Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 144978 times)

tj

• Handlebar Stache
Do I have to email the company to increase the limit on a currently-active card? Just got my Discover increased to $21.9k.

you create a ticket in the portal. That will send them an email.

Shade00

• Stubble
Do I have to email the company to increase the limit on a currently-active card? Just got my Discover increased to $21.9k.

you create a ticket in the portal. That will send them an email.

Thanks. Just submitted a ticket.

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
For any USAA card holders: How do you answer the employment question when calling USAA to add the AU? I say self employed as instructed by the company, and it just opens up a whole bunch of other questions that I really wasn't prepared for... anyone found an easy answer that won't lead to additional questions that we haven't been provided the answer to?

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
For any USAA card holders: How do you answer the employment question when calling USAA to add the AU? I say self employed as instructed by the company, and it just opens up a whole bunch of other questions that I really wasn't prepared for... anyone found an easy answer that won't lead to additional questions that we haven't been provided the answer to?

Nope.  It does seem that USAA is using the answers you give to fill out a customer profile that they have to create for each AU before they add them to your credit card.  I think it's to comply with the anti-terrorist "Know your customer" laws.  I think as long as your answers are consistent and reasonable you will be able to add the AUs.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

hoodedfalcon

• Bristles
For whatever reason, I have only been asked the employer question on my USAA adds once (out of 3). And it was awkward. No, I don't know what Mr. X's degree is in, and why does it matter? It freaked me out at the time since it was my first add but since then it hasn't happened. I think it depends maybe on what you say your relationship to the person is? I think for the first one I said "business associate" or something. For the other adds I think I said contractor.

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yeah I got asked 3 out of 4 times so far. I've been able to make all the adds so far. I was really caught off guard the first time they asked but managed to make it through. Just looking for an easier way. Thanks for the help.

rharringtonx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

"Unemployed at the moment" works for me!

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache
I can't recall if I was asked that or not. I have been asked every time if they are active or former military. I just say no so they don't go trying to sell USAA products. I think most are just standard questions and the rep doesn't seem to really care about the answers.

ejchis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've never received an add request since adding two cards in January. I just logged into the portal to see if I might be missing something, and I noticed that, for past months, it says "unavailable" under "Note to Card Holder." Does anyone know what that means? Does that mean my card was unavailable, or does it mean no one requested an add?

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
It means nobody requested an add, and now those months are unavailable because they're in the past.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I've never received an add request since adding two cards in January. I just logged into the portal to see if I might be missing something, and I noticed that, for past months, it says "unavailable" under "Note to Card Holder." Does anyone know what that means? Does that mean my card was unavailable, or does it mean no one requested an add?

Once it passes the statement date for that month, it switches from available to unavailable for that month.  All past months should either show the name of an AU, or unavailable, if there was no orders.  If it's showing available for the future, and the card status is not "resting," you should be good to go.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache

Once it passes the statement date for that month, it switches from available to unavailable for that month.  All past months should either show the name of an AU, or unavailable, if there was no orders.  If it's showing available for the future, and the card status is not "resting," you should be good to go.

Is there an issue with cards showing as "resting?"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

If it's resting, it's not for sale.

Only B of A cards should be resting right now (and they recently moved some of those to active to test, and will be moving more active next week).

If you have a non-B of A card that is resting, that you didn't request to be put on hold, you should contact them to find out why.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

solon

• Pencil Stache

Only B of A cards should be resting right now (and they recently moved some of those to active to test, and will be moving more active next week).

If you have a non-B of A card that is resting, that you didn't request to be put on hold, you should contact them to find out why.

I believe Chase cards are also resting. At least, mine is.

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache

Both of my cards show resting. Neither are B of A cards. I sent an email asking why. No response

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Both of my cards show resting. Neither are B of A cards. I sent an email asking why. No response

PM me the email address you signed up with, and I will look into it.

Just a reminder to everyone: PM me if you have an issue.  I don't try to track down people making comments in the thread, as I assume they're just informing everyone else, but anyone who PMs me with an issue, I always make sure to get it resolved.  :)

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Chase & BofA cards are resting for me.

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache
Fixed, thanks ARS. FYI heard back from the owner as well and he stated that they will occasionally put cards into a resting state if they don't want to put anymore AUs on those cards for a couple of months to avoid any potential shutdowns. I am perfectly fine with that as long as they don't remain in that state.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
I just received my first AU with new company for my $20k, five year old cap one card.

Adding the AU was easy, even if the html replete with DUPLO pop-up loading bar widgets took me back to 2004.

Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

katsiki

• Pencil Stache
Adding the AU was easy, even if the html replete with DUPLO pop-up loading bar widgets took me back to 2004.

