Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 144979 times)

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache
As Car Jack said, it is hard to figure out but my experience is similar.  My cards that are 24-27 months over 10K see more action that an older cards and higher limit cards.

That is my theory as well. I had a couple immediate sales on a much older card with really high CL. Nothing in the last several months though. I opened a few new cards for sign up bonuses and possible AU sales (if it's still happening) down the road.

cheapass

• Bristles
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
Has anyone been paid yet for April adds? I'm still waiting
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.

Car Jack

• Bristles

nope...

lmf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm still waiting to be paid for my April adds as well.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
I'm still waiting to be paid for my April adds as well.

Me four.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Nope, waiting ...

coolshemp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Nothing added to my checking account this morning....

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Just got news from the owner on April's payments (sent last week).

Apparently everything was sent to their payroll processor on the 31st (last Thurs), but apparently the person who does it didn't receive in time and then was out of the office Fri & Mon and didn't let them know, so they're just being processed today (Tuesday).

Word is they should be direct deposited in two days, on Thursday.

Nothing I can do about it, but still.. sorry.  =/

There have been some embarassing screwups, and I feel bad that the whole thing isn't smooth with the company I'm recommending.

You will get paid, and it's still a good income, but it's annoying, I'm sure, to be expecting a payment and have it not show up on time.

So that's the status. Thursday.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Car Jack

• Bristles
A payroll processor who essentially shuts down when one person is out of the office?  Sounds like someone should fire them pronto.  Alternately, I'd like to offer my services.  I'll promise to not send out payments for half of what they get.

cheapass

• Bristles
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
A payroll processor who essentially shuts down when one person is out of the office?  Sounds like someone should fire them pronto.

Seriously. The more life experience I collect in business and professional realms, the more I'm amazed at how many people don't have any of their shit together.
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.

Car Jack

• Bristles
Just paid for April

aetherie

• Pencil Stache

sobezen

• Bristles
Another month gone by with no sales :(   

Same. And I had all my info submitted over a week before my January closing date. So, missed January, February, March and April. Admittedly, one of the 3 cards is BoA and "resting" now.

Same here - I'm actually thinking about removing my cards from this service.  I might try the "old" company and see how they do with a card or two.  The opportunity cost of just letting these cards sit in this companies queue is just too high.

Ditto.  Seems like the demand for this service might not be as high as imagined.  Will give it another quarter and then reassess.  So far no activity.

Has anyone else had ZERO activity?  If so kindly share your experiences.  So far NOTHING which I find baffling since I have a really good card posted and credit history.  Shrugs.  Will give until end of summer and see what happens.
The best thing money can buy is financial freedom.

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
Maybe they're just clamping down more, or the fact that I'm fairly consistently selling 3 Discover AU slots per month these days is triggering something...fingers crossed it isn't a sign of a coming card shutdown.

If you can, let me know if you get a new sale on your Discover and if it works out ok, or if you have problems.

I decided to be conservative and ask them to not sell any AU on that card currently. I will let it rest for one cycle. Probably was unnecessary, but I didn't want to deal with any hassle.

So a couple days ago I had a call from Discovery Fraud prevention. Essentially to validate which AUs I had added, and that it was me who added them. The voicemail was scary sounding, but verifying the AU's and that it was me who added them was straightforward.

Strange that they called out of the blue, two weeks plus since my last AU add...
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
sobezen- Ive had zero activity. despite a great card, signed up and all documents sent in january. I even wrote them last month and asked if there was anything I should/could do. The response I got was ''yeah, that is a great card. the customers select cards, so who knows?''

honestly, I dont understand. the month prior to that, the company sent an email acknowledging the huge surge of sellers, and explicitly said that they intended to fill their prior sellers before the newbies. Yet, I see multiple posters here, who are as new as me, getting more adds than they can handle. Ive had none. From the posts here, I dont know what to think. I feel petty, complaining that Im not getting my free money, and I should be grateful for the opportunity, but Im sour. And what are my options? I cant have my card listed at multiple companies. I have to choose one. I had one sale in all the time I had it at the first recommended company...so....

