Author Topic: Say it with me--I am not my countertops  (Read 20758 times)

Aelias

• Bristles
Say it with me--I am not my countertops
« on: December 29, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
Our old dishwasher is dying.  And to get out the old dishwasher, we'll need to pull off the old laminate countertop.  So we decided it was finally time for a new dishwasher and countertop.  Being earthy-crunchy types with a few dollars saved up, we prioritized a highly efficient dishwasher and countertops made of recycled glass.

The first recycled glass option that caught my eye was BioGlass.  It's very pretty, made of 100% recycled glass, and basically indestructible unless you're a total moron. We went to the showroom to take a look, and the first thing the lady told us was, "You know, it's expensive.  Like, really expensive."  (We must have looked particularly broke that day).  We're like, "Yeah, we know.  Just back of the napkin, about how much?"  Well, for about 20 sq ft. of countertop, we were looking at $8-10K.  And there was no warranty.

As a point of comparison, we went to Home Depot and took at look at their GEOS line of recycled glass countertops.  Lower recycled material content, but still acceptable.  Even with the fancy color I liked, it would come to around $3K.  And it never needs to be sealed.  And it comes with a 15 year warranty.

We had the money to spend, but obviously, that wasn't the point. Could I really justify that cost, knowing that even high-end granite would be about half that, and a perfectly good recycled option was $3K?  Would I feel bad that I settled every morning when I looked and my less-then countertop?  It was a long night of the frugal soul.

Thankfully, I got some sleep and came to my senses.  I had a severe case of Tiny Details Exaggeration Syndrome. I went downstairs this morning, and realized, "At the end of the day, it's just a countertop.  It's the place where I truss chickens and make bread and leave out my dishes sometimes. It's not going to change our lives and it sure as fuck is not a reflection of who I am as a person."

So, yeah, we're going with the GEOS.  It was the right choice.  It just took me a while to get there.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Say it with me--I am not my countertops
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »
It's not normal to have to remove the countertop to access a dishwasher, they usually screw in from the front, but if that's what you need to do it's a good time to replace the countertop.  From a frugality & environmental standpoint keeping the old countertop is best, but if that's not an option I'd say you made the next best decision. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »
My sister bought a “handyman special” house where the dishwasher was installed before the wood floor. Then of course they installed a granite countertop - and glued it on to the dishwasher.

Ain’t no way that thing’s coming out without some major problems.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »
Exactly--there's a 1/2" lip down from the wood floor to the base of the dishwasher.  We're reasonably handy, and we haven't been able to figure a way to extract the dishwasher without destroying the countertop.  I suppose we could pop up the floorboard directly in front of the dishwasher, wiggle it out, and then put the new one in with the floorboard lightly nailed into place.

I'm not really expecting a ticker tape parade on this board for spending $3K on a countertop, but I'm willing to bet others have been tempted by their own pretty shiny spendy things.  I was glad to have the clarity of mind to talk myself out of the ridiculous option, rather than just saying, "Screw it.  We can afford it."

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »
Wait a minute...you settled for the GEOS when you could have had the BioGlass? 
HAVE YOU NO STANDARDS?????

Those recycled glass countertops are beautiful! We recently remodeled our kitchen and chose granite. Now that we have granite, it's kind of "meh," not all that impressive. We chose what we chose because we absolutely loved one of the floor sample kitchens they had set up and pretty much modeled ours after it. Not complaining, don't get me wrong, but there are so many lovely options these days.

Congrats on making a wise and beautiful choice!

ETA: Since I just put myself out there as a non-mustachian kitchen remodeler, I feel the need to say that we did all of the labor ourselves for the remodel. So there's that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:42:47 PM by Miss Piggy »

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »
Miss Piggy--Thanks for the literal LOL!

Yeah, we congratulate ourselves for all the stuff we're not replacing.  But whoever flipped our house clearly put in the worst dishwasher on the market.  And we cook a ton, so there are a lot of dishes. 