Ha!  I really enjoy the loading bar...  :)  At least, there are no BLINK tags.
"busy eating lentils in a van by the river"

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
Finally got my first add today after months of waiting. 

I was asked by Barclay rep if the person was a US citizen.  ARS, can we assume all the new company's clients are US citizens?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

I was asked by Barclay rep if the person was a US citizen.  ARS, can we assume all the new company's clients are US citizens?

Yep!

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles

Yep!

great, thank you!

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I received a call from USAA today about the two recent authorized users cards I added. They were flagged for potential fraud. I was specifically asked if these were part of a credit repair business by the representative. Also, as this TL company doesn't include gender information I am at al loss of with these add requests. USAA always asks and I can't tell anything from these names. These first 4 adds I've had haven't been worth the trouble.

Car Jack

• Bristles
I received a call from USAA today about the two recent authorized users cards I added. They were flagged for potential fraud. I was specifically asked if these were part of a credit repair business by the representative. Also, as this TL company doesn't include gender information I am at al loss of with these add requests. USAA always asks and I can't tell anything from these names. These first 4 adds I've had haven't been worth the trouble.

Wow!  This scares me just reading your experience.  I've only had one ad and made up a complete story in my head just in case but with 4 ads and the direct question....yikes.  Are you pulling this card for future ads?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Yeah, that sounds super annoying.

I don't have any USAA cards, so I haven't dealt with any of that.

I feel like I'd put up with the hassle for a few hundred bucks, but maybe not.  Definitely appreciating the Barclays and Discover adds right now, which are all online for both adds and removals (though Discover does occasionally ask for documents, it seems pretty rare, for me).

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I feel like I'd put up with the hassle for a few hundred bucks, but maybe not.  Definitely appreciating the Barclays and Discover adds right now, which are all online for both adds and removals (though Discover does occasionally ask for documents, it seems pretty rare, for me).

So the plot gets thicker. Well I though things were good to go, but I was called back by a
higher level fraud supervisor and grilled for an hour. I was told that
both of these people are from eastern bloc countries (doesn't seen
like it from the names) but I had no choice in their authorized user
accounts being closed. It sounds like one of the actually stole an
identity of someone in the military or was actively impersonating a
military member. Both people I added were individually flagged.

This obviously causes a huge loss faith in their background checks.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal

Yes it does.
Last one to panic wins!

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
I was specifically asked if these were part of a credit repair business by the representative.

Did you lie? If not, how did they react?

This is why USAA isn't worth it to me - I'm sure they could decide to stop insuring me if they feel like it.

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was specifically asked if these were part of a credit repair business by the representative.

This is why USAA isn't worth it to me - I'm sure they could decide to stop insuring me if they feel like it.

If I thought coming clean would have saved my accounts then I might have but I suspect that would have been an immediate closure of all of my accounts. We'll see what happeens. They told me they'd be turning my accounts back on within 10 minutes but that was 12 hours ago. I definitely don't want to call back. I'll just see what happens.

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache

If I thought coming clean would have saved my accounts then I might have but I suspect that would have been an immediate closure of all of my accounts. We'll see what happeens. They told me they'd be turning my accounts back on within 10 minutes but that was 12 hours ago. I definitely don't want to call back. I'll just see what happens.

Dang that's a little scary. The names of the folks for my AU adds were difficult to pronounce (definitely not native to the US). So the thought crossed my mind of them maybe not being vetted well before I called USAA. Everything turned out ok though. This certainly makes me skeptical of their vetting process. 

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

So the plot gets thicker. Well I though things were good to go, but I was called back by a
higher level fraud supervisor and grilled for an hour. I was told that
both of these people are from eastern bloc countries (doesn't seen
like it from the names) but I had no choice in their authorized user
accounts being closed. It sounds like one of the actually stole an
identity of someone in the military or was actively impersonating a
military member. Both people I added were individually flagged.

I don't like the sound of this at all....

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
The names of the folks for my AU adds were difficult to pronounce (definitely not native to the US).

This is tangential to the discussion, but a slight pet peeve: You are making a lot of assumptions about whether someone was born in the US or not based on your difficulty in pronouncing their name. There are a lot of implicit cultural and racial assumptions that are slightly problematic in that. (Your guess on their place of birth may or may not be right, but it's worth questioning the assumptions and what they imply)

Also don't forget, if they had a Cherokee name, you might have trouble pronouncing it, depending on your familiarity, but it would be a stretch and maybe slightly insulting to say they are't native to the US :)

Not to detour the conversation
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

Car Jack

• Bristles
Where they were born isn't really of concern to us.  Having the story lined up might.  My (only) ad was a foreign sounding name that I practiced and when calling to add the ss #, the CSR had trouble pronouncing the first name and I jumped right in with the correct (aka, what I had pre-determined is the correct) pronunciation.  Right to ss # add and have a nice day.

