Author Topic: Our library receipt shows how much money you save  (Read 5185 times)

bonbonbaron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Our library receipt shows how much money you save
« on: July 09, 2020, 07:38:13 PM »
Today I saved $67 checking out three books:
  • Street Smart: The Rise of Cities and the Fall of Cars
  • How Cycling Can Save the World
  • Alien Empire: An Exploration of the Lives of Insects

Yes I'm a huge nerd. But so cool how much value you can pump into your life for FREE.... And our library's huge!!!

ageless-human

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Our library receipt shows how much money you save
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 06:05:52 AM »

Yes I'm a huge nerd. But so cool how much value you can pump into your life for FREE.... And our library's huge!!!

It seems that they're overstating the benefit. A quick look at used books on Amazon and you could buy them all for ~$22.

Also, it's not free. You've paid for it.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 07:22:54 AM »
But even if the savings are less, my local library brings great value to my life.  And yes, you are paying for it via taxes. But that is true even if you don't use it.  So do some mental math and cut the number by a half or 2/3rds - it's still worth congratulating yourself.

I think it's cool marketing to put the"savings" on a library receipt.

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »

It seems that they're overstating the benefit. A quick look at used books on Amazon and you could buy them all for ~$22.

Also, it's not free. You've paid for it.

Sure, it’s not free, but the cost of buying the book is amortized over dozens of checkouts, so it’s much lower on a per-reader basis.

ageless-human

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 08:29:17 AM »
I think it's cool marketing to put the"savings" on a library receipt.

It is cool, but it would be more accurate to put the taxes paid less the market value of the books checked out. As an avid reader, I greatly benefit from and enjoy the library. That said, very few people in my area use it, so on average and strictly from a fiscal perspective, I’m not sure the average community member has a net positive.

Photograph 51

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 11:58:20 AM »
I have seen those receipts in libraries from other counties in my state when I use interlibrary loan.  Since I have lived in my county for 15.5 years and probably checked out at least 10 items per week, my total savings is probably in the tens of thousands.  I love the library.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
I love this idea. We're heavy library users. I'm sure I derive far more value than I pay in taxes.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 05:57:51 PM »
I like it.
Could also include a green credit for amazon packaging and delivery avoided, etc.
For me, one of the best things about library books is that I don’t have to keep them in my house after I read them. Too many books here already.

Neuroman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
Libraries are amazing! Even though they are physically closed you can apply for a digital "e-library card" so try it out! You can get not only books, but free online movies, audiobooks--even online classes.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 04:15:57 AM »
I like it.
Could also include a green credit for amazon packaging and delivery avoided, etc.
For me, one of the best things about library books is that I don’t have to keep them in my house after I read them. Too many books here already.

Agreed. Your points are particularly true with books that are"not so great".  And since there is no financial risk involved with checking a book out of the library it allows me to look into books I would have otherwise dismissed.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 10:27:31 PM »
I remember explaining how libraries work to my then four year old daughter.  It completely blew her mind that we could walk out with a whole heap of books that she wanted and we DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY.

Little Miss 4:  "Is it like a credit card, Daddy? Where you don't pay now, but then they send you a bill?"

Me: "No.  You just borrow the books and read them and then return them."

LM4:  "But I get to read them?"

Me:  "Yes"

LM4:  "And when we take them back, do we have to pay for them?"

Me:  "No"

LM4:  "Do we ever have to pay for them?"

Me: "Well, no.  Not really.  The city provides libraries as a service for the people who live here."

LM4:  "Wow.  They should have libraries for ice cream as well as books."

Me: "Ummm.  I'm not sure that would work quite so well..."

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 04:46:37 AM »
In these times of "conscious spending", I sometimes read books and magazines of a more political nature where I want to understand the contents without giving money to the author or publisher.   :)

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 10:10:11 AM »
It should be noted that the libraries (usually) use the full MSRP for the items you are checking out. This is not necessarily to inflate the amount of savings on the receipts, although I'm sure the higher numbers look better. The main reason is that libraries almost always purchase brand new from distributors, and sometimes there is a markup on the items in the form of a "circulation fee." To the publishers/distributors, this is offsetting profit lost from people who check the items out and do not buy a copy for themselves. This practice varies from distributor to distributor though. The library is merely showing you what you saved from not having to do what they do.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »
I think it's a wonderful practice!