Our next project is a totally DIY bathroom reno.  And hopefully a fireplace insert made by a family friend.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »
I recently had to replace my dishwasher and had a bitch of a time getting it out. I basically had to cut a strip out of the floorboard in front of it but after a lot of F-bombs, sweat etc..I got it. Kitchen had beautiful granite tops and wasn't going to spend the money to replace them. If it would of been laminate I would of ripped them out as well.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:07:35 PM »
Ha ha yes.  When we bought our old small house, it had tile countertops.  It's a galley-style.  The exterior wall had sink, lower counters, and upper cabinets on either side of the sink/ window.

The other wall had nothing.  Literally no cabinets, no appliances (prior owner took them).

So first we put in our fridge (that we owned) and bought a stove and had a plumber do the gas plumbing.  Then we had a table next to it.  Over the next several months, my spouse built cabinets (3 of them) to go around the fridge and stove.

The other side, with the sink, was unfortunately old enough that the cabinets were only 22" deep, and dishwashers are 24".  So we tore out the cabinets and put in a dishwasher and he built new cabinets.

We had plywood counters for a LONG time.  In the end, we decided on tile.  I love love granite.  But honestly?  It's an 1100 sf 2BR, 1BA house on a very small lot with no garage.  Granite, in our house, would be overkill.  He tiled it (it was still $1200 in tile!)  Done, the end.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 09:41:10 PM »
Well, thanks a lot.  Now I want these with the Patina background https://www.vetrazzo.com/product/cobalt-sky/?lang=en

Our kitchen was horrid when we moved in.  The previous owner had got his hands on the world's worst 6" greyish shiny wall tile and glued it right on to the old 1970's Formica, then used the same stuff as a backsplash without any sort of finishing edge, and nice wide grout lines to capture all the dirt.  I found some marble tile on clearance at Lowe's for about $1.60/sf, and then some  clearance 4" biscuit tile and a mosaic accent for the backsplash that set us back another $50.  Oak trim all the way around.  The idea was to do a "real" kitchen remodel after a few years, but it's going on eight years now, and I like it all just fine (and also cook a ton), and don't plan to change it any time soon.  The finish has worn off the marble in the heavier use areas, but it's not a big deal.  The faux stone stuff they put in the restroom counters at the office has worn more quickly than the marble tile.  Recycled glass countertops are on the list now though, if we ever do decide to gut this kitchen.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:51:54 PM »
Seriously what's with all the granite countertops? They are no longer a specialty since everybody has them. This was an argument I had with my realtor when I sold my last place.

I recently read an article about a woman whose mobile home got destroyed during Hurricane Irma in Southwest Florida. She went shopping for a new mobile home and realized they were unaffordable since they were all being built with these fancy kitchens and stuff. Don't builders realize they need to build for all tiers of the market?

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:30:25 AM »
Seriously what's with all the granite countertops? They are no longer a specialty since everybody has them.

How granite countertops became an American obsession

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »
Seriously what's with all the granite countertops? They are no longer a specialty since everybody has them.

I would love to see a similar article about how Americans were duped into converting to stainless steel appliances. But I digress.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »

I would love to see a similar article about how Americans were duped into converting to stainless steel appliances. But I digress.

+1  The feedback I got this summer at one point was that my house was great except for having black appliances.

Confession, I went ahead and did a complete remodel of my new to me home on my kitchen and baths.  (And all of the flooring).  I comfort myself that at least I got the employee deal on the kitchen and bath part, thanks cousin for the cost +10%.  Almost everything is done except for the backsplash.

HomeSweetLab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »

I thought I was the only one who hated the recent stainless steel appliance craze. IMO stainless steel makes a kitchen look cold and industrial and is a maddening fingerprint magnet. Maybe it's because I grew up with them, but white appliances always make a kitchen feel "homey" to me.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »
I love the subject line of this thread!  Makes me smile when I see it.

