Author Topic: Saved 100's by installing Linux  (Read 4987 times)

LatteLaura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Saved 100's by installing Linux
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
 So my laptop had a stubborn virus and after trying everything to get rid of it, hubby had to reformat the computer.  Come to find that the Windows key was expired.  Instead of buying Windows or a new computer, he installed Linux.  It's only been a day, but so far so good!  It is running so fast!  Hopefully this will be a good long-term solution.  Anyone else use Linux?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Re: Saved 100's by installing Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
I have used it in the past and loved it. I had to use it from the command line. Do you use a GUI?

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
We run Mint LTS and I also have a Fedora installation.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
I'm about to give XP the boot at some point on my netbook (vintage 2009, 1.6ghz Atom, 1GB RAM) and throw Linux on it, but I'm still thinking about what flavor to use.  I've used it in the past and it's worked great.  My file server is running unRaid, which is a powerful Linux-based NAS OS.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
The nice part about Linux is that a PC that is too slow to run Windoze will run efficiently on Linux.

LibreOffice is a great replacement for Office . I just use it lightly, so your mileage may vary.

Browser wise, I use the chrome browser, which is great.

I have been using some version of Unix, so I find it easy. 

LatteLaura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
oldtoyota:  He installed Linux Mint 15- Olivia (64 bit version) and I'm really enjoying it.   I'm not the official techie of the family, so command line made me remember my first computer.  It was a 286 and my favorite game was Castle Adventure.  Ah, the memories.

Dodge

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:19:25 PM »
So my laptop had a stubborn virus and after trying everything to get rid of it, hubby had to reformat the computer.  Come to find that the Windows key was expired.  Instead of buying Windows or a new computer, he installed Linux.  It's only been a day, but so far so good!  It is running so fast!  Hopefully this will be a good long-term solution.  Anyone else use Linux?

I used Linux, Ubuntu specifically, as my main OS for many years.  A bunch of small bugs, and lack of good hardware support eventually led me to a MacBook, but I still sometimes miss my Ubuntu days, and always keep a Ubuntu Virtual Machine for those times I need something Linux specific.

The vast majority of computer users should be just fine with Linux over the long-term, especially if you pretty much just use the browser and a few other basic apps, but it definitely helps that you have a techie in-house. 

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 06:56:10 AM »
I use it, currently on Ubuntu. Have set up Mint for friends. Used to have Fedora and a couple of others which I don't remember the names.

My only complaint is I can't get Linux to run videos well in higher def modes or full screen. Other than that I like the security and speed.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »
I've used Linux exclusively for the last 10 years or so, mostly (and currently) Fedora. Welcome! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The biggest problem I've had with using Linux is trying to watch Netflix or similar, but now the Pipelight project has made that possible. The installation instructions for Mint should be the same or extremely similar to the instructions for Ubuntu, see here if you're interested: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipelight-use-silverlight-in-your-linux.html

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

LatteLaura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:21:34 AM »
Thanks for the responses - I'm sure there will be bumps in the road.   It feels great to get out of the sucky Windows system!

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 07:12:36 AM »
I've been running Ubuntu on a 11 year old laptop for my DJ services for quite a while.  Love it.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »
I got windows 8 pro from my university for $20.

I'm a gamer, and use other engineering software, so Linux is a no go.

Doomspark

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
I use Windoze at work because it's required.  I use Linux at home because it's what I love.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »
I use windows at simply because I play computer games and a number of them have compatibility issues with Linux.  Otherwise I would use Linux as my OS at home.

Aside from industry specific software (e.g. okashira's engineering programs) and some compatibility issues with open/libre office and microsoft issues I see no real reason to use Windows except for gaming.