Author Topic: OMG, just discovered Aldi's for food!  (Read 21196 times)

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
OMG, just discovered Aldi's for food!
« on: November 30, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »
Everything is at least a buck or more cheaper than regular market, at least.  I'm so thrilled!  A normal haul would be about $350 but was $200 with no skimping.  (Yes we spend a fortune on food, $300-350 a week at least for 2 adults and 2 teens, all very picky eaters and lazy as heck.)  A savings of 100-150 per week!  I am so happy right now!

moof

• Pencil Stache
Re: OMG, just discovered Aldi's for food!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 03:31:54 PM »
Picky AND lazy?  All 4 of you?!  Facepunch worthy

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »
Lol. Not me but facepunch is the story of my life so far. Found the site a month ago and have made big changes in car ins, health ins, cell phones, and now groceries. More to come.

DappleDoxieStaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:02:47 PM »
I do my main shopping once a month and Aldi's is a top stop for me!!  Greek yogurt, some of the fresh produce, canned goods, cheese, lunch meats, snacks, etc.
I shop in a circle for two other store's ads, Dollar Tree, Aldis, and a discount outlet grocery .... that has had a great brand of grain free (CostCo brand) dog food for 50% of what I usually pay.  Total score!!  Wal Mart is the very last stop on the circle ... but I rarely need to pop in for food items.  Love buying seasonal and sale items.  My chest freezer pays for itself!!!!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
Aldi is probably my favorite grocery store. I spent more money at Kroger this week because they had some really good coupons and sales, but I can usually get most of our groceries at Aldi. I have to eat gluten-free, and they're really good with labeling. Their gluten-free pasta is really good and reasonably priced.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 03:40:11 AM »
200 at Aldis would be like 3-4 shopping carts full ! haha

randomusername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 03:49:27 AM »
I too recently discovered the joys of Aldi!  We started shopping there a few months ago and now I'm totally hooked.  We have to drive an extra 30 minutes from our closest Wal-Mart, but it ends up working in our favor because we limit our shopping to about once a week (versus popping in every other day for "just a couple things").  I gasped the other day when I went into a different grocery store and saw milk was $2.50 a gallon.  The horror!  Aldi's are $.98.  We buy at least four gallons each time.  Grocery shopping went from $200-250 per week to $100-150 a week feeding a family of 5.  Still some trimming to do, but we're getting there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:51:26 AM by randomusername »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 04:23:27 AM »
Aldi is awesome. It's always my first stop grocery day. Unfortunately I still have to hit up Krogers for stuff I still cannot get at Aldi.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:13:46 PM by MasterStache »

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
Aldi

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »
I don’t think my car could fit $200 worth of food from Aldi.  I stop by Aldi at least once per week, as it’s directly between home and work.  Sometimes I have a few bags just stuffed with food and I expect the cashier to say the total is something like $100, but it’s always like $27 and I usually laugh out loud.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 07:12:18 PM »
I love Aldis too :) I used to think they were some expensive small chain and couldn't understand why people kept talking about it here. Then I finally went in one day and am a convert. DH still likes Kroger better though - he loves the discount aisle there.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »
I love Aldis too :) I used to think they were some expensive small chain and couldn't understand why people kept talking about it here. Then I finally went in one day and am a convert. DH still likes Kroger better though - he loves the discount aisle there.

Kroger has great sales. I could probably get at least 95% of our groceries between Aldi and Kroger at very decent prices.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 07:45:46 PM »
We've been shopping Aldi since the 1980s.  I almost can't bring myself to shop at a normal grocery store.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »
We've been shopping Aldi since the 1980s.  I almost can't bring myself to shop at a normal grocery store.

I wish Aldi stocked gin, peppermint tea bags, big bottles of vinegar, and my favorite gluten-free flour. If they did, I’d have almost no reason to shop elsewhere.

Currently drinking a very decent French rosé wine purchased at Aldi for $7.49. It would be at least twice that at another store.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 10:28:14 PM »

I wish Aldi stocked gin, peppermint tea bags, big bottles of vinegar, and my favorite gluten-free flour. If they did, I’d have almost no reason to shop elsewhere.

Currently drinking a very decent French rosé wine purchased at Aldi for $7.49. It would be at least twice that at another store.