For the record, I live in a rental with no granite anything.  I've seen granite countertops in other people's homes and I think they look nice.   But I don't think I would want to pay for them. 

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
To the OP, I would take the opportunity while the countertop is off to pad the top up 1/2"or whatever you need to clear that dishwasher.  Use furniture grade plywood strips, glue and nail them, then put a small trim piece under the edge of the the countertop after installation. 

That way if you're unlucky and the new dishwasher fails, you won't be doing this again.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
I still smile when I look at my granite countertop in the morning. I.love.it:)
The designer and the frugalista warred with each other for a month.
The designer won, but the frugalista had her day too - standing in the rain in a huge yard filled with granite - yet to be cut at less than half the price:)
The designer didn't bat an eyelash standing in the rain either - I got to pick the exact part of the granite block that I wanted, the one that looked like a riverbed.
I'm still smitten:)

So I guess in a way I disagree - I am my countertop:). ... and the old dude with a cane that showed up to measure the surfaces, had some excellent ideas about including some fancy details for twenty bucks more - score:) It always pays off to be nice and engage in conversation with people who know their craft.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 01:23:03 PM »
I've always been a big laminate fan. It's heat resistant, stain resistant, soft on glassware, seamless and affordable. I know countertops can be daunting, but all you need is a <$100 laminate router, a sharp knife and some files and you can make as custom of a kitchen as you like. Many patterns now offer a pre-cut edgestrip to make it even easier. Just remember, edges first, then the surface ; )

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »

I despise stainless steel. But it came in the house and replacing working appliances with white seems a bit ridiculous.

Most upscale houses around here don't have granite anymore. Quartz, marble, poured concrete. Granite is so "builder grade"

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 05:26:50 AM »

I despise stainless steel. But it came in the house and replacing working appliances with white seems a bit ridiculous.

Most upscale houses around here don't have granite anymore. Quartz, marble, poured concrete. Granite is so "builder grade"

I didnt install the granite it was here when I bought the house. I am not the biggest fan of it but whats in our kitchen is simple and matches well so I dont want to replace what was probably 10k worth of overpriced granite. With that said If I was to do a new kitchen I really like how poured concrete tops have made there way overtime .  Love the look and now so many different things you can do to make it your own and original

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 06:53:51 AM »
I just wanted to say I literally lol'd at the topic title. Very Fight Club.  I like it.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »
And of course granite is seen as tacky and passé now that everyone has it. Time to tear out the granite and put in whatever’s next! (Sarcasm)

suzziesnow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »
I just had to laugh at your title! With the prospect of finishing a family farm house in the future I will be saying the same thing about everything from counter tops to flooring....

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 06:14:59 PM »
Glad I brought a smile to a few faces.  For me, it was a humbling reminder than I am most certainly not immune to the pull of lifestyle inflation and that it's possible to make the better choice.

On granite--I irrationally hate granite countertops.  Probably because everyone's doing it these days.  Our neighborhood is absolutely overrun with condo conversions and they ALL LOOK THE SAME!  It's like every developer went to Condos, Condos, Condos and bought the "Basic Condo Starter Kit" which includes granite countertops, hardwood floors, and stainless steel appliances.

I really love our white appliances.  They're bright and clean looking, they work with the white painted cabinets, and they don't fingerprint.  What's not to like?

I'm thinking Mexican painted tile accents for the bathroom, which are probably too "individual" to add to the resale value.  In fact, I'm pretty sure any decent realtor would tell us to pull them down and make it all gray.  But fuck it--we're not planning to move, and I like bright colors!

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »
We just finished a super-fancy house remodel, and I can so relate to your experience.  Just curious if you considered butcher-block or wood countertops?  That's what we ended up going with: hard-working, trendy but timeless, replaceable and maintainable (just sand and re-oil!), and environmentally friendly...and for us, somewhere between laminate and anything else, cost wise.  We LOVE ours.

