Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 206027 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking: $600+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #300 on: August 25, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »
I have two questions for the world at large.

If you reopen a card that has been closed for a year and was open for 3 months, will it show the reopened card as active for 3 months or 1 year and 3 months?

If I downgrade an annual fee card to a no fee version, will my history show the start date of the original card or the no fee change?

Thanks!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #301 on: August 25, 2016, 04:52:49 PM »
I have two questions for the world at large.

If you reopen a card that has been closed for a year and was open for 3 months, will it show the reopened card as active for 3 months or 1 year and 3 months?

If I downgrade an annual fee card to a no fee version, will my history show the start date of the original card or the no fee change?

Thanks!

1 year and 3 months usually.

Start date of the original card usually.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2016, 04:53:15 PM »

Should be original card, like you only had one card the whole time.
Don't know answer to other question.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #303 on: August 25, 2016, 05:00:43 PM »
Thanks guys!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »
Yup, unless the account itself changes (not just the card type), it should all be based off the original open date (even if downgrading or reopening).

Let us know if you have success getting cards reopened, MJ.  I'm quite curious about the rate people have success reopening cards (especially based on the reason they were closed, and how long they'd been closed).  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

enalynom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #305 on: August 26, 2016, 02:16:40 PM »

Can anyone confirm that PNC is currently allowed?

I can confirm for you PNC works, but it is limited to 2 slots.  You should hear the same when you get a reply, and if I'm wrong, please update us, but my info is as of Aug 17.  :)

Thanks, I'll post an update when I hear from them.

I just heard back from them, they do accept PNC.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #306 on: August 26, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
Cool, thanks for the follow-up. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #307 on: August 26, 2016, 07:40:44 PM »
Just to be sure PNC works. It wasn't clear the first 6 times. Can someone confirm PNC works

Does PNC work.

I'm not sure does it

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2016, 07:41:46 PM »
Heh. Never hurts to be sure, especially when you have directly conflicting information. :)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2016, 07:02:52 AM »
I'm curious how this works for the AU.  When does the new account show on their report?  Is it when the card's statement closes?

JasonDetwiler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
what kind of activity are you getting?
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2016, 07:21:46 AM »
Those of you who are enrolled, what kind of activity are you getting? I've been in it a month and a half and only one TL sold. They say the summer is slower, but do you ever get a lot of action?

Belief10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #311 on: August 27, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »
I've been thinking about this. I also work at a bank. The biggest risk I see (practically, and not considering the ethics) is the trade line's owner being tied to someone who has their loan go belly up down the road. For example, someone wants to get a mortgage and uses your credit. People also need to rely on personal credit for commercial loans, which can range in the millions of dollars. The AU game inflates their score from 650 to 750. They qualify based on that. They later go broke and someone does some digging and notices that person was attached to another account. The lending institution sues you because it caused them to grant a loan when they normally wouldn't. It's a little far fetched, but seems in the realm. Probably very unlikely to happen, nonetheless.

The essential question that would be nice to know is: when the bank or whoever pulls a credit report, is the trade line owner's information also attached to the account? Is it just the card number or only part of the card number? You could obviously trace with a full card number. I just wonder if the company utilizing the information would be able to tie that back to someone. Even assuming that "worst case" scenario, it's hard to imagine how a lawsuit could be developed "with the intent to defraud" from a trade line seller. Of course I'm filling out my paperwork now so maybe I'm biased.

I need to remember to look at a credit report this week and see if there's any identifiable information on it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: August 27, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »
I'm curious how this works for the AU.  When does the new account show on their report?  Is it when the card's statement closes?

Yes, after the statement closes.

Those of you who are enrolled, what kind of activity are you getting? I've been in it a month and a half and only one TL sold. They say the summer is slower, but do you ever get a lot of action?

See (lots of) earlier discussion in the thread on this.  :)  One tradeline of your two available slots isn't bad (remember, you'll only see orders right before the closing date, as they queue them up), unless you enrolled 10 cards or something.