I'd love to see "green savings" and so on, too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »
This year I read more than 50 books already and paid for 1 or so. The rest for free from the library. I grew up with a library as a child. But after moving to Norway, I started buying (expensive) books. I didn't know how the library here worked and obviously didn't bother to find out. Also the hassle of having only three weeks to read it was a hurdle. But a few years ago, I became a member and that was really simpel and for free. And with an app, I can borrow the books longer as long as someone else didn't order them. I have used the library for lots of books that I just want to read once, novels or non fiction books. Now the library has also internet books available, maybe because of covit, so we can borrow books wherever we are.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 11:59:17 AM by Linea_Norway »

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »
Yes! Libraries are the best. Growing up, my family were heavy library users and bought books were special birthday/Christmas treats. As an adult, I became a bit spendy with books, but now returning to my frugal library-loving roots!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »
This reminds me of the "savings" they put at the bottom of your grocery receipt. Strawberries were regular price $8 for two pounds, but on sale for $4 for two pounds. Congratulations you saved 50%! Not really, because I wouldn't have paid the $8 to begin with. I would have either purchased them elsewhere, at a store that is generally more reasonably priced, or gone without and bought some other kind of fruit that was more reasonably priced.

I feel like at the library, I check out stuff just because, and some of it never gets looked at. Especially when you have kids and they just want to check out everything in sight. Or I check stuff out for myself and never get around to reading it because of the aforementioned kids. I guess at least I didn't pay for it and not get to enjoy it. Stuff like that kind of skews the "savings" number as well. Just because I check it out doesn't mean I would have otherwise paid for it. My library also doesn't seem to be that great. They rarely actually have a book I want in stock, so I have to place a request and wait. Not really a big deal usually, but sometimes I just buy it new/used because I want or need it sooner than the library can get it for me.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2020, 07:11:27 AM »
I like it.

Agreed. Your points are particularly true with books that are"not so great".  And since there is no financial risk involved with checking a book out of the library it allows me to look into books I would have otherwise dismissed.

I love our library. My favorite thing is to browse the stacks and just randomly pick things to read. I've stumbled on some great ones that way, and if I get a bad one I don't have to finish it. Right now they are pick up only because of Covid 😟. They recently eliminated fees and will automatically renew books as long as there are no holds. Saves me the step of logging in to the website to renew.

I'm not sure how I feel about putting the "savings" on the receipt. Seems kinda gimmicky.

SparkyPeanut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 08:57:55 PM »
I remember explaining how libraries work to my then four year old daughter.  It completely blew her mind that we could walk out with a whole heap of books that she wanted and we DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY.

Little Miss 4:  "Is it like a credit card, Daddy? Where you don't pay now, but then they send you a bill?"

Me: "No.  You just borrow the books and read them and then return them."

LM4:  "But I get to read them?"

Me:  "Yes"

LM4:  "And when we take them back, do we have to pay for them?"

Me:  "No"

LM4:  "Do we ever have to pay for them?"

Me: "Well, no.  Not really.  The city provides libraries as a service for the people who live here."

LM4:  "Wow.  They should have libraries for ice cream as well as books."

Me: "Ummm.  I'm not sure that would work quite so well..."

Wow how cute. Smart little girl!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2020, 10:10:22 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about putting the "savings" on the receipt. Seems kinda gimmicky.

I agree that putting the "savings" on the receipt could be viewed as gimmicky - however, if my receipt simply posed the question of "how much has your library membership saved you?" Each person could derive their own value as it applies to their lives, and I think most library users would agree that they come out ahead...no matter how many mustachians break it down to the nitty-gritty!  :D

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 05:10:56 AM »
You all need to check out a bunch of audiobooks to boost your savings number. My savings for this year alone are definitely probably 1500 or more :-).

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 05:28:20 AM »
Our library taxes are about $150/year for our household. We easily consume far more value than that in books, movies, and museum passes. That was a good idea by that library.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 07:22:05 PM »
It should be noted that the libraries (usually) use the full MSRP for the items you are checking out. This is not necessarily to inflate the amount of savings on the receipts, although I'm sure the higher numbers look better. The main reason is that libraries almost always purchase brand new from distributors, and sometimes there is a markup on the items in the form of a "circulation fee." To the publishers/distributors, this is offsetting profit lost from people who check the items out and do not buy a copy for themselves. This practice varies from distributor to distributor though. The library is merely showing you what you saved from not having to do what they do.

In what country do you work where there is ever a “markup” that acts as a circulation fee?

I’ve heard of of this in the UK. Not sure about Canada.

It is not a U.S. practice.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 07:48:52 AM »

In what country do you work where there is ever a “markup” that acts as a circulation fee?

It is indeed a practice in the United States, which is where I was referring to. I used to work for a public library and did ordering and collection development duties as part of my job. Simon and Schuster in particular is the worst when it comes to adding fees to things.

However, it should also be noted that this practice varies depending on the library. Not all systems are funded the same way, not all localities are subject to same laws or policies, etc.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 07:57:59 AM »

It is indeed a practice in the United States, which is where I was referring to. I used to work for a public library and did ordering and collection development duties as part of my job. Simon and Schuster in particular is the worst when it comes to adding fees to things.

