Author Topic: Nobody else at work wants to do it? Idiots.  (Read 12936 times)

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
Nobody else at work wants to do it? Idiots.
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
Not the biggest or most exciting thing in the world, but I'm chuckling...

One of the cool little perks at my job is that the owner lets us keep a well-stocked kitchen on the company dime. Largely just snack food in the cupboards, cookies/crackers/chips/etc., but from time to time we'll have a veggie tray or a cheese platter. There's this woman, K, who's been running over to the grocery store every week for 20+ years to get all this food and keep us supplied. Not part of her job or anything, it's just an extra responsibility she picked up for the overall benefit of the office. As she's getting closer to retirement age, though, she's starting to dump those extra responsibilities. So the kitchen's been pretty empty lately - Not a big deal, but kind of a bummer.

I was talking to another coworker today and found out that apparently NOBODY else wants to take it on, despite everyone being bummed about it. One person was even looking into paying Peapod to deliver groceries to us every week. Well that's stupid. I volunteered to handle it instead. K walked up later to hand over her list of everything she normally buys, explaining that X, Y, and Z are important because [reasons]. Then she tells me that she normally spends ~$150/week, and I'll be good as long as I keep it roughly in that range.

So starting Monday, I get to take a break from my desk every week to bike over to the grocery store 1 mile away, enjoy fresh air and exercise on company time, pick out delicious food, be fully reimbursed, and then earn an extra $35/month on my 6% cashback Amex for my "effort."

Now I'm just trying to figure out why nobody else wanted to do this. More exercise, more food, and a little extra money in my pocket? I don't see a downside.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
Re: Nobody else at work wants to do it? Idiots.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
That's a pretty awesome win for you! Congrats!

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »
They are all focused on climbing the corporate ladder

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
Cooool! I totally would too, if we had an arrangement like that.

A few years decades ago I worked in a senior capacity in a small business where we used towels and other washable linens. The quantity of items and level of soiling didn't justify using a commercial laundry service and a staff member's daughter used to do our laundry every weekend for cash in hand. Then she got a proper job and didn't want to continue doing the laundry. Nobody else in-house wanted the job either, so I took it on, for the same net sum but costing the business more because tax had to be paid on it.

I'd do the same again, but now we have to have single-use disposable everything.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »
Nice deal. And now the kitchen will be stocked with things YOU like.

The only comparable thing I have like this is I take home the non-deposit bearing recycling. Our cleaning company gets things with the deposits, I just get the nice feeling of keeping the rest out of the landfill.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 01:05:42 AM »
Soo many plus points AND choice of food!!

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 08:20:59 AM »
We have something like that.  On the company's dime, we keep candy, coffee, tea, granola bars, and other snack-like foods in the break room.  When it runs out, nobody seems to want the task of restocking, yet they moan about the snack area being empty.

I will sometimes go WalMart using the company's card to pick up these items.  I can get the kind of snacks I like and not pay for it (perk #1).   I add the time spent shopping to my timesheet (perk #2).  And since I have a price comparison app on my phone, I get the difference sent to my 'comparison account' as actual cash (if there is  cheaper price in other local stores) that I get to spend on my personal shopping (perk #3).

So I usually don't mind taking care of this task.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »
The biggest benefit IMO is being able to pick the snacks you want to eat.

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
I would do this in heartbeat if I had the opportunity.

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 12:49:16 PM »
We have something like that.  On the company's dime, we keep candy, coffee, tea, granola bars, and other snack-like foods in the break room.  When it runs out, nobody seems to want the task of restocking, yet they moan about the snack area being empty.

I will sometimes go WalMart using the company's card to pick up these items.  I can get the kind of snacks I like and not pay for it (perk #1).   I add the time spent shopping to my timesheet (perk #2).  And since I have a price comparison app on my phone, I get the difference sent to my 'comparison account' as actual cash (if there is  cheaper price in other local stores) that I get to spend on my personal shopping (perk #3).

So I usually don't mind taking care of this task.

What app is that?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
In my career, I was always looking for things to do that were different, just to mix things up a little. I got to do a lot of fun  stuff that way. Bonus was that as a result, I sometimes gained insight into upcoming events before the pack, which was occasionally quite useful.

Getting to control what comes in + getting out of the office + perks from using your own CC? Wins, one and all.

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Sounds like a good task to have picked up. As you say, some free exercise, a bit of cashback as well. The only consideration would be if you worked for a company where productivity/billable hours was measured and controlled tightly, a task like this that most companies would class as admin/overhead could make your performance look slightly less good. Hopefully your work's management are a bit smarter than that.

As to why other colleagues wouldn't want the work, I don't know. General lack of desire to have any (additional) responsibility? Afraid to stand out or volunteer for anything? Prefer to sit on rear all day than move about a bit?

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »
Any time you get to leave work and be paid for it, I consider the best time. Plus bonus snacks! Good for you!!