Yes, it will pick up.  Give it a few months to evaluate, and (either way), keep in mind the amount of work, even if you only make a few extra thousand this year, hard to complain--most side-gigs don't make that, and take way more time.  :)

I've been thinking about this. I also work at a bank. The biggest risk I see (practically, and not considering the ethics) is the trade line's owner being tied to someone who has their loan go belly up down the road. For example, someone wants to get a mortgage and uses your credit. People also need to rely on personal credit for commercial loans, which can range in the millions of dollars. The AU game inflates their score from 650 to 750. They qualify based on that. They later go broke and someone does some digging and notices that person was attached to another account. The lending institution sues you because it caused them to grant a loan when they normally wouldn't. It's a little far fetched, but seems in the realm. Probably very unlikely to happen, nonetheless.

The essential question that would be nice to know is: when the bank or whoever pulls a credit report, is the trade line owner's information also attached to the account? Is it just the card number or only part of the card number? You could obviously trace with a full card number. I just wonder if the company utilizing the information would be able to tie that back to someone. Even assuming that "worst case" scenario, it's hard to imagine how a lawsuit could be developed "with the intent to defraud" from a trade line seller. Of course I'm filling out my paperwork now so maybe I'm biased.

I need to remember to look at a credit report this week and see if there's any identifiable information on it.

Yes, I see your point.  No, the entire account number is not listed on the credit report. The address can be.  There's no intent to defraud, IMO.  If they store credit reports, and they look back at it (I can't even imagine this part of the scenario as plausible), they'll see the person as an authorized user on a card.  What does that tell them?  They are an authorized user on that card, or legally were at the time the credit was pulled.  Maybe they'd have a case arguing FICO scores (that allowed a boost via an AU) are misleading, but again, don't see how that'd affect you.  IDK, it all seems like a crazy stretch to happen, and even if it happened, not worrisome to me.  Of course, like I mentioned before, everyone has their own levels of worry, and if this seems like something that's not only plausible to you, but makes sense if it happened, don't sell your tradelines.  :)

As a poor car analogy: I also wouldn't have a problem renting out my car to people. Someone might say "a bank robber is more likely to rent a car than use their own, so what if you get arrested for facilitating bank robbery?"  I would say that 1) It's super unlikely to happen (that one of the people renting my car for a day robs a bank), and 2) Even if it did, I had no intent to rob banks, or know about their plans to do so.

So in the super unlikely event it did happen (fraud), and someone looked at me, I have no intent or connection to that crime other than incidental.  YMMV, but that's how I view it.  :)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: August 27, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »

Yes, after the statement closes.

Thanks ARS!  I was curious because I added myself to a card of my wife's to complete some spend and it took quite a while to show up on my credit report.  Given that reporting takes 30 days and statements take ~30 days, I suppose it makes sense.  Just got me thinking about how all of this works..

A few folks have asked about activity.  I received my first order last night.  I signed up end of July, so I think that's pretty good!

NathanDrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: August 27, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »
Yes, I see your point.  No, the entire account number is not listed on the credit report. The address can be.  There's no intent to defraud, IMO. If they store credit reports, and they look back at it (I can't even imagine this part of the scenario as plausible), they'll see the person as an authorized user on a card.  What does that tell them?  They are an authorized user on that card, or legally were at the time the credit was pulled.  Maybe they'd have a case arguing FICO scores (that allowed a boost via an AU) are misleading, but again, don't see how that'd affect you.  IDK, it all seems like a crazy stretch to happen, and even if it happened, not worrisome to me.  Of course, like I mentioned before, everyone has their own levels of worry, and if this seems like something that's not only plausible to you, but makes sense if it happened, don't sell your tradelines.  :)

As a poor car analogy: I also wouldn't have a problem renting out my car to people. Someone might say "a bank robber is more likely to rent a car than use their own, so what if you get arrested for facilitating bank robbery?"  I would say that 1) It's super unlikely to happen (that one of the people renting my car for a day robs a bank), and 2) Even if it did, I had no intent to rob banks, or know about their plans to do so.

So in the super unlikely event it did happen (fraud), and someone looked at me, I have no intent or connection to that crime other than incidental.  YMMV, but that's how I view it.  :)

How is there no intent to defraud?