However, it should also be noted that this practice varies depending on the library. Not all systems are funded the same way, not all localities are subject to same laws or policies, etc.

Ah, it sound like  you talking about electronic sources? Yes, I agree there were all kind of shenanigans with various contractual requirements on downloadables.

I ran a public library system’s acquisitions department spending $3 million a year on collection materials and there was never anything like the fees you mention for print materials.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2021, 06:49:50 AM »
In these times of "conscious spending", I sometimes read books and magazines of a more political nature where I want to understand the contents without giving money to the author or publisher.   :)

If you are reading books by Swedish authors or books translated by Swedish translators, your are giving the authors money. Sweden has a fund that is constructed to pay for books borrowed in libraries. in 2021, the author gets 1,92 sek (about 21 cents USD) per borrowed book.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 07:09:45 AM »
I am a huge library supporter, both with time and $$. I serve on two library boards. In normal times, I help run five large book sales (5-6,000 curated items each sale).

I agree that the "savings" is false an illusion, in the same way it is at the grocery store. We pay for libraries via our taxes. Most importantly, as Mustachians, absent library access, we would find other ways to source books than paying retail for them.

Example: I volunteer at a Thrift shop. On Tuesdays, every book is a quarter. It wouldn't be nearly as impressive to say I bought three books for seventy five cents. Plus, I would own them, so there would be no possibility of the dreaded library fines.

I think posting the "savings" is gimmicky. It also feels calculated, as if patrons are being reminded how much they should appreciate what the library is doing for them. Apologies to all the underpaid/overworked/underappreciated Librarians out there, but y'all know where the money comes from.

Currently, our libraries have no limits on checked items, and no fines for "late" materials. My friend has library cards in two different systems (legitimately). She always has a large number of requests working. During the pandemic, all of her holds started coming in, so she has averaged over a hundred items checked out at once. Imagine what her total "savings" would be. She must be rich! Which is exactly what I say, every time a grocery person tells me how much I've "saved". Especially on Senior Morning, lol.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:47:38 PM by Dicey »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »
I am a huge library supporter, both with time and $$. I serve on two library boards. In normal times, I help run five large book sales (5-6,000 curated items each sale).

I agree that the "savings" is false, in the same way it is at the grocery store. We pay for libraries via our taxes. Most importantly, as Mustachians, absent library access, we would find other ways to source books than paying retail for them.

Example: I volunteer at a Thrift shop. On Tuesdays, every book is a quarter. It wouldn't be nearly as impressive to say I bought three books for seventy five cents.

I think posting the "savings" is gimmicky. It also feels calculated, as if patrons are being reminded how much they should appreciate what the library is doing for them. Apologies to all the underpaid/overworked/underappreciated  Librarians out there, but y'all know where the money comes from.

Currently, our libraries have no limits on checked items, and no fines for "late" materials. My friend has library cards in two different systems (legitimately). She always has a large number of requests working. During the pandemic, all of her holds started coming in, so she has averaged over a hundred items checked out at once. Imagine what her total "savings" would be. She must be rich! Which is exactly what I say, every time a grocery person tells me how much I've "saved. Especially on Senior Morning, lol.

Yes I agree with you that’s a little bit hokey to show a savings on library usage. It may be useful for some people, but not for all.

My former boss was well known in the public library field for publishing a methodology about 20 years ago in “showing “the value of public library service in dollars and cents. I found that much ballyhooed study to be a bit on the hokey side as well. It had some considerations that were worthwhile but the overall conclusive methodology was just not convincing to me. But then, I don’t have a PhD in the social sciences.

mntnmn117

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 01:43:19 PM »
My wife read 60 books last year and on a Facebook post people commented how expensive that must be. Of course its all library books. Was kinda funny in the comments to hear about people who are buying lots of books every year, I assume so they can make that stack of books post annually.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 05:51:01 AM »
My wife read 60 books last year and on a Facebook post people commented how expensive that must be. Of course its all library books. Was kinda funny in the comments to hear about people who are buying lots of books every year, I assume so they can make that stack of books post annually.

If all 60 were purchased at Dicey's thrift store at $0.25 each, it would've amounted to only $15.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2021, 07:25:37 PM »
While admittedly gimmicky I like that it speaks in the personal-interest language a lot of people will hear more strongly than most other calls for the tremendous benefits libraries offer a community, between education, more equal access across classes to knowledge & technology (some have 3D printers for rent!) & cultural events, even just giving people a safe indoor place to exist without spending money - which is especially critical for young people who can't safely be at home & will be at legal risk of "loitering" anywhere else. Even if I didn't use mine (I certainly do) I'd be proud to pay taxes to keep them running. As said above, I love too that I can explore books I'd not otherwise risk money on, & I read much more broadly in non-fiction as a result.

