Author Topic: Saving 101% of My Paycheck  (Read 2524 times)

foghorn

• Stubble
Saving 101% of My Paycheck
« on: May 29, 2021, 02:49:29 PM »
Each month I update my Net Worth Spreadsheet. 

As part of this exercise I have a separate Column that I call my "FU Fund".  This is everything that is NOT tax advantaged (so - no IRA, 401k, HSA, etc. here).  The FU Fund is Cash, CD's, Bonds, Brokerage Account, etc.  I think of it as the money I could tap to pay bills when I say FU to my job - or - they say FU to me.

Today I looked back over the past 5 years and realized that the FU Fund has been growing faster than my take home pay from my job.  I am essentially putting away 101% of my paycheck. 

The FU Fund has interest, dividends, capital gains, etc. that are more than my monthly bills - so the entire paycheck gets banked, plus a few more dollars.

Thank you for letting me brag a bit.  I have no one I can tell this to.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Saving 101% of My Paycheck
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 03:53:45 PM »
Investment gains aren't typically considered "savings" but that is a pretty cool milestone (investment accounts growing faster than income).

hounton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 04:08:01 PM »
Congratulations!  I love the idea of this kind of fund. 

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 07:18:31 PM »
The FU Fund has interest, dividends, capital gains, etc. that are more than my monthly bills - so the entire paycheck gets banked, plus a few more dollars.

When this happens after-tax reliably including independent health care premiums, we call that FIRE!   When you reduce lifestyle to increase the delta between the 2 amounts, we could call that FIRE-style!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!