Author Topic: Recipe Share  (Read 10396 times)

HeidiO

Recipe Share
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:26:13 PM »
Okay everyone who said they cooked better food than restaurants - please share the recipe wealth!  I am trying to move us from a constant dependence on restaurants, and gain from skills.  I personally try to eat paleo, but welcome all recipes.  I'll start.  This can work with any winter squash, but Acorn is my fav.

Roast Acorn Squash
Peel and cube an acorn squash, mix with a generous amount of your oil of choice (I like olive oil), salt and roast at 350 for 45 minutes, mix a little bit, then 375 for 15 minutes more.  I typically add whole garlic cloves for the final 15 min - they tend to burn on me if I start with them.  Another option is garlic salt.  Cook to your prefered level of crispy.
Really, really good.
Heidi

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
Re: Recipe Share
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
I think there should be a recipe sub-section here in the badassity... Anyone else?

There's a similar thread here.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/mustachian-recipes/

But I'll share my recipe here.
This is what I made last night for lunches over the next few days. It's very rich, and if you don't eat dairy products, it isn't for you. But, at under a $1 a serving, it is a great replacement for frozen lunches.

Matt's Mac & Cheese
Preface: I was never a fan of home-style mac & cheese growing up. It always tasted floury to me. This one solves that problem, and adds some kick if you like that sort of thing. I grew up in a margarine house, I rarely use butter, but this is a recipe that really wants butter instead of margarine.

Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
1 pound uncooked macaroni (or other thick pasta, like Penne)
¼ cup unsalted butter
2 ½ cups milk
1/3 cup all purpose flour
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional - measurement to taste)
1 tsp chilli flakes (option - measurement to taste)
¼ tsp ground black Pepper (measurement to taste)
1 ½ cups old cheddar cheese (the cheap kraft / cracker barrel is fine)
½ cup mozzarella cheese
+ Whatever other cheese you have lying around in the fridge; Swiss works well, as does soft goats cheese. Pretty much any cheese you like will work.

Measure your pasta by putting the uncooked pasta into the oven-safe casserole dish you plan on using. It should take up exactly half the space. If it is more, you won’t have room in your casserole.
Cook the pasta in salted water until still just a bit hard (extra al dente). Put the cooked pasta in the casserole, mix in a small amount of butter or margarine and stir (to prevent pasta from sticking). Cover and let sit while you do other stuff.

In a medium sized pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour slowly, stirring the entire time. Once the flour is mixed with the butter add the milk. Stir often. Add black pepper. Add cayenne and chilli flakes if you want some kick. Keep stirring. Bring the sauce to a low boil and boil over medium/low heat until the sauce has the desired consistency (about ten minutes for me).

While the sauce is boiling down, grate your cheeses. You weren’t silly enough to pay for pre-shredded cheese were you? Good, didn’t think so. It’s pretty easy to grate the cheese and keep on top of the stirring at the same time.

Once the sauce has boiled down to the desired consistency, remove from heat and stir in one cup of the grated cheddar cheese. Mix thoroughly and pour the sauce over the pasta in your casserole. Stir that a bit and then add in the rest of your non-cheddar cheeses. I try to keep the different cheeses a bit seperate so the tastes don't mix all together, but rather each bite tastes of a different cheese. Stir it all together, top with the remaining cheddar cheese, put a lid on it, and toss it in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven, and enjoy cheesy rich soul food.  Put any left overs into sealable tupperware type containers for lunches.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:01:20 PM by Matt K »

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
Japanese Pan Fried Fish

Ingredients:
Two fillets of boneless, skinless white fish
1t of ground ginger
1T of horseradish sauce
3T of soy sauce
3T of red wine (optional)

Directions:
  • Mix ginger, horseradish, soy sauce, and wine in medium sized bowl until even in consistency
  • Cut fish fillets in half (optional)
  • Spread sauce on both sides of fish fillets and let sit for 10 minutes
  • In well greased pan, cook fish over medium until flaky (about 10 minutes) flipping fillet half way
  • Serve over brown rice with stir fry and remaining wine

4 servings, total time is 25 minutes

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:34:02 PM »
Pork Chops and Stove Top

Ingredients:
4-6 boneless pork chops
1-2 boxes of stove top stuffing
Lawry's season salt
Ground black pepper

Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
  • Trim fat off pork and sprinkle liberally with Lawry's season salt
  • Sprinkle with black pepper to taste
  • Drop a small handful of uncooked stove top into bottom of large casserole dish
  • Lay seasoned pork chops onto uncooked stove top to prevent sticking
  • Place dish in oven for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness of pork chops
  • Mix stove top with water per directions
  • Remove dish from oven and spoon the prepared stove top on top of pork chops
  • Place dish back in oven for 20-25 minutes or until pork is fully cooked
  • Serve with corn
Serves 4-8, total time is 60 minutes

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
Sticky Rice for Sushi

This has an amazing smell that you have to experience to believe.

Ingredients:
Short grain white rice

Directions:
  • Place rice (~1/3 cup per roll) in colander
  • Rinse rice in running water until the water runs clear (it will be milky white until the rice is rinsed completely
  • Leave rice submerged in water for 10 minutes to soak
  • Remove rice from water and shake out excess water
  • Add rice and an equal volume of water to a pot with a glass lid
  • Place pot on cold burner and turn to high
  • Once the water starts boiling, let rice boil for 2 minutes
  • Reduce heat to low and cook rice for 10 minutes
  • Remove pot from heat and let rice sit for 10 minutes (don't remove lid)
  • Remove the lid from the pot, stir rice, and let sit another 10 minutes

Total time is 35 minutes

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
Tried a new recipe last night for a potluck that turned out well (there was none left at the end of the evening so I'm assuming everyone else liked it too). Extra bonus, most of the ingredients were loss leaders at my local grocer last week so it was super cheap to make.

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
1 can chicken broth
2 cans creamed corn
1 chopped green  bell pepper
1 chopped red bell pepper
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne

put all the above into a crock pot on low for 8-10 hours. In the last 15 minutes of cooking add:

1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 T corn starch
(shake these up together then stir into the soup)

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
I like to create super simple recipes, minimize effort, maximize eating :)

BBQ Meat Sandwiches

- Cheapest cut of meat you can get (I usually use pork roasts)
- BBQ sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh buns/bread
- Dill Pickles

Cut your meat into pieces no thicker than about 2 inches. Put your meat into a crock pot, rice cooker or reusable oven proof dish and cover with BBQ sauce (quite a lot). Add salt if wanted, usually not required. Cook until the cheap cut of meat is now soft and starting to become one with the BBQ sauce. Serve over buns and pickles.