Author Topic: no more expensive leg waxing  (Read 12002 times)

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
no more expensive leg waxing
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »
hi everyone, first time post here.  I've been reading for a while and felt I didn't have much to say since my savings rate until now has been abysmal. then I remembered one of my biggest money saving tips, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it as the equivalent to MMM's electric shaver (unless I missed it somewhere): 
http://www.braun.com/us/female-grooming/silk-epil-epilators/silk-epil-epilators-comparison.html

epilating is like waxing, just a little more slow and not quite as effective.  waxing feels like pulling a bandaid off fast, epilating is pulling it off more slowly.  It hurts a lot in the beginning, but I eventually got used to it and now it only stings a little.

I used an older Braun model for 15 years, then last year got a new model; the old one works fine still, it is just less efficient..  probably any brand is fine, but this is the only one I've used.  I've been using it for my legs forever, I do it once or twice a month and it is almost as good as waxing.  sometimes it breaks the hairs instead of pulling them out completely, so there may be a little stubble.  But here's the badass part:  for the past year I've also been doing underarm and brazilian areas.  It took a while to get used to it, but now I do it about twice a week since it's faster and less painful that way.

getting the full deal done at a local spa can cost $150 or more every 3-5 weeks.  buying wax and doing it yourself is a lot cheaper, but the costs add up.

you can read many reviews on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Braun-SE-5180-Epilator-Glove/product-reviews/B004QI271W/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

some people find that it doesn't work or causes ingrown hairs, but I haven't had these problems. 

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: no more expensive leg waxing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:20:43 PM »
next up for badassity is conquering my 46 mile commute with a bike.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »
Any advice on the matter for dudes? I've been thinking of doing it for years for triathlon training, but ended up chickening out every time. Swimmers usually just use a slightly used cartridge rasor, so that the blades aren't quite as sharp. They shave everything below the knee and above the waistline but nothing in between because the swim shorts cover the area. Really funny look in the bedroom.

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »
It would be very painful to epilate long hair all at once.  The trick would be to shave or wax the area first, then run the epilator over the area every other day to catch the few hairs that grow.  Then you could slowly cut back the frequency.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
I was just thinking about this same thing this weekend. I saw a commercial for something called NoNo (?) that is supposed to do something similar.

After my back surgery, I did leg waxing out of necessity since my husband sucked at shaving my legs (we tried that first) and I couldn't bend over to do it myself. Now that I've been in physical therapy for about 4 months, I can shave my own legs again, but I have to admit I did prefer the waxing. I didn't prefer the expense.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to sub out the bikini wax with the braun, though.

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »
I definitely wouldn't recommend the nono!  it costs close to $300, and most people don't think it works.  It supposedly decreases hair growth by sending some thermal pulse into the skin.  the epilator is much cheaper, pulls the hair out by the root, the hair that grows back is usually a little thinner, and they don't market it as something that removes hair permanently.  Just be sure to hold the skin taught while doing it, and exfoliate regularly.  And the bikini area feels like nothing once you've done the brazilian.  (sorry if tmi)

It really can save a ton of money if you're paying for waxing, and I think it's saved me a lot of money on razors over the years.  I never buy any now.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »
Any advice on the matter for dudes? I've been thinking of doing it for years for triathlon training, but ended up chickening out every time. Swimmers usually just use a slightly used cartridge rasor, so that the blades aren't quite as sharp. They shave everything below the knee and above the waistline but nothing in between because the swim shorts cover the area. Really funny look in the bedroom.

Shave. It's not that hard or time consuming, and chances are you won't do it enough times that one of those hair tuggers (looks awfully uncomfortable...) would be cost-saving. If you have a Universal Mens' Grooming Device handy, give yourself a run with that first so you don't clog up your razor too badly with the long hairs. Soap (or just plain water) in the shower should be enough slipperiness to avoid irritation; the rest of your body is a whole lot tougher than your face and shaving cream is way overkill. A dull razor is fine (again because your legs/torso really can't tell the difference) but I find a sharp one makes the whole process a little quicker, and since blades for my safety razor are like $0.05 I pitch the dull ones as soon as I notice them start to drag.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »
And the bikini area feels like nothing once you've done the brazilian.  (sorry if tmi)

I don't know the meaning of TMI. I still think I'll stick to the waxing for my bikini area. I'm a tiny landing strip gal and I don't think I could maneuver myself with the Braun to get it all.