My Aldi stores just started in the last month stocking big bottles of vinegar ($2.39/gal), and have peppermint, camomile and green teas available about 4 times a year (it's a special buy, so you stock up when they hit).

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
Ha.  Yes it is Aldi, not Aldi's.  No "s".

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
We took a look at our local Aldi this week, and I did find a couple of very well priced items there. However, I couldn't do my weekly shopping there. The store we went too was pretty small so there wasn't a great range of food. I don't know if they are all like that or not though. That said, I have a lot of food allergies, and I was quite impressed with their line of foods that are gluten free/no added crap. I think it's somewhere I'd go every now and again to get specific things that are cheaper than elsewhere (avocado oil was nearly half the price of other stores, so it was worth it just for that).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »
Aldi stores do vary in size and selection. The one nearest my house is very small and great for basics, but I prefer the larger stores a few miles further out if I need to do a bigger shopping. If you don't do a lot of from-scratch cooking, Aldi may not work as well for you. Most of what I purchase is dairy products, fresh and frozen vegetables, fresh and deli meats, and things like pasta, dried beans, and canned tomatoes.

I have celiac disease, and I can confirm that the brown rice and quinoa gluten-free pasta is an excellent product at a bargain price. Ditto for the grass-fed ground beef and cartons of organic chicken broth.

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »
We get most of our vegetables and misc supplies from Aldi.

Never meat though. We've been there three separate times when the entire meat display smelled rotten. Just rotten. But that's okay, since we butcher twice a year. But man, I'm leery of their meat department.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
We get most of our vegetables and misc supplies from Aldi.

Never meat though. We've been there three separate times when the entire meat display smelled rotten. Just rotten. But that's okay, since we butcher twice a year. But man, I'm leery of their meat department.

I would complain to corporate about that because it might be a problem with management of that store. I’ve bought meat at two local Aldi stores and have never had a problem. We just cooked a pot roast from Aldi yesterday. It was good meat at a full dollar cheaper per pound than the local big-box discount store price.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:39 PM »
I buy meat from Aldi and haven't had a problem. Seems exactly the same to me as every other grocery store meat department. But I am not hugely discriminating so maybe there's signs/smells I don't notice.

We mostly buy eggs, milk, frozen chicken tenderloins, any fresh meat on sale, butter, cream cheese, and a variety of products from their Simple Truth brand (I am obsessed with their original BBQ sauce). I also like their non-food aisle. Always interesting products at reasonable prices.

And they have just as good a return policy as Costco. I like knowing I can have confidence in the prodycts I buy there. And if it disappoints me, they just guve me my cash back.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 11:27:22 PM »
I've never had any issues with the meat department, and I tend to purchase their almost expiring marked-way-down meat. So far have purchased and greatly enjoyed cube steaks, pork tenderloin, chicken breasts/wings, Angus chuck roast, smoked salmon, brauts, sausage, ground beef and organic grass fed ground beef.

Agree if there is something weird or gross with a specific store, should be reported to the corporate. They don't mess around.

And also they revised their return policy recently in my region; it may be national. Used to be no questions asked, no receipt required - you bought an Aldi product you didn't like, you get a new product even if you used up all of it (returned the package) AND your money back. But apparently they were being robbed blind by people cheating (I imagine you could have abused the system buy things on clearance and/or return for full price and new stuff after eating most all of the product).

So now their return policy requires a receipt to get a new product and what you paid back if you're unhappy with the product. Without receipt, no cash back, just an exchange, and non-Aldi brands MUST have a receipt or no return at all.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:35:52 PM by Frankies Girl »

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 12:43:18 AM »
Everything is at least a buck or more cheaper than regular market, at least.
That's my favorite thing about Aldi. You don't have to look for anything on sale. Everything is already on sale. You just pick up what you need.

And there's a reason they can keep prices that low :)

1. "Coin operated" shopping carts, all customers do carts on their own. No employee time is used collecting carts in the parking lot.
2. There are very few employees per store, because each employee is very efficient, always doing something. They're also paid very well. $14/hour and excellent benefits in my area, including full health insurance coverage.
3. Aldi has its own brands. I.e. Happy Farms. Keeps costs down.
4. Each item has several barcodes for quick scanning. This is how the cashiers are able to scan things several times faster than any other grocery store. Also, they have a pre-swipe feature where you can pre-pay for your items by swiping your card, and get charged when everything is rang up.

