't need the AU's card. You're not going to activate it, and you're not going to purchase anything with it. The only reason I have them send the card at all is so that it doesn't raise suspicions. (Why is this guy adding an AU, but doesn't want the AU to have a card?)

topshot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1757 on: October 20, 2017, 06:38:08 AM »
Additionally, some banks apparently don't send one unless you ask for it (or tick the checkbox).

However, some banks (e.g., WealthyAccountant mentioned Chase) apparently do use a different number on the extra cards so you should manufacture some spending on those if that is the case. I'd assume they would always send the card if it has a separate number, but who knows.

hgjjgkj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1758 on: October 20, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
I think Arebelspy looked into this. I think there is a risk that I have not seen discussed which is the AU sellers actually sign up to steal the identity of your AU buyers. If this happens once you are dead and likely getting sued.

frozen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1759 on: October 20, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
I think Arebelspy looked into this. I think there is a risk that I have not seen discussed which is the AU sellers actually sign up to steal the identity of your AU buyers. If this happens once you are dead and likely getting sued.
I see the risk. But it seems like a bad bet for an identity thief to sign up as an AU seller for the purpose of stealing the identity of an AU buyer who likely has a low credit score.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1760 on: October 20, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
I see the risk. But it seems like a bad bet for an identity thief to sign up as an AU seller for the purpose of stealing the identity of an AU buyer who likely has a low credit score.
But they won't have nearly as bad a credit score in the near-term.

frozen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1761 on: October 20, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »
Anyone else having a rough time adding AUs to Citi?
A few days ago I had to make several calls into Citi to get an AU added because they were not showing up when I checked my account online.
And last night I wasted 30 minutes on the phone trying to add an AU, transferred from rep to rep and they told me they kept getting errors. I finally gave up, but will try again later.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1762 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
A few days ago I had to make several calls into Citi to get an AU added because they were not showing up when I checked my account online.
And last night I wasted 30 minutes on the phone trying to add an AU, transferred from rep to rep and they told me they kept getting errors. I finally gave up, but will try again later.

No issues when I did a week or two ago, but Citi IT and customer service are notoriously problematic.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1763 on: October 20, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »

Yes I had a problem doing it with them last Sunday night - few days ago.  I got the typical CSR person at first, then they transferred me to fraud or something and they made me confirm a text that they sent to my cell phone. The person then confirmed he added the A.U. but then I didn't see the add on the Citi website for my credit card.
So then I added the person using the online form. That worked immediately. I called today to confirm that the Soc. Sec. number was associated with the Authorized User, and the CSR agent said it was.

frozen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1764 on: October 20, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Iíll try online and then calling in later to add the soc. But really, I. About ready to pull my Citi cards. Not worth the hassle.

robartsd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1765 on: October 20, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
I think the risks of getting caught would be too high for a tradeline seller to be directly invoved in identity theft. The tradeline provider could potentially sell AU information on the black market to indirectly be involved in identity theft. If done carefully (secure communication and record keeping, plausible explaination for receipt of funds) they probably could prevent their link to the crime from being discovered.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1766 on: October 20, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
Payment update: They are paying out at the same time as the old company, end of the month following the closing (so typically 4-8 weeks, depending on when the statement closed.  E.g. a closing in August will pay at the end of September). The original posts have been updated to reflect this.

(If you have not been paid for an August add, please let me know.)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1767 on: October 22, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »
Yes, I added 2, which did not show up.
then I called and spent a really long time with the rep, spelling names etc.
they said, they'd show the next day
NExt day: nothing

So I called again...checked back...one of the two ended up showing, the other not
I waited another day, called again about the second one, was assured it would be added
Could not check for a couple of days, due to lack of internet.

When I checked again: Nothing

In the portal it says only one posted, so I missed out on the second one.
The process with citi is cumbersome at best. This was my first time adding with CITI, as I just added that card a few months ago and only got a sale last month.

Also, got a new add for Barclay on Friday, which I added.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Mr. Spock

Trial FIRE blog: http://thefrugalhumanist.com

Save money on pet food: http://pennywisepaws.com

Cdc0515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1768 on: October 23, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »
what trade  line companies do you guys use?

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #1769 on: October 23, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »
what trade  line companies do you guys use?

You should PM arebelspy if you're interested. Although seeing as you only have 3 posts to your name, he may not be ready to offer up a recommendation to you until you've proven yourself a little more.