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
It's doable with some practice, but you might want to get the legs down first.  I'm a tiny landing strip or completely bare gal (yikes!! really TMI now).

Shaving is fine, but overall I prefer waxing or epilating because it is smoother and longer lasting.  Shaving also seems to make my hair grow thicker.  I would probably shave if I had a beard though.

sorry, TMI is Too Much Info

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
sorry, TMI is Too Much Info

Okay, that's funny and what happens in a forum. I know what TMI stands for, I just have no problem sharing. :)

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »
I would prefer a permanent solution.  Has anyone tried a home system for laser or electrolysis?

MafiaPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 08:55:14 PM »
My long hair community swears by the tria for home laser.

I've gotten a few wagjag/ groupon deals and done brazillian, underarms, and lower legs with IPL.  While there is less hair everywhere I've had done.. and done it all 6-16 times.. Being a dark redhead it'll apparently never get better than this.. 

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
Great, now I have something else I want to buy!

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 05:55:13 AM »
I've done IPL and noticed no difference after a year.  Friends who did the real laser have had good results (like not needing to shave at all after a year), but I don't want to spend the money on it at this point even with the groupons.

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 08:49:52 AM »
Any advice on the matter for dudes? I've been thinking of doing it for years for triathlon training, but ended up chickening out every time.
As others have suggested, grooming device/clippers to get most of it off, then an older razor. I always use soap for lubrication anyhow. Really only worth it for races. But when it grows back in you will need some serious pumice stone work to avoid ingrown hairs and the like.

Since part of the point is massage without ripping out your hair (not to mention not having the hem of your shorts tug at your hair), I don't see the sense of skipping the thighs.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »
I don't mean to threadjack, but I have to ask: why is it advised around here for guys to use razors instead of electric shavers? I used my previous electric shaver (a gift from my parents) for 10 years without feeling it necessary to replace the blade, and only got rid of it because the battery completely died and it was poorly designed such that it wouldn't work while plugged in. The new one I bought (for $15 on sale) does work while plugged in, so I expect it to last essentially forever.

Even cheap regular safety razors would be more expensive in comparison, would they not?

Incidentally, I'm glad for this thread -- this sounds like a good alternative to safety razors for my wife.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »
I don't mean to threadjack, but I have to ask: why is it advised around here for guys to use razors instead of electric shavers? I used my previous electric shaver (a gift from my parents) for 10 years without feeling it necessary to replace the blade, and only got rid of it because the battery completely died and it was poorly designed such that it wouldn't work while plugged in. The new one I bought (for $15 on sale) does work while plugged in, so I expect it to last essentially forever.

Even cheap regular safety razors would be more expensive in comparison, would they not?

Incidentally, I'm glad for this thread -- this sounds like a good alternative to safety razors for my wife.

My blades are $0.05 each and I use one per week, for a total of $2.50 per year. It costs about that again for soap, so $5 per year all-in. The razor and brush I expect to last the rest of my life, so that cost is negligible. I choose to pay this small cost over electric for a few reasons:
- I enjoy a sense of ownership, in that I could repair my razor or brush should anything break. I doubt I could do this easily with an electric; heck, it might not even be possible to open the damn thing.
- My DE safety razor is less irritating than cartridge razors, which in turn are less irritating than electrics. Maybe I haven't found the right one yet, but every electric razor I've tried has left me bumpy for days.
- There are few things better, in my opinion, than shaving in a warm shower.

Abouscent1961

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
I use Nair.  Much less expensive than waxing, plus easy and painless.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 03:18:49 AM »
I use Nair.  Much less expensive than waxing, plus easy and painless.

Nair you say... This is for the gentlemen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

;) (NSFW)

kit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »
I have very thin/fine leg hair that gets ingrown even in the places high on my thighs that I never have shaved, so using an epilator was a massive mistake. A week afterwards I looked like I had walked into a beehive.