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
For the person who asked "what app"..... It's WalMart's Saving Catcher.  WalMart is the only BIG choice for shopping locally in our rural area.  You use the app to 'capture' a picture of the cash register tape after you check out.  It compares the products you just bought to other local grocers/dollar stores/etc.   If they find a lower price, you get the difference to use in the future.  It accumulates over time.

Yes, I understand that by doing this, WalMart knows exactly what I purchase.  But I'm not kidding myself that they don't already track it when I use my debit/credit card anyway.  I think this app replaces a price-matching system they had before where you had to bring in an advertisement from a competitor to show the lower price.

I have accumulated a nice little sum of money to be used in the future.  Works for me.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »
For the person who asked "what app"..... It's WalMart's Saving Catcher.  WalMart is the only BIG choice for shopping locally in our rural area.  You use the app to 'capture' a picture of the cash register tape after you check out.  It compares the products you just bought to other local grocers/dollar stores/etc.   If they find a lower price, you get the difference to use in the future.  It accumulates over time.

Yes, I understand that by doing this, WalMart knows exactly what I purchase.  But I'm not kidding myself that they don't already track it when I use my debit/credit card anyway.  I think this app replaces a price-matching system they had before where you had to bring in an advertisement from a competitor to show the lower price.

I have accumulated a nice little sum of money to be used in the future.  Works for me.

I once purchased an item in store with the same credit card that I used on the walmart.com website and suddenly I was getting emails from walmart.com advertising for the product I purchased and related items a few days later.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »

I once purchased an item in store with the same credit card that I used on the walmart.com website and suddenly I was getting emails from walmart.com advertising for the product I purchased and related items a few days later.
I'll never understand why places advertise the exact thing you just bought.  Or Amazon's "things you might be interested in."  Yes, I liked that new air filter for my car so much that I want to buy a different, similar air filter for a different, similar car that I don't have.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »
If ponyboy were in your shoes he would help myself to a few things each week.  You should be rewarded other than the cashback on your credit card. 

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »
If ponyboy were in your shoes he would help myself to a few things each week.  You should be rewarded other than the cashback on your credit card. 

Oh, trust me, I'm tempted...

Damn moral code keeps getting in the way and ruining all my fun, though.

They are all focused on climbing the corporate ladder

+1

I wouldn't do this for the shear optics of it: I don't want to look like the lowly gopher. It'd hurt raise and promotion potential.

Were I back at a more corporate company, I'd definitely be reconsidering for exactly that reason... but this isn't the type of place where sharks work. I wouldn't be on this forum during the workday if it was ;)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
BADASS!!
Goes to show, mustachians really are swimming against the current...
Swim on!!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
It's all in the attitude!  I wouldn't have wanted the job either until fairly recently. 
I work on an industrial campus with meetings in other buildings, etc.  I always have to walk to another building for meetings because that is where the upper management is and god help them have to walk anywhere.  It's always been kind of a pain for me to stop what I'm doing, leave 15 minutes early to walk over and I sort of resented it.  But I recently changed my attitude to be grateful that I get the chance to get a little exercise during the day, and get paid for it.  Now I volunteer to take things upstairs or to meet them at their office on a moment's notice!  Much better attitude and much better results. 

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
Amazing! So you get $150/week of your favourite snacks stocked up? Best deal ever. Even if you have to budget $50/week to the crowd pleasers

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.LiveBreathEatKeto.com
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »
Score ! And you get to pick out the food. Can't beat that.

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »
I have this exact responsibility at work too! I'm rolling in credit card rewards... :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 04:25:19 AM »
I wouldn't do this for the shear optics of it: I don't want to look like the lowly gopher. It'd hurt raise and promotion potential.
Hint: So does poor spelling and word usage.

shear - (verb)
1. cut the wool off (a sheep or other animal).
    - cut off (something such as hair, wool, or grass), with scissors or shears.
          "I'll shear off all that fleece"
    - have something cut off.
          "They were shorn of their hair"
2. break off or cause to break off, owing to a structural strain.
"the derailleur sheared and jammed in the rear wheel"

opˇtics (noun)
1. the scientific study of sight and the behavior of light, or the properties of transmission and deflection of other forms of radiation.
2. NORTH AMERICAN (typically in a political context) the way in which an event or course of action is perceived by the public.
"the issue itself is secondary to the optics of the Democrats opposing this administration in a high-profile way"

I have this exact responsibility at work too! I'm rolling in credit card rewards... :)
Well, I sure know which one of these people I'd promote.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »

Seriously, "he who controls the stockpile, controls the office; muhhahaha."

"Oh, you want what snack? I will probably have an easier time remembering if your part of the report is completed before I make my run to the store."

Yeah, I would do this in a heartbeat.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »

"Oh, you want what snack? I will probably have an easier time remembering if your part of the report is completed before I make my run to the store."