JMoney777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1770 on: October 30, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the great writeup!  I'm definitely going to be giving this a try.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1771 on: October 31, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
I just got declined when I asked for a credit limit increase on my Capital One card. The reason given was too many recent inquiries. Does anyone know CapOne's rules? How many inquiries are allowed, and how long ago?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1772 on: October 31, 2017, 03:52:19 PM »
Has anyone ever bought a tradeline?

59ona64

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1774 on: November 01, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
Solon brings up a good point--people have talked about getting into the TL business here. It wouldn't hurt for them to become a customer at the major tradeline companies with whom they'll compete to learn their process, their sales funnel, screening, timeline, etc.

I'm interested in selling my TLs, and the whole time I was reading both sets of posts I was thinking there's a business opportunity here. I don't have experience in this type of business, and it seems marketing is the big need and I have a few ideas on where to find clients. I don't, however, have any background in this type of business.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1775 on: November 02, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »
Company sent an email update. Most relevant items to most people, IMO is what cards they're currently pausing/activating:

8.  At this time we are not selling USAA, Chase, or Elan.  We are not selling these cards because we strongly believe that these banks are conducting internal audits relating to authorized user accounts.  We feel the risk is too high for card closures.   This will change in the future when we know the risk has decreased. We will keep you posted.

9.  We are selling B of A cards once again.  However, this is still one of the highest risk cards for card closure.  If you wish to have your B of A reactivated please let me know.

10. We believe the audit has ended for Discover and we can begin selling it again.  If you would like to keep your Discover card on "resting" status please let me know.  As a reminder Discover usually requires a copy of ID and SS card, these can be found in the portal in the customer profile.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Stubble
« Reply #1776 on: November 02, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
My first sale was added towards the end of August and the card closed in September. I should have been paid at the end of October, correct?

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1777 on: November 02, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
My first sale was added towards the end of August and the card closed in September. I should have been paid at the end of October, correct?

The email ARS referenced above implies you should see a direct deposit by 11/10.

(My experience has been that they are slow to pay but they always do pay and pay accurately.  Since this is bonus money anyway I hope nobody here is relying on the timely payments to, say, make rent.)
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Stubble
« Reply #1778 on: November 02, 2017, 07:05:01 PM »
Oo

The email ARS referenced above implies you should see a direct deposit by 11/10.

Ah, I misread when direct deposit should hit your account.

hgjjgkj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1779 on: November 02, 2017, 10:46:37 PM »
I have 2 cards with the new company now. Both 2 years old. 1 has an 11k limit. The other has a 15k limit. I think the second card is in a more expensive price tier. I have never sold anything on the second card, but the first one sells pretty decently. Should I lower the limit on the second one with the company so it falls into the cheaper tier?

Secondly, just got approved for a card with a 24k limit but its brand new. How soon could i reasonably list it?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1780 on: November 03, 2017, 01:27:44 PM »
I have 2 cards with the new company now. Both 2 years old. 1 has an 11k limit. The other has a 15k limit. I think the second card is in a more expensive price tier. I have never sold anything on the second card, but the first one sells pretty decently. Should I lower the limit on the second one with the company so it falls into the cheaper tier?

Secondly, just got approved for a card with a 24k limit but its brand new. How soon could i reasonably list it?

Usually these cards are supposed to age for at least 3 years. So I'm impressed the new company has sold tradelines for your card that is 2 years old with only an 11k limit.

hgjjgkj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1781 on: November 03, 2017, 08:13:09 PM »

Usually these cards are supposed to age for at least 3 years. So I'm impressed the new company has sold tradelines for your card that is 2 years old with only an 11k limit.

Elsewhere in the chat, 2 years is cited frequently.

topshot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1782 on: November 03, 2017, 08:22:24 PM »
The payout chart has categories for 12-24mos, 2-7 yrs and 8+ yrs so apparently even just 12 mos old COULD work.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1783 on: November 03, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
They aren't taking 12 mo old cards right now unless they have a very high limit, but there are people selling spots on cards < 2 yrs.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #1784 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »
I have a Capital One card that says "business" on it but appears to be reporting on my personal credit report.  Can it be used for piggybacking?

hgjjgkj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1785 on: November 04, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
They aren't taking 12 mo old cards right now unless they have a very high limit, but there are people selling spots on cards < 2 yrs.

