Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 206039 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking: $600+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #700 on: November 20, 2016, 12:23:20 AM »
I have a Barclay card in the system now.  I have another Barclay card that became 2 years old pretty recently.  I am wondering if adding it (when they start taking new cards) is a good idea.  My current card is doing 3-4 AU's per month as of late.  Would it raise suspicion with the CC company if I am using a number of AU spots on both cards?

Thanks for any insight.

That's a good question.

I do have multiple cards enrolled from the same provider (both B of A and Barclays).  I do believe the CC company is more likely to notice with more (cause the advice with Chase is to transfer all the credit to a single card, and just enroll that one), but these are all cards I'm fine with getting cancelled.  Heck, the only reason I still have the Barclays open (whcih have a $95 fee, so I'd normally cancel if they wouldn't waive it or have a fee free card to downgrade to) is to sell lines on it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #701 on: November 20, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »
I have a Barclay card in the system now.  I have another Barclay card that became 2 years old pretty recently.  I am wondering if adding it (when they start taking new cards) is a good idea.  My current card is doing 3-4 AU's per month as of late.  Would it raise suspicion with the CC company if I am using a number of AU spots on both cards?

Thanks for any insight.

That's a good question.

I do have multiple cards enrolled from the same provider (both B of A and Barclays).  I do believe the CC company is more likely to notice with more (cause the advice with Chase is to transfer all the credit to a single card, and just enroll that one), but these are all cards I'm fine with getting cancelled.  Heck, the only reason I still have the Barclays open (whcih have a $95 fee, so I'd normally cancel if they wouldn't waive it or have a fee free card to downgrade to) is to sell lines on it.

I'm sure it depends on the bank, but I was hesitant to open up max "spots" for this reason, I have 2 barclay cards in the system, each with 4 spots open. I have 3 citibank cards, the most popular one is limited to 3 spots, and the other two have 4 spots (but rarely get more than 1 per cycle).

jpdcpajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #702 on: November 20, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »
following

merle1984

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #703 on: November 21, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
My limits are low, 4k 2k, and 1k. My credit is good - great range. If I were to apply for an increase and be denied, is it possible to go directly to the bank with cash in order to obtain the increase?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #704 on: November 21, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »
My limits are low, 4k 2k, and 1k. My credit is good - great range. If I were to apply for an increase and be denied, is it possible to go directly to the bank with cash in order to obtain the increase?

No.  Credit limits are generally based on three things:  your credit score, your stated annual income, and, to a lesser extent, your relationship with that credit issuer.  You'll need to improve in those three areas, not show up with cash.

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #705 on: November 22, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »
What an amazing concept and what an entertaining read. I went through all 15 pages in one sitting. Also kicking myself for taking a break from the forum when all this was being discussed even though I don't have cards that match the requirements. My Citi card has a $9k limit, and the two Discover cards that I have are even worse. :)

I'll still PM ARebelSpy for a referral for *the good company*. Maybe by January I will have managed to get my limits increased.

Zap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #706 on: November 22, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »
I've been signed up since the end of July, and finally got my first two sales!

It may have been covered previously, but when you call to remove the AUs, do you remove them all on the same call, or should you only remove one per call? I'm not sure it really matters as I would assume there is a call history attached to the account?

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #707 on: November 22, 2016, 01:05:03 PM »

Thanks for any insight.
I don't have any insight into multiple cards with Barclays, but I can tell you I have 3 cards with Citi that I have been adding/removing AUs for nearly 2 years. But regarding Barclays, I heard from one of the companies I work with that Barclays has a lifetime limit on adding authorized users per card.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #708 on: November 22, 2016, 01:36:09 PM »

It may have been covered previously, but when you call to remove the AUs, do you remove them all on the same call, or should you only remove one per call? I'm not sure it really matters as I would assume there is a call history attached to the account?

Best practice is one AU add or remove per call.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #709 on: November 22, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »
Do any of the issuers let you add/remove AU's online? Patiently waiting for the "good company" to open the floodgates again. heh.

Zap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #710 on: November 22, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »
Do any of the issuers let you add/remove AU's online? Patiently waiting for the "good company" to open the floodgates again. heh.
Bank of America allows me to add, but not remove, online.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #711 on: November 22, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »

Barclay's lets you add/remove AUs online.

Hadn't heard about the lifetime AUs max before. Has anyone hit it?

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #712 on: November 22, 2016, 04:28:22 PM »

Best practice is one AU add or remove per call.

+1....Has worked well for me so far.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #713 on: November 22, 2016, 07:10:58 PM »

I remove them all in one call.  I do all adds online (and most of my removes, but I do have to call for a few), but if I had to call to add, I'd do one at a time.

