Author Topic: One sheet to rule them all...  (Read 271131 times)

urmie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: One sheet to rule them all...
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2017, 07:20:13 PM »
So I just started using this sheet, want to start tracking for 2017 and filled in Jan 2017's column and adjusted the FI labels.
I went to mortgage and put $0 for 'Start Amount of Table' because I don't own a home hence no mortgage.
Now all of the NW tab has "#VALUE" in the colored columns, why is this so dependent on the mortgage tab?

I populated the white areas of the NW tab for 12/1/2016 with my last balances.
So income/expense/401K/IRA/ROTH, etc.
NetWorth/Liquid and all the colored columns still remain "#VALUE".

How should this be filled out for those of us who don't own a home?
What am I missing here?

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2017, 11:35:22 AM »
thanks for all the work IndyP and wienerdog!

Jan 2017 over now so I've started to really start to use and learn this spreadsheet.
I have one question though: How do I account for expenses that are annual, that came up in January?  I'm putting 'FALSE' on 'Use all-time?' because I dont have historical expenses recorded.  However, a few things like property taxes and child pre-school expenses came up in January, and I would like to leave as line items in the budget (can even be in the third box), but if I enter those values in, they get calculated as monthly expenses and my time to FI shoots way up.  Whats the best way to account for annual expenses?  Thanks.

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »

Jan 2017 over now so I've started to really start to use and learn this spreadsheet.
I have one question though: How do I account for expenses that are annual, that came up in January?  I'm putting 'FALSE' on 'Use all-time?' because I dont have historical expenses recorded.  However, a few things like property taxes and child pre-school expenses came up in January, and I would like to leave as line items in the budget (can even be in the third box), but if I enter those values in, they get calculated as monthly expenses and my time to FI shoots way up.  Whats the best way to account for annual expenses?  Thanks.

I pay my auto insurance in a lump sum every Jan, so I divided the amount by 12 and put that value in each month. It spreads the annual expense over the year. This keeps my "years til FI" number more accurate. The downside is that is skews my monthly savings rate on the individual month sheets.

Ultimately, the "Years till FI" number will be most accurate at the end of the year when you have tracked and entered all 12 months of expenses because it will average out.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »
Hello again!
I have this working now --- yay
Just doing the investment tab today.. is something wrong with it?
Line 23 seems a little messed up in E, F and I and is affecting what I enter.. maybe the formula is in the wrong place ?

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
So I just started using this sheet, want to start tracking for 2017 and filled in Jan 2017's column and adjusted the FI labels.
I went to mortgage and put $0 for 'Start Amount of Table' because I don't own a home hence no mortgage.
Now all of the NW tab has "#VALUE" in the colored columns, why is this so dependent on the mortgage tab?

What am I missing here?

If you don't own a home just put in $0 for the appraised value.  Put $0 for amount financed, 1 year and 1%.  Fill in $0 for Escrow and Extra Principal. Start month of table can be 1 and put $0 for amount financed.  That will give the other sheets a $0 dollar amount for the formulas to grab.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »

Do you have Use All-time set to TRUE on the FI sheet?  I think that takes care of that but you might need a years worth of data before it behaves better.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »
Hello again!
I have this working now --- yay
Just doing the investment tab today.. is something wrong with it?
Line 23 seems a little messed up in E, F and I and is affecting what I enter.. maybe the formula is in the wrong place ?

Glad you got it working!

Line 23 - 27 is a little different as it is an example of target retirement fund.  What it attempts to do is calculate what portion of fund is in each category so it gets represented up top correctly so you can see your asset ratio.

Do you have a target retirement fund or is it something else?

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »
I just have 3 different stocks/ bonds, in 3 different accounts, no target funds..
So do i just skip this line - if i delete it it goes haywire and sets everything else at zero.
Thanks!

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
I just have 3 different stocks/ bonds, in 3 different accounts, no target funds..
So do i just skip this line - if i delete it it goes haywire and sets everything else at zero.
Thanks!

Go to line 30 and left click the 30 to highlight the row. Copy that row and then go click line 24 to highlight it.  Under edit paste special click values only.  Now click select row 23 then edit then select Delete row 23.   Then also delete row 24, 25, 26,27.