I have a Tria that I use inconsistently (read: when I'm drunk and bored) and it definitely works. I've had real reductions in the bikini and underarm areas. However, it really only works on medium brown hair or darker, so the blond stuff on my legs isn't affected by it. At $350 it isn't cheap but I could sort of justify it based on the cost of other removal methods. In some ways, though, permanent hair removal makes a lot of sense for me in the bikini area because even without shaving stuff like riding my bike would cause horrible ingrown hairs. Getting rid of the source of the ingrown hairs really has made me a lot happier in the saddle.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »
Wish I could epilate.  I used to do it, but it gave me terrible ingrown hairs.  Not ingrown in the traditional "it turns into a pimple" sense.  More "undergrown."  They would grow right under the surface of my skin, I'd see them laying there horizontal, and my legs would itch like mad.  I guess my weak hear wasn't strong enough to break the surface.  Tried lots of exfoliation and everything, but what always ended up happening is that I would scratch my legs till they bled, and then I would get scabs, and then I would pick at them a bit, and now I've got scarred legs.

So, epilating sounds great, but isn't for everyone.  I'm stuck with a razor.  Sigh.

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
yes, it's definitely not for everyone.  the ingrown hair thing sounds terrible.  unfortunately one can't tell unless they've already bought the epilator, so it may be a waste of money for you in the end.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »
SWAMI - I laughed so hard!  Thanks for the link.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »
SWAMI - I laughed so hard!  Thanks for the link.

No Problem!  Something about the british slang makes it even more hilarious!

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »

Sometimes you don't want to start the day with 5-o'clock shadow. :P
If you really want cheap (and badass) there's the old straight razor. Though due to having folk with mental issues in the house (notably among them, myself) I've been advised not to use a straight or safety razor. So I'm stuck with the shadow from my Braun.
I don't suppose I can epilate my face, ladies?

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »
Anther way to go is sugaring.  You cook lemon juice and sugar till it makes a nice syrup, let it cool, and then use as normal wax.  Lovely smell, washes easily and very nice waxing.  A roommate taught me years ago.  She was from Iran where this technique was very common.  Super cheap, too!

Here is a site explaining in more detail:

http://tipnut.com/body-sugaring/

lanna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 12:53:52 AM »
I just try my first hair removal with epilator, too. I wanna try it because I heard that it will hurt at first time after that it will hurt less, but waxing is a pain to do every time. Now I've epilated myself for several time and feel that it does not hurt at all. Fortunately, I decided to try it. Just found a site http://www.bestsellingreviews.com/Personal-Care/Epilator/ that suggest about top epilator models, I think it's a good place to start researching hair removal machine.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:22:54 AM by lanna »

Laina83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 06:37:27 AM »
Anther way to go is sugaring.  You cook lemon juice and sugar till it makes a nice syrup, let it cool, and then use as normal wax.  Lovely smell, washes easily and very nice waxing.  A roommate taught me years ago.  She was from Iran where this technique was very common.  Super cheap, too!

Here is a site explaining in more detail:

http://tipnut.com/body-sugaring/

Just tried this over the weekend and it was amazing! Super effective and easy. Thanks for the link! Also, I have had a cheapie epilator for almost 10 years now which still works fantastic. I agree, both methods are big money savers over time. The epilator was less than $30 on amazon and I've saved so much on razors over the years.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
I hesitate with this one --especially since it's only my second post ever, but what the hell, I'll jump into the fray as a heretic-- but...wouldn't it be a bit more badass to let it grow?  Just sayin'. 

Can't say that I'm a total hippie about it because I do occasionally shave The Places That Count, but if your partner is on-board, or you don't have a partner, who cares?  If you don't like showing the world your leg fuzz, wear long pants more often.

In this as in all things, there are many options.  ;-)

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »

I've yet to find an electric shaver that works well on the actual sack.
For every other area down there they work quite well though.

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 04:33:45 PM »
I hesitate with this one --especially since it's only my second post ever, but what the hell, I'll jump into the fray as a heretic-- but...wouldn't it be a bit more badass to let it grow?  Just sayin'. 

haha!  yes I guess this is true, and it would keep you warmer in the winter.  to me it feels a little more sexy to be bare.  and, try as I might to not care what others think, I wouldn't want to scare off people on my swim team.