Author Topic: Passed the PE Exam!!  (Read 3011 times)

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
Passed the PE Exam!!
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
Officially never obligated to learn or study ever again!! Now if only I can remember what I used to do before engineering school / career / PE exam took over my life....

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Passed the PE Exam!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
Officially never obligated to learn or study ever again!! Now if only I can remember what I used to do before engineering school / career / PE exam took over my life....

Congrats!  My co-worker is anxiously waiting his results, I told him it would be Mid-May... what state did you test in?  I passed mine in 2015 and you're right, it is a MASSIVE relief.  Which field of engineering did you pass?

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
Took it in NY - most of the states have posted results today and yesterday. I took civil water resources and environmental. Hope your co-worker has good news!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 10:10:35 AM »
Took it in NY - most of the states have posted results today and yesterday. I took civil water resources and environmental. Hope your co-worker has good news!

Funny, I just asked him...  he checked his e-mail and he got the Pass result 20 minutes ago.  We both took the Mechanical.  Congrats again!

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:39:31 AM »
i thought the EIT, taken for me in 2003, was way harder than the PE (taken in 2008). i didn't study for either and was a shitty student on the whole, but a good test taker. PE test was so easy that i finished the first half an hour early and the second half 90 minutes early.

having a PE means nothing from what i've seen in my day to day job. i supervise a handful of folks in my office and PE, MS, PhD, etc --- none of those matter.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:58:38 AM »
Definitely doesn’t mean much unless you use it. Fortunately for me the construction industry in NYC is layered with red tape and you can’t do anything without a PE sign and seal. The niche I work in only has a handful of PE’s willing to sign for this work, so having it should provide a lot of opportunities. None of the big firms will touch this niche.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
having a PE means nothing from what i've seen in my day to day job. i supervise a handful of folks in my office and PE, MS, PhD, etc --- none of those matter.

Even if you don’t actually use yours to sign off of anything, it should still mean a raise. If your company doesn’t already have a specific percent in place, you should still be able to make the case that you are now worth more because other companies will pay more for a PE. Get that extra cash for your stash!

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 02:13:15 PM »
Welcome to the club!

bw_94

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 02:32:51 PM »
Congrats! I passed my FE (mechanical) back in October and it was such a huge relief. Can't wait to get the PE out of the way in a couple years, must be a great feeling.

Good job!

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 11:44:08 AM »
HUGE CONGRATS TO YOU!  I just got my FAIL results for the Civil Water Resources in Maryland but can only imagine how good it must feel to have that beast slayed. 

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
Sorry to hear @WranglerBowman - hit those practice problems over and over until you can’t find one that you can’t solve. You will get it on the next round with a bit of hard work.

Takk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 03:09:56 PM »
Congrats on the PE!

I second that the FE was harder for me, but I was many years out of school when I took that. I did the entire PE test twice just to take the time up, as it was things I did every day.
NY is a pretty good one to grab, they do not allow much reciprocity over there.
Source: Tried to do some HVAC design work in NY, had to subcontract a PE for NYC to review and stamp as my FL didn't cut it.

primozaj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 07:55:27 PM »
Congrats...  That's quite an accomplishment.  I earned mine in Ohio in 2006.

Remember though, that many states require annual or bi-annual continuous learning so you may have to "study" somewhat.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 09:18:56 AM »
Congratulations!  I plan on joining you about 6 months from now.

Even if you don’t actually use yours to sign off of anything, it should still mean a raise. If your company doesn’t already have a specific percent in place, you should still be able to make the case that you are now worth more because other companies will pay more for a PE. Get that extra cash for your stash!

At minimum, it's leverage in negotiation.

PE also means that you can(if you so choose) go solo/be the head of a firm, since you don't have to rely on a PE somewhere else in the organization to sign off on things.  If you value independence/flexibility as most on these forums do, that's a pretty powerful option to have if you think it might be of interest to you.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 01:25:35 PM »
Congratulations!  I plan on joining you about 6 months from now.

At minimum, it's leverage in negotiation.

PE also means that you can(if you so choose) go solo/be the head of a firm, since you don't have to rely on a PE somewhere else in the organization to sign off on things.  If you value independence/flexibility as most on these forums do, that's a pretty powerful option to have if you think it might be of interest to you.

I didn't ask for it, but the owners ended up giving me a 3% raise - and this was only 1-month after a very respectable raise. Combined and after tax, I will be investing an extra $800/mo this year than last year (already automated).

I agree that it adds a layer of flexibility. I know I can jump ship at anytime and work for myself if I want. I know I can get a decent job at another firm if I need. Although I haven't advertised that I passed yet because I haven't been issued my PE#, many of my clients have heard the news and called me to say congratulations. Seems like it means more to my clients than to other engineers. One of my clients even said something to the effect of, "We are watching to see what you will do next, when you will start working for yourself." DW and I are talking about starting a family soon, working from home would be awfully convenient... If nothing else, I am keeping my head up for opportunities to make some side money.

jmechanical

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 03:03:25 AM »
Congratulations! It's a wonderful accomplishment and you should be proud.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!