On a fundamental level, there's little difference between this and much of the fraudulent activities that went on during the 2008 financial crisis. By virtue of you helping someone artificially boost their credit score, you are effectively deceiving lenders that set terms based upon risk profiles. Pricing of risk costs money, and by allowing someone to deceive a lender you are illegally obtaining (or reducing income) from that lender via deception. That's the definition of defraud.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2016, 08:41:49 AM »
It's not an artificial boost of credit score. The banks explicitly wanted the Authorized User method left in the FICO scoring.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #316 on: August 28, 2016, 05:27:59 PM »
I've got a discover card from 1997 with an upper limit of $7,000

I called and asked them to raise it and they bumped it all the way to $7,500

I haven't used this card in a while and have a credit score over 815

1) is it of any use for this at only $7,500?

2) if I haven't used it in a couple of years, does it help to start using it again?  It shows up on my credit report

3) can I raise the limit over time and if so, how long would y'all think that will take me?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »

2) if I haven't used it in a couple of years, does it help to start using it again?  It shows up on my credit report

3) can I raise the limit over time and if so, how long would y'all think that will take me?

I'm in the same boat with Discover, though I started much lower and ended up slightly lower. I suggest starting to use the card more. Current rotating category is Amazon & Home Improvement.

If the card isn't getting used, Discover doesn't have much reason to raise your limit.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
Yup, unless the account itself changes (not just the card type), it should all be based off the original open date (even if downgrading or reopening).

Let us know if you have success getting cards reopened, MJ.  I'm quite curious about the rate people have success reopening cards (especially based on the reason they were closed, and how long they'd been closed).  :)

regarding reopening cards....I called barclay to try and reopen a card that I had closed several years ago.  No luck...she said "let me see if I can reopen that for you" and then came back and said it wasn't possible to reopen it.  Perhaps because it was a US Airways card through Barclay and US Airways merged with American Airlines. And American Airlines cards are now issued through Citi I believe.  Anyway, that's been my experience with trying to reopen an old credit card. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »

Heh, a $500 bump, that's a bummer.  :)

As far as question 1, no, for tradeline sales, it needs to be at least 10k limit--below that just doesn't help the AU enough.  For two, definitely.. use it for a few months, then ask for another bump.

regarding reopening cards....I called barclay to try and reopen a card that I had closed several years ago.  No luck...she said "let me see if I can reopen that for you" and then came back and said it wasn't possible to reopen it.  Perhaps because it was a US Airways card through Barclay and US Airways merged with American Airlines. And American Airlines cards are now issued through Citi I believe.  Anyway, that's been my experience with trying to reopen an old credit card. 

Good to know.  She at least tried, so that indicates to me that it could be possible to open cards that had been closed for awhile (it wasn't like she immediately said "oh, that's been closed longer than 6 months, can't do it" or something).  I have the US Airways card, which converted to a American Airlines card, wouldn't surprise me if your reasoning is correct (can't reopen because that card doesn't exist anymore).

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2016, 05:54:34 PM »
Yeah I had to laugh at the $500 bump. I was like that is for nothing. My chase card is $25,000

Is B of A usable ir did that issue never get resolved?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
Yeah I had to laugh at the $500 bump. I was like that is for nothing. My chase card is $25,000

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread applying for a new card with a provider and then transferring the credit off of it.  I'm planning to do this--CCs apparently only want to bump me a few thousand, but will issue me new credit for 15-20k (sometimes 30k+!).  So for a Discover I have at 12k IIRC (that they bumped up from 10), I'm thinking I might sign up for a new card that should get at least 10-15k limit, then move most of that credit onto the older card.  Worth thinking about.

Is B of A usable ir did that issue never get resolved?

They are not accepting new B of A cards right now.. I'm not sure if the posting issue got resolved with the cards already enrolled--I don't believe so, and I don't think many B of A slots are selling right now (a bummer for me--we have 3, two at 20k+, one at 45k+).

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2016, 06:38:58 PM »

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread applying for a new card with a provider and then transferring the credit off of it.  I'm planning to do this--CCs apparently only want to bump me a few thousand, but will issue me new credit for 15-20k (sometimes 30k+!).  So for a Discover I have at 12k IIRC (that they bumped up from 10), I'm thinking I might sign up for a new card that should get at least 10-15k limit, then move most of that credit onto the older card.  Worth thinking about.