I don't have any insight into multiple cards with Barclays, but I can tell you I have 3 cards with Citi that I have been adding/removing AUs for nearly 2 years.

Thanks for the confirm!

But regarding Barclays, I heard from one of the companies I work with that Barclays has a lifetime limit on adding authorized users per card.

Yes, I ran across this recently with a company I was researching.  The limit used to be really high, then got reduced, but is still quite high.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but I'll try to research it some more.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dlawson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #714 on: November 23, 2016, 12:29:51 PM »
Argh, all my older credit cards are AmEx or issues by my Credit Union. I have a 1-year-old Barclay card (SallieMae) and a 1-year-old Citi (Double Cash) that I use for regular expenses. Hopefully selling tradelines is around in another year or so, haha.

If I want to apply for a few extra cards over the next couple months so that I could potentially expand in two years, does anyone have any recommendations? May as well pick up a few sign-up bonuses or rewards options while I'm at it, right?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #715 on: November 23, 2016, 10:00:39 PM »

Yes you can remove online with many cards but often it's not a specific link that says "remove AU", rather you create and send a "secure message" or the like with your request to remove specified AU

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #716 on: November 23, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »
General Question: As this is income for which you'll receive a 1099 and then have to report on your taxes, what associated expenses could also be written off/deducted from that income?

Better thread to discuss this is somewhere else, is it perhaps more a tax / business expense question?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #717 on: November 23, 2016, 10:04:14 PM »

Yes you can remove online with many cards but often it's not a specific link that says "remove AU", rather you create and send a "secure message" or the like with your request to remove specified AU

Nice.  I've never done that, I always call if there's no button to remove them (like Discover and Barclays have).  Which companies have let you removed over secure messaging?

General Question: As this is income for which you'll receive a 1099 and then have to report on your taxes, what associated expenses could also be written off/deducted from that income?

I don't see why not.

The problem is you have to prorate the use for the business, and the amount of time that it takes is so tiny.

2 minutes to add person.. what percent of computer use is that?  5 minute call to remove them... what percent of using your phone is related to this business use?

So, sure, you can deduct expenses, but it'd probably be pretty small.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #718 on: November 24, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »

I don't see why not.

The problem is you have to prorate the use for the business, and the amount of time that it takes is so tiny.

2 minutes to add person.. what percent of computer use is that?  5 minute call to remove them... what percent of using your phone is related to this business use?

The thing I'm most curious about is annual fees on the cards... it's not technically a business card, but the only reason I keep it open is to sell tradelines on it, can the annual fee be considered a business expense? I assumed no, but haven't researched it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #719 on: November 24, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »

I don't see why not.

The thing I'm most curious about is annual fees on the cards... it's not technically a business card, but the only reason I keep it open is to sell tradelines on it, can the annual fee be considered a business expense? I assumed no, but haven't researched it.

Why would you assume no?  I'd assume yes.

It's an expense directly related to revenue generating, an expense that wouldn't exist without earning that income.  I think that's pretty much exactly the definition of business expense; the fact that it's a personal card rather than business card doesn't matter.

I think.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than either of us can chime in.  :)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #720 on: November 24, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »

It's an expense directly related to revenue generating, an expense that wouldn't exist without earning that income.  I think that's pretty much exactly the definition of business expense; the fact that it's a personal card rather than business card doesn't matter.

I think.

The interpretation of the rule I've seen after 5 minutes of searching is... if the expenses on the card are all business related, then you can deduct the fee. I put $3 Amazon reloads on the card every month, which eventually get spent on personal purchases. Hmmm...

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: November 24, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »
Speaking of taxes, can someone who has been doing this for 1-2 years comment on tax implications?  I read up thread that the type of 1099 (IIRC) might trigger some notice from the IRS depending on how you report it.  I believe it was related to self employment taxes.  Thanks for any info!

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #722 on: November 25, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
Speaking of taxes, can someone who has been doing this for 1-2 years comment on tax implications?  I read up thread that the type of 1099 (IIRC) might trigger some notice from the IRS depending on how you report it.  I believe it was related to self employment taxes.  Thanks for any info!
I received a 1099 last year and paid self employment taxes. I used Turbo Tax and had no issues.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #723 on: November 25, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
Just to confirm that I've gleaned the correct information out of this thread, I'd like to confirm a question.

Is the Southwest Rapid Rewards card a viable card to use for trade lines? I'm just about to cancel my two southwest cards prior to their second annual charge, but won't if I can use them to sell tradelines.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #724 on: November 25, 2016, 10:26:50 PM »
Just to confirm that I've gleaned the correct information out of this thread, I'd like to confirm a question.

