Author Topic: Personal Health plus saving money  (Read 8045 times)

Duke03

• Bristles
Personal Health plus saving money
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:59:18 PM »
For the last 12 years I have traveled non stop for work.  Nothing long haul.  Just 150-200 miles away from my home with an over night stay 3 to 4 times a week.  In the past I have constantly ate on the road.  Trust me when I say you didn't want to see my bank statements as it was nothing but restaurants and food places.  I tried to eat cheap as possible...like hit up the free breakfast at the hotel and then get a foot long at subway and split it between lunch and dinner, but I was still spending $20 to $30 round trip.  Work gives me some money for meals but it doesn't cover everything.  Two weeks ago I stopped all this nonsense cold turkey.  I have since been meal prepping and bringing a huge cooler full of grilled chicken and vegies plus salads, fruits, milk, oatmeal, cereal ect.  I have also cut out all sodas, sweet tea, sugars of any kind and no more bread.  In the last 15 days I have lost 14lbs and feel great.  I've set a goal to hit 180lbs which would mean me losing 30lbs total.  I'm also saving $400 to $500 a month plus I'm positive all the tax free money my work still is paying me for my out of town meals.  It's crazy now to look at my bank statement and not see every restaurant under the sun listed.  I haven't spent one dollar on food other than at the grocery store in over 15 days.  I'm really proud of myself and honestly this is so easy I kick myself in the ass for not doing it sooner.  I've had zero cravings for any thing sweet or all the crappy stuff I use to eat.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Personal Health plus saving money
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:05:55 PM »
That's great!

Good job on the healthier foods and for not taking the easy path.

That said, if you're traveling for work, why doesn't your employer pay for all of your meals?

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 10:30:52 PM »
That's great!

Good job on the healthier foods and for not taking the easy path.

That said, if you're traveling for work, why doesn't your employer pay for all of your meals?

Have to thank the union and all their foresight into not upping the meal allowance with inflation over the last decade on that issue......

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:34:10 PM »
Oh. That stinks.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 11:53:26 PM »
I just looked through a couple of old bank statements and I was spending $488 average per month on food while I was out on the road.  It's going to be exciting to have that money freed up and I can put it to work.  That alone will fund an IRA for me.  Another thing we have cut back on is the occasional family meal out once or twice a week.  We haven't been out to a dinner in over 3 weeks.  That alone will save me at least $250 a month.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 11:57:51 PM »
I'm really proud of myself...

As well you should be! GREAT JOB!! So happy you're experiencing results that will help keep you motivated.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:05:20 AM »
Way to go!!! Better health AND money = badass :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:15:04 AM »
Way to go!!! Better health AND money = badass :)
In that order!

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
Way to go! :)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 10:49:35 PM »
Double win! Well done. I hope you're enjoying the healthier food too.

It sounds simple, but what you've done is the sort of thing that would have most people saying, "Oh, no, too much effort, I don't have time." Keep at it!

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »
Inspirational! 

From the health aspect alone this is amazing. Also a good reminder how food choices can have cascading effect.  You've inspired me to follow suit when I travel for work (even though most of my projects pay on receipts not per diem).

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »
Still going at it.  Today has been 5 1/2 weeks and I have officially lost 20lbs.  Looks like I'm going to have to lower my goal from 180lbs to 170lbs.  I've still yet to spend $1 at a restaurant since I started this challenge. I've saved over $600 in the last few weeks. 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 08:38:13 PM »
Nicely done!!! A bit jealous that you drop weight so quickly. You're definitely going to hit your newest goal!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 12:15:18 AM »
Well done!!!! So great to hear of sustained commitment and results!

The Aspiring Giraffe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »
This was so inspiring to read! Great job and best of luck to you :)

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
Just a quick up date.  I'm still sticking with my lifestyle change and I can't believe the results I've gotten.  Today I got on the scale and I'm down to 178lbs.  This means I've lost 32lbs in less than 3 months.  I've still yet to spend $1 while I'm on the road.  I honestly can't remember the last time I was under 180lbs.  It had to be while I was in high school.  I've had to go buy new pants and new belts as nothing would fit me anymore.  I'm going to wait until I get down to the 170lb range before I buy new shirts ect.

I thought when I started eating healthy I'd be spending more money at the grocery store, but honestly I've been spending the same or a bit less.  So far I've saved over $1600 by bringing all my own food when I travel.

LessIsLess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
Just a quick up date.  I'm still sticking with my lifestyle change and I can't believe the results I've gotten.  Today I got on the scale and I'm down to 178lbs.  This means I've lost 32lbs in less than 3 months.  I've still yet to spend $1 while I'm on the road.  I honestly can't remember the last time I was under 180lbs.  It had to be while I was in high school.  I've had to go buy new pants and new belts as nothing would fit me anymore.  I'm going to wait until I get down to the 170lb range before I buy new shirts ect.

I thought when I started eating healthy I'd be spending more money at the grocery store, but honestly I've been spending the same or a bit less.  So far I've saved over $1600 by bringing all my own food when I travel.

Excellent - you take charge of your life and make it better.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »
Way to go, Duke03!!! What a fantastic report :)
Congrats on your self-determination, and the results of that!

ks135ks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »
Wow!  Congratulations Duke03!  Quite impressive and inspirational too. :)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 10:53:10 AM »
I don't travel much for work, but when I do I always try to find a nearby grocery store and eat at the hotel on their dime.    Even pre-prepped gourmet deli food from Whole paycheck is cheaper (so I don't feel like I'm abusing the company) and I usually have leftovers to take the following week for lunch.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »
Well today was a mile stone for me.  I hopped on the scale today and was down to 169lbs.  I haven't been this light in probably close to 20 years.  I've officially lost 41lbs in 4 months.  I went from wearing 38in pants to 32 in pants and even those are a bit loose.  I think it would be totally awesome if I could get down in the 150 range, but I'm not going to kill myself to do it.  I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing and see what happens.  I haven't ate at a fast food restaurant in over 4 months and feel great.  Once a week my wife and I treat our self to a nice dinner to celebrate our success.  She's also down to her pre marriage and kid weight.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:53:35 PM by Duke03 »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
WOW!! Great job, Duke03!!

Super congrats to both you and your DW :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 08:48:49 AM »
Congrats on your success. Another thing is get out and go for a walk at the hotels. Be surprised how much weight you will lose and how refreshed you will feel. I travel alot for soccer so I get up and usually walk for 90 minutes and if I eat out I usually look for a Ruby Tuesdays or a place that has a salad bar that I can make my own. Large Ice water with lemon or lime and I'm good.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 08:55:22 AM »
Awesome job!!

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
 Today I have officially lost 50lbs!  I still can't believe it. I'm 160lbs and that is honestly a weight I never in a million years thought I could reach. It actually feels awesome to be in the normal range of weight for my height.  The last 10lbs took longer than I wanted, because we went on two different vacations in October so the diet was thrown out the window during that time.  I'm also proud to say that my blood pressure is the lowest I've ever seen it.  It was 101/80 the other day while I sat in the dentist chair.  I'm sure I'll probably loose a few more lbs but I'm happy at this current weight and will look at just maintaining.  Now it's time to hit the weights and add some muscle.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 09:25:01 AM »
Phenomenal, Duke03!!!!

I'm so happy for you! Thanks for updating, too -a real pleasure to read :)

Jesus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »
Awesome, great inspiration!

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »
Amazing work!!!! So inspiring!

Now, what is happening with all the money you are saving? Are you using it to make sure your financial picture is as positively awesome as your health?

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »
Wow, well done!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!