Author Topic: Saved around 300 euro on summer camp lunches so far  (Read 2217 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Saved around 300 euro on summer camp lunches so far
« on: August 03, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
I'm very proud of myself because I've been sending packed lunches for my kids to summer camp all summer long and so far I've saved around Euro 300.  Lunches at summer camp cost Euro 5 per day and since I have 2 kids that's 10 euros a day so it adds up fast.  I got the kids small thermoses so I've been cooking up either pasta or rice to put in there every day and sometimes I've sent sandwiches instead.  I've bought their favorite sandwich and pasta toppings and also other treats like cookies, yoghurt tubs and juice boxes.  Even with all this it's still way cheaper to send the packed lunches and the kids prefer my lunches to the bought lunches anyway.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Saved around 300 euro on summer camp lunches so far
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
Nice! We've always packed lunches for camps & schools, but there is one camp the kids attend that has a free lunch. And, such bliss not to have to pack. :)  Our kids get a small budget (like, $50 for the school year) to spend on hot lunches & any purchased items. Once it runs out, they have to fund with their own money.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Saved around 300 euro on summer camp lunches so far
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 06:28:27 AM »
Unfortunately, during the school year here the kids have to eat the school lunches.  They are not free but based on a sliding income scale so it's free for very poor kids but costs something for most kids.  We pay around Euro 3.50 per day per kid.  I guess it's not bad considering that we don't have to worry about packing lunches apart from during summer.