See if that works for you.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2017, 02:39:02 PM »
Thank you thankyou, seems to work.
One last Q, sorry,
but i have one rogue fund that has no ticker, a stable asset.. do i just manually put it in there somehow?

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
Thank you thankyou, seems to work.
One last Q, sorry,
but i have one rogue fund that has no ticker, a stable asset.. do i just manually put it in there somehow?

Yes just manually put it in.  Make sure the column A has the correct label as that is how the formulas up top calculate your asset ratio.  Under column C you need to click on that box and look up top in the formula bar.  You will see this

=GOOGLEFINANCE(B30,"price")

Just delete the formula and enter the price of the stock.  Now you will update column C and column D manually each month.  You will give it the price of the stock and how many shares you own then column E will get calculated the same for the total value of that stock.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »
Thank you so much!!! You have been a great help and really appreciate it. Looks RAD!

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »
Thank you so much!!! You have been a great help and really appreciate it. Looks RAD!

You're welcome.  You'll be a spreadsheet pro before long!

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »
More dumb questions.  What is WR income?  on the dash, it's the blue line, which I understand to be my investment income, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what WR stands for.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »
More dumb questions.  What is WR income?  on the dash, it's the blue line, which I understand to be my investment income, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what WR stands for.

Withdrawal rate.  Based on what you put down for your % withdrawal rate and total investment.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »

Withdrawal rate.  Based on what you put down for your % withdrawal rate and total investment.

Ahhhhhhh. Thank you!

urmie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »

What am I missing here?

If you don't own a home just put in $0 for the appraised value.  Put $0 for amount financed, 1 year and 1%.  Fill in $0 for Escrow and Extra Principal. Start month of table can be 1 and put $0 for amount financed.  That will give the other sheets a $0 dollar amount for the formulas to grab.

Thanks, I did that (put 1/1/2017 as the start date), now in the NW tab Net Worth/Liquid/WR Income tabs just show "#VALUE!". I filled out the white area for following tabs: Income/Expenses, 401K, TIRA, Roth IRA, Taxable, then in Home Equity area, I just put in my current values for Checking and Savings accounts and then in Loan tab, put 0. 2/1/2017 has the current value of all my accounts.

However, the "Current Net Worth" (blue at the top) shows $426 in E column and $342 in F column. Huh? Why so low? Am I not doing something right?

Also in the monthly tabs, what are we supposed to put for the purple "Payroll Taxes"??
Where do I get this from? Taxes (% of gross) is showing "270829.79%". That can't be right.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2017, 03:29:17 PM »
The taxes you should be able to get from your paycheck stub.  They should be entered down at the bottom of each month under B69 - B74 and C, D etc depending on how many times you get paid.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
This is awesome!

I use YNAB to keep track of my everyday expenses so I have made this spreadsheet to fit our lifestyle. I'm assuming 'Use Budget' = true ignores every month sheet in the FI calculations. I cannot find any equations that use the month sheets; except rows > 61.

On sheet 'FI' I ignore every row after 61, since I use YNAB to track where our money goes. I entered our month expense from last year on cell C13 so it will calculate our monthly/yearly expenses. After entering our income/expense for this year; we have 14.85 years to FI. This matches up to the FIRE Calcs I used. Here's to hoping I can make it until 45 in the workforce.

Edit: I cannot wait till next year to see my progress :)

Zarakava

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2017, 07:09:28 AM »
I'm a little confused about this - I think mostly because I'm trying to start halfway through the year. I think what I'd do is at the beginning of April, put all my values in the NW tab, fill out the FI tab, blank out Jan-Mar, set Use Budget to true, and go from there?

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »
The Use Budget = True uses the white Budget column on the FI tab for the values in the FI calculation.  But if you have Use All-time set to True it really doesn't do anything besides update the calculations in the FI Sheet below the Spending Totals row. 

If you want to see what a set amount of spending will do to your FI date put your theoretical values in the white Budget column for what your average spending will be each month for each category.  Now set Use Budget = True and Use All-time = False.  Your FI calculation will now be based on your monthly spending that is in the budget column.  Put different values in the White budget column with the above settings and see how your FI date changes.