Is the Southwest Rapid Rewards card a viable card to use for trade lines? I'm just about to cancel my two southwest cards prior to their second annual charge, but won't if I can use them to sell tradelines.

Sure, they'll work fine, but they're Chase, so have higher risk. Read the Chase caveats in the thread.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #725 on: November 25, 2016, 10:59:45 PM »
Nice.  I've never done that, I always call if there's no button to remove them (like Discover and Barclays have).  Which companies have let you removed over secure messaging?

I've done it with Chase

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #726 on: November 26, 2016, 01:50:30 AM »

Sure, they'll work fine, but they're Chase, so have higher risk. Read the Chase caveats in the thread.

I'm glad I asked before shutting them down. I'll be accruing $160 in fees for the next year to keep them both open, but they just hit the two year mark this week. It's offset a bit by the 6k points per card I'll receive as an "anniversary gift". Win win.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #727 on: November 26, 2016, 06:05:51 AM »

I'm glad I asked before shutting them down. I'll be accruing $160 in fees for the next year to keep them both open, but they just hit the two year mark this week. It's offset a bit by the 6k points per card I'll receive as an "anniversary gift". Win win.
According to the tradeline firm, Chase has the highest shutdown rate and lowest posting rate. They are no longer working with them as of Dec. 1. There are other companies that do still take Chase though.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #728 on: November 26, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »
I believe the problem with Chase cards is they don't attach a social security number with the authorized user you have added.

dlawson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #729 on: November 28, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »
Has anyone tried enrolling their Citi Costco card? I'm not sure how account age is calculated in this case, with Costco switching from AmEx to Citi earlier this year. I do know that all my old AmEx statements are loaded into my Citi account portal, which makes me think that it might qualify as a five-year-old card rather than a six-month-old card.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #730 on: November 28, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »
Has anyone tried enrolling their Citi Costco card? I'm not sure how account age is calculated in this case, with Costco switching from AmEx to Citi earlier this year. I do know that all my old AmEx statements are loaded into my Citi account portal, which makes me think that it might qualify as a five-year-old card rather than a six-month-old card.
Correct, because of the transfer, the 'start date' of teh account is when the original Amex account began (according to the credit report).
However, for the Citi Costco card, the AU needs to provide a Costco Member Account # as part of filling out the (online) AU form (required). So unfortunately, this is not viable unless the tradeline business updates their site to collect that information as well for these type of accounts.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #731 on: November 28, 2016, 04:44:02 PM »

I checked Credit Karma, and my "new" account with Citi is showing as a transfer, with the opening date of the original Amex card. The staff at the broker said I could add it based on the inherited history, but not until January when they re-open addition of new cards.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #732 on: November 28, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »

I think.

The interpretation of the rule I've seen after 5 minutes of searching is... if the expenses on the card are all business related, then you can deduct the fee. I put $3 Amazon reloads on the card every month, which eventually get spent on personal purchases. Hmmm...

If that's what you are thinking, you should probably check if the tax benefit from deducting the annual fee is greater than the $36 of spending, and perhaps if it is, you shouldn't use it for personal purposes (and also consider dropping it to $1 or $2 a month if that still serves the purpose)

i.e. is $36  < marginal tax rate * annual fee ?
Does that sound like the right way to look at it?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #733 on: November 28, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »

I think.

If that's what you are thinking, you should probably check if the tax benefit from deducting the annual fee is greater than the $36 of spending, and perhaps if it is, you shouldn't use it for personal purposes (and also consider dropping it to $1 or $2 a month if that still serves the purpose)

i.e. is $36  < marginal tax rate * annual fee ?
Does that sound like the right way to look at it?

The reload is needed to get a balance to help it report.

I do $2.50.

Can you come up with business expenses to spend that $36 on?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #734 on: November 29, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »
Demand must still be good.  I received 2 orders today.  Card is maxed out again.

I had one to remove today.  I decided to do it after the first order.  2 hours later another order came through.  Might be chance but I'll be sure to remove them right away going forward!

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #735 on: November 29, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
I consistently sell all 3 spots on my Barclays card (23k limit; 8 years old) to the co. ARS recommended, but my Discover spots never sell: 11k limit; 5 years old.

Are others selling Discover slots, and if so, what is your card age / limit? Maybe I should keep working on increasing my limit on it.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #736 on: November 29, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »
I haven't gotten a single sale on my Discover card that has a 13K limit and is 11 years old.  But with an alternative company I did get 1 sale on another Discover card that only has 8.5K and is 13 years old. I haven't been paid yet as the 60-day time frame is not yet finished for the tradeline sale.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #737 on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:04 PM »
Started in the program end of June, got 2 orders for my Discover at the beginning of August (2.5 years old and $9.2k limit). No orders since. Likely going to request another credit line increase on that card soon.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #738 on: November 30, 2016, 02:17:32 AM »
Demand must still be good.  I received 2 orders today.  Card is maxed out again.