What is the definition of a very high limit?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
    • Shop Your Insurance
« Reply #1786 on: November 04, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »

What is the definition of a very high limit?

I'd guess over $30k.
Live in a state with deregulated electricity? Check out Arcadia Power's Price Alerts Feature!

They also have a solar co-op and wind energy offsets available in all states.

Reduce Your Footprint

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #1787 on: November 04, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
I have a Capital One card that says "business" on it but appears to be reporting on my personal credit report.  Can it be used for piggybacking?

Anyone?  Bueller?

If nobody knows I can just ask the company.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1788 on: November 04, 2017, 06:13:26 PM »
My understanding is that it will not work, that they show up because you are also personally liable, but it will not show up for AUs.

Be interesting to test it. Add one of your kids, then check their report free with credit karma or something in a month.

HangarBay44

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1789 on: November 05, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
Hello everyone, happy to be part of the forum!

I am quite interested in selling tradelines, however I dont have very old lines of credit. Im looking into opening a few new cards and using them lightly for a couple years to let them season and get their limits increased, so that I may then sell those credit lines in the future.

Does anyone have any recommendations for which banks / cards would be better to do this with?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:25:27 AM by HangarBay44 »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1790 on: November 05, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
Barclay is the best, IMO.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1791 on: November 05, 2017, 10:34:51 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for which banks / cards would be better to do this with?

Right now Discover, Bank of America, Barclays, Citi, and US Bank cards are working.  But a lot can change in two years, there are constant changes when certain companies do an audit to watch for activity like this, resulting in the tradeline companies pausing the use of those cards.
Get $150 after $500 spend w/ Chase Freedom: https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/OKUUT3TERJ

Get $500 after $4k spend w/ Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/6NBNP4WEGJ

Sign up for Personal Capital, link one investment account, get $20 Amazon GC: https://www.talkable.com/x/lpr1AX

HangarBay44

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1792 on: November 05, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
Barclay is the best, IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Right now Discover, Bank of America, Barclays, Citi, and US Bank cards are working.  But a lot can change in two years, there are constant changes when certain companies do an audit to watch for activity like this, resulting in the tradeline companies pausing the use of those cards.

Good point, two years is a long time. I am leaning towards Barclays and Discover now, both adding and removing AUs online is very important to me.  For now Ill look into those cards and then be hopeful they are available to sell when the time comes!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:04:30 AM by HangarBay44 »

BikeFanatic

• Stubble
« Reply #1793 on: November 12, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
I had a few add on my citicard now that it is over two years old. I was able to add on line but not remove online. Does anyone have experice with this? I hate to call because I give them opportunity to ask questions and I am not too cool under pressure.

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #1794 on: November 12, 2017, 03:53:01 PM »
...but not remove online. Does anyone have experice with this? I hate to call because I give them opportunity to ask questions and I am not too cool under pressure.

You can send a secure message. I donít think you can remove AUs online on the Citi website. Secure message has worked like a charm for me. Just confirm they removed the correct AU once you get confirmation of the removal (I havenít had a problem, but it is Citi after all...).
FIRE'd since Oct 2016

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1795 on: November 12, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
That's really odd. I have the opposite experience. I have to call to add, but I can remove online.

At first it appears you can add online, but there is no place to enter the SSN. The SSN is crucial, so even if you do add online, you still have to call to add the SSN. I find it's easier just to do the whole add over the phone. As for pressure, I've never felt any. They ask for all the details of the AU, but they never ask anything I don't have the answer to.

Removing is dead simple. Just click the Remove button next to the name. That's it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1796 on: November 12, 2017, 05:04:53 PM »
Try a different browser.

59ona64

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1797 on: November 12, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
What company/broker is currently recommended? Or are people advertising on CL, or elsewhere?
If you're finding the AUs on your own, what is a reasonable charge on a 15 year old TL with a $19,200 limit (just off the top of my head...) aside from "whatever it's worth to you."

hgjjgkj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1798 on: November 13, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
Has anyone added a user to the wrong card before? How big of an error is that?

cashstore2022

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1799 on: November 14, 2017, 02:20:04 PM »
Does anyone know if adding authorized users for tradeline purposes affects my ability to do Chase credit card approvals, under their 5/24 approval/denial policy?  I'm very interested in doing another round of Chase Sapphire cards, so I don't want to jeopardize that... yet.