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
For those of you not seeing sales, there's a few options:
1) Take the card to another tradeline company. For reasons listed in the initial posts, I don't recommend most of them out there (only two), as I think they're a good way to get your card shut down, but the Mustachian willing to be riskier may want to do so. (Note: Other companies may not have any sales for you either, as the industry as a whole has more cards than AUs, from what I understand, but it's possible.)

2) Sell the lines yourself. If you can find (and verify) AUs, you can make way more than the cut you're getting here, plus get sales, rather than none.

3) Don't sell lines, give up, if it's not worth the hassle frustration (not much hassle in waiting).

4) Be patient and cross your fingers.

I wish I had something better for you. People are seeing sales (and as with anything, the ones who are not seeing them are more vocal--see, for example, the fact that there were more posts about not being paid yet than the number of posts when people were paid). From the metrics I can tell, the new recommendation is selling more lines than the old one, but it's still a numbers game where supply is greater than demand.

I do think there are a number of things the TL companies could be doing better (especially in regards to marketing and bringing in AUs), including some I've recently discussed with the owner of the current TL recommendation, so hopefully everyone will start seeing more sales, but until then, I don't really know what to tell you.

Sorry!
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

LifestyleDeflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Living the FIRE life pre-FIRE
Question for you ARS- you mentioned that you don't keep your physical cards with you since you're on the road. Do you mind sharing what your monthly purchases on the cards are to keep a balance? Do you have enough recurring bills to have one on each card?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Question for you ARS- you mentioned that you don't keep your physical cards with you since you're on the road. Do you mind sharing what your monthly purchases on the cards are to keep a balance? Do you have enough recurring bills to have one on each card?

I only use the cards when I get an AU.

I charge $2.50 to the card to reload my Amazon gift card balance.

I have this bookmarked:
https://smile.amazon.com/asv/reload/order?manualReload.amount=2.50

And all my cards in Amazon. I just click that, login, and select the card that got the AU, and hit "reload balance."  Total clicks: 4 (bookmark, login button, select cc, reload button).

If I don't have a sale on a card in a given month, I don't use it.  I just make sure it has a balance when I add the AU, so it closes with a statement balance to help it report to the AU's account.

Runner77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I finally got my first sell with the new company. I signed up in late December with 3 cards. My Chase card is in a resting status and my other two cards have a credit limit of $20K and have been open for 2 and 3 years. I received a sale on the 3 year \ $20K limit card earlier this week.

monarda

• Bristles
You guys who have been paid for April adds, when in April? I added one April 25, and not paid yet.

Should I consider that one a May add?

Just signed up for a Barclaycard yesterday, they gave me an $11K limit- so that should be a good one for future!

Car Jack

• Bristles
You guys who have been paid for April adds, when in April? I added one April 25, and not paid yet.

Just signed up for a Barclaycard yesterday, they gave me an $11K limit- so that should be a good one for future!

April 6

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

It will probably be a May add.  I got paid for a 3/31 add on 6/8 and have a 4/26 add that has not been paid yet.

I know there is some angst about New Company on various things, and I wish they would be more precise on the payout schedule, but I feel very comfortable that they will pay out the appropriate commissions after a while.

'grats on the Barclaycard.  They are one of the easier ones to deal with when piggybacking.

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How often can you ask for a limit increase?  Or should you?

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

As often as you like, although most cards will only increase limits every 3-6 months, and they usually like to have a good reason to increase your limit, like you using the card a lot, or your income going up.

Should you?  Well, it can increase your credit score somewhat if you care about that sort of thing.  Higher limits on older cards seem to sell well in terms of piggybacking.  Also, New Company pays higher commissions for higher limits.  If you had a card that was on the borderline of a higher commission, you'd want to consider the tradeoff of a higher commission to you vs. the higher cost to and thus possibly lower demand by the AU.

