Author Topic: quit gym, bought kettlebells and gymnastic rings  (Read 5291 times)

letsdoit

• Bristles
quit gym, bought kettlebells and gymnastic rings
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
go hard for 30- 45 minutes. it's a real but kick .  much better shape than while I was in gym

200$ for 5 k'bells some rogue some k'bell kings (bought new, it was too much work on craigslist)
15, 25, 40, 53 and 70 pounds

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
Re: quit gym, bought kettlebells and gymnastic rings
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »
Nice.  Do you have a pull-up bar that you can attach the rings to?

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »
no i have to set it up and take it down everyday in a public place.   
no way by SO would allow a bar in our tiny place

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »
I did something very similar. I bought cheap kettle bells from amazon...they are not great quality but they get job done and a off brand TRX. That along with walking I am starting to make progress to my goals. I think I spent under $200 for my set up. I also found a free online yoga classes. I am loving the simplification of getting into shape. And I do not have to deal with the gym...it is a win win all over.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
best part of no gym:  no changing in locker room or waiting for weights
no pressure to use more weight than needed.  i'm kicking my oen ass w 15 pounds bc i'm focusing so much on good form.  part of me would be embarrassed to do so in a gym  (coach sommer's tim ferriss podcast set me free).  w olympic gymnasts he will increase weight maybe once per YEAR !

yorkville

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »
i quit gym a while ago. Now, I just do calisthenics at local parks, worked from pull-ups to muscle ups. Now working on front and back levers. The local parks are free and open 24 hours.

brunetteUK

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 02:27:24 AM »
Hey letsdoit, hi everyone!
Well done for getting your kettlebells!
I was stuck on analysis paralysis and didn't know what to get, so I got a 4kg kettlebell hat I could carry home easily and start using it right away.
Then... I thought it was too light and it became the door stop for a while.
Just last week I kicked my own ass and got back to using it, I cycle home from work and do a workout in my own room. I've been doing this 10 minutes workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiC0zylTB0w which is perfect for me since I'm not too strong. Also, I rather do 10 minutes often then do 30 minutes once a month :)

And I agree with everyone, no need to go to the gym is bliss!

JSMustachian

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »
We canceled our gym membership a  year ago and never looked back. The equipment you buy will pay for itself over time in a way by not having that gym membership cost. We saved $60-70 a month for the gym membership, plus gas money and time required to drive to the gym.

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:43:10 AM »
I went a bit far and built an entire bay garage gym
power rack (titan t3 20% off using sales, ebates, cc discount, etc)
bench (rogue flat off craigslist) 100
bumper plate 260lb set (260 off Walmart)
platform built 100
tractor supply stall mats 60
kettlebells free 55 off craiglist
100lb sandbag rogue 60 off craigslist
texas power bar $100 fb marketplace
rack accessories (dip bars, landmine) 80
airdyne $50

all in all i'm in for a bit over 1000. I've kept equipment I used and got some free gear out of packages i've bought that i've sold parts of and kept the stuff I wanted. I actually got a pair of concept 2 rowers for $800 and sold them both for 800 so the gyms basically free.

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
I did something very similar. I bought cheap kettle bells from amazon...they are not great quality but they get job done and a off brand TRX. That along with walking I am starting to make progress to my goals. I think I spent under $200 for my set up. I also found a free online yoga classes. I am loving the simplification of getting into shape. And I do not have to deal with the gym...it is a win win all over.
Free online yoga is great. It takes time to sort classes I like from those I don't though. Once I find ones I like, I stick with them for a while. Current favourites from YouTube: Multilevel morning flow with Fiji McAlpine, 45 min vinyasa by Tim Senesi, hot asana by Virginia.
Plus running outside, bodyweight exercises indoors. Haven't bought any weights yet, do biceps curls and straight-arm lifts with chairs. A bicycle inner tube is an excellent exercise band (straight arm pull-aparts in front, rowing).

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 12:19:44 AM »
My wife and I wanted to get back into fitness.  We were really into crossfit a few years ago but life kinda got in the way/made excuses, etc.  Anyways, she went and checked out the local CF gym and she liked it but she also brought home the prices... it was going to be like $350/month for both of us.  I was like hell no because she wants to keep her yoga membership too which I support, but our rym budget was not going to balloon 3x.   

So we decided to start doing workouts on our own in our backyard.  It's been fantastic.  We do mostly bodyweight stuff, lots of burpees, situps, pushups, running up the hills in the neighborhood, etc.  We are using old yoga mats, bought a jumprope, a few weights and a medicine ball.  It has been a great experience.  It's a great activity for us to do together and we motivate each other.  We get to write our own workouts which is great because we can focus on what we want to.  Our music too! 

It's had other benefits too... I was not really happy with our backyard in our new house and now I see it's actually not that bad because it suits our workout needs really well.  We have an elevated wooden platform that we are using.  We have realized how well shaded, secluded and pleasant our lot actually is.   

Also, because of my work schedule (I work nights) I end up doing workouts in the late afternoon or evening, in plenty of heat which I've always complained about.  Ever since I've started working out and just embraced the heat instead of complaining about it, the warm temps just don't even bother me that much. 

Our fitness has improved, I know I really feel better and we spent a minimal amount of dough to really improve our lives in a number of aspects. 

capoevename

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
May I suggest you guys look into reddit's bodyweight fitness recommended routine? https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

@ice_beard, for the ladies (who tend to have more lower body ambitions), you can switch up and do 4 leg exercises and 2 upper body exercises per workout, and rotate the upper body ones in different days.

drachma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »
I have found kettlebells are excellent. I moved into a small apartment with no room for my home gym setup so I sold it (and for like 80% of what I paid too :-D ).

Recently I decided to pick up kettlebells using Dan John's 10,000 swings program as a template. Its basically, 5x a week you do this:

10 swings
1 pull up
15 swings
2 pull up
25 swings
3 pull up
50 swings
rest (stretch hamstrings & quads)
repeat 5x = 500 swings

each day of the week, substitute the pull ups for either Pull Ups, Goblet Squat, Dips (or push-ups), strict press. So in 1 session you do a total of 500 swings and 30 pullups.

pretty awesome results. at the beginning I had to take rests between almost every set, and completing all 500 swings took me 55 minutes. After a few weeks, each workout was taking me 25 minutes and you basically never stop moving. thinking about that blows my mind, like I literally doubled my power output in a month. same amount of work, half the time = 2x the power. My ability to run up hills was improved dramatically as well.

then i moved to the next size KB up and got my ass handed to me again, back up to 55 minutes at first >_<

these things are awesome and very very compact. I doubt I will ever need more than a 70lb KB for the rest of my life.

yorkville

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
Keeping in line with the minimalist principle, I have been on finding ways to simplify my workout. I quit gym a while ago, and started doing calisthenics at local parks, which are free and open 24 hours. I recently found some ways to work out while in office. One, I started skipping rope in the stairwell. (Granted, my office has an executive bathroom with a shower on each floor which I can use). Two, I managed to do a front lever at my desk, and am now working toward what this guy is doing. Of course, I don't do this in the middel of the day when the office is full of people. I also go to the stairwell area several times throughout the day to work on my handstand and planche. These activities provide nice breaks during the workday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUFVRIcwB5k

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:52:25 PM by yorkville »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!