I have had people say "buy a vowel!" when spelling out my last name.  It's eastern European but 3rd generation.  I actually pronounce it incorrectly from its origin.  I'm sure it would sound foreign born to someone just looking at it.

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache
The names of the folks for my AU adds were difficult to pronounce (definitely not native to the US).

This is tangential to the discussion, but a slight pet peeve: You are making a lot of assumptions about whether someone was born in the US or not based on your difficulty in pronouncing their name. There are a lot of implicit cultural and racial assumptions that are slightly problematic in that. (Your guess on their place of birth may or may not be right, but it's worth questioning the assumptions and what they imply)

Also don't forget, if they had a Cherokee name, you might have trouble pronouncing it, depending on your familiarity, but it would be a stretch and maybe slightly insulting to say they are't native to the US :)

Not to detour the conversation

I understand after reading what I wrote that this might have come off insulting. And I apologize. I have no ideal if the AUs are native to the US but what I meant (and probably could have stated more eloquently) was that their names are not typical US names. In fact I did a bit of Googling in trying to learn how to pronounce at least one of the names and was able to find it's origination.  Quite interesting to find that it's a very rare name in the US.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:40:29 AM by BeginnerStache »

hoodedfalcon

• Bristles
I have found an easy way to avoid the potential mispronunciation is to say "it would probably be best if I just spelled it for you." When I have done this and spelled it out, they haven't asked for me to say the name. I do still try to research how to pronounce it and I have it spelled out phonetically in my notes in case they do.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
I have found an easy way to avoid the potential mispronunciation is to say "it would probably be best if I just spelled it for you." When I have done this and spelled it out, they haven't asked for me to say the name. I do still try to research how to pronounce it and I have it spelled out phonetically in my notes in case they do.

man you guys are putting alot of work into this i just call in and spell it and i'm done with it.
PM me about how to save 6% on your annual grocery Bill!

There is a 35k starwood bonus right now as well. PM me for the info.

MasterStache

• Pencil Stache

man you guys are putting alot of work into this i just call in and spell it and i'm done with it.

Haha, you are probably right. I probably wouldn't care if USAA wasn't such a stickler for everything. I like to be prepared.

cheapass

• Bristles
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
I've got one AU that I added to my card on 4/11/17, posted 4/16/17 but it says it is not confirmed yet. Is this normal or can I expect a failure on this one?
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I've got one AU that I added to my card on 4/11/17, posted 4/16/17 but it says it is not confirmed yet. Is this normal or can I expect a failure on this one?

I'm sure they're just waiting to hear from the client that it posted.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
Another data point re: Discover Card / old TL co.

I've been easily adding and removing AUs for months now online, add the info, instant approval, thank you very much, we're sending you the card. Easy!

A few days ago I added an AU and was asked for the first time to upload documentation proving SS/citizenship, no problem, then again, instant approval, card is on its way. Easy!

Then today I went to add another AU online. It didn't ask for any documentation, I just got a message that said "Check back here for our decision..." but when I logged off/ back on, I didn't see anything like "pending" or anything as I poked around the Manage authorized users section. I couldn't tell if the request had actually "stuck."

So I did a chat with them, they confirmed that they'd received the request, and said that they'd let me know their decision in 72 hours. That puts me past the statement closing date, so I guess I can't make this particular sale, but more concerning is that either a) I'm doing enough adding and removing of AUs that they're starting to look more closely at *my* account before they approve AU adds, or b) in general, they're being more methodical/focused on AUs being added.

Bummer!

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
As I mentioned previously, I limited my US Bank card with OldCo to 1 AU.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

sol

• Walrus Stache
I think we've had too many bank employees visit this thread.  Maybe ars single handedly destroyed the AU industry by bringing it too much publicity?  Is every bank now going to crack down on this process?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:07:56 PM by sol »

katsiki

• Pencil Stache
I think we've had too many bank employees visit this thread.  Maybe ars single handedly destroyed the AU industry by bringing it to much publicity?  Is every bank now going to crack down on this process?

Good point.  I did have the thought that the possible tradeline company forum should be moved to journals to block it from google, etc.  Maybe this one too..

"busy eating lentils in a van by the river"

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
I'm sure they're just waiting to hear from the client that it posted.
Why would they need to hear from the client... actually...
Dear Mr Rebel;   Could you give us an overview of the whole process?
How does the Co. market this?  How does the Co approve a client? How do the clients pick or get a card slot to be added to?  How are the adds confirmed?  Etc...

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
I think we've had too many bank employees visit this thread.  Maybe ars single handedly destroyed the AU industry by bringing it to much publicity?  Is every bank now going to crack down on this process?

Good point.  I did have the thought that the possible tradeline company forum should be moved to journals to block it from google, etc.  Maybe this one too..