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks.

I have a card from 2005 with a 14k limit.  Just increases from 7k limit today, but I didn't think about there being a sweet spot.

Has anyone noticed a what range that threshold may exist at?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
With the old company, I have a Discover card at $9500.  I have always had my four spots full on that card because it is the cheapest rate for buyers at <$10k limit.  I'd try to get right under the next pay threshold.

So $14,999, $19,999, $29,999, or $39,999.
Get $40 off your first Airbnb trip: www.airbnb.com/c/kylek3619

Get $500 "Fee-free dollars" with Plastiq after making $500 in payments: https://try.plastiq.com/264149

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache

Depends hugely on the issuer. Do some online research on your bank. Discover will consider an increase every 2 months, and it's a basic online form. Other banks are 6 months and want an inquisition. They all vary.

Last August when I found out about this, my old Discover was $3,600 CL. Initial increases were pretty big, but tapered off and I seem stuck at $11,000 now. I am putting more charges through the card and I'll try again at the end of July.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Good point.  I have a Chase card.

From the sounds of kpd905 I'm going to leave it at 14k while I test the demand levels.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
got an add from the new site on a 1 year old card. 
PM me about how to save 6% on your annual grocery Bill!

There is a 35k starwood bonus right now as well. PM me for the info.

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache
got an add from the new site on a 1 year old card.

Another DP. I just got an add on a card that's about 15 months old. Very High CL though.

Belief10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Has anyone tried selling these things on their own? I'm just thinking Craiglist, Facebook, etc. Probably could get close to the $600-800 range per trade and cut out the middle man. Especially if it's a matter of meeting someone in person in the city both parties reside in, that would seem pretty low risk to me...

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Has anyone tried selling these things on their own? I'm just thinking Craiglist, Facebook, etc. Probably could get close to the $600-800 range per trade and cut out the middle man. Especially if it's a matter of meeting someone in person in the city both parties reside in, that would seem pretty low risk to me...

you need to do a lot of research the worst thing you can do is add a fake identity to your credit card then you're part of a fraudulent transaction and will be flagged by the FBI.  so if you can do all your own due diligence then maybe it would work alright. but i like the piece of mind of a middle man.   
PM me about how to save 6% on your annual grocery Bill!

There is a 35k starwood bonus right now as well. PM me for the info.

HawkRider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

2) Sell the lines yourself. If you can find (and verify) AUs, you can make way more than the cut you're getting here, plus get sales, rather than none.

What rate would one be able to get independently?  Double?

I have contacted the new company multiple times, with a couple of apologies for being busy, or silence, as the answer.

For the original company, I had one sale in February and just now two for June.  It was a nice surprise and I am glad I left the card there.

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache

you need to do a lot of research the worst thing you can do is add a fake identity to your credit card then you're part of a fraudulent transaction and will be flagged by the FBI.  so if you can do all your own due diligence then maybe it would work alright. but i like the piece of mind of a middle man.

Yep! Certainly not worth the risk for me. YMMV

Shade00

• Stubble
No adds for June but so far have one lined up for July. I haven't removed the 2 AUs from my Discover yet but their 60 days ran out at the end of May, so I'll probably go ahead and remove them both soon, unless there's a compelling reason to leave them on.

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache
No adds for June but so far have one lined up for July. I haven't removed the 2 AUs from my Discover yet but their 60 days ran out at the end of May, so I'll probably go ahead and remove them both soon, unless there's a compelling reason to leave them on.

I think it's 60 days minimum. But longer is actually better. It appears to the CC company that you aren't just cycling through AUs therefore, less chance of drawing suspicion. 

Car Jack

• Bristles

You still could get a June ad.  I just got one for my Discover which doesn't close till the 19th.  Makes sense because my citi that's been getting AUs is already past for June.  If a buyer comes in today, they probably want a closing date that's in the next week so they'll show up on the upcoming reporting cycle.  My cap one closes on the 25th and I see no reason why someone would not potentially pick that in the next few days.  They wouldn't pick my citi because they'd have to wait for 4 weeks for it to report.