I tried a few times with Discover to do that, under the theory of "try different CSRs" - they flat out refuse to move credit between cards.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »

The last time I applied for a Discover card, at the time I already had an older Discover, and they called me before approving the new card to tell me that in order to open the new line, they had to close my old line. They seemed to only want to allow me to have a limited amount of credit with them, so I'm not sure if your plan will work. Maybe you'll have better luck getting a 2nd line approved than I did.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »
I tried a few times with Discover to do that, under the theory of "try different CSRs" - they flat out refuse to move credit between cards.

The last time I applied for a Discover card, at the time I already had an older Discover, and they called me before approving the new card to tell me that in order to open the new line, they had to close my old line. They seemed to only want to allow me to have a limited amount of credit with them, so I'm not sure if your plan will work. Maybe you'll have better luck getting a 2nd line approved than I did.

Ah, really good to know.  Thanks guys.

I was going on this from earlier in the thread:

IDK which other companies do that.

All of the main ones (Chase, Citi, Discover, Capital One, etc.) reallocate.

So that's a no on that plan with Discover.  Will have to research into reallocation with Citi, Capital One, and Barclay (I know Chase and B of A do, because I did with them already).

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2016, 11:07:40 PM »
What's the fear w chase?  I have one 2 years old w $25k

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #326 on: August 28, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »
What's the fear w chase?  I have one 2 years old w $25k

If Chase decides to shut you down, they shut down all your accounts with them, and won't let you open new ones; they basically blackball you.  I don't know if this is permanent, or if they'll reconsider after a year or two, but I wouldn't want to try and find out.  :)

The other CC companies, if they decide to shut you down, will only close that one card.  No big deal.

To me, not worth the risk, at the moment, though I'm still considering.  I have 400k+ Ultimate rewards points sitting unused (and we'll likely each grab the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card, for another 200k points)--if I use all those up, and go way past the 5/24 rule so I won't be getting more Chase cards for at least a few years, I'd probably start to sell some Chase tradelines again.  It is worth a good chunk of cash.  The tradeline company has more Chase safeguards in place to help prevent shutdown (only 2 AU slots max, and sell the lines for 3 months instead of 1 or 2) for previously enrolled cards, but they aren't accepting new Chase cards at the moment, from what I understand.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #327 on: August 29, 2016, 03:15:21 AM »
I just added my first authorized user. It's to our Bank of America cc. I realize it might not report out properly, but I figure it's worth a try for approx 3 minutes of work. We'll see how it goes.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #328 on: August 29, 2016, 03:17:15 AM »
I just added my first authorized user. It's to our Bank of America cc. I realize it might not report out properly, but I figure it's worth a try for approx 3 minutes of work. We'll see how it goes.

I haven't gotten any B of A orders in awhile, so I wasn't sure if they were still doing them, but if you just got a new order, apparently they are.  That's good news.  :)

The worst part is waiting a month to see if everything posts correctly (from what I understand, it does 90%+ of the time, so no need to worry, but just the first few months you do it, you're curious).  ;)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #329 on: August 29, 2016, 04:51:56 AM »
I'm considering adding my capital one card to the mix. my cards all seem to be the kind with limits as to # of users or extended periods of time for each trade line. Remedy: add another card.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:53:38 AM by Malaysia41 »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: August 29, 2016, 06:08:51 AM »
all my orders are BofA just got first add on my second card.  still nothing on chase but i'm ok with taht as i dont know if i want those accounts closed.  that chase card will likely be removed when i add my citi cards this winter.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #331 on: August 29, 2016, 09:21:16 AM »

Ah, really good to know.  Thanks guys.

I was going on this from earlier in the thread:

IDK which other companies do that.

All of the main ones (Chase, Citi, Discover, Capital One, etc.) reallocate.

So that's a no on that plan with Discover.  Will have to research into reallocation with Citi, Capital One, and Barclay (I know Chase and B of A do, because I did with them already).

