Author Topic: Round The World Free for Family of Four.  (Read 3986 times)

malacca

• Bristles
Round The World Free for Family of Four.
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:51:48 AM »
By opening new credit cards, charging everything possible, etc. we earn enough to fly around the world once every 18 months for our family of four.

Also have a bunch of free hotel nights (but not enough for a long trip).

One of my business does charge a lot every month so we get more points than our personal spending would allow.

Of course we always pay off the balance - never paid a dime in interest.

We are FIRE so have time to travel. That was always a gotcha before - have time but no money - or have money but no time.

givemesunshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Round The World Free for Family of Four.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:17:27 AM »
I do similar and have enough points to do a RTW in Business every year. I usually just take a detour on the way to Europe but it's still a great trip! I do have to pay taxes on top of the points redemption so it does cost me ~$1000 (unavoidable down under).

Enjoy your holidays!

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:32:03 AM »
By opening new credit cards, charging everything possible, etc. we earn enough to fly around the world once every 18 months for our family of four.

Also have a bunch of free hotel nights (but not enough for a long trip).

One of my business does charge a lot every month so we get more points than our personal spending would allow.

Of course we always pay off the balance - never paid a dime in interest.

We are FIRE so have time to travel. That was always a gotcha before - have time but no money - or have money but no time.
Which cards do you recommend.  Right now I just earned bonus from Chase Sapphire and IHG (both me and my husband) and I'm looking for another card to open.  Any recommendations?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:43:00 AM »
How many total miles are you all using for a RTW trip?  I haven't attempted anything of that magnitude yet, but my mileage balance does keep growing.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 06:18:33 AM »
You have to churn cards. Many cards offer huge mileage bonuses. Sign up. Meet spending requirements. Cheuck in drawer. Next.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 05:32:00 AM »
How many total miles are you all using for a RTW trip?  I haven't attempted anything of that magnitude yet, but my mileage balance does keep growing.

Anyone?  I know AA got rid of their RTW awards a few years back.  Are you booking a "Round the World" award from an airline or just booking individual flights that take you around the world?  If so, how many miles does this require?

Kole with a K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:26 PM »

Anyone?  I know AA got rid of their RTW awards a few years back.  Are you booking a "Round the World" award from an airline or just booking individual flights that take you around the world?  If so, how many miles does this require?

This page (from MMM) has a list of cards good for Travel, Hotel Nights, and Cash Back depending on what you're looking for.

https://www.cardratings.com/advisors/mrmoneymustache?SRC=636824

Hope it helps.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
No, that does not answer my question.  All I want to know is how many miles people are using for a round the world trip.  I do not need a link to a list of credit cards.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:29:36 PM by kpd905 »

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:06:07 AM »
How many miles? It depends. There are ROW tickets in themselves. But I just book one way flights for the long hauls. In Asia local flight are very cheap - $20 or $30.

USA to Asia is 30K to 60K depending on airline and time of year.

Asia to Europe is similar pricing but harder to find seats on US airlines.

It takes about 120K to go around if timing is good.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 09:26:45 PM »
Aeroplan (Air Canada) lets you build stopovers into long-haul trips that can give you a "mini round the world" trip for 75-80K points per person (economy) or about 150-155K per person (business class). Two years back we did Toronto-Lyon-Istanbul-Bangkok-Hong Kong-Osaka-Vancouver-Calgary-Toronto (the only long stopovers were in Lyon, HK, and Osaka). Then, as Malacca suggests, you can build in cheap local side trips from your longer stopovers.

For details and advice (including how to avoid most fees), check out Flyertalk>Aeroplan>mini-RTW.

earthshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 05:52:08 AM »
How are you racking up air canada miles? Through any particular credit cards? Or via united?

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 07:54:15 AM »
How are you racking up air canada miles? Through any particular credit cards? Or via united?

Aeroplan is a Amex Membership Rewards (MR) transfer partner (1:1). There is a TD aeroplan card with a signup bonus - but it's the only card in the US you can earn AP directly with (that I am aware of). MR and/or SPG/Marriott transfer is your best bet. The Marriott 7 day Travel & Air package is also a great way to get a good chunk of AP points. If you are also eligible to open cards in Canada, you can rack up Aeroplan points faster, but I know it doesn't apply to most people here.

We did the following earlier this year for 3 people (+1 lap infant) on 270K Aeroplan points in Economy: YYZ-BKK-PNH-TPE-YYZ and $350 in taxes/fees for all of 4 us total. Not the best points redemption I suppose, but it worked for us and had a lovely time in the 4 weeks slowing (somewhat) traveling. I also wanted to burn all the Aeroplan points I had accumulated over the years since we don't know what the program will look like after 2020.