If you have Use All-time set to true the FI calculations are based on your average income and expenses from the NW sheet.  Basically cell E1 and F1.  E1 and F1 are calculated from the average of all the values below in the column on the NW sheet.  For you it is probably better to set Use All-time set to True since you don't have a full year of data. Of course turn the budget to false.

If you are starting in April the numbers are going to be skewed a little if you blank out Jan - Mar if you have Use All-time = False (along with the budget turned off) because it is using the average spending of all the months that have passed this year. Zeros in those months will make your average spending low.

The Use All-time was put in because as you use the spreadsheet year after year you lose the monthly spending each year.  So if you document your income and expenses each month on the NW sheet (note income and expenses always ride a month behind) then you get a bigger picture over time instead of just that year.  After you get a year or two of data in the NW sheet once you get into April or so you can turn Use All-time to False to see if you are doing better or worse this year compared to the average of all your data.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2017, 06:51:25 AM »
I'm a little confused about this - I think mostly because I'm trying to start halfway through the year. I think what I'd do is at the beginning of April, put all my values in the NW tab, fill out the FI tab, blank out Jan-Mar, set Use Budget to true, and go from there?

I just learned something.  I took "blank out" as putting zeros in which would skew the average.  If you actually put a blank in where the actual expenses would be for the past months it isn't calculated in the average.  I guess I never realized the sheet did it like that but not sure why I thought it was any different as it doesn't make sense.  I did notice you have to at least have data in one calculation for the sheet not to error.  Just make note the expenses calculation is one month behind so if you enter your expenses for March it won't be calculated in the average until April 1 and you will probably get a division by zero error if you blank out Jan - Mar and it isn't April yet. 

I hope that helps.  Let me know if you got other questions and we will get you going in the right direction.

BeardedBellyBastard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2017, 01:31:20 AM »
Whoa this is AWESOME. Thank you!

Califax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
Hi

I just started reading this blog and found this sheet. Is there any way to switch out the dollar sign for my own currency or nothing at all? (I live in Norway and we don't use dollars)

Thanks
Magnus

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
I just found this sheet and thread.  Looks great.
Question .. where do I enter existing retirement accounts?
I have a 401K, tIRA, and my wife has a 403B.

I also will have a pension and SS when I retire.  Do I factor that in anywhere?

Thx,
Rob

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »
Also, how do I input other debt such as car loans, student loans, credit cards, etc?

lamil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Also, how do I input other debt such as car loans, student loans, credit cards, etc?

I believe on the NW tab (the tab with all of the account totals that you update once a month). Far right has debts section.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »
OK, I see that now.  Thanks.

The income and expenses in the NW tab ... where do these come from?   Do I manually copy them from the monthly tabs?

lamil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2017, 01:59:03 PM »
OK, I see that now.  Thanks.

The income and expenses in the NW tab ... where do these come from?   Do I manually copy them from the monthly tabs?

Yup.

so my process is basically, track my budget in YNAB. at the end of the month, i copy my YNAB category totals to my monthly tab totals that are setup the same way.  When i get my paystub i put my paycheck in that monthly tab as well.

then at the end of the month I take the numbers from the top of the monthly tab and put them in the NW tab columns.  I also run down my personalcapital account list and update the other accounts in the NW tab.

KeyserSoze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
How would you edit this spreadsheet if you have a second mortgage?

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »
How would you edit this spreadsheet if you have a second mortgage?

If the first mortgage sheet works for you could copy that sheet for the second mortgage.  Then you would need to insert a row on the NW sheet and copy the formula from the Home equity column and update it so it looks at the new mortgage sheet.

Tomnomnom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2017, 03:14:26 PM »
Great Spreadsheet!

I'm working on set up right now but am curious what others have done if starting mid year? Do you go back and fill out all months or just wipe out certain cells in months that have already happened?