Contacted Citi to see if they would reallocate. Customer service operator said, "no." There are a few nonMMM threads out there that suggest it is possible if you go to their supervisor's supervisor - but those threads are at least 3 years old. I recently requested a limit increase from them (and was rejected; 2 cards Citi cards sitting at $9k - argh.), so I didn't push it. But will probably try again in a month.

Would love to hear if someone finds out a way to have Citi reallocate credit limits from other Citi cards.

Parkingmeter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: August 29, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
I've reallocated with Citi but I believe it requires a hard pull.  I managed this by doing it the same day as signing up for a new cc with them and the hard pulls merged.

Generally for stuff like this I search Doc's website: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rules-for-reallocating-your-credit-limit-with-each-credit-card-issuer/

On mobile, apologies for poor formatting.

Belief10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #333 on: August 29, 2016, 12:00:08 PM »
Apparently US Bank does not have one close date per month on their lines, so I gave the next several through December which the customer service person could provide. I hope they can still use that one or I'll only have my Discover to use for this. Anyone use US Bank yet?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #334 on: August 29, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
Requesting a credit limit increase with USAA will result in a hard pull.  FYI.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #335 on: August 29, 2016, 02:33:02 PM »
have 3 adds of a total possible of 6 in the first 2 months.  not too bad ... considering its 700 free dollars. (minus taxes)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: August 29, 2016, 04:45:33 PM »
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: August 29, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
Apparently US Bank does not have one close date per month on their lines, so I gave the next several through December which the customer service person could provide. I hope they can still use that one or I'll only have my Discover to use for this. Anyone use US Bank yet?

Yes, and they set the "close" date early due to the variation in US Bank. I successfully got my first order and added the AU last week.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: August 30, 2016, 05:57:32 AM »
hey ARS when you're on a two month system like BofA do you get paid after it posts the first month or do you have to wait til closer to removal.  ie i had an add on july 31 for a close date of aug 4 ... now sept 4 close will hit and it says i can remove them on october 1 when do i get paid.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #339 on: August 30, 2016, 07:10:05 AM »
Interesting fact from an AU add today - Citi Sears card, they were happy to add AU with just name/birthday, and seemed surprised when I said I had a social security number for them. Before taking the social security number they had me verify the 3 digit code on the back of the card and the year I became a card member.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: August 30, 2016, 11:14:42 AM »
I had a Capital One Venture that is 3 years old with $26,000 added in late July. No sales yet... (closes on 26th)

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #341 on: August 30, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Just curious- are anyone getting tradeline orders for cards that are relatively new (i.e. less than three years)

I've made three credit cards available- two of which are a little over two years old, and one of which is 8 years old.  The eight year old card got a tradeline order pretty quickly, but my other two haven't gotten any.  So, i'm guessing these two other cards I have aren't all that attractive to customers.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #342 on: August 30, 2016, 01:24:09 PM »
have 3 adds of a total possible of 6 in the first 2 months.  not too bad ... considering its 700 free dollars. (minus taxes)

Nice.  I only count selling 50% of the tradelines in my projections (of course hoping for more).

hey ARS when you're on a two month system like BofA do you get paid after it posts the first month or do you have to wait til closer to removal.  ie i had an add on july 31 for a close date of aug 4 ... now sept 4 close will hit and it says i can remove them on october 1 when do i get paid.

They pay you the first month after it posts.  If it's on a longer cycle (2 months, 3 months for Chase), if you remove them at that point (i.e. early) they have to refund the client (who's paid for 2-3 months of the card on their credit report, and only got one month) and they will deduct the amount from your next paycheck.  So you do get the money right away once it's confirmed posted, but make sure not to remove the AU until the portal date says to, lest you owe it back.  :)

Interesting fact from an AU add today - Citi Sears card, they were happy to add AU with just name/birthday, and seemed surprised when I said I had a social security number for them. Before taking the social security number they had me verify the 3 digit code on the back of the card and the year I became a card member.

Weird.  From what I understand, with less info it's less likely to post to their credit report (not enough info on them to be able to do so, perhaps?), so giving them the extra info was a good idea--clearly they had a spot in their computer system to input that info, once you gave it to them.  Crossing my fingers it posts okay for you!