Shade00

• Stubble

You still could get a June ad.  I just got one for my Discover which doesn't close till the 19th.  Makes sense because my citi that's been getting AUs is already past for June.  If a buyer comes in today, they probably want a closing date that's in the next week so they'll show up on the upcoming reporting cycle.  My cap one closes on the 25th and I see no reason why someone would not potentially pick that in the next few days.  They wouldn't pick my citi because they'd have to wait for 4 weeks for it to report.

It's too late for a June add for my Discover card due to the closing date. Looking at the grid June is no longer available. That's fine because like the poster above you mentioned, I'd like to avoid cycling AUs too quickly.

katsiki

• Pencil Stache
FWIW, I think they want 75 days, not 60.  I asked when to remove my first AU with the new co.  The reply was I would get notified at 75 days.
"busy eating lentils in a van by the river"

doublethinkmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Following to research later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shade00

• Stubble
FWIW, I think they want 75 days, not 60.  I asked when to remove my first AU with the new co.  The reply was I would get notified at 75 days.

Interesting. I just calculated and I'm at days 79 and 82, respectively, and no notification.

LifestyleDeflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I only use the cards when I get an AU.

I charge $2.50 to the card to reload my Amazon gift card balance.

I have this bookmarked:
https://smile.amazon.com/asv/reload/order?manualReload.amount=2.50

And all my cards in Amazon. I just click that, login, and select the card that got the AU, and hit "reload balance."  Total clicks: 4 (bookmark, login button, select cc, reload button).

If I don't have a sale on a card in a given month, I don't use it.  I just make sure it has a balance when I add the AU, so it closes with a statement balance to help it report to the AU's account.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of stuff you spend your amazon gift card on as a nomad? I'm in a similar situation and have never bought stuff from Amazon on the road.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Do you mind if I ask what kind of stuff you spend your amazon gift card on as a nomad? I'm in a similar situation and have never bought stuff from Amazon on the road.

It's a low enough amount (maybe 10/mo--since one $2.50 charge covers all the AUs on that card that month) that I just let it build, then maybe once or twice a year buy some stuff we need and ship it to family who will be visiting.

Mostly got baby stuff, though recently stuff for our RV (water filters, for example).

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache

It's a low enough amount (maybe 10/mo--since one $2.50 charge covers all the AUs on that card that month) that I just let it build, then maybe once or twice a year buy some stuff we need and ship it to family who will be visiting.

Mostly got baby stuff, though recently stuff for our RV (water filters, for example).

Totally off topic but are you blogging somewhere about your upcoming RV adventures? I somewhat remember you discussing getting an RV back before you were FIRE. I enjoy reading about folks RV adventures. Something we are thinking about doing in the future.

LifestyleDeflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Cool- thanks!

fat-johnny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I registered two card back in late January:
  • Barclay Mastercard, 2 years old, $20.5k limit
  • Discover, 3 years old, $10.5k limit

They have not contacted me at all to add an AU to either of these cards......so I have made no money.

Any advice?  Or do I just wait it out and hope they sell one of my slots soon?
FJ

solon

• Pencil Stache

They have not contacted me at all to add an AU to either of these cards......so I have made no money.

FJ

My card that I've seen sales on is 7 years old. Maybe buyers like older cards?

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache

FJ

Not really anything you can do. I am sure they are flooded with cards. Just don't get your expectations or hopes up. If you get a sale on occasion then just be happy. That's kind of the way I look at it. 

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache

FJ

My oldest is over 20 years, no bites in 6 cycles.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

solon

• Pencil Stache

FJ

My oldest is over 20 years, no bites in 6 cycles.

Maybe it's too old. Maybe it's on the other side of the sweet spot?