We also looked at all the recycled glass, concrete, and other fancy "green" finishes that are uber-pricey, and in the end just tried to make a lot of choices that we could live with and would age gracefully/be maintainable for 25+ years.  Agreed that tearing out things every five to ten years just because the "look" isn't right anymore is the worst issue.

Hope you're thrilled with your new kitchen!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »

It's like we all want to live in 1999, forever.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 08:46:15 PM »
Our house came with new stainless appliances. The only way they look decent is if I wax and buff them. I hate them with the fire of a thousand suns, but am too cheap to replace them.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 08:19:24 AM »
We just finished a super-fancy house remodel, and I can so relate to your experience.  Just curious if you considered butcher-block or wood countertops?  That's what we ended up going with: hard-working, trendy but timeless, replaceable and maintainable (just sand and re-oil!), and environmentally friendly...and for us, somewhere between laminate and anything else, cost wise.  We LOVE ours.

Hmm.  Hadn't really considered butcher block, but maybe I should.  Was turned off by the maintenance, but it sounds like it's not actually that bad.  Thanks for the tip!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
I really really want those GEOS counter tops but we needed some in a hurry and on a really really cheap budget when we moved in so we have those pre-cut/formed laminate counter tops.  Now that those are down my environmental and my budget side refuses to let me replace them.  It is bad but I keep hoping that somebody will figure out a way to ruin them so that I can replace them without feeling guilty, we are going on 6 years with these ones and nobody has helped me out with this yet.

Roger D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »
You guys must be from a different planet than me!

When we renovated our kitchen, we put in Ikea laminated countertops at £10 per metre. This was 15 years ago, and they still look as good as the day they were installed. Stains come off easily, and there is no delamination or any other problem. 100% satisfied!

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
I am definitely my countertops.
For 15 years I was 70s-style, gold, formica laminate. Cheap, adequate.
Now I am partly warm butcher-block wood (the counters proper) and partly polished granite (like the kitchen island).
It's fun to be shiny, durable, with fascinating details created thousands of years ago in the fires of tectonic  . . . something.

Glad to have waited until the stash accumulated to burst out of the formica cocoon, though.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 04:10:58 PM »
Our house came with new stainless appliances. The only way they look decent is if I wax and buff them. I hate them with the fire of a thousand suns, but am too cheap to replace them.

Same here.

I commented on your journal about this too. I have no place to put my great collection of travel-acquired magnets with my stainless steel refrigerator. :-(

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
I really really want those GEOS counter tops but we needed some in a hurry and on a really really cheap budget when we moved in so we have those pre-cut/formed laminate counter tops.  Now that those are down my environmental and my budget side refuses to let me replace them.  It is bad but I keep hoping that somebody will figure out a way to ruin them so that I can replace them without feeling guilty, we are going on 6 years with these ones and nobody has helped me out with this yet.

Accidentally spilling hot grease on them should take care of it for you.  ;)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »

Hit the nail on the head with this statement.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 06:15:10 PM »
Seriously what's with all the granite countertops? They are no longer a specialty since everybody has them. This was an argument I had with my realtor when I sold my last place.

I recently read an article about a woman whose mobile home got destroyed during Hurricane Irma in Southwest Florida. She went shopping for a new mobile home and realized they were unaffordable since they were all being built with these fancy kitchens and stuff. Don't builders realize they need to build for all tiers of the market?
I think they are pretty!

risky4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »

Confession, I went ahead and did a complete remodel of my new to me home on my kitchen and baths.  (And all of the flooring).  I comfort myself that at least I got the employee deal on the kitchen and bath part, thanks cousin for the cost +10%.  Almost everything is done except for the backsplash.

Well, you have done the two most expensive(and hard work) rooms in the house..the rest will be a breeze! Congrats on all the work.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 06:45:54 PM »

I think they are pretty!

