Author Topic: Spending!  (Read 3211 times)

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Spending!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 11:32:58 PM »
Have to admit, I don't feel guilty about what I spend.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 01:35:17 AM by Chris Pascale »

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 04:21:59 PM »
That - as an American - was a wild read. I definitely grew up with & still live within a society that celebrates MMM's proverbial "exploding volcano of wastefulness," the more extravagant the better. I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who talked up their own frugality. Certainly the other extreme must exist, but I have to rein in my kneejerk skepticism at such an article.

Also, the mere thought of five custard apples (Annona squamosa) for less than $3 nearly brought me to weep. I miss them so much but they're unavailable here for less than several hundred dollars, due to need for expedited shipping. I'd love to grow a tree but it would require a greenhouse.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 09:40:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing!

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 09:34:57 PM »
I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who talked up their own frugality.

Funny you say this because I've experienced people seeming uncomfortable when I did. An exception is a cousin who will brag if he refurbished a table, or got a treadmill for free.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »
I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who talked up their own frugality.
Funny you say this because I've experienced people seeming uncomfortable when I did. An exception is a cousin who will brag if he refurbished a table, or got a treadmill for free.
I've been that person - if someone compliments something I got a good deal on I'll reflexively say so, unless I'm trying not to, as that's part of my enjoyment of the thing. The only circles with a history of responding badly when I've done so are almost always new rich who are persuaded that spending loads on everything is the whole point (& singular marker) of being wealthy - that is, people I don't really care to have much further conversation with. Anecdata, but from what I've experienced, old money & middle-class down both tend to want to swap triumphs in that realm, even if for the former it's just a bonus with no impact on consumption patterns.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 12:27:54 PM »

I got 4 treadmills for free in the last couple of years!..:)

I use the variable speed drives/motors to upgrade my cheap single speed machine tools to vary speed. Lots of steel in treadmills too for welding projects!

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 12:19:48 AM »

I wouldn't say I would brag, but I have no problem sharing how I got a deal on an item.  I remember being asked where I purchased a particular dress watch by a colleague. I had no problem sharing that I paid a fraction of the cost for it in a pawn shop. 

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 10:33:57 AM »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 11:08:07 AM »

My Dad's favorite word is "parsimonious." One of his retirement hobbies is making bird feeders and houses out of free pallet wood.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 01:21:31 PM »
That - as an American - was a wild read. I definitely grew up with & still live within a society that celebrates MMM's proverbial "exploding volcano of wastefulness," the more extravagant the better. I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who talked up their own frugality. Certainly the other extreme must exist, but I have to rein in my kneejerk skepticism at such an article.

Also, the mere thought of five custard apples (Annona squamosa) for less than $3 nearly brought me to weep. I miss them so much but they're unavailable here for less than several hundred dollars, due to need for expedited shipping. I'd love to grow a tree but it would require a greenhouse.

You could try pots: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-sugar-apples-containers-66273.html
Seems some have had success outdoors in Mission, Tx and Houston, TX
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57879/#b

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!