If they did this at our library I suspect my father would've saved many thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of actual spent dollars at the bookstore.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »
While admittedly gimmicky I like that it speaks in the personal-interest language a lot of people will hear more strongly than most other calls for the tremendous benefits libraries offer a community, between education, more equal access across classes to knowledge & technology (some have 3D printers for rent!) & cultural events, even just giving people a safe indoor place to exist without spending money - which is especially critical for young people who can't safely be at home & will be at legal risk of "loitering" anywhere else. Even if I didn't use mine (I certainly do) I'd be proud to pay taxes to keep them running. As said above, I love too that I can explore books I'd not otherwise risk money on, & I read much more broadly in non-fiction as a result.

If they did this at our library I suspect my father would've saved many thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of actual spent dollars at the bookstore.

This is a great point. Libraries are a great equalizer. I use them for fun because, well, they are fun, and I like to read and listen to novels. However, if you have a library relatively close by, you can get high-speed internet for free - apply to jobs, learn how to code, and a million other things without needing to spend anything but whatever it takes to transport yourself there and your time. If you want to encourage people to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps", fund libraries and encourage people to use them.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 11:56:22 AM »
This thread reminded me that my library recently opened back up for limited browsing. Just booked a slot for the dino-obsessed kids of mine to visit and get some books. Yay! :)

mslladyfire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Savvy Ladies
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
I like this concept a lot. Wish our library had this!

I'm also amazed to read that libraries seem to be free in many places. Everywhere I've lived so far I had to take out a library membership, and while that is a very low cost, it is not free. There are also some additional fees for pre-ordering books.

Over my lifetime, I wonder how much money the libraries have saved me. As a kid, I often used to carry 30ish out at any time. Now, not as much, but I still miss going to the library to just browse and pick up a book or two. Oh well, hopefully soon that will be possible again!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 09:07:22 PM »
I imagine it would be pretty high for me as well. I churn through books at a fairly insane rate - this is my first year tracking what I read, and I'm at 134 from January 1st. Right now I have 15 library books checked out and another 8 holds. I've been going a bit library-crazy since getting a new e-reader a few weeks ago that can connect directly to the digital collection.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2021, 09:23:46 PM »
... I'm also amazed to read that libraries seem to be free in many places. Everywhere I've lived so far I had to take out a library membership, and while that is a very low cost, it is not free. There are also some additional fees for pre-ordering books. ...
This is remarkable to me likewise - everywhere I've lived for more than a month or two has had public libraries available. You had to have a card, but that was provided without charge; our system even did away with late fees. Interlibrary loans have been free as far back as I can remember, but I don't think we have the option to pre-order. The e-book collection has been a saving grace through the pandemic.

Here in my theoretically red state the whole system runs without a profit motive, provides all sorts of public workshops & services, tax prep for the poor, college prep for youngsters, in multiple languages, all on a fairly slim budget. Frankly I see it as a great demonstration of what we could do with buy-in to other public programs, which draws dedicated, educated, capable staff into the game for something more than just a paycheck.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2021, 07:02:25 PM »
I discovered today that my library has a TOY library! The baby will be thrilled. Mom and Dad are too cheap to buy him toys, and his favorite toy (a soggy box that used to hold a tube of hydrocortisone....sigh) has mysteriously disappeared.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 07:36:49 PM »
Another library fan here. @Dee_ , that's very cool that your library let's you check out toys as well. My library system has some of that sort of thing too and I agree it's a wonderful feature.

For me, one value I get out of libraries is that I can do a deep dive into a topic and check out a bunch of materials at once on a given subject, like "travel to country X" or "new hobby Y," when if I were outright buying the materials myself, I would likely have only bought just one or two books/videos and not learned as much about my topic of interest. In other words, it's not just that I save money on what I would have otherwise bought access to, but that my overall consumption increases.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 11:36:46 AM »
Yup, libraries are the best. And a Great Equalizer.

Around here you can try out a new sport, like snowshoeing for example, by borrowing a kit with everything you need. Saves a ton if you don't end up liking it.
And you can test-drive a season's ticket to the symphony, or to the local basketball league. You just borrow the library's season ticket.
And you can book recording studio time to make records, or 3-D printers to print 3-D stuff.

We mostly borrow books and movie DVDs and music CDs. As well as library-licensed music streaming services: the Naxos Music Library is amazing. Free to library card holders.
So get yourself to your library, it's the best-value thing in most towns. Dig deep into what they offer.