Yeah, I would do this in a heartbeat.
Heh, I like the way you think.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 02:31:44 AM »
the first thing I thought as i was reading this was "you gotta get the AMEX card and get free %6 cash back at the grocery store!"

then you mentioned it immediately after that. mustachian minds think alike.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
I do this too and don't mind at all.  I get the CC rewards, and get to choose the snacks (I alternate based on what's on sale, and what actually gets eaten).  I usually do it when I do my own shopping though (work on a huge hill).  Do not underestimate the mighty power of getting to choose the snacks.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »
Here's how some people will look at such an "opportunity":

1. It's more stuff to do.
2. It won't reduce the amount of work you already have to do.
3. It won't increase the time you have to get your already considerable workload done.
4. It's not something that's going to make your resume stand out above others for promotions/raises/your next job.
5. The company isn't really paying you to do it, and at $150/week, a 6% cash back is getting a whopping $9 and most people are probably getting less than 6% cash back on their groceries.
6. Your boss(es) know that every week you're taking time out of your day to do non-productive stuff during working hours and probably not making up that lost production time.

So, $9/week gets you less time to get your job done while still having the same amount of work to do AND there's a chance that the higher ups will think you do this just to avoid doing regular work and wonder if you're being as productive as you could/should be which could inhibit your chances at good reviews/internal promotions in the future. Oh, and you get to pick out the snacks and walk/bike a little more during working hours.

So I guess I could see a perception/attitude where such an "opportunity" could be viewed negatively.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:49:32 AM by jlcnuke »

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 06:11:23 AM »
Hint: So does poor spelling and word usage.

shear - (verb)
1. cut the wool off (a sheep or other animal).
    - cut off (something such as hair, wool, or grass), with scissors or shears.
          "I'll shear off all that fleece"
    - have something cut off.
          "They were shorn of their hair"
2. break off or cause to break off, owing to a structural strain.
"the derailleur sheared and jammed in the rear wheel"

opˇtics (noun)
1. the scientific study of sight and the behavior of light, or the properties of transmission and deflection of other forms of radiation.
2. NORTH AMERICAN (typically in a political context) the way in which an event or course of action is perceived by the public.
"the issue itself is secondary to the optics of the Democrats opposing this administration in a high-profile way"

Awesome response.

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 01:16:38 PM »

Great point, just a slightly different twist on it: A little attention to people's likes and dislikes could garner a huge amount of goodwill around the office. "I know you like that brand of tea Jenny, so I picked some up for the break room."

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
I would jump at the opportunity to do this task, even on my own time, for all the store reward points I would accumulate.

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
I would do that in a heartbeat! Jealous!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2017, 05:47:20 AM »
A zillion years ago I was in an apprenticeship program in the building trades. It was tradition that you were basically a "waitress" serving morning break coffee and donuts, when you were the lowest paid helper in the crew. It didn't take me long to figure out that it was a great gig. You would drop whatever menial task you were doing, about 30-45 minutes before break and walk the whole job, searching for fellow employees. Then you would ask what they wanted, and be given cash, plus a tip. Usually at least one guy  would tip you enough to cover your coffee and donut. Next it was off to the donut shop for a massive order. It was common to wrap up the morning run with a paid coffee and donut, AND at least half an hour's wage in your pocket. One job got to the point that there were about 25 employees on the job and I set up a commercial coffee urn and bought two dozen donuts a morning. That gig was paying 1 to 1-1/2 hours a day, in cash.  So, being the "coffee boy" got you 3-4 hours a week of being paid to stroll the job and socialize, while collecting orders, and  2 to 6, or more, times your hourly rate in cash evry week, PLUS  paid food every morning.

The odd part of this, is as the years rolled by, assigning a coffee boy became more of an issue. It was common for new kids to balk at being somebody's waitress, since it was beneath them. On several occasions I watched it turn into a pissing contest, as new helpers flat out told their bosses, "I'm not your bitch, if you don't like it send me back to the union hall".  I just laughed. The same kid probably spent a thousand hours of his life hanging with his crew, walking around, socializing. But, when somebody asked you to do it, pays you, then gives you an opportunity to enjoy a nice weekly side hustle, you're too proud.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:49:06 AM by paddedhat »

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
I often am the person who makes huge 110 cup pots of coffee using the commercial machines we have here at work for training events and such. It's really easy and it's just another thing to keep me busy so I'm OK with it. One of my coworkers came up to me while I was filling the tank up and he laughed at me saying something like "So you make the coffee too?" like it was beneath me, or at least him. Basically laughing at me for doing it. I said "You look at it like is a burden or measly chore, but, do you have any idea how much money they pay me every day? I get paid to make this coffee... During this moment, I'm the highest paid barista in the country..."

He kind of turned his head and understood how differently we look at things. Makes me smile every time I fill that pot.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:01:52 AM by 401Killer »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!