Nice!  It's pretty hit or miss, but I've gotten PMs from people confirming they're getting orders; if you aren't, my advice is to just be patient.

Are others selling Discover slots...Maybe I should keep working on increasing my limit on it.

Yep!  As above, if you aren't yet, wait, and hopefully it'll come.

Always worth trying to increase the limit to make it more desirable, IMO.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #739 on: November 30, 2016, 04:59:54 AM »
:( no orders yet for this month. I was growing accustomed to that email alert coming in a couple days before the end of each month. Not looking good.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #740 on: November 30, 2016, 05:38:37 AM »
i havent gotten any orders from the original site in 2 months. its flooded.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #741 on: November 30, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »
My BofA card sold out its two slots this month....was pleased since we are still under the old rates for those sales :)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #742 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »
Demand may be more a function of the card's age.  My card that is selling out is a little over 8 years old.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #743 on: November 30, 2016, 09:28:46 AM »
my cards are 5 6 and 11

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #744 on: November 30, 2016, 09:31:39 AM »
Demand may be more a function of the card's age.  My card that is selling out is a little over 8 years old.

I think it's more random than that.  I have a card from 2003 (13 years) that didn't sell any, yet a card that's just over two years (June 2014) that sold a line this month.

My best guess is that people tend to take whatever is available soonest--i.e. what has the next closing date? Sometimes they may go for a certain age or limit, but often it's just any card that can post quickly.

Given that criteria, it would be pretty random, just based on if your card closes soon as that order comes in.  Obviously if there's multiple cards, that's where age/limit comes into play.  But I really think closing date matters more, and as orders come in randomly, some months you'll see orders, and others not, and that won't be a function of the card age/limit itself (and maybe having cards with spread out closing dates could be beneficial?).

Just a thought.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: November 30, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »

I think it's more random than that.  I have a card from 2003 (13 years) that didn't sell any, yet a card that's just over two years (June 2014) that sold a line this month.

My best guess is that people tend to take whatever is available soonest--i.e. what has the next closing date? Sometimes they may go for a certain age or limit, but often it's just any card that can post quickly.

Given that criteria, it would be pretty random, just based on if your card closes soon as that order comes in.  Obviously if there's multiple cards, that's where age/limit comes into play.  But I really think closing date matters more, and as orders come in randomly, some months you'll see orders, and others not, and that won't be a function of the card age/limit itself (and maybe having cards with spread out closing dates could be beneficial?).

Just a thought.

that was my thought as well.  closing dates are more important than the rest of the stuff once it meets a criteria.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #746 on: November 30, 2016, 10:21:31 AM »
I called in for a few orders last night/today - I had a really hard time with Citi customer service this time - twice I was put on a mysterious hold and then hung up on, a 3rd time the woman could not understand what I wanted at all. A 4th time, I was transferred to the fraud department (I decided to hang up when they said they were transferring me).

I finally got the AUs squared away, but I am hoping this was a one-time fluke, and not some sort of awareness/dodging of the frequent AU adding/removing.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #747 on: November 30, 2016, 12:35:21 PM »
:( no orders yet for this month. I was growing accustomed to that email alert coming in a couple days before the end of each month. Not looking good.

... and an order just came in. Yeah! One final $400 spot.  Twas good while it lasted.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #748 on: November 30, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »
ARS, please remove my post if you think it doesn't belong, but I have a question about adding an AU but not through this program. Perhaps the hive mind can help.

I want to help my father establish credit (he's an American who's lived abroad most of his life and never had a credit card) because he's moving back to the US and I want to remove any possible obstacles of him renting an apartment, etc. Coincidentally, I received an MR offer from Amex to add an AU. Will adding him to my Amex help my dad at all? I ask because I know the trade line company mentioned in the thread doesn't work with Amex, so does that mean he wouldn't receive a boost from his association with me?

Secondly, the card I'm considering adding my dad to is one that I probably won't renew after next autumn, and I'm not 100% on the timing of my dad's move back stateside. If I end up cancelling the card, will this torpedo any efforts I made in boosting his credit? I'll have had this card for two years.

Given all this info, should I just go with a completely different card (like B of A, which I think is 5 yrs old) and forget the MR offer? 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #749 on: November 30, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »
If you have an older one just add him to that one.

Unless the credit limits are dramatically different I don't see any reason the newer one would be better.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!