I love Aldi!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 05:07:42 AM »
+1 on reporting any problems/complaints to Aldi corporate.  They are ULTRA responsive.  I had just one complaint -- years ago.  It was dealt with promptly, and they sent an entire case of the item to us for free as an apology.  Great customer service. 

Love Aldi.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 06:51:02 AM »

And they have just as good a return policy as Costco. I like knowing I can have confidence in the prodycts I buy there. And if it disappoints me, they just guve me my cash back.

Our Aldi requires reciepts for all returns now; so I'd say their policy is a giant pain in the butt like every other grocery store.

They used to be amazing about returns.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
The couple of returns we've had have been so smooth and quick I was pleasantly surprised.

Our closest Aldi has a great meat department and I love their Wednesday fresh meat and fish specials. However, their fruits and veggies do tend to be iffy - sometimes they are great and sometimes they are past their prime. I think I will complain to the manager next time, because it didn't used to be that way.
Great cheese and bread selection, great gluten-free selection and I always love their weekly imported food specials and household specials.

Can't beat their prices on basics and it is nice to save money and still be offered a variety of rotating weekly specials, so you are not stuck buying the same package of frozen peas every week, but can choose seasonal fresh frozen fruit and veggies, even prepared dishes at a good price.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 01:36:26 PM »
Been buying groceries there for about a month now.  My biggest problem is convincing the wife to just go to Aldi - she still defaults to the regular grocery store since she's more comfortable there.  Yes, there are items that Aldi doesn't carry, but we keep facing the situation where I'll pick up most of the groceries at Aldi for $50-75, and then she'll have to go to the store to grab one or two more items and somehow spend $150-200.  I keep telling myself that it's a process. 

Really, we're feeling out which products we're perfectly happy with from Aldi, and making sure to substitute those in.  We have found some items that we're (mostly the kids) not quite ok with the substitute.  So far, the naughty list is:

Large sandwich rolls
Cool ranch Doritos (we don't really buy these anyway); other chips have mostly been fine
Mini muffins
Frozen corn dogs

The 'nice' list is much longer, and sometimes we're even preferring the Aldi version to the expensive brand name.

apkanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »
I just did a huge meal prep and almost everything i needed was at Aldi, first time shopping there. What they didn't have was Ricotta cheese, bay leaves, and some spice i never heard of before, and single produce items. The no single produce is such a bummer, no way do i need a whole bag of onions, and didnt see anything individually set out, but maybe it was gone? I'll definitely be shopping there first from now on, maybe dropping 'wants' from the list they don't carry since they had all the basics I could ever need.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 05:45:02 AM »
I actually just discovered Aldi's in the last 2 months myself. Speaking to a friend who was popping off about the place I decided to give it a try. Well, I've not stepped foot into Kroger since! Aldi is saving me hundreds and its setup to support almost 100% of my needs. The quality of most of the food is where I want it to be as well.

Funny to stumble on this post when I have been talking to friends about this, making fun of myself on how excited I am to have changed grocery stores. I just turned 40, this is how it is now... haha

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2018, 06:07:03 AM »
I bought american cheese and my husband and son discovered when making burgers that the slices were not individually wrapped!  I laughed and laughed!  It was 2 bucks cheaper than the regular kind or more.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 06:15:13 AM »
I bought american cheese and my husband and son discovered when making burgers that the slices were not individually wrapped!  I laughed and laughed!  It was 2 bucks cheaper than the regular kind or more.

Did you buy the Happy Farms American Cheese Slices that come in the 16 slice pack? They are usually right next to the Kraft slices - similar colors (blue package graphics) and are the little square package type. They do sell the thicker fancy sliced cheeses in the resealable zippy bags that are just sort of staggered on top of each other, so I assume that's the type you got.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:24:05 AM by Frankies Girl »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 07:58:06 AM »
Their candy through the holiday season is wonderful--all kinds of European stuff--great for hostess gifts, stocking stuffers for kids, just for eating yourself...oink, oink, oink. I made a special trip to Aldi just before Thanksgiving solely for purchasing candy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
Their candy through the holiday season is wonderful--all kinds of European stuff--great for hostess gifts, stocking stuffers for kids, just for eating yourself...oink, oink, oink. I made a special trip to Aldi just before Thanksgiving solely for purchasing candy.