I used to like them, until they started appearing everywhere. And when I sold my house my realtor said some lady came in to look at the house and looked at the kitchen and bathrooms, which were in excellent shape with new white appliances, and wanted me to reduce the asking price by $100k because she would have to redo all of the bathrooms and kitchen. My realtor was trying to get me to reduce my asking price because of this comment. I think she just wanted to move the inventory faster. I said no...someone would like the kitchen and bathrooms.

I am happy that the couple that ended up buying my house said they liked the kitchen and bathrooms.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »
My kitchen is poorly laid out (stove and fridge are right next to each other - smart thinking there). Cabinets were painted black, and they did a crappy job. Drips all over bad. The ugly granite look laminate counters. Pergo that wasn't properly installed, over laminate I think.

I would love to rip it all out, redesign the layout so the stove doesn't prematurely kill the fridge, and get rid of the damn Pergo. It is very far down the priority list. But granite will not be making an appearance when (if) I do.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »

I think they are pretty!

I used to like them, until they started appearing everywhere. And when I sold my house my realtor said some lady came in to look at the house and looked at the kitchen and bathrooms, which were in excellent shape with new white appliances, and wanted me to reduce the asking price by $100k because she would have to redo all of the bathrooms and kitchen. My realtor was trying to get me to reduce my asking price because of this comment. I think she just wanted to move the inventory faster. I said no...someone would like the kitchen and bathrooms.

I am happy that the couple that ended up buying my house said they liked the kitchen and bathrooms.
I am glad I stopped watching home improvement shows.  They just make you want to tear out perfectly functional things.

Why would you do that? I have friends who bought a house years ago, built in the 70s, still with yellow laminate counters.  And my first thought was "rip those out!"  They didn't, and you know, they've grown on me.  And they are in good condition and functional.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »
My kitchen is poorly laid out (stove and fridge are right next to each other - smart thinking there). Cabinets were painted black, and they did a crappy job. Drips all over bad. The ugly granite look laminate counters. Pergo that wasn't properly installed, over laminate I think.

I would love to rip it all out, redesign the layout so the stove doesn't prematurely kill the fridge, and get rid of the damn Pergo. It is very far down the priority list. But granite will not be making an appearance when (if) I do.
This seemed to be common at one point.  I've toured a LOT of small homes built in the 1920's and 1940s, and the # of homes with fridge and stove next to each other, with no countertop, is staggering.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
I'm laughing inside at the people who used to like granite countertops until they started appearing everywhere and now don't like them. Meanwhile, these same people probably drive boring commuter cars that everyone else has...and can't possibly comprehend why people drive impractical sports cars (that cost more money and provide the same basic function).

The irony is amusing.

I love the granite/stainless in my house. Doesn't matter to me if a million other people have it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 07:59:57 AM »

This seemed to be common at one point.  I've toured a LOT of small homes built in the 1920's and 1940s, and the # of homes with fridge and stove next to each other, with no countertop, is staggering.

House was built 1919. My main objection to the layout is that the oven stresses the fridge. Cabinets I could strip and repaint, floor I could replace, etc. But I can't fix the oven/fridge problem without a full gut.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 09:17:20 AM »

Hit the nail on the head with this statement.

This is why I have mismatching appliances now.  Stainless range and fridge, black stainless dishwasher.  While the dishwasher hadn't completely broken, there was enough wrong with it that I justified it's replacement when it was pulled for the rest of the renovation anyway.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »
Uh oh, I think I am partly my counter tops.

TheHusbandHalf and I bought a 1915 house from the original owner, in 1980. We have been working on it ever since. My Dad did a lot, our kids grew up here. We finally remodeled the kitchen in the spring and it included quartz counter tops.

Why quartz? Our cabinetmaker recommended Cambria quartz, and after doing a bit of research, we were happy to buy from a company based here in the US. The cabinetmaker lives just over the soybean field. 7 of his employees are family, the shop was started by his Dad back in 1983.