Thanks

mrdep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
Would be really useful to have conditional formatting for the monthly spending breakdowns on the FI sheet to be pegged to your set budget amounts.. like green if you were under and red if over.

thirsty_dursty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2017, 06:17:43 AM »
Hey all,

I just started using this sheets and have been messing around with it over the last few days. I feel like I understand almost everything but I am a little curious about the purpose of the Mint sheet. I use Mint to do my monthly budget and track my expenses. The Mint sheet just seems to be a little repetitive.

Love the sheet and thanks in advance for your responses.

UPDATE:
I never fully read the instructions provided so that explains my confusion. I think I figured it out and now it all makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:14:08 PM by thirsty_dursty »

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
Sounds like you got it.  I only use mint to track my day to day credit card charges as it is an easy place to put categories to spending on phone or computer.  Not bad for cash also but you have to remember to put it in.  At the end of the month it just helps to pull the spending for the month and get it broke down to categories in the sheet.  I know some people use it and others have deleted the sheet.

seannike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
Does the spreadsheet work in excel,=update- 
Love the spreadsheet,  thanks for sharing

Sean

z6_esb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
i like the new version but cannot figure out why the sum of G4:G10 is equal to unallocated cash.  how is that true?  it's allocated and subtracted from income.  to clarify, if I have my expenses exactly equal my income, the amount is $0 in the budgeted column and equal to G11.  If I have leftover (unallocated income), then that amount shows up in F14 and is added to G14.  I am very confused on that box(orange colored)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:34:29 PM by z6_esb »

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
i like the new version but cannot figure out why the sum of G4:G10 is equal to unallocated cash.  how is that true?  it's allocated and subtracted from income.  to clarify, if I have my expenses exactly equal my income, the amount is $0 in the budgeted column and equal to G11.  If I have leftover (unallocated income), then that amount shows up in F14 and is added to G14.  I am very confused on that box(orange colored)

Unallocated cash is equal to the income total minus savings (investment) total minus charity minus Necessary Expenses minus Discretionary Expenses minus Monthly Excess Expenses.  Unallocated cash can go negative if you spend more than you bring in that is left over after taxes etc.

z6_esb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
Unallocated cash is equal to the income total minus savings (investment) total minus charity minus Necessary Expenses minus Discretionary Expenses minus Monthly Excess Expenses.  Unallocated cash can go negative if you spend more than you bring in that is left over after taxes etc.

thanks!

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
Friendly reminder you don't need to request access to use the sheet.  Just hit the file menu option and select make a copy.  If you are logged in via your Google account you will save your own copy that you can edit as you like right in your Google drive.  That keeps the original as the generic master copy.  If there are updates it should shouldn't be hard to copy the difference from the master to your copy.

*typo correction
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:52:09 AM by wienerdog »

TheAverageSo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »
Hi all,

First time poster.  I downloaded this sheet not too long ago and have a question.  How come in the FI tab, for Withdrawl Rate%, when I lower the % my years to FI goes up.  Shouldn't it be opposite?  Please excuse my dumbness as I'm just trying to learn about FI.

mynewchoice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
Hi all,

First time poster.  I downloaded this sheet not too long ago and have a question.  How come in the FI tab, for Withdrawl Rate%, when I lower the % my years to FI goes up.  Shouldn't it be opposite?  Please excuse my dumbness as I'm just trying to learn about FI.

The reason it goes up is because you are not changing the amount of money you need per year, therefore to access the same annual amount for living expenses at a lower SWR% you need a larger pie of money.  As an example, assume you wanted to withdraw $100,000--at 4% you should have a nest egg of roughly $2.5MM, while at 3% you would need approximately $3.3MM.  I get the impression what you were after was a scenario where you say, using this example, I don't really need $100k per year, I only need $75k per year--for that you would need to alter your expenses as the spreadsheet takes the actual or budgeted expenses in the spreadsheet, and with that being constant the SWR% going down will make the total needed go up.

Does that make sense?

avocator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:23 AM »
Amazing spreadsheet, but I have three questions.

1) I paid off my car with some large payments.  The FI sheet is using those payments to calculate my FI timeline.  But since the car is paid off, those payments should not be included in the FI calculation.  How do I change that?

2) How do I account for deposits in investments?  I am thinking I would have to use the unallocated cash each month, and then update my NW tab with the investment totals.  Or do I log it in cell G6 (or 7,8,9, etc) so that it affects the unallocated cash balance?