I had a Capital One Venture that is 3 years old with $26,000 added in late July. No sales yet... (closes on 26th)

I'm almost curious if cards with $10-20k sell more tradelines, as they cost the AUs less.  I had more sales on a few cards, then bumped them up to the 20k range, and haven't.  A bit premature to tell though, but something to monitor.  You get more for higher limit, obviously, but I'd rather get $225 and a more frequent sale than $252.50 and less frequent sales.  At this point, I won't be dropping any lines (and in fact, still trying to increase), but I'll keep an eye on it.  Thanks for the data point.  :)

Just curious- are anyone getting tradeline orders for cards that are relatively new (i.e. less than three years)

I've made three credit cards available- two of which are a little over two years old, and one of which is 8 years old.  The eight year old card got a tradeline order pretty quickly, but my other two haven't gotten any.  So, i'm guessing these two other cards I have aren't all that attractive to customers.

Yes.  The older cards get more activity, but I've had several orders on cards just over two years old (opened June 2014 and Aug 2014).  But my cards from 2003, 2006, etc. definitely see more activity, especially if in the same credit line range.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: August 30, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
my current thought on the 10-20k vs higher is that if you're towards the top of a level you're going to get more adds vs th bottom. 

ie my 19800 and 18800 cards are getting adds while my 20300 is not... would be interesting to see if the cards you're talking about were close to 30k or 20k.

nvm just got an AU add on my chase right after posting this.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:38:17 PM by boarder42 »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: August 30, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »
I'm interested in signing up, but I only have one card that qualifies right now. I also have a Barclaycard that (according to my credit report) was opened in September of 2014. Is that "old enough" as of Sept 2016, or October?

Also, does it matter that I already have an authorized user (husband) on the account? Does that "eat" a spot?

Thanks everyone for all the great information

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #345 on: August 30, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »
I'm interested in signing up, but I only have one card that qualifies right now. I also have a Barclaycard that (according to my credit report) was opened in September of 2014. Is that "old enough" as of Sept 2016, or October?

Also, does it matter that I already have an authorized user (husband) on the account? Does that "eat" a spot?

Yup, that will be old enough in two days.  Yes, your husband eats up an AU spot.  Let the tradeline company know (and probably remind if and when you increase the spots).  You may want to consider removing him, if there's no current reason for him to be on there.  You can always re-add him later, if you wish.  Or you can just have one less tradeline spot (but constantly have an extra user on there).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #346 on: August 31, 2016, 01:39:24 AM »
I asked if I could add my 2009 Capital One card in, as they let me add my BofA and Chase under the wire recently. Sadly, I received this email from Leslie:

We have made changes to the cards we're currently accepting, which is now only:

1. Barclaycard
2. Citi cards
3. Discover
4. PNC (2 AUs max)
5. USAA
6. U.S. Bank

It's okay though, I'd added my three kids to that Cap One card as AUs. I'll just leave them there.

Yeah, I'm really kicking myself for closing that mid-90s discover card. Doh.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:41:16 AM by Malaysia41 »

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #347 on: August 31, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »
I asked if I could add my 2009 Capital One card in, as they let me add my BofA and Chase under the wire recently. Sadly, I received this email from Leslie:

We have made changes to the cards we're currently accepting, which is now only:

1. Barclaycard
2. Citi cards
3. Discover
4. PNC (2 AUs max)
5. USAA
6. U.S. Bank

It's okay though, I'd added my three kids to that Cap One card as AUs. I'll just leave them there.

Yeah, I'm really kicking myself for closing that mid-90s discover card. Doh.

Hmm, but capital one cards that are currently in the system get to stay?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: August 31, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
yep if your card is in the system it gets to stay. unless they see a bunch of cards getting closed then they may just tell the investors its best not to use unless you want to get it closed. 

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #349 on: August 31, 2016, 10:02:50 AM »
Regarding Discover card limits....applying for a new card to transfer the credit line is a no go. I think it was said up-thread but I can confirm it.

Regarding re-opening a Citi card....Mine closed 4 months ago due to inactivity. I tried to reopen it last week and was told they cannot re-open it after 30 days.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!