I second this suggestion. Move to journals?
Last one to panic wins!

bigalsmith101

• Bristles
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
Since February, I have added 4 authorized users onto my US Bank Mastercard. This past weekend, my card was denied at the store when I tried to make a small purchase. Then again, the next day, it was denied. Hmmmm...

So, just 30 minutes ago, I called the number on the back of the card. Instead of the generalized prompts and such,  after entering my card number I was immediately transferred to a live customer service rep, and several questions were fired off instantly. "Can you tell me your name and address please?" No problem. "Last 4 of your SSN?" Yep. "Your date of birth please?" Sure. Then, "What can I assist you with today sir?

I told her that my card had been denied recently at the store. She said, "let me look into that". Then, "Do you have any other users on your account?" Yes, I do. "How many?"

This is where I faltered. I could only remember the first two individuals that I had added. I work from home, and I had my computer in front of me, and was FAST at the keys. The first two AU's were added before the web portal, and I had to search my email for the request I had received to add them. I found it (not very fast, and had to make b.s chit-chat), and then told her I had added two, and then gave her the names of the users.

She says, "Is that all? Do you only have those two?" At which point I'm like, "Yea. For sure." and she says, "Mr. Smith, you'll have to go down to your local US bank location, with your drivers license etc, and provide all of the information in person. The data you've given me doesn't QUITE match up to our records."

At this point I realized I have two more recently added, and I have 4 total A/U's on the card.

So, thats where I'm at now. I'm about to go down to the US Bank near my house, and get this sorted out. I'm the fastest talking guy in the city when I have all the information in my head, but allowed them to get the best of me when I called, unprepared to answer the questions that I should have foreseen would be asked.

I'll keep you guys posted.

The service rep then moved directly onto following questions and asked if I had any other users on my card. I told her I did. She asked for the names. I was caught off guard, and didn't have the names of all of the authorized users at hand immediately.

I was told I'll need to go into a US Bank location and provide all information, for all of the authorized users on my account, in order to lift the hold on my account.
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
Since February, I have added 4 authorized users onto my US Bank Mastercard. This past weekend, my card was denied at the store when I tried to make a small purchase. Then again, the next day, it was denied. Hmmmm...

So, just 30 minutes ago, I called the number on the back of the card. Instead of the generalized prompts and such,  after entering my card number I was immediately transferred to a live customer service rep, and several questions were fired off instantly. "Can you tell me your name and address please?" No problem. "Last 4 of your SSN?" Yep. "Your date of birth please?" Sure. Then, "What can I assist you with today sir?

I told her that my card had been denied recently at the store. She said, "let me look into that". Then, "Do you have any other users on your account?" Yes, I do. "How many?"

This is where I faltered. I could only remember the first two individuals that I had added. I work from home, and I had my computer in front of me, and was FAST at the keys. The first two AU's were added before the web portal, and I had to search my email for the request I had received to add them. I found it (not very fast, and had to make b.s chit-chat), and then told her I had added two, and then gave her the names of the users.

She says, "Is that all? Do you only have those two?" At which point I'm like, "Yea. For sure." and she says, "Mr. Smith, you'll have to go down to your local US bank location, with your drivers license etc, and provide all of the information in person. The data you've given me doesn't QUITE match up to our records."

At this point I realized I have two more recently added, and I have 4 total A/U's on the card.

So, thats where I'm at now. I'm about to go down to the US Bank near my house, and get this sorted out. I'm the fastest talking guy in the city when I have all the information in my head, but allowed them to get the best of me when I called, unprepared to answer the questions that I should have foreseen would be asked.

I'll keep you guys posted.

The service rep then moved directly onto following questions and asked if I had any other users on my card. I told her I did. She asked for the names. I was caught off guard, and didn't have the names of all of the authorized users at hand immediately.

I was told I'll need to go into a US Bank location and provide all information, for all of the authorized users on my account, in order to lift the hold on my account.

I am pretty darn sure the limit on authorized users for US Bank cards is 2.

That means you have to remove 2 before adding 2.

If you have more than 2 AUs, you will be flagged.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

bigalsmith101

• Bristles
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
I am pretty darn sure the limit on authorized users for US Bank cards is 2.

That means you have to remove 2 before adding 2.

If you have more than 2 AUs, you will be flagged.

That may very well be. However, I haven't been instructed to remove the two initial AU's I added 2/26 and 2/27. Am I to wait for instruction to remove the AUs, or simply wait 90 days?
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

cheapass

• Bristles
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
That may very well be. However, I haven't been instructed to remove the two initial AU's I added 2/26 and 2/27. Am I to wait for instruction to remove the AUs, or simply wait 90 days?

I think you're only required to leave them on for 60 days.
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.