3) How do I account for statement credits with credit cards?  Do I allocate that as extra income on the month's income entry?

Thanks in advance.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »
Amazing spreadsheet, but I have three questions.

1) I paid off my car with some large payments.  The FI sheet is using those payments to calculate my FI timeline.  But since the car is paid off, those payments should not be included in the FI calculation.  How do I change that?

That is one problem with the sheet.  It can only use history as an calculation for FI.  If you wait for a new year and start the new sheet with your new spending it will only look at that year if you have. Note you will have to use "Use all time" set to false on the FI sheet.  There are some other ways around it but it would need some formulas changed. I did this because for 2 months I spent more than double my normal spending so restore an older vehicle.

2) How do I account for deposits in investments?  I am thinking I would have to use the unallocated cash each month, and then update my NW tab with the investment totals.  Or do I log it in cell G6 (or 7,8,9, etc) so that it affects the unallocated cash balance?

The two numbers that really matter are your income after taxes (C11) and your expense (E1).  G5 - 10 and unallocated cash G14 just shows where the money is placed for that month.  If you didn't enter anything in G5- G11 and your expenses was smaller than your income then you will have allocated cash.  You are right the spreadsheet assumes you will save the allocated cash so at the beginning of the month update you NW tab with your investement totals and it will account for the money.  The money sheet just shows where it is at each month.

3) How do I account for statement credits with credit cards?  Do I allocate that as extra income on the month's income entry?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure why you would have that many statement credits but yea you could put it under monthly income so it gets figured in your FI calculations if you think it is going to be steady.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
Does anyone do Facebook that also belongs to the ChooseFI group?  It seems the Sheet got cross-posted over there and people keep asking for access to the master copy.  If you do belong could you post that all you have to do is File -> Make a Copy... to create your own editable copy then the master stays as is.  It is only to be a template.  There is no need to edit it unless someone finds a problem.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2017, 05:43:49 PM »
Does anyone do Facebook that also belongs to the ChooseFI group?  It seems the Sheet got cross-posted over there and people keep asking for access to the master copy.  If you do belong could you post that all you have to do is File -> Make a Copy... to create your own editable copy then the master stays as is.  It is only to be a template.  There is no need to edit it unless someone finds a problem.
Link to the FB group? I’m curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »
I assume it is this: https://www.choosefi.com/ In the upper right hand corner they have a Facebook group.  https://www.facebook.com/ChooseFi/

There has been a few people now requesting access to the Sheet which they don't need to use it.  I wish they would read the directions.  I guess they must have linked to it in their group.  Seem to be getting 1 or 2 requests to access the sheet every other week or so.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:35:00 AM by wienerdog »

MidwestSeth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
I don't know if I have thanked whoever made this sheet, but have been using this sheet for a year now and just....... THANK YOU!

Phillderness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
First off, thank you for sharing this.  It is ridiculously awesome.

I have a questions about the income section of the monthly sheets.  Can someone explain why C5 includes IRA/401k/HSA contributions as income? Why not just use net income.

Also I added to my spreadsheet sumif formula to each of the expense categories so I can keep a running tab each month (starts at row 115) of what my actual expenses are and have them auto fill.   

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fv5xEDJdzyHqmy_mA67PMJfEsuqzy1UB6mQOonIkyrM/edit?usp=sharing

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: December 18, 2017, 07:19:13 PM »
First off, thank you for sharing this.  It is ridiculously awesome.

I have a questions about the income section of the monthly sheets.  Can someone explain why C5 includes IRA/401k/HSA contributions as income? Why not just use net income.

Also I added to my spreadsheet sumif formula to each of the expense categories so I can keep a running tab each month (starts at row 115) of what my actual expenses are and have them auto fill.   

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fv5xEDJdzyHqmy_mA67PMJfEsuqzy1UB6mQOonIkyrM/edit?usp=sharing

Its been a while but those are added because it is needed to calculate your saving rate.  Anything beside taxes is calculated as income.  After removing all you expenses for the month what is left is your saving % compared to what you brought in.