Author Topic: One eco-friendly thing you did today  (Read 1885 times)

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
One eco-friendly thing you did today
« on: January 28, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »
I am trying to live a frugal and sustainable life. By creating this discussion we can inspire and encourage others to also live more green.

- Decided on having a date day with hubby. I wanted sushi to go and today we brought our own glass containers for storage. We also said no to chop sticks as we have them at home.

ponderous_tome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: One eco-friendly thing you did today
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
This thread is a great idea.

-Used my reusable grocery bags (I do this pretty much all the time, anyway)
-Reused some plastic clamshell fruit containers for starting my garden seedlings
-Filled up and brought my metal water bottle along for errands
-Dried towels on my drying rack
-Don't know if this can really be claimed as 'eco-friendly' but I've officially begun saving scraps for the worm bin I'll be constructing next weekend!

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:43 PM »
I unplugged my fridge again since it was mostly empty and the winter root vegetables in it can stand not being cold.

I had unplugged it a couple weeks ago for a ten-day trip so finished everything from it. I returned Monday, today is Saturday, and I've been eating what I cook fast enough or keeping it cool by the window that I hadn't needed to plug the fridge back in. I plugged it in this morning to refrigerate yesterday's stew, but ended up eating it all for lunch.

I also did my usual activities of picking up at least one piece of trash from the street and putting it in a trash can, avoiding packaged food, not eating animal products, avoiding cars and planes, and other lifestyle improvements.

The last time I had enough landfill garbage to empty down the trash chute was June 4, 2017. I might make a year before having to empty this load, though it's looking pretty full after nearly 10 months.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:19:01 PM by JoshuaSpodek »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 12:16:11 AM »
This thread already exists :-) link in my signature.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 06:49:53 PM »
Buried a mix of kitchen scraps, shredded paper, leaves and fireplace ash in my garden. We do this regularly, and the soil is much better now than when we bought this house. I don't bother 'composting' as this way is a lot simpler.
Sadly, it is at least another month before it will be warm enough to plant much of anything.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »
I didn't know there was a post already, how do you delete this?