They are so fun during the holidays. I have to restrain myself from buying ALL the smoked salmon and fancy cheeses.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
  So far, the naughty list is:

Cool ranch Doritos (we don't really buy these anyway); other chips have mostly been fine

The nacho Doritos are equally disgusting

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
  So far, the naughty list is:

The nacho Doritos are equally disgusting

You must have gotten a bad bag... we've had Aldi's nacho cheese chips several times and they were the same as the Doritios brand.

idempotent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 12:01:17 PM »
The selection is not great.  My past few trips to Aldi I have been frustrated by a lack of yeast (only sold in expensive single packets), eggplant (sort of understandable but most stores stock it), and bell peppers. 

Quality has not been great.  Pork rinds are half the price of my local grocery store, but the texture is off.  I stopped by to get some berries on sale and none of them were fresh.

If I did not have a Costco membership it would be worth stopping by to load up on meat and certain staples.

jb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »
Just like "Target" and "Barnes & Noble" or "Nordstrom," there's no "s" at the end.

Just ALDI

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2018, 06:05:55 PM »
Just like "Target" and "Barnes & Noble" or "Nordstrom," there's no "s" at the end.

Just ALDI

The story behind the Michigan "s"

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 06:25:43 PM »

Just ALDI

Also from Michigan... I shop at Aldis first then Meijers hahaha

jb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »

Just ALDI

Cool story! My mom always called it "Penny's" as well, she and my grandma were from Montana, so it happens out there too.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »

Just ALDI

You'll probably also enjoy the Michigan Native site, although they excluded "ope" from their list.

jb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »

Just ALDI

You'll probably also enjoy the Michigan Native site, although they excluded "ope" from their list.

Ha! Ope is a big Minnesota one. I didn't even realize it until a local brewery (Surly, awesome beer!) posted a "translation" article for visitors to the Super Bowl last February. I then realized I'd been saying it for years here in MN. https://surlybrewing.com/welcome-to-minnesota-a-primer/

WannaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 06:11:27 PM »
I love Aldi, but I haven't managed to get my wife to start shopping there. It's a work in progress.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »

Just ALDI

Ha! Ope is a big Minnesota one. I didn't even realize it until a local brewery (Surly, awesome beer!) posted a "translation" article for visitors to the Super Bowl last February. I then realized I'd been saying it for years here in MN. https://surlybrewing.com/welcome-to-minnesota-a-primer/

I think Ope is an upper Midwest thing. Eminem is from Michigan, and in Lose Yourself, he definitely says "and now it's back to reality, ope there goes gravity." Now that I'm aware of it, I catch myself saying it ALL the time.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2018, 05:07:57 AM »

Just ALDI

Cool story! My mom always called it "Penny's" as well, she and my grandma were from Montana, so it happens out there too.

The "s" is alive and well in Iowa too.  Many (most?) people say "Penny's", "Aldi's" etc.  It's a dialect thang.

And laughing so hard about the 'Ope' -- I've said that my whole life . . . definitely an upper midwest thing
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:34:38 AM by Trifele »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2018, 04:01:27 AM »
I love Aldi, but I haven't managed to get my wife to start shopping there. It's a work in progress.

There is a "shadow" of sorts over Aldi's some people just have this bad image of it. Being honest I was one of them only because of ignorance. After the first time I decided to check one out i have never looked back. I do find though they are growing quickly at least by me and there prices are rising quicker on alot of things then the other stores around me but overall still much cheaper consistently as opposed to the other stores having to have a sale on an item.

lbonga1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
I'm trying Aldi for the first time today. The store is not very close by, and as a single mom, I have to take 3 young kids grocery shopping with me, so I didn't want to attempt a new store. But Aldi was recently added as an option for Instacart so I decided to try it out. I signed up for a try of Instacart Express, so the delivery was free, and the amount I saved more than covered the couple dollars for tip. Delivery should be here in about an hour, so I'll see how the quality is then :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »

There is a "shadow" of sorts over Aldi's some people just have this bad image of it. Being honest I was one of them only because of ignorance. After the first time I decided to check one out i have never looked back. I do find though they are growing quickly at least by me and there prices are rising quicker on alot of things then the other stores around me but overall still much cheaper consistently as opposed to the other stores having to have a sale on an item.

I think part of it is the store brand products. Even at Costco you have a choice between Kirkland or name brand. For most things at Aldi you have to get store brand.