We take 'buying locally when possible' very seriously. Cambria follows OSHA rules. (I heard too many horror stories of workers in other companies, in other countries.)

This house, and working on it has brought us so  close together. We are partly our house.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 10:18:50 PM »
Before I had my baby my job was helping people select their countertops (and other kitchen/bathroom elements).

I can confirm that people are their countertops. It is apparently the single most important decision in building a house.  I witnessed a middle aged woman throw a tantrum because she couldn’t find a quartz top with enough sparkle in it and another confess to me that she was terrified of making the wrong choice because everyone in her book club might talk about it behind her back (I suggested that book club was not for her).

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 04:05:40 AM »
This thread is timely because we are planning to gut and reno our 40+ year old bathroom and kitchen in about 6 months. Endless decisions await us.

Before I had my baby my job was helping people select their countertops (and other kitchen/bathroom elements).

I can confirm that people are their countertops. It is apparently the single most important decision in building a house.  I witnessed a middle aged woman throw a tantrum because she couldn’t find a quartz top with enough sparkle in it and another confess to me that she was terrified of making the wrong choice because everyone in her book club might talk about it behind her back (I suggested that book club was not for her).

Oh. Wow.

My actual plan for choosing a countertop is looking at what my friend chose for her kitchen (a white composite stone) and finding something vaguely similar. Not in a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses way, but more, she chose something that we like the look of, that's one less decision to make.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2018, 06:15:31 AM »

I thought I was the only one who hated the recent stainless steel appliance craze. IMO stainless steel makes a kitchen look cold and industrial and is a maddening fingerprint magnet. Maybe it's because I grew up with them, but white appliances always make a kitchen feel "homey" to me.

Same.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2018, 06:49:18 AM »
I'm going to redo our countertops this year. I've put it off for a decade.  I cook all the time and our current set up is freaking floor tiles - on the counter - like the same exact tile that is on the floor is my countertop.  I loathe them, but I valued $6k more. Until now. I've been saving in a kitchen/hone savings account, and by golly, I'm finally going to do it.
After research, I really want quartz. It's more durable than granite. I also am planning a new backsplash but I do.not.want white subway. Because I'm special. Even though I'm in a contractor grade house, I want nice unique finishes, dammit. It seems ridiculous to spend more since it's not a fancy house, but I am my countertops. I figure any upgrade we do is justified since we never eat out. I make everything I can from scratch and cooking is a big part of my identity.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2018, 07:16:32 AM »
I am definitely my countertops.
For 15 years I was 70s-style, gold, formica laminate. Cheap, adequate.
Now I am partly warm butcher-block wood (the counters proper) and partly polished granite (like the kitchen island).
It's fun to be shiny, durable, with fascinating details created thousands of years ago in the fires of tectonic  . . . something.

Glad to have waited until the stash accumulated to burst out of the formica cocoon, though.

I adore granite because I am a bit of a geology nerd (cooking/eating on an ancient rock that was created inside a volcano, yes please), and it's very pretty. My apartment has granite, and I'll miss it when I move if the new place doesn't have it. That said, there are a lot of very ugly/boring granites out there.

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2018, 09:13:47 AM »
I really love our white appliances.  They're bright and clean looking, they work with the white painted cabinets, and they don't fingerprint.  What's not to like?

I am SO with you on the white appliances! We put white appliances in our last house. They were less expensive than stainless and showed no grime (that's HUGE, I tell you!). Our current apartment has a stainless fridge and a black stove. They are the bane of my existence. They *always* look filthy. We also have granite countertops. I don't know if it is just me being a butterfingers but I have broken so many glasses and mugs on that stupid countertop because it is so hard. The laminate countertops at our old place were pretty ugly, but I never broke anything on them. :)

I haven't seen the recycled glass countertops yet, but when we talked about replacing our old ones I was leaning towards stainless. I loved the look and the practicality.